Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Illinois highway toll by plate and the fines you get. Vent

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Illinois highway toll by plate and the fines you get. Vent

Old 05-31-19, 03:58 PM
  #26  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,282
Re: Illinois highway toll by plate and the fines you get. Vent

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post


Yeah but we don’t have to stop and throw dimes out our windows or have fucking transponders on our dash boards.
I dunno... I know several people who communte from the OC to the inland empire who still have transponders on their dashes. (91 toll roads, the 261, and the 73). Fortunately I don't have to use those toll roads, though. I'd be unwilling to pay *any* tolls in Calif, since our gas taxes are already beyond outrageous.
zyzzle is offline  
Old 06-01-19, 12:16 AM
  #27  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 20,018
Re: Illinois highway toll by plate and the fines you get. Vent

Illinois toll roads are a #$&king scam. They are designed to be as user unfriendly as possible with a twisted and convoluted fine system that is mainly there to support bureaucrat brother-in-laws of our fat cat politicians.

I don’t care how much time it adds, I will not go near the damned abominations when I wander north.
Abob Teff is offline  
Old 06-01-19, 01:08 AM
  #28  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 5,814
Re: Illinois highway toll by plate and the fines you get. Vent

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Toll roads are trash. I’m so glad California has very few of them.
Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
But... we pay our "tolls" in an extremely high gas tax, very close to highest in the Nation, extremely high state income taxes, and the highest electricity costs in the country as well!
I was just going to say that. I'll take my tolls over your higher gas tax, utility tax, and income tax any day. Not to mention forest fires and earthquakes

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Yeah but we don’t have to stop and throw dimes out our windows or have fucking transponders on our dash boards.
When was the last time you went through a toll? The transponder is a two inch square sticker on the corner of my windshield. No dime throwing necessary.
tanman is online now  
Old 06-01-19, 01:13 AM
  #29  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 5,814
Re: Illinois highway toll by plate and the fines you get. Vent

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
When they first built a toll road right next to my complex, the tolls were a quarter and the coin baskets were notoriously bad. Itíd almost always take two passes for the quarter to take, it failing into a Ďchangeí receptacle under the basket on initial attempts. Most people would just throw in another quarter instead of reaching down for their first one.

These change pots would fill up to overflowing. Iíd always take at least one handful after my quarter passed through, so probably Ďmade moneyí on that toll road the first few years. Now, instead of a quarter, the tolls are like $3 each way, and everyone uses a smart pass.
That is pretty funny. Wish that was the case now, a toll that pays you

tanman is online now  
Old 06-01-19, 01:20 AM
  #30  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 5,814
Re: Illinois highway toll by plate and the fines you get. Vent

Originally Posted by whotony View Post
The other part is that Iím in Florida and she is in Minneapolis so going to a hearing is difficult.
I did see something about a hearing by mail so Iíll look deeper into that to see what that is.
Yeah that's messed up. We have a new toll road right next to my house. It's opened but not collecting tolls yet. It says bill by plate and since I have the Sun Pass I didn't look into it but this is what they will do.

Paying by Toll-By-Plate: Where all-electronic tolling is in effect, you can pay by this method. A camera takes a picture of your license plate, and youíre mailed a bill for tolls plus a $2.50 service charge.

The $2.50 for a service charge is a bunch of bunk but at least it's reasonable for a few tolls. I guess it depends on if they charge it per toll or per month. Either way doesn't seem like it would add up to $600.

Toll workers are definitely something that's going to go away really soon.

I remember the change baskets were a good way to get rid of pennies. I'd prepare about 52 cents in ziploc bags and dump the whole thing in. Would take a few seconds for it to count it but it would work.
tanman is online now  
Old 06-01-19, 01:32 AM
  #31  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
andicus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,488
Re: Illinois highway toll by plate and the fines you get. Vent

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
Yeah that's messed up. We have a new toll road right next to my house. It's opened but not collecting tolls yet. It says bill by plate and since I have the Sun Pass I didn't look into it but this is what they will do.

Paying by Toll-By-Plate: Where all-electronic tolling is in effect, you can pay by this method. A camera takes a picture of your license plate, and youíre mailed a bill for tolls plus a $2.50 service charge.

The $2.50 for a service charge is a bunch of bunk but at least it's reasonable for a few tolls. I guess it depends on if they charge it per toll or per month. Either way doesn't seem like it would add up to $600.

Toll workers are definitely something that's going to go away really soon.

I remember the change baskets were a good way to get rid of pennies. I'd prepare about 52 cents in ziploc bags and dump the whole thing in. Would take a few seconds for it to count it but it would work.
It's likely that it's like ours, and the price is per trip.

