Reload this Page >

Illinois highway toll by plate and the fines you get. Vent

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Illinois highway toll by plate and the fines you get. Vent

Old 06-11-19, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Illinois highway toll by plate and the fines you get. Vent

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
It's likely that it's like ours, and the price is per trip.

I have to say, it's pretty damn pricey. For the section of our toll highway that I would typically take, it's about a $30CAN (including a $4.20 camera fee) charge for a 68km/41 mile trip, then the same again, coming back. Considering we only do it once or twice a year, it's still worth it to avoid the always busy alternative.
Found out it's a $2.50 fee/month. Pretty reasonable but still better to get the sticker and avoid it all together. But at least they're not trying to screw over people.
Old 06-11-19, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We're number one ! We're number one ! We're number one!!!!!!
Old 06-11-19, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
Found out it's a $2.50 fee/month. Pretty reasonable but still better to get the sticker and avoid it all together. But at least they're not trying to screw over people.
Ah, we get that fee, too. For us it's called an 'account fee' and it's $3.95.

09/30/2018.... 1:55 PM.... QEW -> Hwy400.... 67.748 km.... $0.3083 $20.89
10/04/2018.... 2:33 PM.... Hwy400 -> QEW.... 67.748 km.... $0.4250 $28.80

Toll Charges...................................$49.69
Trip toll charges (2 @ CAD $1.00).....$2.00
Camera charges (2 @ CAD $4.15).....$8.30
Account fee (1 @ CAD $3.95)...........$3.95
Total new 407 ETR charges..............$63.94

It's not enough that the toll, itself, is high, but then the additional fees are piled on. Trip toll charge? As opposed the the $49.69 above it?

Apparently the account fee and (obviously) the camera charges do not apply if you have a transponder (leased for $24.95/yr).
Old 06-11-19, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
We're number one ! We're number one ! We're number one!!!!!!
Ugh. I work in NYS so I'm forced to pay that high income tax, but at least I don't live there because your property taxes are crazy!
Old 06-11-19, 02:31 PM

Even with all that, you still couldn’t pay me to live in Florida.
Old 06-11-19, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Maybe,....
Not "maybe", fact.

You have more toll roads then any other state and you still pay the tenth highest gas tax. That really is taking it in the ass.

Even with all that, you still couldn't pay me to live in Florida.
Amen! Not living in Florida is worth paying state income tax elsewhere.
Old 06-11-19, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Toddarino View Post
True, I tried living there for nearly a year, never again!
Old 06-11-19, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
Ah, we get that fee, too. For us it's called an 'account fee' and it's $3.95.

09/30/2018.... 1:55 PM.... QEW -> Hwy400.... 67.748 km.... $0.3083 $20.89
10/04/2018.... 2:33 PM.... Hwy400 -> QEW.... 67.748 km.... $0.4250 $28.80

Toll Charges...................................$49.69
Trip toll charges (2 @ CAD $1.00).....$2.00
Camera charges (2 @ CAD $4.15).....$8.30
Account fee (1 @ CAD $3.95)...........$3.95
Total new 407 ETR charges..............$63.94

It's not enough that the toll, itself, is high, but then the additional fees are piled on. Trip toll charge? As opposed the the $49.69 above it?

Apparently the account fee and (obviously) the camera charges do not apply if you have a transponder (leased for $24.95/yr).
What?! That's insane. A "camera" charge on top of the account fee? And you have to lease your transponder?! Our transponders are a sticker that costs $5. Or a larger battery operated removable RFID device that costs $20 one time fee. Wow, they better never privatize the highways here. I doubt it if they will. It just seems so "unamerican". It's hard to think of something besides the military that clearly rests on the shoulders of a country's government then a highway system.
Old 06-11-19, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan View Post
Not "maybe", fact.

You have more toll roads then any other state and you still pay the tenth highest gas tax. That really is taking it in the ass.

You're right I worded that incorrectly. Maybe, That may be, but we still pay average to lower than average for gas compared to the rest of the country. Why do I care how much of it goes to tax? Also no income tax. Now can you say that where you live?

Gas here right now is $2.32. What do I care how much of that is gas tax? How much is it for you? For instance in Chicago it's about $3.20 right now. I'm not sure if anyone would consider paying almost a dollar less per gallon of gas is taking it in the ass.

Last edited by tanman; 06-11-19 at 09:44 PM.
Old 06-11-19, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Toddarino View Post
Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan View Post
Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
True, I tried living there for nearly a year, never again!
That's what I love to hear.

