Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

People who would not be immortalized or considered legends if they did not die early?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

People who would not be immortalized or considered legends if they did not die early?

Old 06-10-19, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: People who would not be immortalized or considered legends if they did not die early?

Jackson was 50 when he died, that is not that young.

Old 06-10-19, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: People who would not be immortalized or considered legends if they did not die early?

I disagree about Elvis Presley. He was 42 years old when he died. He could have lived to be 80 and made terrible music for the rest of those years and people would still listen to the good stuff from the 1950s and 1960s.
Old 06-10-19, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan View Post
Jackson was 50 when he died, that is not that young.

It's not that old though. He died well before his average life expectancy.
Old 06-10-19, 03:32 PM
Admin-Thanos

Is Phil Hartman a legend?
Old 06-10-19, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Not a chance in hell.
well, we'll never really know. The first thing most people will think of when they hear the names of many of the people on the list is their early demise. When people bring up the name Selena, they will likely first recall that she died young and was murdered before they think about her music.
Old 06-10-19, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bruce Lee?? Holy fuck, no.
Old 06-10-19, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
Is Phil Hartman a legend?
I really don't think his death made him any more famous than he already was, he certainly doesn't seem to have any kind of "legend" status. But his death was incredibly sad and pointless, I was a big fan of his, and that one hurt.
Old 06-10-19, 04:44 PM

Vincent van Gogh died at 37. He sold only one painting during his lifetime.
Jeff Buckley drowned at 29 before recording his second album.
Otis Redding died in a plane crash at 25. Dock of the Bay, his biggest selling record was released after he died.
Jim Croce finished recording his third album a week before he died in a plane crash. Several more albums were released after he died.
Old 06-10-19, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
It's not that old though. He died well before his average life expectancy.
If he lived the average life span of an American male he was in the last 25 years of his life.

On the other hand, Joplin, Morrison and Hendrix all died at 27. That is what I would consider young.
Old 06-10-19, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Bruce Lee?? Holy fuck, no.
And when I read that Bruce Lee would have faded away, much like Selena, I thought who the heck is Selena? I thought that was a typo and meant Serena (whatttttttttt! she ain't even dead!). And after a minute or two I go... oh yeah, I think I heard about her when she died and vaguely remember J Lo playing her in a movie. So if she was some sort of worldwide icon, it flew straight over my head.

Edited: I guess i'm not the only one.

Some Americans who were unaware of the singer and her popularity criticized the attention she and her murder received from both the media and the Latino community. Radio personality Howard Stern mocked Selena's murder, burial, and her mourners and criticized her music, playing her songs with gunshots in the background, causing an uproar among the Latino population.
Same with Farley. Might have seen him in a thing or two, but I can name/remember a shitload of comics and he barely registers.

Last edited by eXcentris; 06-10-19 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06-10-19, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

same with Bruce Lee. He would have faded into obsurity after awhile.
This might be one of the most preposterous things I've ever read on this forum. And that's saying a lot.
Old 06-10-19, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Paul Walker

People thought he was this great talent when he died but he could not act for shit.
Old 06-10-19, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Howard Stern was 100% right about Salenna. She was big in parts of Mexico and Texas. She was poised to blow up big, but she was far from being a superstar. Nobody knew (outside of those places) who she was. The story was so tragic it made great news. It was sensationalized.
Old 06-10-19, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, I view the question as "who would not likely be a household name today had they not died young". or "who is well known among even by the younger genertion today who may not have been born when these people were alive. Like I said with the remark about the Titanic. Very few people today would have even heard of that ship had it not sank. If it had not sunk and stayed in use for 20-30 years it would not be legendary today (and not many people would know who Kate Winslett and maybe Leonardo D. were).

I think someone people know who Michael Jackson is, not because he died young, but because his music is so much a part of our pop culture. same with Elvis maybe

Selena would have faded away or would not be as well known had she not died young. She would have ended up with a career like Shakira where she would have a following but wouldnt be known by nearly everyone. same with Bruce Lee. He would have faded into obsurity after awhile.
Ok, since you know nothing about Bruce Lee here's why he would not have faded into obscurity if he did not die young, because of all his contributions he made.

Movies/TV:
-Portrayed the first Asian costumed superhero(well sort of super hero) in The Green Hornet as Kato.
-Was the biggest movie star in Hong Kong.
-Was the first Asian to headline a hugely successful movie for a major US studio with Enter the Dragon.
-Was partly responsible for the Kung Fu craze of the 70's along with Kung Fu.
-Was the first actor to use Nuchucku in cinema.

Martial Arts:
-Was the first to teach Westerners Kung Fu despite the anger of other local Kung Fu instructors.
-Was one of the first people to develop his own martial art.
-Was one of the first people to see the value in not sticking to one style of martial arts but in cross training in order to address weaknesses in the martial art you are currently practicing.
-Was one of the first martial artists to see the value in training grappling with striking to the point that Dana White referred to him as the father of mixed martial arts.

