Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Have you picked up hitchhikers?

Old 06-10-19, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Have you picked up hitchhikers?

Old 06-12-19, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So what do you think has changed in society now? What makes hitchhiking so dangerous now vs. decades past. Is is just crazier now? Are there a lot more serial murders now vs. before? And if so why? Or is it we just hear about it a lot more because of the speed of information?
Old 06-12-19, 07:09 AM

I think we have a bigger culture of fear today. Whether it's warranted or not - or aimed in the right direction(s) is debatable.
Old 06-12-19, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

its probably actually safer now since most people have cell phones and are traceable. Also, there are a lot more cameras everywhere.
Old 06-12-19, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Exactly. People just think it's more dangerous nowadays simply because we've had decades of reminders in media about the risks hitchhiking entails.
Old 06-12-19, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There are plenty of statistics showing that violent crime is down. But people have become more fearful.

When I was hitchhiking, I hated going to work on Sundays. Church-going people didn't pick up riders. Now everyone acts like those 1980s church-goers.
Old 06-12-19, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ok, fair enough. So would any of the last few posters let their wives, daughters, or sons hitchhike? Or is the world just being paranoid...

Last edited by Giantrobo; 06-14-19 at 08:31 AM.
Old 06-12-19, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I remember I once picked up two hitchhikers. One said his name was Ford and the other was an odd jittery English bloke in his bathrobe.
Old 06-12-19, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not sure if this counts...

Last summer,, the wife and I went into Chicago to see one of our favorite bands. We were driving around before the show, looking for a place to eat, and saw the bassist and guitarist standing on the sidewalk, looking at a phone, and seeming confused. We called over and asked what was up. They said they were looking for a liquor store on a particular street. We told them to hop in, and took them there and dropped them off. They thanked us for the ride, said they'd walk back.
Old 06-12-19, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by story View Post
I think we have a bigger culture of fear today. Whether it's warranted or not - or aimed in the right direction(s) is debatable.
Some of that concern is warranted though. I won't say fear is but concern is warranted. Not just talking about hitchhiking. For instance:

This is not acceptable today. It wasn't even acceptable to do it back then we just didn't know any better. Yeah we were more carefree in the 70's but that doesn't mean what we did back then was safe. So was it more naivete/we didn't care then or is it more fear now? A lot of people used to not lock their doors back then but now if you don't someone is going to be coming in your door. Even in nice neighborhoods there's still a good amount of crime where there used to not be.

Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
its probably actually safer now since most people have cell phones and are traceable. Also, there are a lot more cameras everywhere.
But that really only helps catch the people who did it right? Not actually prevent it from happening.

Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post
Exactly. People just think it's more dangerous nowadays simply because we've had decades of reminders in media about the risks hitchhiking entails.
Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Ok, fair enough. So would any of the last few poster let their wives, daughters, or sons hitchhike? Or is the world just being paranoid...
I agree. It's just not a good idea. So does that mean it was never a good idea and we were just blissful in our ignorance or is it being increasingly dangerous to do so now? Who knows I guess.
Old 06-13-19, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

In college I would get offers for rides a lot when I was walking. Once I got a ride from Sebastian Bach’s brother, who recognized me from the hotel where I was a waiter (he was a hockey player living there while he played for a local team). Nice guy.

Another time I was walking to a store to get boxes to move. A guy offered a ride, and it was a long walk and a hot day, so I said yes. He took me to his office, where they had a lot of paper boxes, then drove me to my dorm and helped me carry them in. When we were done, he kind of arched his back in an attempt at seduction and asked if there was anything else he could do. I suddenly realized this was all an attempt to pick me up. I apologized and said no.

i went downstairs to meet some friends and my girlfriend. “You’ll never guess what happened, a guy stopped to pick me up and...”

My girlfriend cut in with “He wanted to sleep with you,”

I guess I was pretty clueless.
Old 06-13-19, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did you have to give back the boxes?
Old 06-13-19, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

I used those boxes for several moves. They were good boxes. But not sleeping with a 50-year-old good.
Old 06-13-19, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A couple of years ago I was getting gas and a guy approached me saying his truck had broken down and if I could give him a ride. I hesitated but then he offered me $50. The whole time I had him in the car I kept thinking what the hell am I doing. Luckily it worked out but I donít think Iíd ever do it again.
Old 06-14-19, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My aunt was a hippie in the 60's. She hitchhiked from Rochester, NY to California with her dog. I remember my grandmother had a fit. What could she do? My aunt was an adult. Albeit a dirty, pot smoking, unwashed hippie flowerchild, commie lib.

We used to do it a little bit in the 70's both hitchiking and picking up hitchhikers. Even by the late 70's it was starting to fall out of favor. More young people had cars. More people were concerned over the danger whether real or imagined.
Old 06-14-19, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Reminds me of the old joke. Have you ever had a homosexual encounter? Just the once but I really needed the ride.