Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Do You Get Any Subscription Boxes?

Old 05-03-19, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Do You Get Any Subscription Boxes?

Was curious if anyone subscribes to those monthly boxes you can get for seemingly anything these days. I recently came across Universal Yums, which is a box that includes snacks and candies from a different country each month. Tempted to try it.

Of course there are subscription boxes for fashion, camping stuff, etc. Do you guys get any?
Old 05-03-19, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Do You Get Any Subscription Boxes?

I get Retro Game Treasure. Itís kind of fun to get a random assortment of retro games, and I donít have a place locally to buy them so it works out to get a box sent to me. Currently I have it set up to send me NES, SNES, Genesis, GameBoy (regular and color), GBA, Famicom, and Super Famicom.

Last edited by Mike86; 05-03-19 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-03-19, 07:42 PM

I subscribed to Japan Crate for a few months. I enjoyed getting it. But for $25-$35 a month, it didn't seem like a good value. There were always a couple decent items. But half the items were really small. I hear they've added more stuff to the current boxes. So I might try them again.

https://www.japancrate.com/
Old 05-06-19, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I got LootCrate for a year, but the stuff I didn't want far outweighed the stuff I liked, so I canceled it. I also got a Star Wars box for a year, which was cool because every new one had a different Funko Pop figure, but again, after a while I ended that one as well.
Old 05-06-19, 07:09 AM

I get the bam box and bam.horror.box. Each one comes with a autograph, prop replica art print and lapel pin. Plus each month has additional things based on the themes. In march they sent a boba fett funko pop that was autographed and in december a heather langenkamp autograph. I did lootcrate for a few years but they have gone downhill so bad and their always late and never update their subscribers with anything
Old 05-06-19, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just started a subscription to StitchFix - Which works for me since I'm not very good at clothes shopping.

I've had a subscription to Bespoke Post - it's $45 a month but you can skip or change your box every month. It's one of those subscriptions you need to stay on top of otherwise you'll end up spending lots of money on shit you don't want.
Old 05-06-19, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I used to get Lootcrate when it first started, and a few pro wrestling boxes recently but I quickly realized it's much cheaper and easier to just watch an unboxing video on YT each month and buy the items I want individually on eBay rather then be stuck with a box of crap I gotta accumulate in my house, or sell on eBay myself.

My wife subscribes to a couple of clothing & jewelry ones.
Old 05-06-19, 09:28 AM

My wife knits and I've been thinking of surprising her with the Darn Good Yarn box. $10/month is affordable.
Old 05-06-19, 09:37 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

I got Loot Crate for a few months, but canceled it when I realized it was junk I had no use for, other than the t-shirts... and even then... I only remember one of the shirts I got, and I don't know where any of them are anymore... buried in a closet or given to charity.

My wife started getting Stitch Fix, where they send you clothes and you send back what you don't want, then they charge you for what you keep (minus the monthly fee). She seems to like it so far (been 2 months I think...) but it can be... expensive. I'm not sure she'll keep it going for much longer.
Old 05-06-19, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had LootCrate for awhile, and Horror Block. They are fun to have, but after awhile you realize all you really get is a bunch of stuff that is pretty much junk, the fun of them showing up each month wears off.
Old 05-06-19, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I used to get NerdBlock but they became unreliable and went out of business. I think I cancelled them before they went totally belly up and wasn't left having paid for stuff that I never got, like some people were. I did have a couple boxes that were substantially delayed and promised items were substituted out though.

Also I kinda realized that they were mostly junk that we never used, but my kids liked opening them (and usually fighting over the contents). I never bothered to try another box after that.
Old 05-06-19, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had Loot Crate for like two months. Truthfully it was mostly garbage and I hardly even remember the items. I signed up for their Star Trek Mission Crate as well, which was better to a degree, but still not worth the value. Plus it was so unreliable as it was supposed to he every other month and it was more like six months between. Iíve gotten three and am still owed a fourth. Theyíve cancelled the box going forward, but supposedly if people have paid for a subscription theyíll get what theyíve paid for.

I also had the Nerd Block, but I believe it was the last one or one of the last ones before they went out of business. I wasnít paying for a subscription and just bought a single month of it. Item-wise it was better than Loot Crate in my opinion. Probably would have given them a chance if they stuck around.

Retro Game Treasure is a good service though. Maybe a tad overpriced (depends sometimes there will be a more surprise title but often itís pretty common stuff), but no delays and at least three or more games per box. Nicely packaged and they communicate well, and itís kind of a fun thing to get monthly. Especially like I mentioned since I donít have a place locally to go for retro games.

Last edited by Mike86; 05-06-19 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-08-19, 06:55 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

I’ve tried a few of them, and found them largely worthwhile and fun.

