Other Talk "Otterville"

eBay Rants

Old 07-21-19, 09:07 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 187 Likes on 133 Posts
re: eBay Rants

^ I'd have just told the seller if he wanted it back he needed to send you a return shipping label at his expense, that you tried to send it to him once but no one was home to claim it, all messaged through the Ebay system so Ebay had a record of your correspondence.

You'd already gotten your refund, the ball was in his court (so to speak). If he wanted it back that badly he needed to "shit or get off the pot".

I agree with Sonic about a shipping refund, Ebay will just take it out of the seller's funds.
Old 07-21-19, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 470 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
The head scratcher with the the communication restrictions, is that if they simply loosened their grip, the amount of people trying to circumvent eBay fees is minuscule. They create animosity and uncertainty and then spend money policing, when they could just go with the flow.
Yes, that's what pisses me off so much. Their draconian response smacks of a police-state. The only "fraud" being committed in such circumventing by savvy users of their policies is upon Ebay itself, which I support to the utmost extent. Amazon does this as well, in all of its gadzillion "filtering" algorithms, which I'm sure they've spent billions on fine-tuning and 'perfecting'

If Ebay left the issue alone, they'd surely make more money by the (majority) of non-savvy users of its site.
Old 07-29-19, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 249 Likes on 148 Posts

I no longer think I'm dealing with Ebay's communication restrictions as much as lazy-ass sellers who simply don't answer questions. If you don't like questions, then do a better job of describing your shit!
Old 07-29-19, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 663 Likes on 468 Posts

My favorite questions are prospective buyers asking if I can wait to be paid when they get their paycheck next week. Sorry, your lack of liquidity is not my problem, if you have a hard time scraping forty bucks together to buy my shit, maybe ebay shouldn't be your priority right now.
Old 07-29-19, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 449 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
My favorite questions are prospective buyers asking if I can wait to be paid when they get their paycheck next week. Sorry, your lack of liquidity is not my problem, if you have a hard time scraping forty bucks together to buy my shit, maybe ebay shouldn't be your priority right now.
What those buyers are really doing is using you as a call option - they look for a better deal on the item they won so they can renege on the purchase.
Old 07-29-19, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, it's certainly likely. All I know is whenever I get a question like that I revise my listing to require immediate payment upon purchase, not messing around with time wasters.
Old 07-29-19, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts

My last few sales have been from international buyers. They are the best. Never had no problems with international buyers. Sometimes I go out of my way for them because they deserve it. I no longer use the global shipping center. I use First Class International. Ebay overcharges them too much with global shipping which is ridiculous.
Old 07-29-19, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I've had great experiences with international buyers (including using Google Translate in order to communicate with a buyer in Germany who didn't know English at all ). Global shipping is a total rip off, I always turn that option off.
Old 07-29-19, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts

(including using Google Translate in order to communicate with a buyer in Germany who didn't know English at all )

Old 07-30-19, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a guy do that to me for a $3.99 video game.
Old 09-13-19, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

Any Ebay sellers get requests from the buyer to use their own shipping labels becuase it is cheaper for them? I've received a few messages like this from "buyers" over the years. It's usually on the more expensive items and sometimes the items I have are listed for free shipping. In my opinion, just about every one of these is a scam. Even if the buyer has the ship to address as the verified Paypal address, they can just reroute the package after it is shipped to another address and then file an "item not received" complaint and get all their money back. The seller will also not be able to make an insurance claim if the item is damaged during transit, but the buy can since they are using their label. So they can still file an "item not received" complaint, return the item, get the money back from the seller and get the money back from the insurance claim as well.
Old 09-13-19, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 208 Likes on 149 Posts

