Other Talk "Otterville"

eBay Rants

Old 01-19-22, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
Re: eBay Rants

First time I've had this happen. Post office shows delivered yesterday but recipient sent a note saying they see the same tracking as delivered but say didn't get it. I've had the post office state things "delivered" only to show the day or two after and the person is checking today's mail. Anyone had anything like this? If the person states it doesn't show, is it something to follow up with Ebay on or USPS?
Old 01-19-22, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 250 Likes on 149 Posts

Maybe porch pirates?
Old 01-20-22, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 820 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by rexinnih View Post
First time I've had this happen. Post office shows delivered yesterday but recipient sent a note saying they see the same tracking as delivered but say didn't get it. I've had the post office state things "delivered" only to show the day or two after and the person is checking today's mail. Anyone had anything like this? If the person states it doesn't show, is it something to follow up with Ebay on or USPS?
Yes. Due to how USPS is being handled, many workers who can't finish their route for whatever reason and have stuff to deliver by a certain date are scanning those packages as delivered, yet they actually don't deliver the item until the next day or two. Is either that or porch pirates.
Old 01-20-22, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 289 Likes on 205 Posts

I had mail/USPS dropped off at my house at 9pm the other day - never ever been even close to that late before.
Old 01-20-22, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 206 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
I had mail/USPS dropped off at my house at 9pm the other day - never ever been even close to that late before.
I've had a mail man come deliver a package to my house at 10PM.
Old 01-20-22, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
That was semi-regular for a few months last year (or was 2020??). My dog (90 pound German shepherd) would react to the noise and scare the shit outta me!
Old 01-20-22, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post
That was semi-regular for a few months last year (or was 2020??).
Yep...around 2yrs ago.
Old 01-20-22, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 472 Likes on 378 Posts

Same... In 35 years of owning my home, that's NEVER happened. Usually my mail is delivered by 11am. But, at least 5 times in the last month, it has been delivered in the dark -- after 6pm. I'm seriously beginning to worry if I'm not receiving possibly important mail. That's never happened before in all my life -- and it's extremely disconcerting and setting a very dangerous precident on the way down a slippery slope of no return....
Old 01-20-22, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Same... In 35 years of owning my home, that's NEVER happened. Usually my mail is delivered by 11am. But, at least 5 times in the last month, it has been delivered in the dark -- after 6pm. I'm seriously beginning to worry if I'm not receiving possibly important mail. That's never happened before in all my life -- and it's extremely disconcerting and setting a very dangerous precident on the way down a slippery slope of no return....
If you aren't using the USPS Informed Delivery thing, I suggest getting it. It's great for knowing what to expect, and the few times something was missing, I at least knew what it was.
The following users liked this post:
emanon (01-21-22)
Old 01-21-22, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Been reading through this thread (and the old posts) for a bit of entertainment. Saw a lot of bad tax information (and the occasional good piece of info) a few months back. As for the new 1099 rules, I'd point out a few things. People were always supposed to report all income they had. That includes things like finding a $20 bill on the street, re-selling a $20 purchase for $100, and winning $5 on a scratch off ticket. For various reasons (either ignorance or people didn't care) this rarely happened. Thanks to computers and technology, this is far more trackable now. So these "new" rules (which really aren't new as much as enforced tracking and reporting) it might require people to pay more income tax than they previously would have. However, as has been pointed out, you can deduct the cost of goods from any eBay revenues (among other deductions). For that reason alone, many eBay transactions will result in zero taxable income. And you might say you didn't save your receipt. And yes, that might be true. But I'd point out that the IRS doesn't literally require paper receipts. In fact, absent a few specific provisions in the IRS code, none literally require the original receipt. You just need to prove your claim and your verbal testimony could be enough. I'd also point out that tax filings largely operate on the honor system. Yes, you have to include the 1099s and the W2s that are reported anyway, but other deductions are based on what you tell the IRS. And unless the IRS audits you (which happens far less than I think most people assume), the IRS will accept your filing.

So, as an example, lets say you sell $1000 of stuff on eBay in 2022. eBay sends you a 1099. You deduct your expenses. You owe nothing. On the rare occasion the IRS actually gets into the specifics of what you filed, maybe you have online confirmation e-mails of what you paid. If you did not, you can state you bought this item new and sold it used. I generally doubt the IRS is really going to quibble over the price of a Blu-ray or even a somewhat bigger item. Unless you're selling over the purchase price, I think people are exaggerating the problem here. Frankly, I think the IRS won't care in 99.9% of situations.

One additional note, the IRS loves to audit people who take the home office deduction. Doesn't mean you cannot do it, but the place should be used 100% for business and not personal. And on that, definitely have as much documentation as possible.

