Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

How do you feeling about people spoiling the ending of a TV Show or Movie?

Other Talk "Otterville"

How do you feeling about people spoiling the ending of a TV Show or Movie?

Old 05-21-19, 12:34 PM
  #51  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Toddarino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northeastern Wisconsin
Posts: 3,344
Received 423 Likes on 289 Posts
Re: How do you feeling about people spoiling the ending of a TV Show or Movie?

Based on how Sonny found out, I’m in total agreement. Fuck that guy and people like him. In a different situation however, I think it would be difficult to be upset. Had you happen to pass by a conversation and overheard the ending, would you have been as angry?
Old 05-21-19, 02:36 PM
  #52  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 22,986
Received 701 Likes on 574 Posts
Re: How do you feeling about people spoiling the ending of a TV Show or Movie?

Overhearing something by accident is a lot different. Still sucks if itís a spoiler for a person, but better than someone just blurting out spoilers to be a douche.
Old 05-21-19, 03:03 PM
  #53  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Maumee, OH, USA
Posts: 3,519
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: How do you feeling about people spoiling the ending of a TV Show or Movie?

Not a movie or TV, but I have a buddy who will DVR baseball games when he's not going to be at home and watch them later in the evening. We like the same team, and I can't tell you how many times I have spoiled things for him because I always forget about his level of baseball nerd-dom and talk about the game when I check the score on my phone. I do feel bad about it, but that hasn't helped me remember not to the next time...
Old 05-21-19, 07:09 PM
  #54  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 25,267
Received 579 Likes on 409 Posts
Re: How do you feeling about people spoiling the ending of a TV Show or Movie?

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
I try to be very careful not to spoiler things in case people haven't gotten around to seeing it yet. Like I'd appreciate if nobody tells me who shot J.R.
I believe it was Maggie Simpson. Or OJ Simpson.
Old 05-21-19, 07:09 PM
  #55  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 25,267
Received 579 Likes on 409 Posts
Re: How do you feeling about people spoiling the ending of a TV Show or Movie?

W
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Maggie shot him.
Goddamnit ... top of page two ...

Let me try again ...

Nobody. He was dead the whole time.

Wait, wait ... he actually shot himself — JR was just a manifestation in Bobby’s mind of all the things Bobby wanted to be.






Last edited by Abob Teff; 05-21-19 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-21-19, 07:12 PM
  #56  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 38,046
Received 1,046 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: How do you feeling about people spoiling the ending of a TV Show or Movie?

Originally Posted by bralph View Post
Not a movie or TV, but I have a buddy who will DVR baseball games when he's not going to be at home and watch them later in the evening. We like the same team, and I can't tell you how many times I have spoiled things for him because I always forget about his level of baseball nerd-dom and talk about the game when I check the score on my phone. I do feel bad about it, but that hasn't helped me remember not to the next time...
Guy should be thanking you, you saved him from having to watch an entire baseball game...
Old 05-21-19, 08:51 PM
  #57  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Sonny Corinthos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Port Charles, NY.
Posts: 7,046
Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts
Re: How do you feeling about people spoiling the ending of a TV Show or Movie?

Originally Posted by Toddarino View Post
Based on how Sonny found out, Iím in total agreement. Fuck that guy and people like him. In a different situation however, I think it would be difficult to be upset. Had you happen to pass by a conversation and overheard the ending, would you have been as angry?
No, not at all. If I walk by co-workers or anyone else and they are talking about the ending, I mean, there's no way I could be upset because

1. I didn't know beforehand what they were discussing and they had no idea who has or hasn't seen the film.

2. Even if I had overheard the ending, even though it wasn't their fault, I'm sure they would have apologized, even though it wasn't necessary, because that's what decent human beings do.

All it boils down to is the fact I asked Dick not to give away the ending of GOT because we have people here in the lounge who didn't get to see it the night before. Being the jerk that he is, he got all pissy and blurted out the ending of Endgames because he knew not everyone, including myself, had not seen it, and that is his way of getting back at me for asking him to not talk about GOT.


