Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

2019 eBay Rants

Old 05-03-19, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

2019 eBay Rants

Since we already have 50K eBay threads, time for a 2019 one.

I purchased an older AMD CPU on 4/29 - with a "Guaranteed Delivery" date of 05/02.

It's now late afternoon on the 3rd, and the CPU is still in Iowa. When I went to see what happens when a "Guaranteed Delivery" is missed:

If the item you bought with Guaranteed Delivery doesnít arrive on time, weíll make it right.

Next, select an option to let us know how we can make it right for you. You may be able to:

Receive a voucher that you can use on a future eBay purchase (if shipping was free).
Get a refund for the shipping cost (if you paid for shipping).
Return the item for free and get a full refund if the listing offers returns.
Let the seller know that you didnít receive your item.

My options are apparently limited to:

There's still time before your item should be delivered. If you don't have your item by the guaranteed delivery date you can try again.

WTH - can they travel so fast that they exceed the speed of light, go back in time, and deliver it yesterday?

tl;dr version: Guaranteed delivery on 5/02 was missed (it's now the 3rd), yet eBay still believes it can be delivered on time.
Old 05-03-19, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: 2019 eBay Rants

Many of eBay's menu options purposely limit choices by users. The return selection is also very limiting.
Old 05-03-19, 05:36 PM

There are far too many rants that I have with Ebay that it makes using the service untenable, either as a buyer OR a seller. So, good riddance to bad rubbish. Or, another one bites the dust due to interminable and egregious greed. Most of my rants have to do with Paypal and its outrageous fees, which amount to something like 20% of the selling price for low-priced items now. The latest May 2019 updates, are the proverbial straw -- fees going up, with things being forced upon you -- as a buyer as well, that protect Ebay and NOT you.

With ebay, you have scammers and scalpers trying to outdo each other, and it's all being run by a scammer and greedy company! So, how does the average person who just wants to find a good deal, ala a gargage sale, fare? Not very well, indeed. Ebay's totally, 100% lost track of its humble beginnings. It was so fun to use 20 years ago, like going to that fabled garage sale in days of old.

So, bye, bye Ebay and may your con-game end soon. Nobody else is able to take them on (ie, compete) so they will always stay big and corrupt. Sadly.
Old 05-05-19, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

eBay is likely planning to block Paypal altogether in 2020. They've been making noise about their own payment interface as a replacement for sellers.
Old 05-05-19, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
eBay is likely planning to block Paypal altogether in 2020. They've been making noise about their own payment interface as a replacement for sellers.
That would definitely cause me to rant.
Old 05-05-19, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yup. They want that inflated revenue. Thatís a hot trend in e-commerce. Holding onto money, even when they are not profiting on that cash flow. It is superficial but excites Wall Street.
Old 05-05-19, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

eBay quietly raises seller fees in June by 4% for half their sellers. Basically if you are ďbelow averageĒ in returns, you get penalized 4%. So half of eBay sellers will be paying 14% instead of 10%.
Old 05-05-19, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They are entering predatory territory with their changes. They will squeeze a lot of sellers out of business. Thatís for better or worse. Nobody knows.
Old 05-05-19, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
They are entering predatory territory with their changes. They will squeeze a lot of sellers out of business. Thatís for better or worse. Nobody knows.
I thought you were done with Ebay for this reason? You know as well as I that it's just going to get worse and worse. So quit now while you still can!
Old 05-05-19, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
I thought you were done with Ebay for this reason? You know as well as I that it's just going to get worse and worse. So quit now while you still can!
Eh. Glad you remember my posts. I did go back. I treat them as a throw-away channel. My whole business shifted over the past few years. Itís complicated. But yes I went back. And I treat them like the dogs they are. They are a dirtbag company and do not deserve your trust. We donít trust them with our data.

I did leave eave an experiment with driving out sales elsewhere. But we still get a 30% boost and it is hard to turn down.
Old 05-05-19, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

FYI I had 8 of 507 returns in 90 days. And because of that, I am being charged 4% extra. Iíll eat it this month. But Iíll do the math and see if it is worth the minimal profits to sell on there. Those Neanderthals forget that most businesses operated on 10% markups. Dumb Silicon Valley dispshits.

