Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

People who would not be immortalized or considered legends if they did not die early?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

People who would not be immortalized or considered legends if they did not die early?

Old 06-11-19, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: People who would not be immortalized or considered legends if they did not die early?

Sorry I meant he wins this thread.
Old 06-11-19, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: People who would not be immortalized or considered legends if they did not die early?

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post

Christianity has more followers and a much broader reach. Historically, it's had a massive influence on the world. And most other religions including Islam recognize Jesus in some way or another (prophet/teacher/...). It's not even close.
You totally miss the point of this thread. Knowing and practicing is two different things. Have you been to China and actually had random conversations with people? Stats don't mean shit. All that shows is how many people practice it. Most of that data is probably from a Western point of view.
Old 06-11-19, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
I’m done with this stupid argument but I will say this if there was just some guy named Jesus walking around being a normal guy doing normal guy things all those years ago, then he wins this debate.
I agree. I think Jesus wins this thread. His young death made his legend immortal.

Either him or Jonbenet Ramsey.
Old 06-11-19, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mrhan View Post
You totally miss the point of this thread. Knowing and practicing is two different things. Have you been to China and actually had random conversations with people? Stats don't mean shit. All that shows is how many people practice it. Most of that data is probably from a Western point of view.
This is why we need to teach more math.
Old 06-11-19, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Right... First science/the scientific process are wrong and now math and statistics (along with a bunch of other fields) don't mean shit. Going to one country and "talking to people" is how you do it.

What the flying crap is wrong with you people.
Old 06-11-19, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Right... First science/the scientific process are wrong and now math and statistics (along with a bunch of other fields) don't mean shit. Going to one country and "talking to people" is how you do it.

What the flying crap is wrong with you people.
I guess reading shit is a whole lot more than actually experiencing something. Lame.
Old 06-11-19, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah. Too much book lernin’ ‘round here.
Old 06-11-19, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

There might have been a Jesus but the Romans kept meticulous records of every person that the crucified and put to death and historians have them. No listing of anyone named Jesus anywhere. Maybe that page got lost?
Old 06-11-19, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does anyone remember how many threads were made about The Dark Knight here?
Old 06-11-19, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I guess reading shit is a whole lot more than actually experiencing something. Lame.
Yeah, no science, no math, no stats, and especially no reading!

And since the world isn't restricted to friggin' China, you still have roughly 6.15 billion people to talk to, and Buddha will still end up losing by billions. Better get going! Enjoy your experiences!
Old 06-11-19, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
There might have been a Jesus but the Romans kept meticulous records of every person that the crucified and put to death and historians have them.
That simply is not true.
Old 06-11-19, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
There might have been a Jesus but the Romans kept meticulous records of every person that the crucified and put to death and historians have them. No listing of anyone named Jesus anywhere. Maybe that page got lost?

Ok this sounds even more ludicrous
Old 06-11-19, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, no science, no math, no stats, and especially no reading!

And since the world isn't restricted to friggin' China, you still have roughly 6.15 billion people to talk to, and Buddha will still end up losing by billions. Better get going! Enjoy your experiences!
Sorry you don't have any worldy experience and get all your info from just reading. But let's go back a bit to that lame stat you showed. There is no way you can quantify that list. It's all up to debate until you can. You make it out to be that every motherfucker was polled for it. I only told you about my experience in China. It doesn't mean shit; just my opinion. Nothing more.

I can tell you about auto racing and you can read all the shit available out there, but unless you experience it yourself you don't know shit. Same goes for everything else.
Old 06-11-19, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sorry you don't have any worldy experience and get all your info from just reading. But let's go back a bit to that lame stat you showed. There is no way you can quantify that list. It's all up to debate until you can. You make it out to be that every motherfucker was polled for it. I only told you about my experience in China. It doesn't mean shit; just my opinion. Nothing more.

I can tell you about auto racing and you can read all the shit available out there, but unless you experience it yourself you don't know shit. Same goes for everything else.
So no science, no math, no stats, no reading, no polls (because you need to talk to EVERYBODY), education is crap, and "unless you experience it yourself you don't know shit".

Well, one, I've traveled, a lot, everywhere. Two, your argument is one of the stupidest things I've ever read in 19 years on this forum.
Old 06-11-19, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The guy must be a baby boomer.

Old 06-11-19, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So no science, no math, no stats, no reading, no polls (because you need to talk to EVERYBODY), education is crap, and "unless you experience it yourself you don't know shit".

Well, one, I've traveled, a lot, everywhere. Two, your argument is one of the stupidest things I've ever read in 19 years on this forum.
I am highly educated and knowing that taught me I know nothing. So I am always exploring and seeing things from all sides. You on the other hand are set in your ways. You need to be more like water my friend. Another thing I learned is I should stop arguing with idiots. It leads nowhere so I am done with this. If you respond to this post only proves you are one.
Old 06-11-19, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think we might have found the guy who writes Trump's tweets.
Old 06-11-19, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Han shot first!!!
Old 06-11-19, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If Heath hadn't posthumously won an Oscar would he be remembered as much? I think River Phoenix was a much better actor, but seems to have been more forgotten over the years.
Old 06-11-19, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
If Heath hadn't posthumously won an Oscar would he be remembered as much? I think River Phoenix was a much better actor, but seems to have been more forgotten over the years.
It's the iconic Joker role rather than the Oscar. River didn't have any really iconic parts (you can say Stand By Me, but most people can't even remember what role he played in that movie).

And I would put Brokeback Mountain up against any of River's best performances. Both careers were extremely promising and impressive -- and sadly way too short because of drugs.
Old 06-11-19, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
Very few people today would have even heard of that ship had it not sank. If it had not sunk and stayed in use for 20-30 years it would not be legendary today (and not many people would know who Kate Winslett and maybe Leonardo D. were).
The ship would be forgotten, but the actors were becoming respectable before Titanic; both of them had already been nominated for an Oscar. Of course it raised their profile considerably, but they avoided commercial material for years afterward.

As for Chris Farley, his career was already starting to flounder, as his last few movies weren't good or very successful. He would have been Shrek though.
Old 06-11-19, 07:38 PM

Imagine if Keanu Reeves died when he was young and only had a few movies under his belt, we'd probably regard him as the coolest guy on the planet instead of some washed-up has-been.
Old 06-11-19, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^^^I'd cry because John Wick would never exist.
Old 06-11-19, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Inhumans99 View Post
Y’all are adorable. Most of the folks in this thread had more talent in the tip of their pinkie finger than 1,000 of us put together.
Yeah, well, did you ever stop to think that’s because none of us died early?

check and mate, my friend!

Old 06-11-19, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
^^^I'd cry because John Wick would never exist.
John Wick, starring Will Smith.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.