^Never heard of or ran into that. I would refuse automatically anyway.
Old 09-13-19, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
^Never heard of or ran into that. I would refuse automatically anyway.
I'm very likely h=just going to ignore his message. I had an item on sale from $399.95 to $296. He's offering me $250. It's a little lower than I want as I know I can hold out and eventually get more. If he hadn't brought up using his own label, I may have considered it or countered him at $275. But my Spider Sense goes off when they suggest using their own label. I only had shipping listed at $9.95 which included insurance, so it's not that much that a buyer would need to go through all that trouble to save $10 on an item as high as $250. Either they are going to reroute the package, pull a scam by claiming it is damaged and collect insurance and get a refund, or they are stealing from their employer by using their shipping account for their own use.
Old 09-13-19, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
I'm very likely h=just going to ignore his message. I had an item on sale from $399.95 to $296. He's offering me $250. It's a little lower than I want as I know I can hold out and eventually get more. If he hadn't brought up using his own label, I may have considered it or countered him at $275. But my Spider Sense goes off when they suggest using their own label. I only had shipping listed at $9.95 which included insurance, so it's not that much that a buyer would need to go through all that trouble to save $10 on an item as high as $250. Either they are going to reroute the package, pull a scam by claiming it is damaged and collect insurance and get a refund, or they are stealing from their employer by using their shipping account for their own use.
I would be wary of him completely because of that and refuse his offer. That way he doesn't buy it from you at all and you don't have to worry about him trying some other scam like saying it isn't in the stated condition or whatever.
Old 09-13-19, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 249 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
I would be wary of him completely because of that and refuse his offer. That way he doesn't buy it from you at all and you don't have to worry about him trying some other scam like saying it isn't in the stated condition or whatever.
Sounds sketchy to me. The label thing would have my Spidey Sense goin' off, too. Not that I sell a lot of expensive items, but when I do I jigger the rough mail costs into my price so I can offer "free shipping". That might help avoid people wanting to use their own labels.
Old 09-13-19, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,232 Likes on 883 Posts

If it's a phone you're selling, I'd be very wary.

Seems like the crooks and scammers are always going for phones.

Old 09-13-19, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
If it's a phone you're selling, I'd be very wary.

Seems like the crooks and scammers are always going for phones.
It's not a phone or any type of electronics. I stay out of those categories because I know they are more trouble than they are worth and you will get a lot of scammers in those categories. The item I'm selling is an autograped poster/print. I know I can wait and someone will eventually buy it at the regular price or when I have a sale, so I really don't have a need to lower it any more. My price is already lower than any other sellers for legitimate items similiar to what I have listed. Becuase the item is somewhat expensive it just takes much longer to sell.
Old 09-15-19, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I've been an eBay member for almost two decades, but I've just been scammed by a seller for the first time. I won an action figure set at auction for around $150 - about $50 cheaper than the going rate. I had a question for the seller before submitting payment and they replied quickly with the answer I needed. Everything seemed to be on the level. I paid a week and a half ago (including $15 for Priority Mail), but never got a shipping notice. They are now completely ignoring me.

In doing some research on the item, I discovered the seller had put up the same listing using a different account back in July. They had sold it as a "Buy It Now" listing for over $200. The pictures and description in the listing were identical (they use the same multicolored rug as a background for most of their ebay photos), so I know it's the same person using two different accounts. Strangely, the seller feedback on both accounts is solid. No reports of them trying to rip people off before now.

I really wanted to give this person the benefit of the doubt. I thought maybe they had an accident or an emergency come up, but they've continued to list new items (like scalping the latest TOOL album) as recently as yesterday. I opened a case against them on Friday, which they're also ignoring. I'm so annoyed that eBay is making me wait until this Thursday before they'll step in and get me my money back.

Last edited by joe_b; 09-15-19 at 09:03 PM.
Old 09-15-19, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by joe_b View Post
I've been using eBay for almost two decades, but I've just been scammed by a seller for the first time. Bought an action figure set for nearly $150 (about $50 cheaper than the going rate). I had a question for the seller before purchasing and they replied quickly with the answer I needed. Everything seemed to be on the level. I paid a week and a half ago (including $15 for Priority Mail), but never got a shipping notice. They are now completely ignoring me.

In doing some research on the item, I discovered the seller had put up the same listing using a different account back in August. They had sold it as a "Buy It Now" listing for over $200. The pictures and description in the listing were identical (they use the same multicolored rug as a background for most of their ebay photos), so I know it's the same person using two different accounts. Strangely, the seller feedback on both accounts is solid. No reports of them trying to rip people off before now.

