Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

How do you feeling about people spoiling the ending of a TV Show or Movie?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-20-19, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am really not sure which for this needs to go in because it deals with both TV Show and movies. Please feel free to move it if need be.

So here's the deal. This morning in the work lounge, a couple of us were on break when someone asked me what I thought about last nights Game of Thrones ending? I told him, sorry, I don't have HBO and I have never watched it before. There was a few who said, we not able to watch last night's show and we are so afraid someone is going to spoil it before we get to watch it this evening.

About that time, a guy who is the company dick, (he's always talking when he should be listening) came in the lounge and said very loudly, What did everyone think of GOT last night? It was pretty 'meh' if you ask me. I politely as I could said, hey man, please don't give away the ending because there's people who haven't seen it yet.

So, being the dick that he is, then blurted out the ending of Avengers: Endgame, turned around and walked out. Due to some health issues both my Wife and I have been dealing with the last few months, plus life in general we haven't had a chance to go to the movies, so I haven't seen the film as of yet. I said Son of a bitch, did this clown just give away the ending of Endgames?

People saw I was clearly upset and tried to play it off like, you know you can't believe anything he has to say, but I could see it in their eyes it must be true. I have worked so hard to avoid any type of knowledge of the film and it sucks to have it spoiled by this jackass. I guess my question is, do I have a right to be upset, or should I just accept the fact it's been out almost a month, and it was bound to happen anyway? And for the record, I ask each and everyone who has seen it not to say anything about the film because I don't want it to be spoiled anymore than it has been already. Thank you.
Old 05-20-19, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: How do you feeling about people spoiling the ending of a TV Show or Movie?

Yeah I don't blame you for being upset.

Not everyone, including you, has time to go to the movies every week or see every big and popular TV show right as it airs. Life in general doesn't make it possible for many to keep up with everything in pop culture.

Sorry you had a jackass ruin something for you.

If you think everyone is up to speed with everything cool and popular, then you're sadly naive. Unfortunately there are many who don't give a shit about those who have more important things going on.
Old 05-20-19, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thank you for the kind words.. If it had been on accident, I would have understood and not have been upset. But this guy is a complete waste of space. He loves to be a dick, so something like this is nothing new for him. I don't understand what some people get out of being a complete and total ass to other folks. This is just me, but unless someone has said they have watched it, I go by the rule to not discuss tv or movies events due to the fact not everyone has see it.
Old 05-20-19, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah, thatís really just rude to do stuff like that. It seems so petty to have a person go out of their way to ruin something for someone else. Might not seem like a huge deal, but a lot of people have invested years of interest in something like the MCU or Game of Thrones or whatever.
Old 05-20-19, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
I am really not sure which for this needs to go in because it deals with both TV Show and movies. Please feel free to move it if need be.

So here's the deal. This morning in the work lounge, a couple of us were on break when someone asked me what I thought about last nights Game of Thrones ending? I told him, sorry, I don't have HBO and I have never watched it before. There was a few who said, we not able to watch last night's show and we are so afraid someone is going to spoil it before we get to watch it this evening.

About that time, a guy who is the company dick, (he's always talking when he should be listening) came in the lounge and said very loudly, What did everyone think of GOT last night? It was pretty 'meh' if you ask me. I politely as I could said, hey man, please don't give away the ending because there's people who haven't seen it yet.

So, being the dick that he is, then blurted out the ending of Avengers: Endgame, turned around and walked out. Due to some health issues both my Wife and I have been dealing with the last few months, plus life in general we haven't had a chance to go to the movies, so I haven't seen the film as of yet. I said Son of a bitch, did this clown just give away the ending of Endgames?

People saw I was clearly upset and tried to play it off like, you know you can't believe anything he has to say, but I could see it in their eyes it must be true. I have worked so hard to avoid any type of knowledge of the film and it sucks to have it spoiled by this jackass. I guess my question is, do I have a right to be upset, or should I just accept the fact it's been out almost a month, and it was bound to happen anyway? And for the record, I ask each and everyone who has seen it not to say anything about the film because I don't want it to be spoiled anymore than it has been already. Thank you.
I think it's a completely asshole move to do, especially if the episode or movie hasn't even aired. Some people look for leaks and try to spread them. There was a subreddit that people were putting spoilers for GoT in their titles. Some people just love being assholes.

I try to only discuss stuff like that openly after already knowing that the room is cleared of people who don't want spoilers, or if the people that haven't don't care.

Of course I'm also spoiler OCD, in that I don't even like to watch trailers or the episode previews because I feel like they give away too much. Sometimes I don't even like to watch the "previously on" segments because what they choose to focus on usually hints at spoilers of returning characters in the episode about to air.

A friend of mine just unfriended someone on Facebook because they posted Endgame spoilers, and then last night posted GoT spoilers before the episode aired.
Old 05-20-19, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I did read with some comfort about people being assaulted for giving the ending of Endgame away at a few theaters. So mob rules works in some instances. Not that I am advocating it but sometimes that is what it takes for these fucktards to learn.

