Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Amazon sells fake memory cards

Old 06-03-19, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Amazon sells fake memory cards

So back to commingled inventory ... itís very probable that is what happened. Some counterfeiter send in fakes. They were commingled. And it ended up as Amazons own shipment.

Counterfeits are dumb. Generics that price themselves right profit just as well. And there is no scamming going on.
Old 06-03-19, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon View Post
What did Amazon say when you contacted them to return it?
So it had been past the return period so I wasn't going to contact them about it plus I don't want to get banned but I thought screw it I'm mad enough. So contacting them through chat it took going through 4 reps (because they had kept leaving the conversation) to finally get someone to understand what I was saying. They kept immediately saying past the return period we can't do jack. And I kept telling them that they're selling fakes how can you be so nonchalant about it. Finally escalated high enough so that on rep after much convincing decided to credit me the amount. So it seems like they really don't care very much at all that they sell fakes. I guess this isn't news to them but it really has eroded a lot of trust I have in them. I've always known that they're happy to turn a blind eye to unscrupulous third party sellers but the fact that I got this card from them is unacceptable to me. Maybe it happens a lot to them but they sure didn't seem to care at all about it.

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
This thread? It's fairly active. Last post was a week or so ago.

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-foru...on-thread.html
eh...I thought it warranted it's own thread. Not like it will be a big burden on the servers or anything.

Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
Amazon has commingled stock for years. Iím sure the products that Amazon sources are legit but they mix their stock with third party sellerís stock. It not a new thing and not the employees doing. So a third party can taint the stock with fake/defective product. Itís possible the third party doesnít even know (or maybe want to know) that his stock is fake. I love Amazon but there are some products I would only buy from Best Buy / Costco / Walmart. Best Buy will even price match.
I didn't mean to say that the employees know what they are doing but Amazon clearly doesn't care about it's supply chain or reputation. And it's a top down thing. If the company doesn't care then the employees don't care.

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Itís called commingled inventory. Basically FBA sellers merge their inventory with Amazon inventory. Then amazon will ship theirs and vice versa if itls more efficient to do so (usually in regards to saving $$$ on shipping to closer destinations). There is a lot of heartache on the Seller Forums regarding it. It is very dangerous for sellers because your customers can end up with counterfeit goods.

Amazon is is very proactive and does not play games with sellers. If the trace one or two complaints to a seller, theyíll lock their account, hold their balance, and request oem invoices. They will verify invoices and it is rough for sellers to get reinstated.

I had a faux claim on my account once. Was in heart attack mode till it fell off my account 90 or 180 days later.
I really do not like the concept of commingled inventory. I didn't really know about it. I knew that some third parties do keep some stock in their warehouses but I always thought it was separated or didn't think about the possibility of fake items. So basically it's just like eBay and the wild west when it comes to their stock. I'm definitely going to be much pickier with what I purchase from them.

That's good to know about them being strict with their third party sellers although that seems difficult to believe considering all of the negative reviews of fake products on their website.

And that's another thing, I tried writing a review on the product and Amazon didn't allow it. I didn't know that they screened their reviews and won't post them if their negative. Yet another reason not to trust them. I'm sure I was really naive but still. There's a lot of sketchy stuff going on at Amazon and it's not in consumer's favor, despite their convenience and pricing.
Old 06-03-19, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What happened when you tried to post a negative review? There are a ton of negative reviews up so I'm curious what their rationale is for excluding some.
Old 06-04-19, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post
Here's a pretty good article about counterfeits on Amazon:

Amazon May Have a Counterfeit Problem (The Atlantic)
Damn that's terrible. Makes my problem seem like a drop in the bucket

...the lawsuit says that Apple bought 12 different products from Amazon, listed as ďsold by Amazon,Ē and all were counterfeit.

Helena Steele, who founded the kitchen-apparel company Jessie Steele in 2002, told me that counterfeits on Amazon are driving her out of business....She says that her sales have gone from around $5 million a year to around $500,000 a year because of competition from businesses copying her products and selling them under her name brand.

