Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

People who would not be immortalized or considered legends if they did not die early?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

People who would not be immortalized or considered legends if they did not die early?

Old 06-09-19, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Who are some of the people that come to mind actors, musicians, or other fields that are universally considered good or great because they died early in life but maybe if they lived longer they probably would not have achieved legendary status?

Chris Farley.

I like him and he was funny but maybe over time he would not not be considered a great comic after a couple of co-starring roles in some Sandler flicks and a mediocre CBS sitcom.

JFK was great but if he let us stay in Vietnam he probably would not have been considered this great president.
Old 06-09-19, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: People who would not be immortalized or considered legends if they did not die early?

Amy Winehouse.
Old 06-09-19, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: People who would not be immortalized or considered legends if they did not die early?

She is overrated.
Old 06-09-19, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Kurt Cobain.
Old 06-09-19, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Even Buddy Holly's brother said, "He was good, but not that good."
Old 06-09-19, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Jesus
Old 06-09-19, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by phryzbe View Post
Jesus
Damnit! (I would have said Jesus Christ, though.)

I'll second Chris Farley, and possibly John Candy as well.
Old 06-09-19, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll say Heath Ledger.
Old 06-09-19, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Definitely Kurt Cobain.
He would've been like most grunge bands from the early 90's - irrelevant.

I'd also say Elvis. His last few years were embarrassing and his early death overshadowed it. Had he not died on the shitter, the next 10-20 years of crap would've wiped out his legacy entirely.
Old 06-09-19, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Selena
Tupac
John Belushi
Jimi Hendrix
Bob Marley
Bruce Lee
James Dean
Marilyn Monroe
Bob Marley
River Phoenix
Not a person, but probably very few people today would have ever heard of a ship called "Titanic" if it had not hit an iceberg and sank.
Old 06-09-19, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Y’all are adorable. Most of the folks in this thread had more talent in the tip of their pinkie finger than 1,000 of us put together.

Chris Farley was way talented but I do not think anyone has turned the man into a myth and then into a legend. Heath Ledger was in one of the best teen rom coms, an Oscar nominated (winning?) Ang Lee film, and one of the best Superhero films of all time...so scratch what I was going to say that he, like Chris Farley, was very talented but not legendary, because I could have seen him eventually being considered by many as an actors actor as he continued to star in more high quality films.

Selena, Bruce Lee...seriously, get the frick outta town with that baloney. Put together a quality portfolio of music/films like these two did and see how you would feel if I said your work was going to be considered over-rated if you pass young.

Yeesh...maybe I am being punked or something like that with this thread. Anyway, I guess this is considered a thread crap so I will stop.

Last edited by Inhumans99; 06-09-19 at 11:59 PM.
Old 06-09-19, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Brad Nowell. Sublime would be forgotten if he hadn’t died.
Old 06-10-19, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Kurt D View Post
Damnit! (I would have said Jesus Christ, though.)

I'll second Chris Farley, and possibly John Candy as well.
Nonsense. He was well loved, long before his death.
Old 06-10-19, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ritchie Valens
Old 06-10-19, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
Ritchie Valens
Nobody considers him legendary. Most only had a vague awareness of his existence before LA Bamba came out.

I do think James Dean became far more iconic due to his early death and more specifically the way that he died.

Oh and here's an easy one : Pat Tillman
Old 06-10-19, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
Not a person, but probably very few people today would have ever heard of a ship called "Titanic" if it had not hit an iceberg and sank.
Old 06-10-19, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
Brad Nowell. Sublime would be forgotten if he hadnít died.
I donít know. I think he probably would have gone on to make some more interesting music. Maybe even a couple more hits. His contemporaries like No Doubt and The Offspring arenít forgotten. And those bands didnít have anyone die.
Old 06-10-19, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Nobody considers him legendary. Most only had a vague awareness of his existence before LA Bamba came out.

I do think James Dean became far more iconic due to his early death and more specifically the way that he died.

Oh and here's an easy one : Pat Tillman
Regarding James Dean. Itís the fact that he went three for three. Three exceptional performances, all in the new method style. And two were released after his death, so itís like the ďWhat might have been?Ē question is pretty strong. Itís unlikely that he would have dropped off and never made a great film again.
Old 06-10-19, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Even Buddy Holly's brother said, "He was good, but not that good."
Except he WAS that good. He literally invented the rock and roll band (two guitars, bass guitar, drums), and introduced a lot of concepts to the genre like double tracking (although those did come from country music). I can't even imagine what he would have been able to accomplish had he lived, and been exposed to more music, how he would have incorporated that into rock and roll.

Not sure if he's considered "legendary", but Darby Crash gets way more props than a drug-addled punk singer should have gotten. Same with Sid Vicious.
Old 06-10-19, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
Brad Nowell. Sublime would be forgotten if he hadn’t died.
Didn't Sublime help create Ska in the 90s? If that's true I wouldn't say they'd be forgotten.
Old 06-10-19, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Inhumans99 View Post
Yíall are adorable. Most of the folks in this thread had more talent in the tip of their pinkie finger than 1,000 of us put together.
You're not wrong, but remember that artists are judged by their latest output, and often just fade away. Very few manage to maintain a level of excellence over decades. Imagine if Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin released a disco record in the late 1970's in a desperate bid to stay relevant, for instance.
Old 06-10-19, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
Didn't Sublime help create Ska in the 90s? If that's true I wouldn't say they'd be forgotten.
Ska started in the late 50s, so no. Worst case, some 90s frat guys never would have discovered ska.
Old 06-10-19, 10:01 AM

Tupac and Heath Ledger have both been mentioned and they get my votes for one and two. Tupac was a shitty human being and Ledger was a shitty Joker.
Old 06-10-19, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

[color=left=#222222]Bruce Lee[/color]
False. Bruce Lee's contributions to martial arts cinema, the martial arts, bodybuilding and fitness that he would have no issue being considered a legend if he lived a long life.

Now Brandon Lee however would apply.
Old 06-10-19, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
You're not wrong, but remember that artists are judged by their latest output, and often just fade away. Very few manage to maintain a level of excellence over decades. Imagine if Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin released a disco record in the late 1970's in a desperate bid to stay relevant, for instance.
I'm afraid that would have happened to Elvis had he lived. Like Coral said, his last few years were pretty bad. All he was doing the last years of his life were cover songs of other artists. I can totally see Elvis doing many Disco albums in the 80's had he had been around.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.