Karma will get your company dick one of these days...

Oh and to the answer the question...murderous rage is what I usually feel when some dick spoils something. But I am told I can't act on that so. Probably not a good trial defense.
Old 05-20-19, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's generally a bummer when this happens. We try to have some pretty strict and well known policies at my office about when we can talk about spoilers for things much of us watch (Slack, out loud, etc). No... not official company policies, not yet... but we aim to be sensitive about this in our office environment. I am in a private office, but my team sits out in an open space and we do our best to be considerate.

Avengers is a tough one. I still haven't seen it yet. I have interest, just not enough to have devoted time to seeing it this past month. Usually I'd wait to buy it on iTunes, but figured I'd need to move faster on Endgame. Anyway, made it up until Sunday morning... was catching up on some background TV. Bill Mahr. Oops. Wasn't a reveal out of left field, but still confirmed a thing i was like 95% on.

Avengers is also interesting to me bc the creators essentially gave permission for spoilers on the Monday 2 weeks after release. Assuming it's bc they wanted to start marketing all the next stuff. Seems a little cynical and not in the spirit of fandom... but hey, I guess 2 weeks to see the movie was deemed enough time. Now, most places where I am, I'd still have to really go out of my way to make a weekend, or evening showing, work in those first two weeks. Not to mention most of my friends were seeing it for the 2nd or 3rd time in those weeks. So yeah - maybe 2 weeks was not enough time? How did people feel about that? I have been avoiding most anything having to do with Endgame, for obvious reasons.

I don't really care that much about what I found out. I'd have been pretty upset to have it intentionally and callously spoiled for me. That person is just a dick. Sorry that was your experience
Old 05-20-19, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah, even after a month that's pretty crappy to spoil something like that. I think there is an acceptable amount of time for spoilers to not be needed in normal conversation, but it's on the order of years and if someone says they haven't seen it, that's enough to not mention it.

For example, if you don't know who Darth Vader is related to, I'm not sure it's fair to expect not to be spoiled on that.

Sports is worse, but it's probably also the reason sports is the one thing I still watch live on occasion.
Old 05-20-19, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The Russo Brothers basically gave the green light for Avengers Endgame spoilers because the newest marketing for Spider-Man: Far from Home basically reveal a big spoiler from Endgame. Spider-Man takes place right after Endgame, so that's a really tough thing to avoid. I realize this probably hurts people who can't go to see it right away or don't have the time or ability to go to the theatre. So if you're one of those who only watch movies on DVD and Blu-Ray you're probably going to be spoiled months before you can see either movie.

It's a catch-22, but we live in an instant pop culture news society, so some things can't be avoided.
Old 05-20-19, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Julie Brownís song ďThe Homecoming Queenís Got a GunĒ spoiled the end of Citizen Kane for me.

I still like knowing as little about a movie as possible before seeing it- I usually donít even want to know the general plot. Thatís made for some great surprises, like From Dusk TIL Dawn which suddenly becomes a completely different movie than what it started out as.
Old 05-20-19, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't really mind inadvertent spoilers like overhearing people talking about a movie or show or running across a discussion online.

Assholes trying to piss people off on purpose though, those people should be tased at the very least. Not specifically for spoiling, but for the overarching crime of being an asshat.
Old 05-20-19, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Kick his ass, key his car, slash his tires, steal something from the bosses office, stash it in his office/cubicle and frame him for it, make him watch GOT S8 on repeat,... plenty of options.
Old 05-20-19, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Spoiling the ending for Endgame is so April 2019. Your co-worker is living up to his reputation by still pulling that shit in May.

Also, if you can’t figure out what happens in Endgame after watching Infinity War you must not be that familiar with superhero movies. Movie is as predictable as a sunrise.
Old 05-20-19, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Caution spoilers. Duh. Best bits are around 14:00

Also, spoilers don’t ruin great movies. Everyone has known the spoilers of Citizen Kane and Psycho for decades and those films are still powerful. If a ruined spoilers wrecks the movie, then it probably isn’t a good movie.

Last edited by Mabuse; 05-20-19 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-20-19, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When done on purpose like that, it's 100% a dick move.

No reason to be upset about it if it happens by accident. I haven't seen Endgame yet either but if I overhear something, I'll have to accept that.

There should also be a statute of limitations....

Recently, I sent an email in a group chain that alluded to a big spoiler from season 3 of The Wire. I knew mostly everyone in the email chain watched the show. Someone didn't and chided me for spoiling it for him. Apparently he was a few episodes into season 3 at that point. While I didn't intend to spoil it for him, I was surprised as to just how upset he was at me for dropping spoilers without warning. I get being upset about it in general, especially when you're in the middle of watching the show for the first time but come on, that season is 15 years old. At some point you can't expect people to give spoiler warnings on everything.
Old 05-20-19, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In this day and age of being connected all the time and being exposed to so much information from so many sources - it's hard to avoid spoilers.