Disclaimer - this if for info purposes only and not specific advice to any individual
The following 2 users liked this post by Jericho:
mickey65 (01-21-22), Spiderbite (01-22-22)
Old 01-21-22, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
Been reading through this thread (and the old posts) for a bit of entertainment. Saw a lot of bad tax information (and the occasional good piece of info) a few months back. As for the new 1099 rules, I'd point out a few things. People were always supposed to report all income they had. That includes things like finding a $20 bill on the street, re-selling a $20 purchase for $100, and winning $5 on a scratch off ticket. For various reasons (either ignorance or people didn't care) this rarely happened. Thanks to computers and technology, this is far more trackable now. So these "new" rules (which really aren't new as much as enforced tracking and reporting) it might require people to pay more income tax than they previously would have. However, as has been pointed out, you can deduct the cost of goods from any eBay revenues (among other deductions). For that reason alone, many eBay transactions will result in zero taxable income. And you might say you didn't save your receipt. And yes, that might be true. But I'd point out that the IRS doesn't literally require paper receipts. In fact, absent a few specific provisions in the IRS code, none literally require the original receipt. You just need to prove your claim and your verbal testimony could be enough. I'd also point out that tax filings largely operate on the honor system. Yes, you have to include the 1099s and the W2s that are reported anyway, but other deductions are based on what you tell the IRS. And unless the IRS audits you (which happens far less than I think most people assume), the IRS will accept your filing.

So, as an example, lets say you sell $1000 of stuff on eBay in 2022. eBay sends you a 1099. You deduct your expenses. You owe nothing. On the rare occasion the IRS actually gets into the specifics of what you filed, maybe you have online confirmation e-mails of what you paid. If you did not, you can state you bought this item new and sold it used. I generally doubt the IRS is really going to quibble over the price of a Blu-ray or even a somewhat bigger item. Unless you're selling over the purchase price, I think people are exaggerating the problem here. Frankly, I think the IRS won't care in 99.9% of situations.

One additional note, the IRS loves to audit people who take the home office deduction. Doesn't mean you cannot do it, but the place should be used 100% for business and not personal. And on that, definitely have as much documentation as possible.

Disclaimer - this if for info purposes only and not specific advice to any individual
I've never really thought about reporting found money, but I probably don't find more than $20 a year if I added up quarters I've randomly found and felt like picking up. I don't think that would be trackable in way though. I would guess that most minor lottery ticket winnings would be offset by the amount that people spend on the tickets per year, except for large winnings that require an id to collect anyways.

I'd imagine that since tax year 2020, there are many more home office deductions than in any year prior. Home office deductions have probably increased 5x since 2019. I've been running a home business for the past six years and my wife started a job working from home last year. I also store some of my merchandise in a spare bedroom, so we have two rooms dedicated to home offices and one room dedicated to storage for business purposes.
Old 01-21-22, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 289 Likes on 205 Posts

Most of the shit I sell on ebay are 30+ year old video games that, when adjusted for inflation, I probably sell at a loss.
Old 01-23-22, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Fuck I hate seeing that. I sent a expensive jacket to a buyer out to Colorado Springs on Tuesday was supposed to arrive yesterday Saturday but I think there is some shit going on out there. I sent him a message to sit tight but I hope USPS will not screw me over.
Old 01-23-22, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm also entertained by the number of seemingly righteous posters in this thread who apparently just love paying income tax! Sure, perhaps you're "supposed" to do this or that, but in truth, if the IRS can't track it or doesn't have a record of it, I'm sure 99.99% (should I add a few more 9s??) won't end up paying more tax. We're already paying far more tax than we should, and far more on average than we were even 20 years ago. With increased percentages being charged for sales tax, property tax, state income taxes, gasoline taxes, utilities taxes, and of course higher percentage brackets in the dreaded Federal taxes. And from where I sit, taxes are just going to increase, increase, increase until we get like some European countries whose average levied taxes on "middle income people" are between 55 and 60%. Yeah, those so-called "progressive" countries the poor and the indigent love to flock to as safe havens. We've become one of those... and I'm getting tired of paying for people to have the "right" not to work, while I've worked my ass off for the last 40+ years.
Old 01-23-22, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm also entertained by the number of seemingly righteous posters in this thread who apparently just love paying income tax! Sure, perhaps you're "supposed" to do this or that, but in truth, if the IRS can't track it or doesn't have a record of it, I'm sure 99.99% (should I add a few more 9s??) won't end up paying more tax. We're already paying far more tax than we should, and far more on average than we were even 20 years ago. With increased percentages being charged for sales tax, property tax, state income taxes, gasoline taxes, utilities taxes, and of course higher percentage brackets in the dreaded Federal taxes. And from where I sit, taxes are just going to increase, increase, increase until we get like some European countries whose average levied taxes on "middle income people" are between 55 and 60%. Yeah, those so-called "progressive" countries the poor and the indigent love to flock to as safe havens. We've become one of those... and I'm getting tired of paying for people to have the "right" not to work, while I've worked my ass off for the last 40+ years.
Nobody loves paying income tax, but it is what it is what one is legally required to do. Going by your bolded text above, one could use that reasoning to shoplift from a store; "If there's no cameras and no employees around to see it, it's ok to steal because there's no way for the store to track me stealing it". If you don't want to pay income taxes for profits you make on Ebay, simply don't sell on there and your problem is solved.
Old 01-23-22, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Fuck I hate seeing that. I sent a expensive jacket to a buyer out to Colorado Springs on Tuesday was supposed to arrive yesterday Saturday but I think there is some shit going on out there. I sent him a message to sit tight but I hope USPS will not screw me over.
I've seen that so frequently in the past year that I don't really worry about it anymore. It does irritate me, but so far it hasn't led to any lost packages (coming or going). Give it a day or two. You did good by notifying the buyer (I always appreciate when a seller is paying attention).
Sonic (01-23-22)
Old 01-23-22, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
Nobody loves paying income tax, but it is what it is what one is legally required to do. Going by your bolded text above, one could use that reasoning to shoplift from a store; "If there's no cameras and no employees around to see it, it's ok to steal because there's no way for the store to track me stealing it". If you don't want to pay income taxes for profits you make on Ebay, simply don't sell on there and your problem is solved.
No, because an employee, customer, or private detective still might see you, and it's still totally morally wrong to do so. With not reporting to IRS the tax you "owe" for finding a $20 bill on the street, the tax you "owe" for making $50 of profit on selling a 40-year-old electronics gadget you used in your childhood, there's NOBODY that could "catch" you, quite literally, and it's morally far, far down in the course of minor peccadillos one may commit in life. Further, is the IRS really going to bother for $70 of unreported income, or even $700 of unreported income if your AGI is > $100k per year?!! It's like Elon Musk bothering to take the time to pick up a $20 bill off the street. He shouldn't bother, because his time is too valuable... He'd actually be losing money if he stooped for a few seconds to pick up that bill....