I have to say, it's pretty damn pricey. For the section of our toll highway that I would typically take, it's about a $30CAN (including a $4.20 camera fee) charge for a 68km/41 mile trip, then the same again, coming back. Considering we only do it once or twice a year, it's still worth it to avoid the always busy alternative.
andicus is offline  
Old 06-01-19, 05:44 AM
  #32  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 5,814
Re: Illinois highway toll by plate and the fines you get. Vent

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
It's likely that it's like ours, and the price is per trip.

I have to say, it's pretty damn pricey. For the section of our toll highway that I would typically take, it's about a $30CAN (including a $4.20 camera fee) charge for a 68km/41 mile trip, then the same again, coming back. Considering we only do it once or twice a year, it's still worth it to avoid the always busy alternative.
It's HOW MUCH?! $30? One way? Holy hell that's a lot.
tanman is online now  
Old 06-01-19, 08:24 AM
  #33  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,264
Re: Illinois highway toll by plate and the fines you get. Vent

I've been to Chicago several times and am highly suspicious of some of their toll areas. There's one off their major highway (the one exit that goes to Rosemont Convention Center) where you have to pay a toll as you exit. Basically all it had was a large funnel that you had to throw $1.50 in coins in to pay the toll and the machine would read the coins. Then the light near the machine would go from red to green. We threw $1.50 in their and the light never changed to green. Dropped another $1.50 and it still never changed. At this point we gave up and drove out of the exit. We get a bill from the car rental company for the cost of that toll because the coins never registered. We figured maybe themachine was faulty that day. The next year we went to the same convention. The exact same thing happened. I do not trust theor system at all. I don't believe the odds that their machine on the same exit road would be faulty coincidentally the next time I visited that area.
movieguru is offline  
Old 06-01-19, 11:32 AM
  #34  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
andicus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,488
Re: Illinois highway toll by plate and the fines you get. Vent

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
It's HOW MUCH?! $30? One way? Holy hell that's a lot.
Yep. One way. That is for the time that we would typically use it, as it also varies with the direction of travel and time of day. I.e. those driving into the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) in the morning rush hour and out of the GTA in the evening rush hour pay the most. My route could vary anywhere from about $22 to $34.

You can check out the rates, here: https://www.407etr.com/en/tolls/toll...alculator.html

The really shitty thing is that the province sold off the highway, so they don't make a dime. The majority owner is a Spanish firm (43%), while the Canada Pension Plan owns almost as much (40%). They sold it for $3.1 billion. For 2018, 407 International Inc. announced revenues of $1,390.3 million. Net income was $539.0 million, a 14% increase over previous year. Yeah, that was pretty short-sighted.
andicus is offline  
Old 06-01-19, 11:44 AM
  #35  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Posts: 16,632
Re: Illinois highway toll by plate and the fines you get. Vent

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
I was just going to say that. I'll take my tolls over your higher gas tax, utility tax, and income tax any day. Not to mention forest fires and earthquakes



When was the last time you went through a toll? The transponder is a two inch square sticker on the corner of my windshield. No dime throwing necessary.
Jealous much?

Last time I paid a toll? I don’t remember. Maybe 1998. The only toll road near me doesn’t really go anywhere.

Oh oh wait I remember. Last September we needed to get to Dana Point in a big hurry. So we took the 73 for just a few miles. It was $8.50. Such a rip off. Never make that mistake again.
Mabuse is offline  
Old 06-01-19, 08:17 PM
  #36  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 20,018
Re: Illinois highway toll by plate and the fines you get. Vent

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
I don't believe the odds that their machine on the same exit road would be faulty coincidentally the next time I visited that area.
It wasnít coincidentally faulty the next time. It was never fixed in the first place ó it is always faulty.

I got dinged once in a rental car up there about 3 or 4 years ago, and I think it may have been the same spot.
Abob Teff is offline  
Old 06-02-19, 01:29 AM
  #37  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 5,814
Re: Illinois highway toll by plate and the fines you get. Vent

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
Yep. One way. That is for the time that we would typically use it, as it also varies with the direction of travel and time of day. I.e. those driving into the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) in the morning rush hour and out of the GTA in the evening rush hour pay the most. My route could vary anywhere from about $22 to $34.

You can check out the rates, here: https://www.407etr.com/en/tolls/toll...alculator.html

The really shitty thing is that the province sold off the highway, so they don't make a dime. The majority owner is a Spanish firm (43%), while the Canada Pension Plan owns almost as much (40%). They sold it for $3.1 billion. For 2018, 407 International Inc. announced revenues of $1,390.3 million. Net income was $539.0 million, a 14% increase over previous year. Yeah, that was pretty short-sighted.
So your highway is owned by a Spanish firm? That's messed up. No wonder the tolls are so high. That's what your taxes should be for. At least here the money goes back into building more roads. And are at least subject to public opinion through lawmakers.
tanman is online now  
Old 06-02-19, 01:31 AM
  #38  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 5,814
Re: Illinois highway toll by plate and the fines you get. Vent

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post


Jealous much?