Old 05-21-19, 09:21 PM
  #58  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 10,003
Received 521 Likes on 392 Posts
Re: How do you feeling about people spoiling the ending of a TV Show or Movie?

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
I like I said in my OP, both my wife and myself have been dealing with health issues the past few months. He both have had a number of doctor's appointments, plus with work, raising our daughter and everything else life has thrown at us, we had barely enough time to scratch our nose, let along go to the movies. As much as we both have wanted to see Endgames, our health and well being comes first. I don't know how you can say we don't care enough to see the film with everything we have be going through the last few months.
You just made my argument for me by listing off all the things that are more important in your life than a movie.
Old 05-21-19, 09:37 PM
  #59  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 10,003
Received 521 Likes on 392 Posts
Re: How do you feeling about people spoiling the ending of a TV Show or Movie?

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
My coworker flew to his parents home to be with his sick dad in the hospital all weekend. He took an early morning flight Monday and came straight to work from the airport. He didn't see GOT and asked us to put a moratorium on the talks in front of him until tomorrow. We all agreed and avoided talking about it in front of him all day.
He should not have come to work straight from the airport. He should have gone home and watched GoT.

The weekend of 4/28 when The Long Night aired I was traveling out of town and was unable to watch the episode on Sunday night. My flight back to Austin was before dawn Monday morning, and I was expected at work mid-morning.
I called work and said my flight was delayed so I was going to be in later. I flew in. Came home. Watched GoT. Then went to work. Priorities.

Old 05-21-19, 09:43 PM
  #60  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 10,003
Received 521 Likes on 392 Posts
Re: How do you feeling about people spoiling the ending of a TV Show or Movie?

At work today, I was at lunch sitting near a table of guys when two of them (one named Tyler) started talking about the ending of GoT.

Another guy (Kelly) started protesting "no spoilers, no spoilers!"

Tyler asked what the problem was since he knew Kelly had never watched GoT.

And Kelly said "I might watch it someday and I don't want to know how it ends."

100% true. 100% insanity.
Old 05-21-19, 09:58 PM
  #61  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 10,003
Received 521 Likes on 392 Posts
Re: How do you feeling about people spoiling the ending of a TV Show or Movie?

Another woman I work with had to go to a conference and meetings in downtown Austin on Sunday that was scheduled to last until 6:30pm.

She lives an hour outside of Austin, so she was concerned about being able to get home to watch the GoT finale live, so she rented a hotel room for Sunday night and her husband drove in to join her at the hotel so they could watch it together.
Old 05-22-19, 12:57 AM
  #62  
Dan
DVD Talk Hero
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: In the straps of boots
Posts: 26,217
Received 740 Likes on 528 Posts
Re: How do you feeling about people spoiling the ending of a TV Show or Movie?

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
And Kelly said "I might watch it someday and I don't want to know how it ends."

100% true. 100% insanity.
Kelly is what's wrong with the world today.
Old 05-22-19, 05:00 AM
  #63  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Sonny Corinthos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Port Charles, NY.
Posts: 7,046
Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts
Re: How do you feeling about people spoiling the ending of a TV Show or Movie?

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
You just made my argument for me by listing off all the things that are more important in your life than a movie.
My Wife and I's health is more important than any movie. If you don't have any health issues and have loads of free time in your life, congratulations.
Old 05-22-19, 06:21 AM
  #64  
kd5
DVD Talk Legend
 
kd5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 11,506
Received 189 Likes on 135 Posts
Re: How do you feeling about people spoiling the ending of a TV Show or Movie?

We don't even have cable/satellite, let alone HBO. We watch GoT when it comes out on video, we have since S1, we'll finally get to see S8 when they release it on video. GoT is one of my favorite shows, but it's not enough to compel me to subscribe to cable or satellite again. Fuck that shit.

I avoid the spoiler threads here, and I'm not really around a bunch of people where I overhear them talking about GoT. I go to work, I do my job, I don't socialize there like some people do, When the day's done I come home. My wife sees GoT the same time I do, as long as she doesn't go in search of spoilers, we're good to go.