Last edited by zyzzle; 01-23-22 at 08:36 PM.
mickey65 (01-23-22)
Old 01-24-22, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Paying 15% of your income is also major rape-page in my book. Should be half of that, tops.
Spiderbite (01-24-22)
Old 01-24-22, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 452 Likes on 389 Posts

It's death by a thousand cuts. While technically people were supposed to self-report miscellaneous income in the past like yard sale transactions and the like, almost no one did. The government knew this, tax payers knew this. Now because everything is automated through computers, the IRS has given everyone beyond retailers something extra to worry about.

Mistakes on these petty sales and exchanges will end up being used as a foot in the door by the IRS giving them cause and going after people.
Old 01-24-22, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No, because an employee, customer, or private detective still might see you, and it's still totally morally wrong to do so. With not reporting to IRS the tax you "owe" for finding a $20 bill on the street, the tax you "owe" for making $50 of profit on selling a 40-year-old electronics gadget you used in your childhood, there's NOBODY that could "catch" you, quite literally, and it's morally far, far down in the course of minor peccadillos one may commit in life. Further, is the IRS really going to bother for $70 of unreported income, or even $700 of unreported income if your AGI is > $100k per year?!! It's like Elon Musk bothering to take the time to pick up a $20 bill off the street. He shouldn't bother, because his time is too valuable... He'd actually be losing money if he stooped for a few seconds to pick up that bill....
but again, you are justifying doing something wrong or illegal based on weather or not you can get caught committing the act.
Old 01-24-22, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 151 Posts

Did you buy insurance?

The post office has been so fucked up over the last few years that I always pay the $1.70+ for anything usually over $50. Gives me peace of mind should something go missing. I would rather lose the 2 bucks than lose the 50+ bucks.
Old 01-24-22, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
Did you buy insurance?

The post office has been so fucked up over the last few years that I always pay the $1.70+ for anything usually over $50. Gives me peace of mind should something go missing. I would rather lose the 2 bucks than lose the 50+ bucks.
I didn't pay insurance because it's medium flat rate and it comes with $50 insurance. Maybe next time I should pay considering the value is much higher than $50. On the positive side the package finally arrived today in Colorado so a big sign of relief.
Old 01-25-22, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Mistakes on these petty sales and exchanges will end up being used as a foot in the door by the IRS giving them cause and going after people.
In the end, this is my biggest concern with this whole can of worms. It will give IRS another whole level of "over-reach". Pardon the corniness, but the octopus arms multiplied to reach out and strangle you even more. Once things like this get passed, it's merely a slippery slope on to more and more taxes being justified. That's really my beef with the whole thing. Not the pittance of extra tax it may generate *now*, but what a terrible precident it sets for *later*. As it is, I seemingly won't be affected by this terrible "law" since I don't sell online at all any more, but that doesn't mean I'm not scared shitless of its future ramifications for personal taxes in general. It's an awful, awful thing that was passed under our noses while we were down and out (COVID worries!)
PhantomStranger (01-25-22)
Old 01-25-22, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didn't pay insurance because it's medium flat rate and it comes with $50 insurance. Maybe next time I should pay considering the value is much higher than $50. On the positive side the package finally arrived today in Colorado so a big sign of relief.
If you generated your shipping label through Ebay, you get $100 insurance coverage for Priority Mail.
Old 01-25-22, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
Did you buy insurance?

the thing is you're not losing just $1.70. You're losing $1.70 per transaction over $50. If you pay more for insurance on packages then you are receiving from payments from insurance claims, then you are losing out in the end. $1.70 is a lot for insurance for a $100 or less item. If you ship a lot, go to Pirateship. You can generate your post there and insurance is only 80 cents per $100 of coverage. Filing claims is easier there too. You just email them the tracking number, an invoice, and a few pictures. They take care of the rest.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.