Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

People who would not be immortalized or considered legends if they did not die early?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

People who would not be immortalized or considered legends if they did not die early?

Old 06-10-19, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Re: People who would not be immortalized or considered legends if they did not die early?

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post

I don’t know. I think he probably would have gone on to make some more interesting music. Maybe even a couple more hits. His contemporaries like No Doubt and The Offspring aren’t forgotten. And those bands didn’t have anyone die.
Exactly. They had years of hits. “Sublime,” The band’s breakout album, came out two months after Nowell died. It was a big part of the marketing. He went from loser surfer bro to Kurt Cobain without doing anything but dying
Old 06-10-19, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: People who would not be immortalized or considered legends if they did not die early?

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post

Ska started in the late 50s, so no. Worst case, some 90s frat guys never would have discovered ska.
And even if you only refer to so-called "third wave ska", that was already in full swing long before Sublime started making music.
Old 06-10-19, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
You're not wrong, but remember that artists are judged by their latest output, and often just fade away. Very few manage to maintain a level of excellence over decades. Imagine if Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin released a disco record in the late 1970's in a desperate bid to stay relevant, for instance.
I hear what you’re saying, but consider The Beach Boys. The quality of their music dropped off considerably, and audiences weren’t interested in their new music, but nobody ever said, “ In light of the fact that 25 Big Ones sucks, I’m going to go back and reevaluate All Summer Long as being bad, and I’m going to stop buying their old records.”
Old 06-10-19, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Shaking my head that people think ska was started by some fat white surfer punk dudes from Long Beach
Old 06-10-19, 10:23 AM

Yeah, everybody knows that "No Doubt" created Ska.
Old 06-10-19, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Exactly. They had years of hits. “Sublime,” The band’s breakout album, came out two months after Nowell died. It was a big part of the marketing. He went from loser surfer bro to Kurt Cobain without doing anything but dying
Nobody really lauded him as a genius, or the leader of a style or scene. He was just a talented singer songwriter who recorded some of his most radio friendly hits shortly before dying. I’m not aware of any Jim Morrison like worship of the guy.
Old 06-10-19, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Yeah, everybody knows that "No Doubt" created Ska.
Philistine. It was the Mighty Mighty Bosstones.
Old 06-10-19, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Prior to his death nobody considered him a loser.
Old 06-10-19, 10:30 AM

Probably the safest prediction I could make is that without the death of Kurt Cobain there would have been no Foo Fighters, beyond maybe an album or two.
Old 06-10-19, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
Tupac and Heath Ledger have both been mentioned and they get my votes for one and two. Tupac was a shitty human being and Ledger was a shitty Joker.
Agree with these.

Brandon Lee was another good mention.

John F. Kennedy

Ones I disagree with off the top of my head:
Chris Farley
John Candy
Kurt Cobain
John Belushi
Jimi Hendrix
Bob Marley
Bruce Lee
James Dean
Marilyn Monroe
Bob Marley
Old 06-10-19, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'll also fling you a John Lennon.
Old 06-10-19, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kurt D View Post
I'll also fling you a John Lennon.
wtf? really? Paul is still alive and is also "immortalized" and considered a legend, and John is at least as deserving of the same.
Old 06-10-19, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Just kidding with that one, couldn't help myself ...
Old 06-10-19, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thats because prior to his death nobody knew who he was.
And Tupac was a piece of shit not this black genius everybody claims he was.
Old 06-10-19, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Chris Farley is the first name that comes to mind....he was funny at times but I always considered him a second rate Jim Belushi.
Old 06-10-19, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nobody? I’ll always take a bet against an absolute statement.
Old 06-10-19, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Shaking my head that people think ska was started by some fat white surfer punk dudes from Long Beach
Sublime hurt the reputation of 'real' ska/dub.

Would Courtney Love count? she didnt die but she would not been as famous if her husband did not die early
Old 06-10-19, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jaymole View Post
Chris Farley is the first name that comes to mind....he was funny at times but I always considered him a second rate Jim Belushi.
A second-rate JIM Belushi? That's cold.

A lot of Farley's bits were solely due to his weight. I mean, can you think of anything funnier than him doing a side-by-side Chippendale's audition with Patrick Swayze, where 'they're both being seriously considered?? Yet he did show comic chops when it came to something like The Chris Farley Show. "Um, remember when you were in the Beatles?" to Paul friggin' McCartney.

But if his career depended on fat jokes, yeah, it probably would get old fast.
Old 06-10-19, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
And Tupac was a piece of shit not this black genius everybody claims he was.
I’m not saying you’re wrong about Tupac, but it’s entirely possible to be a genius and a piece of shit. Look at John Lennon, or Steve Jobs, or Bobby Fischer, or Thomas Edison.

Sometimes i think a Venn diagram of “genius” and “piece or shit” might be a single circle.
Old 06-10-19, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
Nonsense. He was well loved, long before his death.
Yeah, I can't agree with John Candy at all. He wasn't just a flash in the pan actor and was around for quite a while and well beloved.
Old 06-10-19, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
I knew who he was, but I get your point.

John Lennon did a lot of shitty stuff and made a lot of bad music. Had he lived longer I think he would have made more bad music and done more dumb things to the point it would have been abundantly clear to everyone and his reputation would have suffered.
Old 06-10-19, 12:21 PM

?

The Double Fantasy album, his last, was quite popular (whether or not it was "good" is up to the listener). He was very much a relevant musician at the time of his death. No reason to believe subsequent releases wouldn't have been popular too.
Old 06-10-19, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
Tupac and Heath Ledger have both been mentioned and they get my votes for one and two. Tupac was a shitty human being and Ledger was a shitty Joker.

Old 06-10-19, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Inhumans99 View Post
Y’all are adorable. Most of the folks in this thread had more talent in the tip of their pinkie finger than 1,000 of us put together.

Chris Farley was way talented but I do not think anyone has turned the man into a myth and then into a legend. Heath Ledger was in one of the best teen rom coms, an Oscar nominated (winning?) Ang Lee film, and one of the best Superhero films of all time...so scratch what I was going to say that he, like Chris Farley, was very talented but not legendary, because I could have seen him eventually being considered by many as an actors actor as he continued to star in more high quality films.

Selena, Bruce Lee...seriously, get the frick outta town with that baloney. Put together a quality portfolio of music/films like these two did and see how you would feel if I said your work was going to be considered over-rated if you pass young.

Yeesh...maybe I am being punked or something like that with this thread. Anyway, I guess this is considered a thread crap so I will stop.
Well, I view the question as "who would not likely be a household name today had they not died young". or "who is well known among even by the younger genertion today who may not have been born when these people were alive. Like I said with the remark about the Titanic. Very few people today would have even heard of that ship had it not sank. If it had not sunk and stayed in use for 20-30 years it would not be legendary today (and not many people would know who Kate Winslett and maybe Leonardo D. were).

I think someone people know who Michael Jackson is, not because he died young, but because his music is so much a part of our pop culture. same with Elvis maybe

Selena would have faded away or would not be as well known had she not died young. She would have ended up with a career like Shakira where she would have a following but wouldnt be known by nearly everyone. same with Bruce Lee. He would have faded into obsurity after awhile.
Old 06-10-19, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
same with Bruce Lee. He would have faded into obsurity after awhile.
Not a chance in hell.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.