Last time I paid a toll? I donít remember. Maybe 1998. The only toll road near me doesnít really go anywhere.

Oh oh wait I remember. Last September we needed to get to Dana Point in a big hurry. So we took the 73 for just a few miles. It was $8.50. Such a rip off. Never make that mistake again.
Jealous of living in California? not at all.
tanman is online now  
Old 06-02-19, 08:37 AM
  #39  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,264
Re: Illinois highway toll by plate and the fines you get. Vent

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post


It wasnít coincidentally faulty the next time. It was never fixed in the first place ó it is always faulty.

I got dinged once in a rental car up there about 3 or 4 years ago, and I think it may have been the same spot.
I personally believe it was rigged or intentionally not fixed so that they could get double or more of the toll amount from commuters. Either that or a worker that collects the money from that machine rigged it so it would not register the money being dropped in the machine and found some way to steal the unregistered coins. Being that it was the convention center it had to be the most used toll exit they had on that highway. We had a rental car both times and the first time we stopped by the state's highway toll administration center and asked them. They basically said there was no way of telling weather we paid the toll or not, so if we received a bill we would have to pay it. They didn't seem interested in looking nto a possible faulty toll machine and just dismissed our complain. We ended up getting a bill for it from the rental car company. We ended up getting charged an extra $8 each time we used that exit, and that does not include the facy that we had already thrown in more than enough coins to cover the toll in the first place.
movieguru is offline  
Old 06-02-19, 09:01 AM
  #40  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JimRochester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Rochester, NY. USA
Posts: 17,991
Re: Illinois highway toll by plate and the fines you get. Vent

NY wants to go to a toll by plate system. Instead of toll collectors you end up with an entire force of follow up collection people.

Off topic. A pet peeve of mine. In NY they have speed limits of 5 or 20mph through the toll plazas. People feel the need to come to a complete stop, even in the 20mph lane and wait for the green light.

PEOPLE. EVEN IF YOU DROVE THROUGH AT 70 MPH, IT IS ELECTRONIC. IT WILL READ YOUR EZ-PASS!!!!!! KEEP MOVING!!!

Thank you to Whotony for allowing me to temporarily hijack his rant for my rant.
JimRochester is offline  
Old 06-05-19, 08:29 PM
  #41  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 13,234
Re: Illinois highway toll by plate and the fines you get. Vent

Tolls are bullshit. I thought we all pay taxes.

I had a toll mailed to me when I was passing through Florida a few years ago. It was a single toll for around $1.50 with a $22 processing fee. Yes...twenty-two dollars!

I called the customer service number, politely told them to fuck off and that I wouldn't pay the outrageous processing fee but would gladly pay for the toll and only if I had to, a nominal and normal processing fee.

After much back and forth, they then politely told me to fuck off and said forget it. I guess they got tired of arguing with me about it.
Spiderbite is offline  
Old 06-05-19, 10:22 PM
  #42  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 3,244
Re: Illinois highway toll by plate and the fines you get. Vent

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
I was just going to say that. I'll take my tolls over your higher gas tax, utility tax, and income tax any day. Not to mention forest fires and earthquakes.
Florida has more toll roads then any other state and they pay the 9th highest gass tax according to the Tax Foundation. That's not a very good situation and in the end, you're still in Florida.






WCChiCubsFan is offline  
Old 06-06-19, 02:11 AM
  #43  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,282
Re: Illinois highway toll by plate and the fines you get. Vent

Tolls are implemented as an overflow valve for the greedy and those who mismanage transportation dept. (or Dept of the Interior?) tax fund allocations. If there is a gas tax, *those* funds should go 100% toward road infrastructure management. The only "justification" for tolls roads might be to "tax" out-of-state drivers who naturally don't pay state income taxes in that state. With camera recognition technology in the advanced status it now is in, implementing tolls only on out-of-state license plates should be a piece of cake.

I'm just glad Calif. doesn't have many toll roads. YET! Give it 5 ot 10 years, and ALL of our highways will have outrageous tolls... That's the only thing still left in Calif that isn't bleeding us dry.
zyzzle is offline  
Old 06-06-19, 12:36 PM
  #44  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LurkerDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 21,808
Re: Illinois highway toll by plate and the fines you get. Vent

Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
Tolls are bullshit. I thought we all pay taxes.
we have a fucked up taxation system here, so it is pretty much impossible for taxes to fund the huge expense of new roads. So the state has resorted to "Public Private Partnerships". These PPPs take private money to build the road (and in some cases provide all maintenance service too) in exchange for tolls that go to the private entity.
LurkerDan is offline  
Old 06-06-19, 12:38 PM
  #45  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 11,113
Re: Illinois highway toll by plate and the fines you get. Vent