I really wanted to give this person the benefit of the doubt. I thought maybe they had an accident or an emergency come up, but they've continued to list new items (like scalping the latest TOOL album) as recently as yesterday. I opened a case against them on Friday, which they're also ignoring. I'm so annoyed that eBay is making me wait until this Thursday before they'll step in and get me my money back.
It could be both hijacked accounts if they previously had a lot of positives and no negatives on both accounts. Is the item location in the same city/state on both accounts?
Old 09-15-19, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joe_b View Post
I've been an eBay member for almost two decades, but I've just been scammed by a seller for the first time. I won an action figure set at auction for around $150 - about $50 cheaper than the going rate. I had a question for the seller before submitting payment and they replied quickly with the answer I needed. Everything seemed to be on the level. I paid a week and a half ago (including $15 for Priority Mail), but never got a shipping notice. They are now completely ignoring me.

In doing some research on the item, I discovered the seller had put up the same listing using a different account back in August. They had sold it as a "Buy It Now" listing for over $200. The pictures and description in the listing were identical (they use the same multicolored rug as a background for most of their ebay photos), so I know it's the same person using two different accounts. Strangely, the seller feedback on both accounts is solid. No reports of them trying to rip people off before now.

I wouldn't sweat it. Yeah, the time thing sucks but being the buyer, ebay will most certainly side with you and you will get your money back.
Old 09-15-19, 06:19 PM

It could be both hijacked accounts if they previously had a lot of positives and no negatives on both accounts. Is the item location in the same city/state on both accounts?
Yup, San Diego. They've sold several expensive items over the last two weeks, but no recent buyer feedback has been posted for anything yet. I'm waiting to see if the negatives start flooding in or if I'm the only person they decided to screw over.
Old 09-15-19, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Hard to say. Sounds like they are a scammer who keeps their inventory in a multi channel inventory system.

Possible they just have bad inventory management and donít have your item.

The thing is you can only have .5% of orders escalated to a claim. So if youíre not managing it right, you get banned within a few months. Itís almost impossible for a seller to pull themselves out of a few escalated claims.
Old 09-15-19, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Also with new accounts you have to wait 21 days to get your money. It takes time to be accepted into PayPal and ebays system without being over regulated. So I donít know where the scam is anymore. More often it is just lazy part time sellers. Or they took your money, already spent it, and canít afford postage. That kind of thing happens ALOT.
Old 09-15-19, 08:51 PM

This seller is definitely small potatoes. Most of his/her listings are random junk - old records and PC games, mostly. Their (I assume) primary account is eight years old with a feedback count of just over 400. They have two negatives, both for selling faulty electronics.

The second account (where they listed the same action figure set back in July) is only a year old and has 34 feedback ratings. Two negatives on that one as well, one for overcharging on shipping and another for canceling and reselling at a higher price. They definitely confirmed the item was in-hand by answering my question after I won the auction. I have to assume they just lied because they needed some quick cash (it was a 24 hour listing) and never had another set to start with. If they wanted to be shady and cancel the order to resell at a higher price, that's their choice. Just issue my refund and don't waste any more of my time.

Last edited by joe_b; 09-16-19 at 02:44 AM.
Old 09-16-19, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok, so now I just got these really odd orders come in. I have about 60 of the same comic book listed in a single listing. It would sell sporadically. It's not worth much; about $6 before shipping. All of a sudden I have someone buy one. Withing seconds someone else buys 1, then someone else buys 5, then someone else buys 3, and then another person buys 1. This has been going on for the past few minutes and now I have about 18 different orders for the same book within minutes of each other and it looks like another similiar priced book at about the same price is being targeted.

I've never seen this before. Is someone using me as a drop shipper? It's just odd as this book isnt really a hot item or anything. All the orders are coming from different users and going to different parts of the country. It can't be coincidence that everyone wanted this one book all of a sudden after being listed on my site for about two years. So what gives here? He or she is still purchasing more as I'm typing this. i've got 27 orders in que so far from this? Any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.