But a jury decided that Amazon wasnít to blame. ďAmazon said that even though the product is in our fulfillment center, even though we collect the money, we never take the title to itĒ and so are not legally responsible for counterfeits, Mann said.
Old 06-04-19, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
What happened when you tried to post a negative review? There are a ton of negative reviews up so I'm curious what their rationale is for excluding some.
They denied it. Some vague policy violation. Looking back it was pretty inflammatory but it was all true. I might try to sneak another one in and tone it down.
Old 06-04-19, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Slightly off topic, but years ago I purchased a series set on DVD of Star Trek: TNG directly from Amazon and got a bootleg version of it. I sent it back for an exchange and got a second bootleg version. I reached out to Amazon about this and they claimed it was an issue with their supplier (NOT Paramount/CBS I'm guessing!) and they were looking into the situation. I wound up just getting a refund and waiting for the Blu-rays to come out...but this whole "fake" issue is certainly not new.
Old 06-04-19, 07:51 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is a problem for me because I often buy spare memory cards and keep them for many months before I open. Now I'll have to check as soon as I receive.
Old 06-04-19, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
This is a problem for me because I often buy spare memory cards and keep them for many months before I open. Now I'll have to check as soon as I receive.
Or just buy from Best Buy, Target, Wal Mart, etc. Those places don't play games when verifying sources. The supply chains are relatively non-inclusive. But Amazon has that issue with 3rd party seller programs.

The rough part for 3rd party sellers, is getting caught up as a counterfeiter. If someone returns a product and marks 'inauthentic', just one or two of those can destroy a small business who relies on Amazon for sales. Then dealing with Amazon is basically like the bureaucracy seen in Terry Gilliam's Brazil. Mix in that sellers are always "test buying" competitor products and making false claims. It's stressful.
Old 06-04-19, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So when the items are co-mingled, Amazon still keeps track of which store's stock went out?
Old 06-04-19, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Or just buy from Best Buy, Target, Wal Mart, etc. Those places don't play games when verifying sources.
That's what I do. They're not that expensive anymore. I just bought one a few weeks ago. And it happened to be on sale.
Old 06-04-19, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
So when the items are co-mingled, Amazon still keeps track of which store's stock went out?
I'm guessing they can trace it back (for this exact reason ... counterfeits). But I'm not sure on that one.

Products are still marked as a "fulfillment SKU", which is unique to the 3rd party seller's account.
Old 06-04-19, 10:59 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Or just buy from Best Buy, Target, Wal Mart, etc. Those places don't play games when verifying sources. The supply chains are relatively non-inclusive. But Amazon has that issue with 3rd party seller programs..
I'll check next time. I buy memory cards for monitor cameras that get recorded and overwritten often so I am more particular about the brand and type. Costco also sells at a good price but it's Sandisk only (which I avoid).
Old 06-04-19, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've never had problems with Sandisk, expecially the Sandisk Extreme memory sticks, which are blazingly fast and reliable. Avoid Amazon and shop locally, and you'll have no fake memory stick problems.
Old 06-04-19, 06:57 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sandisk Extreme is good but expensive compared to some other high-endurance brands. I'm surprised you buy such expensive things
Old 06-04-19, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah. Just buy the fake ones on Amazon for 1/5 the price.
Old 06-05-19, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
Sandisk Extreme is good but expensive compared to some other high-endurance brands. I'm surprised you buy such expensive things
There are some things one can't skimp on! When you need 240 mb/sec write transfer rate on your USB memory stick, you've GOT to pay more, and I've found that, with USB memory sticks, you generally *do* get what you pay for. That's an incredible rarity, worth savoring. Unless you're buying fakes on that sham Amazon site. So, as with all battles, I will gladly pay 1/5th for almost anything else, but unless I'm wanting to suffer abysmal 10 mb/sec write speeds on USB sticks, I'll stick with those with quality controller chips and lifetime replacement warranties...
Old 06-05-19, 11:19 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I find that the best and cheapest way is to make my own. It does take work but that way I can be sure to get the capacity and speed I want.
Old 06-11-19, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Or just buy from Best Buy, Target, Wal Mart, etc. Those places don't play games when verifying sources. The supply chains are relatively non-inclusive. But Amazon has that issue with 3rd party seller programs.

The rough part for 3rd party sellers, is getting caught up as a counterfeiter. If someone returns a product and marks 'inauthentic', just one or two of those can destroy a small business who relies on Amazon for sales. Then dealing with Amazon is basically like the bureaucracy seen in Terry Gilliam's Brazil. Mix in that sellers are always "test buying" competitor products and making false claims. It's stressful.
My favorite place is www.bhphotovideo.com they are definitely trustworthy and if you don't live in NY it's tax free, for now anyways. Plus they oftentimes match Amazon's sales.