Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: Do you like to read for pleasure?
Yes - Books, Magazines and Newspapers
81.43%
Sometimes
14.29%
No - I don't enjoy it
2.86%
No - I don't because I just don't have the time
1.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Be honest...do you like to read for pleasure?

Old 05-04-19, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Be honest...do you like to read for pleasure?

Question is in the title, do you like to read for pleasure?

Like books (fiction and non-fiction), magazines, newspapers? DVD Talk message boards and comics don't count.

or have you become lazy and want everything visual? or do you simply just not have time to sit down and read?

For me, I like to read travel books, some non-fiction like I own a Making of Die Hard series book. I more or less skim through the magazines I get.

I don't have time to read or buy original fiction. Kudos to you who have the time and discipline to do that. I haven't read a Fiction book since High School. I struggle reading fiction books. The last one I think I read from start to finish was Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky. That was brutal, but it was grade dependent. Otherwise I would not have touched it. And I mean brutal by it was a chore to read because of book length. I think it took me over a week and 3 hours per night to get through it.
Old 05-04-19, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

re: Be honest...do you like to read for pleasure?

I went through phases and stuck to mostly best seller fictional stuff. Last 10 years I completely flipped and have been reading on average of 1-3 hours a day, some in the morning, but mostly at night. Now it’s biographies, a shit ton of history, and still a lot of fiction. I’m even back to writing again. Just a good way to unplug from the reality of what’s going on, mostly politics and world events. It’s also been therapy for stuff I’ve had to dealt with over the past couple of years.
Old 05-04-19, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a ton of classic scifi on my Kindle and try to read a little everyday at lunch. My brain needs the change of pace to keep me sane.
I pretty much only read fiction, I've never gotten much into any type of biographies or histories.
Old 05-04-19, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope Kindle counts. I read paper books too, but I'll admit most of my reading is done online--that's where I use my local newspaper subscription and catch up on Huffington Post and CNN for other news.

I too prefer nonfiction. There are a very few fiction writers--Stephen King, Fannie Flagg, Rita Mae Brown--whose fiction I will seek out (although Rita Mae hasn't written anything but mysteries for years now so I rarely read her), but for the most part I read memoirs, biographies, political science, and sociology, with an on-and-off interest in true crime. I say on-and-off because there's so much badly written, wikipedia-researched crap out there that really good true crime work is hard to winnow out. My idea of a true crime writer is Ann Rule, Jack Olsen, Pete Earley--and two of those are dead. I also enjoy reading about people's experiences in various careers, such as medicine, law, nursing, or teaching.

I have always loved to read, I think because I had a mother who loved to read and who read to her children whenever she could. I can still remember her delight in my growing interest in books as I learned to read myself. I consider it a gift she passed down.

Last edited by Vibiana; 05-04-19 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Enhance
Old 05-04-19, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I definitely enjoy reading for pleasure, I just wish I had more time (made more time) to do so.

I remember when I finished grad school, I said I couldn’t wait to read something for entertainment. I had done so much reading for educational purposes, I couldn’t wait to “shut my brain off” and just enjoy something written. I read the Hunger Games series in a matter of 3 or 4 days.
Old 05-04-19, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yep, 1-2 hours a night every night. Basically go through fiction books - military themed, fantasy, sci-if - I land on a series and read it all and then move on to a ďrecommendedĒ series from the one I just finished, then jump to a completely different genre and spend the next month or so on that. I regularly sleep less to read more.
Old 05-04-19, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I read every day. I read while I eat lunch, I read in waiting rooms, I read before bed. I read on my Kindle and I read paper books. It's mostly fiction with a smattering of science and history.

I don't read magazines or newspapers anymore. I still read the material, but I get all that from the internet.
Old 05-05-19, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, I love to read. Mostly fiction with a focus on classic literature but also sci-fi, horror, crime, etc. I try to read for at least a half-hour each day and usually have two, sometimes three books going at a time. Right now I'm reading Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson and a book of short stories by Shirley Jackson.

