Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Amazon sells fake memory cards

Old 06-03-19, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Amazon sells fake memory cards

I know thereís a complaint thread in the store forum but I donít think thereís been anyone in there since the last Deep Discount DVD coupon.

Anyways, I bought a memory card from Amazon last year for my Nintendo Switch. I format it and plug it in and everything is fine. Then it started having issues updating games and such. I didnít think much of it and didnít have time to figure it out because it did keep working. Just not well. I finally got sick of it and decided to buy the same card on Amazon again. It then hit me that there could have been something wrong with the card. So I ran it through a program and sure enough itís only a 32 gb much slower SD card. I bought both through Amazon itself, no third party seller. I had always known that like eBay, Amazon is littered with fakes. But I always thought I was safe because for things like this I always buy it directly from them. I guess theyíve gotten so big now they donít even care to take care of their own stock. Whatís obviously happening is the program they have where they allow people to store their products at an Amazon warehouse and some underpaid and overworked employee isnít going to care if they pick a memory card from one bin or another. These fakes are really hard to tell apart from the real deal as you can see in the picture.

Old 06-03-19, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Amazon sells fake memory cards

How did you determine it was fake?
Old 06-03-19, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I used a program called h2testw it's a freeware program that some kid made in Sweden. It takes a long time because what it does is it actually writes data on the card until its full and determines the capacity as well as the read and write speed and if there are any other bad sectors.
Old 06-03-19, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What did Amazon say when you contacted them to return it?
Old 06-03-19, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
[left]I know there’s a complaint thread in the store forum but I don’t think there’s been anyone in there since the last Deep Discount DVD coupon.
This thread? It's fairly active. Last post was a week or so ago.

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-foru...on-thread.html
Old 06-03-19, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This is a major problem Amazon has had for a while, you're exactly right in that even a memory card sold directly from amazon can be picked from a pile in a warehouse that has fakes. You can read the various reviews of the memory cards on amazon and see this as well. When I bought another memory card for my switch I had to use that program to determine it was ok (which it was).

I don't think it's on the employee, it's how amazon allocates product so they can ship efficiently.

Recently I got a blu-ray from them that had no shrink wrap and was missing the digital code. They replaced it no questions asked, but I assume the same thing happened.
Old 06-03-19, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
I used a program called h2testw it's a freeware program that some kid made in Sweden. It takes a long time because what it does is it actually writes data on the card until its full and determines the capacity as well as the read and write speed and if there are any other bad sectors.
How does that mean it's counterfeit, rather than faulty?

I would contact SanDisk and ask them how you can verify it.
Old 06-03-19, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
How does that mean it's counterfeit, rather than faulty?

I would contact SanDisk and ask them how you can verify it.
It's a well known program that actually calculates how much usable space there is on the card. The fakes are all much smaller and usually slower.

Here's an amazon review for a sandisk that explains:
Amazon Amazon
Old 06-03-19, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting. Amazon has very strict supply chain rules. There is zero chance that they acquired the card from a non-OEM distributor. It's hard to say how it got mixed into the lot. It could be an error, going all the way back to the manufacturer. All it takes is one employee to transfer the wrong plate (or entire batch) to the machine that prints onto the cards.

Amazon isn't really "littered with fakes". Most big OEM's (Sony, Panasonic, etc.) have "gated" their brands against third party sellers. So you have to supply very specific invoices and credentials to be allowed to sell under those brands. And then there are a ton of "made in China" knock offs, which don't mis-represent themselves.

Amazon has a very open return policy. Go to the order and click "return this item". It'll go back to them for a refund. With pretty much zero margin of error. If they get enough "fakes" complaints, they'll investigate the product and take action as needed. But if 1000 people bought it, and only 10 people complained, it'll probably never get addressed.
Old 06-03-19, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And there are definitely fakes on Amazon. For example, I use Bumble and Bumble hair products. But I'll always buy from the salon. I once bought them on Amazon, and am pretty sure it was a counterfeit bottle, with low-end shampoo and conditioner it didn't feel or smell identical. And others said the same things under reviews. But that was a 3rd party seller, who I would not trust.

When I buy from the salon, the supply chain is more guaranteed. Chances are the salon deals with a local rep or OEM distributor. And you don't really see counterfeits when doing business like that.

Side note - I probably wrote a review about it being a counterfeit product. But Amazon wiped all of my reviews off after I left a 1 or 2 star review for a set of curtains, which resulted in a 3rd party seller paying a service to have my review removed (I posted about it earlier in this thread).
Old 06-03-19, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think memory cards are gated like you describe, TroyStiffler. It seems like they're still in the "stickerless commingled inventory" where stock doesn't have to be labeled and is mixed with stock from other third party vendors and amazon. I mean look at the reviews of most cards on amazon, there are a lot of complaints, even if it's not a minority and a lot of them are coming directly from third parties there's definitely the possibility of getting a "bad" one even ordering straight from amazon.
Old 06-03-19, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
It's a well known program that actually calculates how much usable space there is on the card. The fakes are all much smaller and usually slower.