Biggest problem in Florida right now is everyone moving down here. Expansion has just exploded in the last 20 years. Yeah it strengthens our economy and property values are on the rise but it's just growing too much too fast. Thus the need to subsidize roads with tolls.
Old 06-11-19, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Illinois gas tax will double to 38 cents per gallon July 1st. Chicago and Cook county add another 11 cents. The state and local add sales tax of just over 10%. Plus Chicago has its own blend of gas that is mixed locally, so any issues with the local refineries causes large price spikes, and when gas prices do drop, they seem to run routine maintenance on them to keep prices high. Illinois is great.
Old 06-12-19, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

EZ-Pass is free. You just put $50 on the account and they mail you the transponder. I think you might get a small break on the tolls but not sure. So for my $6000 a year in property tax I don't have to pay a camera fee so I got that going for me. My biggest peeve I've related before. They have 5mph lanes and 20mph lanes. It doesn't matter because people pull up and stop in both lanes. I've found the 5mph lane is faster in most cases because people cut over 3 lanes for the 20 and then stop anyway.

The governor of Florida was on TV last night openly sobbing because you guys won't move there. I realize it's not for everybody. I don't mind the heat. We are looking for a retirement home in SWFL. We'll at least winter there. When snow can start falling in October and doesn't stop until late April, even into May sometimes that's too much winter for me. For one home I would prefer the mid-Atlantic where you have about 4 equal seasons. But we'll never totally leave NY since we have so much family here. My sister hates the heat, hates Florida. 80 is too hot for her. She's one of those goofy people you see walking around in flip flops and no coat in the middle of winter.
Old 06-12-19, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
Illinois gas tax will double to 38 cents per gallon July 1st. Chicago and Cook county add another 11 cents. The state and local add sales tax of just over 10%. Plus Chicago has its own blend of gas that is mixed locally, so any issues with the local refineries causes large price spikes, and when gas prices do drop, they seem to run routine maintenance on them to keep prices high. Illinois is great.
I'll be driving the Costco just outside Cook County to gas up every time.
Old 06-12-19, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Down here the Costco and Bj gas is the same and sometimes a couple pennies higher then some stations.
Old 06-12-19, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What?! That's insane. A "camera" charge on top of the account fee? And you have to lease your transponder?! Our transponders are a sticker that costs $5. Or a larger battery operated removable RFID device that costs $20 one time fee. Wow, they better never privatize the highways here. I doubt it if they will. It just seems so "unamerican". It's hard to think of something besides the military that clearly rests on the shoulders of a country's government then a highway system.
To be fair, the highway he's talking about is an express highway that you don't need to use, there are "free" highways in the area that will take you to the same places with no tolls, but likely more traffic. So you are basically paying for the (hopefully) saved time compared to using the regular highways. I personally never use the 407 when I'm in the Toronto area, I'd rather wait in traffic than pay those crazy charges!
Old 06-12-19, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
Wow, crossing off Chicago as either a place to live or to vist. Seems really fucked-up, full of graft and corruption, *and* expensive, to boot! Jeeze, I can't imagine paying over 10% sales tax, high property taxes, tollls up the gazoo, high gas taxes, and high state income taxes. What a damn rip! I already crossed Florida off 50 years ago, so nothing new there.
Old 06-12-19, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Wow, crossing off Chicago as either a place to live or to vist. Seems really fucked-up, full of graft and corruption, *and* expensive, to boot! Jeeze, I can't imagine paying over 10% sales tax, high property taxes, tollls up the gazoo, high gas taxes, and high state income taxes. What a damn rip! I already crossed Florida off 50 years ago, so nothing new there.
Of course it is. Didn't you watch Boss?
Old 06-12-19, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
To be fair, the highway he's talking about is an express highway that you don't need to use, there are "free" highways in the area that will take you to the same places with no tolls, but likely more traffic. So you are basically paying for the (hopefully) saved time compared to using the regular highways. I personally never use the 407 when I'm in the Toronto area, I'd rather wait in traffic than pay those crazy charges!
That's good that there are public roads toll free and we have those too. But it still seems wrong to privatize a road even if it is an optional bypass. It's like the government creating a monopoly that can charge whatever they want, which they apparently do.

One thing I wish they would do is they should make these longer bypass roads (which are usually the ones that are tolled here) free to semis that way it would incentivize them to use a longer, wider, path and keep them off of the main highway.