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
we have a fucked up taxation system here, so it is pretty much impossible for taxes to fund the huge expense of new roads. So the state has resorted to "Public Private Partnerships". These PPPs take private money to build the road (and in some cases provide all maintenance service too) in exchange for tolls that go to the private entity.
The Mass Pike was built in 57 (IIRC) and the tolls were to "pay for the construction". 60+ years later and it still has tolls, with ever increasing costs.
Noonan is offline  
Old 06-06-19, 01:07 PM
  #46  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,123
Re: Illinois highway toll by plate and the fines you get. Vent

I thought I've read that some 80% of the tolls in Illinois pay for administration costs. Not much of it goes towards actually maintaining the roads.
PerryD is offline  
Old 06-06-19, 01:19 PM
  #47  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JimRochester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Rochester, NY. USA
Posts: 17,991
Re: Illinois highway toll by plate and the fines you get. Vent

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
The Mass Pike was built in 57 (IIRC) and the tolls were to "pay for the construction". 60+ years later and it still has tolls, with ever increasing costs.
The New York State Thruway. Broke ground in 1942. First stretch opened in 1954. Now spans the four major upstate cities then shoots south to NYC. Exact same promise. Once it was paid for the toils would be gone. Here we are 70 years later still collecting tolls while the Thruway Authority which it funds, pays for a ton of things that aren't the Thruway.
JimRochester is offline  
Old 06-06-19, 01:44 PM
  #48  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: a mile high, give or take a few feet
Posts: 13,344
Re: Illinois highway toll by plate and the fines you get. Vent

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
The Mass Pike was built in 57 (IIRC) and the tolls were to "pay for the construction". 60+ years later and it still has tolls, with ever increasing costs.
Denver's Highway 36 was like that originally. It was a toll road to refund the construction, and then had the tolls removed. Now we're in the situation that Lurker is referencing. In order to improve the same highway, the PPP was devised. It was rebuilt, and the carpool lane was changed to a dual carpool / toll lane. Carpool for 3 or more people, toll otherwise. This is being expanded throughout other highways and interstates in at least the Denver area.
mndtrp is offline  
Old 06-06-19, 01:49 PM
  #49  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Marina Del Rey, California
Posts: 9,677
Re: Illinois highway toll by plate and the fines you get. Vent

Originally Posted by whotony View Post
This is more a a vent and get it off my chest then it is a complaint because it looks like I out of luck on this one.

​​​​​​Wife is working in Minnesota this summer.
Drove over to Michigan to visit mom and drove through Illinois.
Apparently they have a pay by license plate thing so thatís what she did or so she thought.

Her expectation was that she will go through the toll and get a bill in the mail and then pay it.
Reality is they wait until itís too late to pay on line and then send you a bill with additional fines that they want you to pay.

So for a handful of $1.50 tolls we have a bill now for $400+

On the phone they offer no recourse other then pay the bill or set up a hearing.
https://www.illinoistollway.com/toll...%20a%20Hearing
I found this info on the site.
  1. Lack of familiarity with our roads, signs, or tolling infrastructure are not considered grounds for the dismissal of violations. We appreciate that traveling from one jurisdiction to another often requires travelers to follow different traffic laws and practices, but hearing officers are charged with helping uphold the rules consistently across our 1.5 million daily drivers.
  2. The hearing officer does not have the legal authority to:
    • negotiate or offer a settlement
    • waive or lower the mandatory fine/toll amount
    • extend the payment deadline or grant a payment plan
  3. If a hearing officer finds you liable you will no longer be eligible for a settlement.

So going by that a hearing is pointless, basically sorry for your luck.

The other part is that Iím in Florida and she is in Minneapolis so going to a hearing is difficult.
I did see something about a hearing by mail so Iíll look deeper into that to see what that is.

What we have learned.
toll by mail isnít really toll by mail.
It isnít the state reading your plate and quickly sending you a bill.
It is them reading your plate and waiting 90 days for you to forget to pay, then sending a bill with fines that are about 10 times the actual toll price.

A $40 toll is now $440






Just call the complaint line and plead your case. Each individual manager has the power to eliminate these. If you don't get one that will work with you, just hang out politely and call back again.

starseed1981 is offline  
Old 06-11-19, 03:26 AM
  #50  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 5,814
Re: Illinois highway toll by plate and the fines you get. Vent

Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan View Post

Florida has more toll roads then any other state and they pay the 9th highest gass tax according to the Tax Foundation. That's not a very good situation and in the end, you're still in Florida.


https://www.gasbuddy.com/GasPriceMap...10906015547536

Maybe, but we still pay average to lower than average for gas compared to the rest of the country. Why do I care how much of it goes to tax? Also no income tax. No Can you say that where you live?



30th in property taxes


We're also 46th on overall State and Local tax collection


So would you like to try again?
tanman is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.