I did a year or so of Horror Pack. For about $22 a month shipped, I got a box of four Horror blu-rays. One per month was an exclusive, and some were signed. I have a huge horror film collection already, so rarely got four titles that were new to me. Probably averaged three un-owned and one repeat every month, but the selection got worse near the end, so I didn’t renew.

For about a year, that company had a Rue Morgue Box. For $30 shipped, you got the current issue of Rue Morgue, a t-shirt, a blu-ray, and a couple trinkets or collectibles. It was fun, but I’m sort of glad they recently stopped producing it.

The one I really miss is Comic Block from the bankrupt Nerd Block. It was a monthly box of a t-shirt, several comics (often exclusive variants), and a couple trinkets for $20. I signed up for it initially in it’s third month, and stuck with it until it went defunct 25 or so months later. I was able to score boxes 1 and 2 on ebay, so I’m probably one of the few idiots on the planet who own every item they put out.
Old 05-09-19, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I watched few Loot Crate unboxing videos on Youtube after reading about the service. It was weird watching people open these up and gush over what was basically a bunch of crap. It was like a funko pop figurine, and five or six things that seemed like promotional giveaway items.

These things are absolutely not for me. For every item that I might want, there were probably two dozen bits of what amounts to clutter. I try not acquire too much clutter because I have a hard time getting rid of it, and tend to hang onto it for too long in the “well, I paid for it” or “this might be valuable someday” modes.
Old 05-09-19, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
I just started a subscription to StitchFix - Which works for me since I'm not very good at clothes shopping.
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
My wife started getting Stitch Fix, where they send you clothes and you send back what you don't want, then they charge you for what you keep (minus the monthly fee). She seems to like it so far (been 2 months I think...) but it can be... expensive. I'm not sure she'll keep it going for much longer.
I do Stitch Fix as well. Iím terrible at shopping for my own clothes and just figured it would be easier to have them send me stuff and Iíd wear it. Theyíve got some pretty decent things but even at the cheapest setting some of the items can get pretty expensive. I was keeping an average of about 1 item per box. Iíve currently got the boxes on hold until I need more clothes.

My biggest issue with them is that a lot of their clothes seem to be some sort of Stitch Fix in-house brand so I canít tell if itís a quality item or not just by looking at it. Maybe if you change the setting for more expensive items youíll get more recognizable brand names, I donít know.
Old 05-09-19, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
I watched few Loot Crate unboxing videos on Youtube after reading about the service. It was weird watching people open these up and gush over what was basically a bunch of crap. It was like a funko pop figurine, and five or six things that seemed like promotional giveaway items.

These things are absolutely not for me. For every item that I might want, there were probably two dozen bits of what amounts to clutter. I try not acquire too much clutter because I have a hard time getting rid of it, and tend to hang onto it for too long in the ďwell, I paid for itĒ or ďthis might be valuable somedayĒ modes.
I mean, these people are basically paid to gush over it, so it's not surprising.

It's basically built for someone who wants to give someone a gift, but doesn't know too much about the topic besides "my nephew likes Game of Thrones." Because if you're a fan of GoT and you have money to buy this, you have money to buy whatever trinkets you want individually and not get a surprise box.

The classic games one does seem interesting, though. If I still had my old consoles out I could go for that, though I probably own the majority of the games I was interested in anyway.
Old 05-10-19, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've done a snack and a clothing one and cancelled them. Not sold on them (no pun intended).
Old 05-10-19, 05:25 PM

I get regular pizza deliveries for me and my dad.
Old 05-10-19, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
The classic games one does seem interesting, though. If I still had my old consoles out I could go for that, though I probably own the majority of the games I was interested in anyway.
Forgot to mention that you input your collection into their database so you donít get duplicates. They also will update the list with what they send you. You can also list preferences as far as consoles you want to collect for, genres, and you can set up a wishlist. Also generally the games come in pretty fair cosmetic shape (carts and labels are usually fair). Iíve had to clean the contacts on a few of them though.
Old 05-15-19, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My friend gets barkbox for her dog and likes it. I don't do any subscriptions--well, I have one to Milk Street magazine but am cancelling before the $1 intro rate ends. It's okay, but I have so many cookbooks already, and there is so much available for free from the library and the internet. I cancelled my NYT cooking subscription as well, since it seemed redundant.
Old 05-15-19, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm in a beer-of-the-month club where I get 3 of four different beers. I get a new shipment every 3 months instead of every month. The nice thing is that I get an email ahead of time with what the selections will be, so if I'm not interested in those beers I can skip it and it will go to the next month. The way the renewal works, it acts as a birthday/anniversary/Father's Day gift for me, which my wife appreciates...