As John Waters said, 'If you go home with somebody, and they don't have books, don't fuck them.'
Old 05-05-19, 01:02 AM

Ive got around 3000 books on my kindle and tons of comics in boxes that i keep saying im going to read but I just never actually do anymore. I used to read all the time but I just kinda stopped. I keep planning to make a dent in my books though. I read two books this year and their the first ones I read in about 5 years.
Old 05-05-19, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I used to read voraciously, but starting in my 20’s would have phases where I couldn’t focus, and would start multiple books without finishing. Those phases have kept getting longer, and I’m in one now. Fiction especially is harder to dedicate the time and mental energy to. I’m hoping I’ll find the right book to snap me out of it. It usually takes a really captivating page-turner to pull me out of a funk.
As I mentioned in my health at 40 thread, I’ve recently been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD. I really thought that Adderall would help me out of the rut but it hasn’t.
But honestly I’m still reading non-stop in my free time. It’s just that it tends to be websites and subreddits on topics that interest me.
Old 05-05-19, 05:53 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I always have a book going, typically scifi/fantasy or horror. I read in bed before falling asleep, every night. Sometimes I'll read my book while I'm in the bathroom. I don't read magazines or newspapers unless it's the only thing to read. I very rarely read non-fiction, I mostly read for entertainment. Reading is good exercise for your brain.
Old 05-05-19, 06:28 AM
Needs to check his email

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
I hope Kindle counts.
and another question -

Do audiobooks count? I've found that at times I look forward to trips in the car, I just finished Michael Crichton's Dragon Teeth.
Old 05-05-19, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm with Abob on this one.

I still buy a lot of books, but I'm awful at finding the time to read them. During the past few years, I've read a few books each summer, but during the school year I don't make the time to read. My main rationale for not reading is that I've got a gazillion DVDs and Blu-rays that I've never watched, and I'd rather knock a movie off the unwatched list in two hours than knock a book off the unread list in ten-twenty hours.

I'm also a horrendously-slow reader; I blame grad school for that (as an English major, all my reading had to be close reading). If I'm reading for information, I can fly through a text, but if I'm reading for pleasure, I have to take my time and savor the words. In fact, when reading for pleasure, I usually read aloud so that I can hear the sounds of the language and not just see the words on the page.

I've also found that my attention span has gotten shorter and shorter over the years. I blame the Internet for that.
Old 05-05-19, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've loved reading since I was first learning how to. I'm a voracious reader, I need to read. Books, comics, magazines, newspapers; fiction and non-fiction. If it's a topic I'm interested in, or a story in a favorite genre, I'll read the hell out of it!

My wife, who doesn't read, always asks me how I know these random facts and things I just seem to pull out of nowhere. I always tell her the same thing, because I read.

As John Waters said, 'If you go home with somebody, and they don't have books, don't fuck them.
Heh, I remember that quote, I probably read it in his book "Shock Value", which I've read several times because it's so entertaining. Yeah, that's another thing, if I really love a book, I have no problem reading it again. It's like rewatching a favorite film.

Honestly, reading makes you more knowledgeable and well rounded, improves your imagination, spelling, grammar, vocabulary, etc. Plus it's a very healthy pastime, it's good exercise for your mind, I wouldn't be surprised if regular readers have a lesser chance of developing dementia when they get older.
Old 05-05-19, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Reading puts me to sleep.
Old 05-05-19, 11:47 AM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles

I like to proofread for pleasure. Although I'm guilty of my share of typos too...

"Be honest...Do you like the read for pleasure?"

We read so fast our mind corrects the mistake.
Old 05-05-19, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I read constantly. Ever since I found my grandmother's copy of Stephen King's IT when I was 14. Before that I equated reading to school work.
Old 05-05-19, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I HATE everything being visual. Specifically, I loathe websites that have a story which is only a video. I want to read the article, as it's much quicker than listening to it. And I'm not even a particularly fast reader, except when it comes to subtitles.
Old 05-05-19, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One of my favorite daily routines is a fresh pot of coffee and reading the newspaper. I check a number of online news sites through the day, but kicking back and having a paper is so much more enjoyable and satisfying to me. I also tend to read more of the paper since I see each page, whereas online sites I only read what I happen to click on.