It takes an asshat to deliberately spoil the ending of a movie or TV show for anyone who hasn't seen them yet. It's different if you inadvertantly overhear a discussion going on, and you can't get away from it fast enough. But for someone to just enter a room and loudly announce the ending of a new or relatively new movie or TV show is a bullshit dick move. It shows the world (as far as I'm concerned) just how much of an asshat you really are.
Old 05-22-19, 06:49 AM
  #65  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,860
Received 167 Likes on 134 Posts
Re: How do you feeling about people spoiling the ending of a TV Show or Movie?

Sonny is not the only one who works with someone (or several someones) who like to spoil things. There's a couple guys at my office who think it's "cool" to see a movie Thursday nights and come in on Fridays and spoil it for everyone by having a "loud" conversation about it. What joy they get in ruining someone else's enjoyment of a movie (they do it for TV shows as well), I'll never know. I actually keep ear plugs in my desk now for this reason and (if they're too close to me), will simply get up and walk out of the room as soon as I hear them begin talking about the film/show.
Old 05-22-19, 09:04 AM
  #66  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Vibiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 16,429
Received 521 Likes on 245 Posts
Re: How do you feeling about people spoiling the ending of a TV Show or Movie?

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Again, spoilers donít ruin great movies. Everyone has known the spoilers of Citizen Kane and Psycho for decades and those films are still powerful. If a spoiler wrecks the movie, then it probably isnít a good movie.
"Rosebud is a sled!" "Normie's a drag queen serial killer!"
Old 05-22-19, 09:45 AM
  #67  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 36,867
Received 618 Likes on 448 Posts
Re: How do you feeling about people spoiling the ending of a TV Show or Movie?

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
"Rosebud is a sled!" "Normie's a drag queen serial killer!"
There was an episode of Happy Days where the Cunninghams were heading out the door. Ralph asks them where they're going and one says they're going to see Psycho. Ralph says "Oh that's the one where Norman is his own mother." With a look of disappointment they turn around and file back into the house.
Old 05-22-19, 10:21 AM
  #68  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,158
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: How do you feeling about people spoiling the ending of a TV Show or Movie?

I don't really care. People get so wound up about this stuff, I personally don't understand why. I guess I just don't care that much about pop culture. Still, everyone's different and deliberately posting spoilers is childish. I can't really judge people who do deeply care about this stuff.

I do object a bit if the source material is out in the public for years and people still get riled about "spoilers". Movies that were released years ago are fair game to be spoiled, as are movies based on books that had been released years previously. In this regard, the Game of Thrones spoiler police were particularly irritating example. It was initially annoying because the initial books were published in the nineties and were best sellers and yet people expected to stay in a perfect bubble somehow. This hyper-sensitivity became more and more ludicrous as the seasons went by with some fans freaking out over the most minor leak. It got to the point where mentioning a character's name or a location became a "spoiler".

In my opinion, people who post spoilers deliberately to annoy others are doing so because the spoiler police are so easily riled. Everyone should just relax.
Old 05-22-19, 10:40 AM
  #69  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 38,046
Received 1,046 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: How do you feeling about people spoiling the ending of a TV Show or Movie?

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
I don't really care. People get so wound up about this stuff, I personally don't understand why. I guess I just don't care that much about pop culture. Still, everyone's different and deliberately posting spoilers is childish. I can't really judge people who do deeply care about this stuff.

I do object a bit if the source material is out in the public for years and people still get riled about "spoilers". Movies that were released years ago are fair game to be spoiled, as are movies based on books that had been released years previously. In this regard, the Game of Thrones spoiler police were particularly irritating example. It was initially annoying because the initial books were published in the nineties and were best sellers and yet people expected to stay in a perfect bubble somehow. This hyper-sensitivity became more and more ludicrous as the seasons went by with some fans freaking out over the most minor leak. It got to the point where mentioning a character's name or a location became a "spoiler".

In my opinion, people who post spoilers deliberately to annoy others are doing so because the spoiler police are so easily riled. Everyone should just relax.
You can't understand why people don't want to have a plot point spoiled before they watch something? It's not a pop culture thing, it's more of a courtesy thing and an annoyance when you're trying to enjoy something for the first time.

