Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Murder on my street overnight

Old 06-11-19, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Murder on my street overnight

We get the physical newspaper Thursday - Sunday. Digital only mon, tues and wed.
Old 06-11-19, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I want to hear more about this taser class.

Is it the class where the officers all get zapped so they know what it feels like? A dealer told me that modern tasers will put someone down for 10-15 minutes, giving me lots of time to get away. Is that true? He stocked only one model that was mild enough for people to hit each other for "fun". Yes, I asked him.
I’ve taken taser training. It runs on 5 second cycles but you can tase the subject numerous times (which is why you don’t see cops removing the wires until the suspect is completely under control). I’ve pulled out the barbs from suspects as well. You’ve got to rip it out fast, like a bandaid.

I’ve been tased myself but never shot with barbs. They were just taped on to me. It hurts like a bitch for those 5 seconds and then you’re super sore for a few days but it doesn’t incapacitate you for 10-15 minutes. The majority of the “shock” comes from between where the two taser barbs land on your body. It won’t compete the arc if only one barb hits you and one misses you so both wires need to land firmly on the person’s body.

You’re also supposed to yell “taser, taser!” before you shoot to make sure other officers get out of the way but in the heat of the moment no one ever yells that. I’ve accidentally been “drive stunned” while wrestling a suspect because the other officer didn’t warn me and shocked my hand.
Old 06-12-19, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The guy went a little easy on me. He kept the barbs pretty close together, may 9 or 10 versus the full 12 inches of separation. It's intense pain for 5 seconds then it's over. Since there is no injury there is no residual pain. The spots where the barbs hit were a little sore but I didn't have much muscle soreness. They do keep you on the ground for a few minutes so you can get your legs under you. We had one kid get hit with the newest Taser 7. Designed to hit harder to penetrate thicker clothing and cycle faster. He popped right up when it was over. Not sure where your buddy is getting 10 - 15 minutes. Maybe you can still feel some residual wooziness but no way are you incapacitated. Had it been an adrenaline charged situation I would have gotten right back up.

I've heard some women say childbirth is worse. Maybe not the intensity but because of the duration, they said getting tased was easier than giving birth.
Old 06-15-19, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Quick update for a point Slop brought up. Naturally we have no way of knowing what might have happened if.... however I can say this does not fit the typical scenario of an easy access gun which can be blamed had it not been there or been harder to retrieve. This was not a handgun in the nightstand or a shotgun in the corner. It was a .22 rifle, not your typical self defense weapon of choice. It was also tucked away in the closet that he had to go get. Apparently the fight was over loud music the roommate was playing in the middle of the night. The argument had been going on for some time and had been escalating. No one deserves to be shot in their own room but playing loud music at 4 in the morning when roommates are trying to sleep it's no wonder things escalated.
Old 06-15-19, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, it seems like we as a society emphasize standing up for your rights so much that we've lost the ability to deescalate situations anymore.