With the hype and build-up of Endgame, I was exposed to a bunch of spoilers to Infinity War - and that's just from sources that have nothing to do with comic book stuff.
If I actually cared much about these types of movies, I'd be pissed.
Old 05-20-19, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

In this day and age its shitty. And what's worse are assholes who defend things being spoiled because, "We'll you should watched it already!! I want to talk about it!!!" or "Then stay off Social Media!!!" or "I live on the East coast so fuck your time zone!". Fuck you. You don't know my schedule. Not everyone can make it to movies in the first few weeks or watch TV shows the next day.

Even the way social media apps are set up, news feeds will preview some comments on a post and I've had many things spoiled by just scrolling and minding my business. Best advice there is turn off notification of certain groups or temp-block friends who tend to spoil things.
Old 05-20-19, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

People who do this are subhuman.
I was following a local sports guy on twitter who the day after Endgame opened posted the spoiler.
I called him out on it and he just laughed it off saying he was just kidding and hadn’t actually seen the movie yet.
Then he posted a handful of gifs of laughing people at me.

Old 05-20-19, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don’t follow these Marvel movies very closely. I’ve only seen about half of them, and I only saw Infinity War last month. What’s been going on with fans since Infinity War? Were there people who couldn’t figure out approximately what would happen in Endgame?

Let’s see. Thanos has wiped out half of all life. There’s only one way the next one can end. It’s not going to end with half of them still all dead. Something will reverse this. And it’s a comic book film. There’s always some lost crystal of Paralleliax or some bull shit. And yeah, like Darth Vader somebody is probably going to sacrifice themselves.

Last edited by Mabuse; 05-20-19 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-20-19, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

When The Force Awakens first came out, some jerk blurted out the surprise in a discussion on Facebook about something completely different. Jerk probably just went around various discussions doing that. People that feel compelled to do that are sad.
Old 05-20-19, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post

I donít follow these Marvel movies very closely. Iíve only seen about half of them, and I only saw Infinity War last month. Whatís been going on with fans since Infinity War? Were there people who couldnít figure out approximately what would happen in Endgame?

Letís see. Thanos has wiped out half of all life. Thereís only one way the next one can end. Itís not going to end with half of them still all dead. Something will reverse this. And itís a comic book film. Thereís always some lost crystal of Paralleliax or some bull shit. And yeah, like Darth Vader somebody is probably going to sacrifice themselves.
That's why it was so surprising when the other half got wiped out too, and they rebooted the entire cinematic universe.
Old 05-20-19, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Kick his ass, key his car, slash his tires, steal something from the bosses office, stash it in his office/cubicle and frame him for it, make him watch GOT S8 on repeat,... plenty of options.
If I didn't need a job or didn't want to go to jail, I would have been standing at his car ready to beat his ass to a pulp. He's just a dick, plain and simple. He has no friends, no one likes him, but he's also the company kiss ass. If the boss needs a good ass kissing, or a rub and tug, he's there Johnny on the spot. I pray one day I see him away from the office. I know I can't touch him because he's the type would hide behind the cops, but I can put the fear of God in him without touching him.
Old 05-20-19, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
If I didn't need a job or didn't want to go to jail, I would have been standing at his car ready to beat his ass to a pulp. He's just a dick, plain and simple. He has no friends, no one likes him, but he's also the company kiss ass. If the boss needs a good ass kissing, or a rub and tug, he's there Johnny on the spot. I pray one day I see him away from the office. I know I can't touch him because he's the type would hide behind the cops, but I can put the fear of God in him without touching him.
Sneak attack!
Old 05-20-19, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

In this age of the internet and instant information, it doesn't bother me at all. It's almost 'expected'. Years ago during the age of the dinosaur when we actually had to go to the theatres and / or sit through the movies / shows in real time -- no ff and rewing, and no instant start back where you left off feature, it did bother me.
Old 05-20-19, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I guess I am going to have a different opinion than most people.

There are certain TV shows, like Game of Thrones, that essentially demand that you watch it the night it airs if you claim to care about it. In general, for these shows, I allow a one-day window. But if you have not watched it by Monday night, then you didn't really care about it.

Regarding Sunday night's GoT finale, if you did not watch it by the time you left the house Monday morning, then you do not care about the show. Simple as that. No excuses, no explanations. If you gave the damn you claim to give, you would not have gone to bed without watching, or you would have woken up and watched it before the dawn.

Endgame came out three weeks ago. Yes, I know it is 3 hours long. And yes, I know, you have to go to a theater. But if you care about what happens, that's what you do. You go see the fucking movie!

I think people have been very considerate about Endgame. It seems like almost the entire society decided en masse to keep quiet for two weekends while tens of millions of people packed theaters to see this movie.

So the OP has other things going on in his life that are more important than a movie. That's why you just admit to yourself that you really don't care that much about a movie.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.