Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

YEAT - Receiving items daily that were never ordered

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 06-03-19, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

My sister has an issue where UPS comes by every day and delivers another package or two that are shipped to her. So far she's received about 20 things. Some plastic cutting boards, an mp3 player, toy boats for the bathtub, nintendo switch case, printable magnets, some sort of hunting camera, etc.. None of any of it are high quality items. But it's sort of freaking her out. So she called Ebay who said that they couldn't tell her who shipped them and not to worry about it - just keep the items. But she has a sneaky suspicion that someone somewhere somehow is going to tell her she needs to ship the items back or pay for them. Ebay, and also myself, told her not to worry about that. But the packages keep on coming.

So while this seems like a problem I personally wouldn't mind having.. it's bugging her. Ebay won't put a stop to it and UPS says she can refuse delivery if she's home when they deliver it but she's usually not.

Reading up on this is seems like there's a thing where companies, to show their mighty selling power, list items and have fake buyers with random addresses so they can leave the positive feedback - thus making them seem like a popular and powerful seller. Now why they wouldn't ship items to themselves.. or to folks they know.. I have no idea. The whole things is kind of odd.

Any thoughts? It's been going on for about 2 weeks now.
Old 06-03-19, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: YEAT - Receiving items daily that were never ordered

How do you know they're coming from eBay sellers? Something strange is going on...
Old 06-03-19, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If she never ordered anything, and she doesn't have to sign for the packages, then, don't worry about it.

Have a yard sale.

If someone tries to bill for the items, tell them to bill their butt.
Old 06-03-19, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Who would ship items that weren't paid for?
Old 06-03-19, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Who would leave feedback for items they didn't order? Can you even do that?
Old 06-03-19, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think the way this scam works is someone orders to an address and becomes a verified buyer to review the product that way. Its a way to get positive feedback from real orders to fake sellers. They dont expect the recipient to review the stuff but it needs to ship to register the feedback. I saw a story about this last year where some college mail room was being bombarded with sex toys. LOL
Old 06-03-19, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by jpcamb View Post
I think the way this scam works is someone orders to an address and becomes a verified buyer to review the product that way. Its a way to get positive feedback from real orders to fake sellers. They dont expect the recipient to review the stuff but it needs to ship to register the feedback. I saw a story about this last year where some college mail room was being bombarded with sex toys. LOL
Yeah I think this is it exactly (You explained it better than I did.. I'm not into Ebay at all). I told her to not worry about it.. Also all the products have the same type of inventory label on them which tells me they are all coming from the same place.

As far as how she knew they are from Ebay I'm not sure.. I've only seem the stuff already out of the boxes but she said it says Ebay on them somewhere.
Old 06-04-19, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I want my address to be put on that list.

It could be for feedback manipulation. Basically, if you need 100 feedback to keep your account in good standing, businesses will lose $4-$5 per transaction to do so. I do that with "door buster" $1 products. It's a stupid game to play. But it works. Though my orders are legitimate (I still lose money on each one).

Another scam - Amazon sellers will open an account, list 1M products, beat competitor prices, deliver the products using fake tracking #'s, and then collect their first big payment (which can be $10k+ ... but not too much, or it triggers an account review) before the account is suspended. Buyers of the product are protected by Amazon and credit card chargebacks. And Amazon eats the loss. Before Amazon caught onto this (it came to a boiling point maybe a year ago), the sellers would just say "2-4 week delivery". Amazon caught onto that. And now what you're experiencing might be the genesis of that scam. So these orders are showing delivered. But they're not the right products. And the scammer can string the buyer along until they get their first 2-week payout.
Old 06-04-19, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw a story about this last year where some college mail room was being bombarded with sex toys. LOL
First thing I thought of, there were a couple colleges in Canada last year that were receiving all kinds of things they didn't order (yes, including sex toys ). I forget the explanation, but it did have something to do with overseas sellers pulling some kind of scam with Amazon or eBay.
Old 06-04-19, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, it sounds like the products she is receiving are "Wish" type quality. A lot of that stuff costs Chinese distributors under $1. Check out the Wish app and you'll see what I mean.

So the scam is that they'll take 500 Amazon orders, totaling $7500. Then they'll ship these $1 items to random addresses using their own shipping software. Those shipments might cost $1000. They'll collect their first Amazon payout, before Amazon auto-suspends their account for chargebacks, complaints, etc. Then they have a -$7500 balance in their Amazon account that Amazon will never be able to collect.

If they shipped these wrong products to the real buyers, their account would be suspended faster than 2 weeks and they'd never receive a payout. Shipping to random addresses gives them time to string the Amazon customers along.

Not sure how she ended up on the list. Probably by random. Or maybe she bought something from a Wish app-type seller before, and her information was shared.
Old 06-04-19, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If we would do away with the cheap subsidized shipping that Chinese sellers get, then this would likely stop happening. But since they pay literally pennies on the dollar for shipping something overseas, this scam is worth it for them.
Old 06-05-19, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I want to be like this lucky couple...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...der/793580001/
Old 06-05-19, 04:45 PM

Does she have an address that would work well as a "fake", like 123 Elm Street?
Old 06-06-19, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
I want to be like this lucky couple...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...der/793580001/
Wow. I'd consider "calling a guy" if that happened to me. But I also don't want to look over my should for the next year. I honestly don't know what choice I'd make if that showed up on my doorstep.
Old 06-07-19, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does she have a drinking problem? Wouldn't be the first time I bid or ordered something to have it show up and had no idea I purchased it.
Old 06-11-19, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But General Zod's sister doesn't get scammed right? She just keeps/throws away the stuff. They're just sending it to mark it as sent? It they're going to this extent why don't they just ship an empty package or something like that.
Old 06-11-19, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
But General Zod's sister doesn't get scammed right? She just keeps/throws away the stuff. They're just sending it to mark it as sent? It they're going to this extent why don't they just ship an empty package or something like that.
It sounds like they are actually scamming Amazon with fake sales where the $ wont get collected on orders (see below.) They make fake sales, Amazon credits the account and like a Ice cream truck in NYC they are gone before Amazon realizes they payed out on fraudulent orders. Seriously messed up..

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Also, it sounds like the products she is receiving are "Wish" type quality. A lot of that stuff costs Chinese distributors under $1. Check out the Wish app and you'll see what I mean.

So the scam is that they'll take 500 Amazon orders, totaling $7500. Then they'll ship these $1 items to random addresses using their own shipping software. Those shipments might cost $1000. They'll collect their first Amazon payout, before Amazon auto-suspends their account for chargebacks, complaints, etc. Then they have a -$7500 balance in their Amazon account that Amazon will never be able to collect.

If they shipped these wrong products to the real buyers, their account would be suspended faster than 2 weeks and they'd never receive a payout. Shipping to random addresses gives them time to string the Amazon customers along.

Not sure how she ended up on the list. Probably by random. Or maybe she bought something from a Wish app-type seller before, and her information was shared.
Old 06-11-19, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If it's addressed to her and there is no record of her ordering any of it, she has nothing to worry about.