Reload this Page >

Walmart service to deliver groceries inside customers' homes

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 06-07-19, 01:37 PM
Political Exile

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Even though delivery employees will be required to wear a camera on their heads, I can still see a lot of potential for them doing bad things inside customers' homes, while turning the camera around to face behind them instead of in front of them. I don't see this going well.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...homes-63551906

June 7, 2019

The online delivery wars are heating up inside shoppers' homes.

Walmart is now offering to have one of its employees deliver fresh groceries and put them in your refrigerator when you're not home.

The nation's largest grocer said Friday that it will be offering the service this fall for more than one million customers in three cities: Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Missouri, and Vero Beach, Florida. Later this year, the service, called InHome Delivery, will also accept returns for items purchased on Walmart.com.

Two years ago, Walmart tested a similar service in the Silicon Valley area but teamed up with delivery startup Deliv and worked with August Home, makers of smart locks and smart home accessories. That test has since been stopped.

The new service is part of Walmart's drive to expand its shopping options that include curbside pickup and online grocery delivery.

Amazon offers a similar service in certain cities, dropping off packages inside homes, garages or car trunks. But the service is not for groceries.

With Walmart's new service, customers place a grocery delivery order online and then select InHome Delivery and a delivery day at checkout.

Walmart workers will use smart entry technology and a proprietary wearable camera to access the customer's home. That allows shoppers to control access into their home and give them the ability to watch the delivery remotely.

Walmart said that the workers will go through an extensive training program that would prepare them for things like how to select the freshest groceries and how best to organize the refrigerator.
Walmart declined to give specifics on the technology. It said it will share the fee details ahead of the fall launch.

"Now, we can serve customers not in just the last mile, but in the last 15 feet," wrote Marc Lore, CEO of Walmart's U.S. e-commerce division, in a corporate blog post.

With Amazon's service, customers need to be an Amazon Prime member and they have to buy a camera and a Wi-Fi-connected lock from the Seattle-based company that starts at $250. Shoppers will then be able to select in-home delivery on the Amazon app. When the delivery person shows up, he or she will knock first and scan the package, then Amazon will make sure the delivery person is at the right home and unlock the door. No codes are needed and the indoor camera will record the in-home delivery.
Old 06-07-19, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Walmart service to deliver groceries inside customers' homes

No thanks, that's just creepy. Why in the world would anyone want some stranger to come into their home and put stuff in their refrigerator? People are getting so fucking lazy.
Old 06-07-19, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe this would work for a vacation rental, but I wouldn't want someone in my regular house, with the ability to get into my paperwork and other valuables. If I were so busy that I couldn't even handle regular delivery, I'd hire someone personally rather than rely on Walmart's vetting process. As for Walmart, in addition to the camera on people, they should drug test. Normally, I think drug testing is pointless, but for jobs where you are in people's homes, testing for opiates/opiods makes total sense to prevent theft of people's meds.
Old 06-07-19, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The nation's largest grocer said Friday that it will be offering the service this fall for more than one million customers in three cities: Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Missouri, and Vero Beach, Florida.
At least when things go wrong, I'll see it on the local news.
Old 06-07-19, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

What's old is new again.. When I was growing up we had a very nice man who used to delivery fresh milk and a few other things twice a week. He had a key and would put everything where it was supposed to go and he'd usually sneak (not really) a little piece of candy for my sister and I. It wasn't creepy then.. it was just really good service. Times have changed unfortunately.
Old 06-07-19, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
Even though delivery employees will be required to wear a camera on their heads, I can still see a lot of potential for them doing bad things inside customers' homes, while turning the camera around to face behind them instead of in front of them. I don't see this going well.
Hey Walmart, PLEASE send someone into my house for a delivery who then robs it. I'd like to win a huge lawsuit against you. Thanks!

Old 06-07-19, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

This might have worked in 1950, when it was a generally more trusting and truthful world, as generally one's local community was tighter and more close-knit, but it certainly won't fly today!