Fitness/Bodybuilding
-Was one of the fist martial artists to see the value of weigh training to practicing martial arts.
-Was one of the first who saw a benefit to running and training like a boxer as well as combining old school boxing training with weights for health benefits.
-Showed that you can have an amazing body and be ripped without being huge and bulky.
-To this day he's still on the cover of bodybuilding magazines because of his physique.
Old 06-10-19, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post

I knew who he was, but I get your point.

John Lennon did a lot of shitty stuff and made a lot of bad music. Had he lived longer I think he would have made more bad music and done more dumb things to the point it would have been abundantly clear to everyone and his reputation would have suffered.
I have to believe had Lennon lived longer he would have had a solo career as long as any of the other Beatles did. Iím sure he would have had ups and downs, but he no doubt would still be considered a legend for his Beatles work alone.
Old 06-10-19, 07:41 PM
Admin-Thanos

For Yankees fans Thurman Munson is a legend. Would he have the same status if he lived and finished out his career?
Old 06-10-19, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post

I have to believe had Lennon lived longer he would have had a solo career as long as any of the other Beatles did.
Only if he'd kept Yoko out of the recording studio. That bitch could screech the paint off a car.
Old 06-10-19, 09:46 PM

[QUOTE=robin2099;13563274]Ok, since you know nothing about Bruce Lee here's why he would not have faded into obscurity if he did not die young, because of all his contributions he made.

Movies/TV:
-Portrayed the first Asian costumed superhero(well sort of super hero) in The Green Hornet as Kato.
-Was the first Asian to headline a hugely successful movie for a major US studio with Enter the Dragon.
/QUOTE]

Since I am the movie guru I do know that enter the Dragon came out about a month after Bruce Lee's death. Just like The Dark Knight owed a lot of its success and ticket sales to Heath Ledger's death, Enter the Dragon's success was also due to the death of Bruce Lee. The mild success of The Crow is also due to the death of Bruce Lee's son, Brandon.
Old 06-10-19, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

If not mentioned yet, I guess the younger Lee, Brandon, would count. He became a household name due to his untimely death.

ETA I see robin2099 beat me on page one ...
Old 06-10-19, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by robin2099 View Post
Ok, since you know nothing about Bruce Lee here's why he would not have faded into obscurity if he did not die young, because of all his contributions he made.

Movies/TV:
-Was partly responsible for the Kung Fu craze of the 70's along with Kung Fu.
-Was the first actor to use Nuchucku in cinema.

Martial Arts:
-Was the first to teach Westerners Kung Fu despite the anger of other local Kung Fu instructors.
-Was one of the first people to develop his own martial art.
-Was one of the first people to see the value in not sticking to one style of martial arts but in cross training in order to address weaknesses in the martial art you are currently practicing.
-Was one of the first martial artists to see the value in training grappling with striking to the point that Dana White referred to him as the father of mixed martial arts.

Fitness/Bodybuilding
-Was one of the fist martial artists to see the value of weigh training to practicing martial arts.
-Was one of the first who saw a benefit to running and training like a boxer as well as combining old school boxing training with weights for health benefits.
-Showed that you can have an amazing body and be ripped without being huge and bulky.
-To this day he's still on the cover of bodybuilding magazines because of his physique.
All that and he still inspires to this very day people in other walks of life. The documentary "I Am Bruce Lee" pretty much says it all even though it's a fluff piece.
Old 06-10-19, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by mrhan View Post
All that and he still inspires to this very day people in other walks of life. The documentary "I Am Bruce Lee" pretty much says it all even though it's a fluff piece.
https://www.closerweekly.com/posts/b...movies-160571/
Old 06-10-19, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bruce was a highly flawed person. I think that is the reason I kept being drawn to him. I do credit Shannon and Linda for keeping his legacy alive even though I don't agree with much of what they say. I remember reading years ago that Shannon said "I don't really remember my dad. He was more of a shadow figure. I was only four years old at the time of his death" --- something like that. But now she says all kinds of details about about Bruce. Weird. I wish I could find that old article. I'm sure I still have it in one of my old martial arts magazines.
Old 06-10-19, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think it's too early to consider mosy of these people legends

Sublime would still be on the radio had Newell lived, they're a catchy band that ended with a super catchy album, and they would have easily rode the fame wave with their friends in No Doubt. Newell was never really immortalized it's just 90s pop-punk refuses to die.

Bruce Lee would have been a legend either way, due to his core fans, and he remains one of the few famous martial art stars. Jackie Chan hasn't done shit in ages and is still immortalized doe his.earlier roles as well.

Amy Winehouse was talented but other than a few documentaries about lost potential I again don't see a ton of legend making, England maybe?

Marilyn Monroe probably would have likely remained famous and quietly faded to then background like so many stars of her era, I woulda say her dying young immortalized her. Same goes for James Dean.

It feels like Cobain's and Nirvana's legacy and influence has finally dissapated. Seemed like it never would for a while there.

Also the auto correct on this site via mobile is fucking atrocious.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-10-19 at 11:25 PM.
Old 06-11-19, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

With the exception of Jesus and maybe Hitler, The Beatles are the most famous people to have ever lived.
Old 06-11-19, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
With the exception of Jesus and maybe Hitler, The Beatles are the most famous people to have ever lived.
Except one of these people was imaginary.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.