Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone have a Gorilla Gadget wireless charger?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-28-19, 07:53 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So i've had one since October and all of a sudden it blinks red and won't charge iPhone X. i read that it is the battery when it does that, but i took to Verizon and they say it's fine. and it charges when i plug in just fine and in settings battery life is great.

so, is it the gadget? the phone? if gadget is there a better one that looks pretty similar? i'm getting a new free one anyway bc it is free, but i don't want it to go again in 7 or so months.

thanks.

Old 05-28-19, 09:23 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Anyone have a Gorilla Gadget wireless charger?

Does it charge Samsung phones, too? Looking for one.
Old 05-28-19, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have this one by Ankur. Charges great, highly recommended. Ankur is great when it comes to stuff like this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DBXZZN3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DBXZZN3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 05-28-19, 11:28 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
So i've had one since October and all of a sudden it blinks red and won't charge iPhone X. i read that it is the battery when it does that, but i took to Verizon and they say it's fine. and it charges when i plug in just fine and in settings battery life is great.
If that's all he did, he ran an incomplete test. By plugging the phone in, he proved only that the battery was OK. Wireless charging also needs a receiving electrical coil stuck on the inside of the back plate of the phone, and wiring from that coil to the battery. He didn't check that. You need to test using another wireless charger, or find a store guy more knowledgeable than that guy.
Old 05-29-19, 09:54 PM

Well, I’m getting a free new one from company. We’ll see if charger or phone. So if coil, phone battery still good and will charge when plugged in, just can’t use a wireless charger?
Old 05-29-19, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ohyeahbabyblu View Post
Does it charge Samsung phones, too? Looking for one.
Why not just get the
Samsung Samsung
one? I have two. One at home and one at work. They're amazing. I need to snag one more for the night stand.
Old 05-30-19, 01:28 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
So if coil, phone battery still good and will charge when plugged in, just canít use a wireless charger?
Most likely. There is also the charging control circuit that regulates charging based on battery level (so you don't overcharge for example). That;s different for wired charging than wireless, but it's unlikely to be the problem since your wireless charging worked previously.

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Why not just get the Samsung one? I have two. One at home and one at work. They're amazing. I need to snag one more for the night stand.
I like the Samsung chargers and also have two. They do go on sale once in a while but usually they are more expensive than other brands.
Old 05-30-19, 09:45 PM

But when I get new charger and still blinks then phone and not charger, Samsung or other would work right? Is there a fix for coil or stuck? I might be under 1 year if that makes difference...
Old 05-30-19, 11:38 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you use a different wireless charger and get the same symptoms then it's most likely not the charger but the phone. The battery is probably OK because you can charge by cable, but something in the wireless charging circuit went bad (coil or something else). I don't think it's wise to try to fix it yourself.

Watch this video at 8:45

Old 06-01-19, 05:08 PM

well, i got new charger and same thing. i called Verizon and told them, was under warranty, get new phone Monday.

backing up now, little annoying as my current was immaculate and never dropped, but it's just a matter of getting to Verizon store and get screen protector before i activate new. easy peasy though.

what's funny is that i asked the guy helping me if this was a common occurrence and he told me he never heard of it because honestly no one really takes advantage of the wireless charging feature. i was shocked. i was like i only use it and bought as one reason. he was like yeah totally, but others seem to just plug in....