Im even working on an evil plan to hurt them (within my product category ... Business and Industrial). Check back in a year or two.
Old 05-05-19, 11:17 PM

i dumped ebay !! they can stick that global shipping program of thiers up their ass.
Old 05-06-19, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old news but can they allow other payment methods besides paypal?
Old 05-06-19, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I read yesterday that Ebay's motto should be "if it aint broke, we'll fix it until it is!" And that's the crap they did with their shipping label change. I notice last night that you can no longer use classic label printing which was much easier.

On top of that, they won't let you put an end date on Fixed Price listings. This is asinine. My listings stay out there forever until I finally just have to cancel them.

Then there is paypal keeping their fee even after you give a buyer a complete refund and the US postal service jacking up their prices to ridiculous levels.
Old 05-06-19, 07:44 PM

I stopped using eBay years ago. It seemed like it was throwing buyers and sellers to the wolves by providing the shittiest of services and trying to accept as little liability in it all as possible. All while making a tidy profit. I only buy from Amazon now, and 99.9% of those times its directly from Amazon. Far too many chances for problems with private sellers affiliated with them. I don't care if they have 100% ratings, at least with Amazon I know if I have a problem it will get resolved fast and proper all round.
Old 05-07-19, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
I read yesterday that Ebay's motto should be "if it aint broke, we'll fix it until it is!" And that's the crap they did with their shipping label change. I notice last night that you can no longer use classic label printing which was much easier.

On top of that, they won't let you put an end date on Fixed Price listings. This is asinine. My listings stay out there forever until I finally just have to cancel them.

Then there is paypal keeping their fee even after you give a buyer a complete refund and the US postal service jacking up their prices to ridiculous levels.
Are you a regular seller on there? I post over on ecommercebytes.com sometimes. I don't run into many fellow sellers (part time or full time).
Old 05-07-19, 10:11 AM

I remember when Paypal first hit the scene and with their slogan "Free and always will be"...that didn't last.
Old 05-07-19, 11:36 AM

Increase in fees suck - I feel like sometimes I'm getting crushed in fees when all I have been selling recently have been Blu rays and they haven't been anything crazy priced.

I've recently had a spike in people who win the auctions or Buy It Now and then ask a million questions after the fact (that most are in the listing)
Old 05-12-19, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

eBay is likely planning to block Paypal altogether in 2020.
They struck an agreement last year that will keep PayPal as a payment option on eBay through 2023: https://www.ebayinc.com/stories/news...nts-agreement/

eBay quietly raises seller fees in June by 4% for half their sellers. Basically if you are ďbelow averageĒ in returns, you get penalized 4%. So half of eBay sellers will be paying 14% instead of 10%.
Are you sure? I only see that sellers who are "Below Standard" will be charged the extra 4%, and it's been in effect since last year. Below Standard ≠ Below Average, and definitely does not equal 50% of sellers.

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
Old news but can they allow other payment methods besides paypal?
Yes, if you have your own merchant account and payment gateway, you can accept payments that way: https://www.ebay.com.my/pages/help/p...ts-policy.html

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
You can put durations on Fixed Price listings. The option is just hidden in their simplified interface, or in certain listing platforms like the mobile app, I think.
Old 05-12-19, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes I am sure. Itís a new policy that begins in either May or June. It has nothing to do with being Below Standard. I am Top Rated and being penalized for having a 1.84% return rate. Which is incredibly admirable for my place in thrift. Plus I accept returns at my expense, auto approved, for 60 days.

Fuck you ebay. You are predators.

Here is a link explaining it more. https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blo...556761962.html
Old 05-12-19, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Also you linked to ebays Malaysian website above with expired info. eBay no longer accepts merchant account credentials. Though they do have ebay Managed Payments now. Most have avoided it because itís unclear if you can accept both PayPal and Managed Payments at the same time

Their pilot program for Managed Payments was disastrous for most sellers as buyers didnít understand why they couldnít use PayPal to pay. So their sales were crippled after opting in. Oops.
Old 05-15-19, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes I am sure. Itís a new policy that begins in either May or June. It has nothing to do with being Below Standard.
OK, it's not a new policy. The policy was originally implemented in Oct. 2018. And aside from Below Standard users, it's also being charged to sellers with "very high rates of Item Not As Described" returns, which apparently is what's being applied to you. Here's the article when it was first implemented:

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blo...537233997.html

As per the article you linked, the only change in that policy, effective June 20, is a hike in the penalty from 4% to 5%.