I think the issue with stuff like books to shows/movies is that before the show came out, the likelihood of GoT coming up in conversation and someone wanting to tell you plot points if you haven't read it is probably 0. But after it gets popular, if you have the info it's like people can't contain themselves to show you their knowledge. Which I understand, I'm a comic geek, but I also understand why people get annoyed by it.
Old 05-22-19, 11:03 AM
  #70  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Posts: 20,053
Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: How do you feeling about people spoiling the ending of a TV Show or Movie?

No, it’s a pop culture thing. Spoiling Endgame was a “thing”. Like Tebow-ing and Planking were a “thing”. That’s why Sonny’s co-worker did it. It was a popular thing to do a few weeks ago. A source of comedy. Like that video I posted.

The day Endgame came out Instagram was a mine field. If you watched a cute puppy video the number one comment with 2,000 likes was, “That’s as cute as when Iron Man (I won’t say it).”

There were also fake spoilers. “That puppy reminds me of how Peper takes it doggy style from Black Panther.” It was a thing.
Old 05-22-19, 11:15 AM
  #71  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 38,046
Received 1,046 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: How do you feeling about people spoiling the ending of a TV Show or Movie?

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
No, it’s a pop culture thing. Spoiling Endgame was a “thing”. Like Tebow-ing and Planking were a “thing”. That’s why Sonny’s co-worker did it. It was a popular thing to do a few weeks ago. A source of comedy. Like that video I posted.

The day Endgame came out Instagram was a mine field. If you watched a cute puppy video the number one comment with 2,000 likes was, “That’s as cute as when Iron Man (I won’t say it).”

There were also fake spoilers. “That puppy reminds me of how Peper takes it doggy style from Black Panther.” It was a thing.
Sure, that kind of intentional spoiling may be a pop culture thing, but he was saying he couldn't understand why people got so wound up about being spoiled about plot points, and I'm saying that's like human nature, not a pop culture thing.
Old 05-22-19, 07:43 PM
  #72  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 10,003
Received 521 Likes on 392 Posts
Re: How do you feeling about people spoiling the ending of a TV Show or Movie?

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
My Wife and I's health is more important than any movie. If you don't have any health issues and have loads of free time in your life, congratulations.
I know you want to portray yourself as a victim, but every time you say that have very serious and important things going on in your life, you are just making my point over and over.
Old 05-22-19, 08:27 PM
  #73  
DVD Talk Legend
 
whotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ^ Kristen Bell
Posts: 20,932
Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts
Re: How do you feeling about people spoiling the ending of a TV Show or Movie?

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
I know you want to portray yourself as a victim, but every time you say that have very serious and important things going on in your life, you are just making my point over and over.
I wouldnít use this as the basis of your point.
Old 05-22-19, 08:28 PM
  #74  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Sonny Corinthos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Port Charles, NY.
Posts: 7,046
Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts
Re: How do you feeling about people spoiling the ending of a TV Show or Movie?

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
I know you want to portray yourself as a victim, but every time you say that have very serious and important things going on in your life, you are just making my point over and over.
Yeah, whatever. In no way shape or form was I trying to portray myself as a victim. I was just pointing out how dickish some people can be by trying to spoil things for people who may not have been able to watch TV shows or films when they are first shown or released. You more than prove my point that there's not only dicks in the real world, but there are people who are dicks on the internet as well.
Old 05-22-19, 08:33 PM
  #75  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,468
Received 163 Likes on 128 Posts
Re: How do you feeling about people spoiling the ending of a TV Show or Movie?

Three things for me regarding spoilers:

1. I will turn off my social media and avoid entertainment websites. Itís my responsibility to avoid spoilers.

2. I will never tell people they canít talk about ďlast nightís episodeĒ or a movie yet if I havenít seen it. I will kindly ask them to warn me they are about to talk spoilers, and I will gladly leave the room for 5-10 minutes or however long they plan to talk about it. This is common at work. Just let me know and Iíll leave the room. Easy.

3. If you are my friend and you purposely spoil something just to be an ass, I will not be your friend anymore. I state that upfront whenever a big movie is about to be released.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.