This idea is doomed, and I can't believe Walmart is stupid enough to actually advertise the service. They really must have a lot of extremely lazy and very stupid, naive customers...
Old 06-07-19, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
What's old is new again.. When I was growing up we had a very nice man who used to delivery fresh milk and a few other things twice a week. He had a key and would put everything where it was supposed to go and he'd usually sneak (not really) a little piece of candy for my sister and I. It wasn't creepy then.. it was just really good service. Times have changed unfortunately.
That was when they could get away with being creepy. No one suspected back then.
Old 06-07-19, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
No thanks, that's just creepy. Why in the world would anyone want some stranger to come into their home and put stuff in their refrigerator? People are getting so fucking lazy.
This is a service that's available for the rich people, but those people hire companies or other people they trust. WM brain trust thinks they can apply this idea for their customers, who are mostly, middle to low socioeconomic class. This is how out of touch upper management is at that corporation.
Old 06-07-19, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Still waiting for Amazon’s ass-wiping service. I guess Wally World can do that as well.
Old 06-07-19, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I do grocery deliveries from Wal-Mart as a door dash driver. I don't like to do them too often as they take extra but they are very specific in that you give the groceries to the customer at their front door. This Wal-Mart service doesn't sound like a good idea at all.
Old 06-08-19, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
Still waiting for Amazon’s ass-wiping service. I guess Wally World can do that as well.
A few more years, and your wish will be granted, so great is the nanny-state we live in today! And, then Amazon will take over all your shopping and bathroom needs... All of course, while making off with an outrageous, egregious profit and bleeding your funds dry along the way... HEIL AMAZON!!
Old 06-08-19, 03:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The guy really commits to his gimmick.
Old 06-08-19, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Hey Walmart, PLEASE send someone into my house for a delivery who then robs it. I'd like to win a huge lawsuit against you. Thanks!
No kidding. Having someone rob your house is the dream scenario. You could retire off the settlement.
Old 06-08-19, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I live in Kansas City, Kansas. Dodged a bullet.

I don't shop at Walmart anyway, but if I did, no way would I sign up for this. Some dude they're paying 35 cents an hour and making him buy his own gas, what could possibly go wrong ...
Old 06-08-19, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

With home security technology being as evolved as it is this could work. Imagine you order your groceries online, then while you are away, the delivery guy FaceTimes you “I’m at your house.” You unlock the door with your phone. They unload everything and put it away while you watch. They leave and you lock the door.

I used Vons home grocery delivery for a while. Of course you had to be home. It was great when we had babies that were napping because you knew you would absolutely be at home at, say 3:00 pm.
Old 06-08-19, 07:09 PM

^ But, that's assuming too much from poor Walmart customers. Most of them wouldn't be so tech-savvy as to be able to do all of that. Now, upper middle class families with dozens of Iphones, "smart" homes, and technology up the gazoo, maybe... But, those people aren't Walmart customers, so the issue is moot...
Old 06-08-19, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They’ve been testing this service for a while. I doubt they’d roll it out nationwide if the tests hadn’t gone well.

I’ve used the Amazon Garage delivery before and its interesting. Definitely worth it if you have package theft problems in your neighborhood.

I mean letting someone into your house to clean it top to bottom is a common thing. I don’t know why it’s so much worse to have someone put your groceries away. I’d never use it because I dislike Walmart but there’s nothing that weird about the idea.
Old 06-08-19, 08:32 PM

They’ve been testing this service for a while. I doubt they’d roll it out nationwide if the tests hadn’t gone well.

Of course the tests went well. A sketchy Walmart employee is going to be a saint when they know they are being evaluated extremely closely during the testing phase.
Old 06-08-19, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Having a live camera while being closely watched the entire time should ensure you don't go where you're not supposed to go. No bathroom break or checking the panty drawer.
Old 06-08-19, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 View Post

Of course the tests went well. A sketchy Walmart employee is going to be a saint when they know they are being evaluated extremely closely during the testing phase.
And they won't be watched closely when it rolls out nationwide? What do you think is going to happen? They have to wear cameras while they deliver. If they do anything bad in a house, they are fired, possibly arrested and the homeowner wins a big lawsuit. Walmart isn't going to risk that.

Last edited by Draven; 06-08-19 at 09:52 PM.
Old 06-09-19, 04:03 AM

And they won't be watched closely when it rolls out nationwide? What do you think is going to happen?
Future burglaries will happen. Sure, the employee will not do anything while on the clock, but it's an easy way to scout the residence. And the employee doesn't even have to burglarize the place. Just tell his/her friend to do it.
Old 06-09-19, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I wouldn't let some of the people that work at the Wal-Mart in my area into my home if the police were there, let alone letting them in the house when no one is at home. No thanks, I will still go grocery shopping like we did in the 20th Century. Drive to the store, pick up what we need, pay for it, and go home and put it up ourselves.
Old 06-09-19, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Having a live camera while being closely watched the entire time should ensure you don't go where you're not supposed to go. No bathroom break or checking the panty drawer.
But, a live camera is very easy to hack, child's play in fact for some of those unsavory Walmart employees (and their minions in on the take). So, they'll figure out a quick way to fool it, then burglarize your house to ruin. Sounds fun!
Old 06-09-19, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Jesus, you're a piece of work. Better call the Impossible Mission team

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.