Since retiring at the end of last year, I've also gotten into reading every day. Again with coffee. That has quickly become an anticipated part of the afternoon. I will not read on my tablet. I just can't adapt. Gotta be a physical book for me!
Old 05-05-19, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes, I like the read very much

Tracking my reading on Goodreads (which I've found a great place to get suggestions for new things to try), I average about 30-40 books a year. Lying in bed getting ready to go to sleep is my prime reading times. 30-60 minutes of leisure reading really helps my brain to wind down and get a good night's sleep. Much more so than things like tv watching (and there is strong scientific evidence that the light from tv make it harder to get to sleep, not easier).

Admittedly my reading choices are pretty low-brow (almost all genre fiction, like sci-fi, fantasy, thrillers, and horror). But that's what I enjoy at the times I choose to read.
Old 05-05-19, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I go through phases where Iíll be in the mood to read and Iíll tear through 3 or 4 novels in a week. Then Iíll get busy and not read for a few months.

Iíve also got two little kids under 5 so I donít have a lot of time to read outside of the normal kids crap before their bedtime. Iíd like to be able to read before bed myself but lately I get in bed, watch 10 minutes of the local news and Iím out.

When I do read I have to genre hop. I canít read two horror books to two adventure books in a row. I need to do one horror, one adventure, one history, etc.

Old 05-05-19, 03:47 PM

Yes, I enjoy reading books. I was on vacation a few weeks ago, and was able to read a couple of books while relaxing by the pool.

I also get the weekend newspaper delivered to my house.
Old 05-05-19, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
and another question -

Do audiobooks count? I've found that at times I look forward to trips in the car, I just finished Michael Crichton's Dragon Teeth.
Iím going with a hard and staunch ďNOĒ. You may have enjoyed the material and gotten the information, but listening to an audiobook is NOT reading the book. A long time ago, I worked a data entry job and would go through tons of audiobooks. Iím not biased against them (unlike some people), but I certainly didnít read those books.
Old 05-05-19, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll listen to audiobooks when we take road trips. But they don't require the concentration of reading. When I hit traffic that I have to pay attention to, it's like flipping pages without absorbing the content. Twenty minutes have gone, and Archie is telling Nero Wolfe about some plot point I never heard about.

On the other hand, a audiobook reader of John McPhee's reads all those long technical terms that I kind of blip over when I'm reading to myself. He actually speaks the sentence, "Clinoptilolite, eclogite, migmatite, tincalconite, szaibelyite, pumpellyte."

Last edited by Nick Danger; 05-05-19 at 04:19 PM.
Old 05-05-19, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Absolutely! I like real books, on GOOD quality acid-free paper, hardcover of course, preferably with quality sewn binding that won't fall apart after one reading. Mostly nonfiction. Books, like everything else, and probably more so due to the "digital book" crap, have rapidly dwindled in quality over the last 10 to 15 years. Your $30 now buys a hardcover (*if* the book has even been published in a hardcover version, which is increasingly doubtful now) printed on pulp paper which will yellow in a year, and crappy glued binding which will crack and disintegrate after a couple of years.

Reading books, I learn about a subject(s) while immensely enjoying enjoying the experience, all at my own pace. The futther bonus is that it is a silent activity, and you're not being bombarded with a wall of noise, as in lectures and videos , etc. Silence is golden.

Apparently I'm in the minority, judging by the mountains of books that I see at my local friend's library sales these days! Their loss, my gain. Much of what is donated is garbage, but there are many treasures in the rough worth adding to my permanent collection... Most of the books are cherry-picked for resale by idiots who come in with their phones and begin the scanning frenzy. They have no interest in reading OR the spirit of why Friends library bookstores exist for... I've gotten in fights with these scalpers before, and usually win! They're ridiculously meek when you confront them on the wrongness of what they're doing. In fact, in my volunteering stints at my local library, I flatly deny sales to these people. We still do well in spite of them not succeeding with their profiteering stints in my presence.

Last edited by zyzzle; 05-05-19 at 05:56 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.