Here's an amazon review for a sandisk that explains:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...R3LEZR7RRTC2IX
I understand the process, but I missed that his card was showing 32GB, rather than the claimed 128GB. I thought it was a smaller amount, due to bad sectors, but 1/4 of the capacity is clearly an issue.
Old 06-03-19, 09:24 AM

Slightly off-topic but but intended to be on point, I've found checking for sales at Sandisk.com can often yield same prices as on Amazon especially when they run their web sales. It may take a couple days longer for delivery but I feel comfortable ordering directly.
Old 06-03-19, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Amazon has commingled stock for years. Iím sure the products that Amazon sources are legit but they mix their stock with third party sellerís stock. It not a new thing and not the employees doing. So a third party can taint the stock with fake/defective product. Itís possible the third party doesnít even know (or maybe want to know) that his stock is fake. I love Amazon but there are some products I would only buy from Best Buy / Costco / Walmart. Best Buy will even price match.
Old 06-03-19, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Here's a pretty good article about counterfeits on Amazon:

Amazon May Have a Counterfeit Problem (The Atlantic)
Old 06-03-19, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Heh. I forgot about commingled inventory. I will absolutely never do that with my FBA merchandise.
Old 06-03-19, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not surprised. There have been tons of fake Samsung EVO 32/64gb sold on Amazon. I'm on Canadian deals forum and posts about those are usually accompanied with "this is how you tell if they are fakes".
Old 06-03-19, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Not surprised. There have been tons of fake Samsung EVO 32/64gb sold on Amazon. I'm on Canadian deals forum and posts about those are usually accompanied with "this is how you tell if they are fakes".
RFD? I had to cut back on visiting, there. All the 'deals' were costing me too much money.
Old 06-03-19, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
RFD? I had to cut back on visiting, there. All the 'deals' were costing me too much money.
Haha! It's still pretty good. I'm too lazy to buy stuff in the US and have it shipped at the border. And for some stuff, I use Aliexpress. Takes a while to get here but I'm not sure why I'd buy a "Tubshroom" for $12 when I can get it for $2. Same for cell phones actually.
Old 06-03-19, 03:23 PM

This is a good thread, my son wants one of these "memory cards" for his Switch and I assumed that buying direct from Amazon would be the safest route.
Old 06-03-19, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Amazon's not safe for sure. I got burned on a fancy lock-blade knife. Ordered it, carried it, used it for weeks. Thought the steel wasn't quite as tough as advertised. Bought and tried to install a third party pocket clip to discover the screw holes weren't correct. 10 minutes research confirmed counterfeit. After such a long time I figured Amazon would just blow me off so I gave it away (with clear notification that it was a counterfeit) and bought another from an actual knife store. The new knife is perfect!
Old 06-03-19, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike View Post
Amazon's not safe for sure. I got burned on a fancy lock-blade knife. Ordered it, carried it, used it for weeks. Thought the steel wasn't quite as tough as advertised. Bought and tried to install a third party pocket clip to discover the screw holes weren't correct. 10 minutes research confirmed counterfeit. After such a long time I figured Amazon would just blow me off so I gave it away (with clear notification that it was a counterfeit) and bought another from an actual knife store. The new knife is perfect!
I hear the same thing for stuff like Yeti mugs. But did you order it from amazon or from a third party who ships through amazon?
Old 06-03-19, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

" Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. "

But according to my research one common occurrence is a scammer orders the knife, pulls the real one out and inserts the fake one, then returns for a refund. The warehouse gets the RMA and looks to make sure the item is in new/unused condition then puts it back on the shelf.

As far as the specialty knife sellers go, they actually compare serial numbers, so their much less likely to let a counterfeit through.
Old 06-03-19, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike View Post
" Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. "

But according to my research one common occurrence is a scammer orders the knife, pulls the real one out and inserts the fake one, then returns for a refund. The warehouse gets the RMA and looks to make sure the item is in new/unused condition then puts it back on the shelf.

As far as the specialty knife sellers go, they actually compare serial numbers, so their much less likely to let a counterfeit through.
There's no seal on the box to prevent that? I've gotten counterfeit items in Amazon Warehouse before, so I'd figure if something was returned they'd put it as like new on Warehouse instead of just reshelve it if there's any doubt at all.
Old 06-03-19, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Itís called commingled inventory. Basically FBA sellers merge their inventory with Amazon inventory. Then amazon will ship theirs and vice versa if itls more efficient to do so (usually in regards to saving $$$ on shipping to closer destinations). There is a lot of heartache on the Seller Forums regarding it. It is very dangerous for sellers because your customers can end up with counterfeit goods.

Amazon is is very proactive and does not play games with sellers. If the trace one or two complaints to a seller, theyíll lock their account, hold their balance, and request oem invoices. They will verify invoices and it is rough for sellers to get reinstated.

I had a faux claim on my account once. Was in heart attack mode till it fell off my account 90 or 180 days later.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.