Also you linked to ebays Malaysian website above with expired info. eBay no longer accepts merchant account credentials.

You're right, that was Malayasia, but the US policy page is still the same:
https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/p...policy?id=4269

I just did a merchant page checkout last month, so that's still in effect.

Though they do have ebay Managed Payments now. Most have avoided it because itís unclear if you can accept both PayPal and Managed Payments at the same time
As for Managed Payments, you're right, it didn't allow pilot program sellers to accept PayPal anymore once enrolled. However, it appears that they have finally added PayPal capability to Managed Payments as of last month (though perhaps not with universal availability):
https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blo...554784669.html
Old 05-19-19, 07:09 PM

So there was an laserdisc item up for auction that I was interested in on Ebay but wanted to clarify the condition of the case before purchase as his picture is not very clear and his description is confusing as in one part he describes it as watch and in another paragraph says it is still shrinkwrapped.

So this is the description in his list:

"THIS AUCTION IS ONLY FOR THE THREE "###########" FILMS SEEN IN THE PHOTO!

I AM SELLING ALL OF MY CLASSIC ######## & ########### LASERDISCS! (SEE OTHER AUCTIONS)...

Both ################ and the two-laserdisc set with ######################## and ######################## were used for research on a couple of projects and not played very often. ################## is still shrink-wrapped, while the 2-LD set is not, as it has a gatefold cover. These are Universal's "Encore Editions."

You can see these two items in column 2, row 3 and in column 3, row 4.
Winner must confirm winning bid by e-mail within three days of the close of the auction, and please enclose your mailing address in that e-mail. I must receive payment within two weeks of end of auction. U. S. winner to pay by Paypal, check,MasterCard/Visa.

INTERNATIONAL BIDDERS: Please contact me first for postage rates."

So I send him a message and tell him I was interested in the item and could let me know if there was any damage, dings, tears to the laserdisc case as I mainly wanted the item just to use it for display.

This is the response I get from him:

"Please read my auction. It is NOT sealed. I clearly state that the shrink-wrap is still on, but that it has been watched a few times. There are two microscopic dings in two corners because the shrink wrap pulls the corners slightly. Please don't bid if you're looking for PERFECTION. 99% of anyone interested in this title would love this, but I think you are looking for something that might not even exist unless it's sealed. And even then, you're apparently looking for better than that. THIS IS NOT SEALED!"

Amazing!! For someone that wants to sell something at auction and get the highest price for it to act like an ass with a response this. If he had just simply described the product in a resonse, I still would have liekly bid on it. But with the demeanure of his response, I will no longer consider bidding on this item or any other from him. He clearly doesn't know what the term 'shrinkwrapped" means either.
Old 05-19-19, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Alright. I decided to sell something for the first time in a decade and of course shit went south. I think the buyer is fucking scamming me so thought I'd toss it up here for advice.

I was selling a Star Wars: Episode 1 Electronic Chess set listed as new. It's been in storage since about the time it came out. Buyer admited he already bought one from another seller and returned it because it was missing rubber feet(red flag). Buyer ASKED me to open the item to make sure the feet were intact(red flag 2). Fine. It wasn't taped/sealed so I took a photo and shot it to him. Buyer bought item shortly after.

So here we are, tomorrow marks 30 days since the purchase (said he was out of town until just now) and I get a return request because the inner cardboard is damaged. I'm almost positive it didn't look like this when I opened it up. Of course I didn't take a pick of the freaking inner cardboard.

He also mentioned instructions missing which I don't recall seeing. So that may be accurate.

So it cost me $26 in shipping (ebay rate was only $14 for some reason, my wife handled shipping so I just went with the extra $12) so I got fucked once already. A full return means I pay return shipping as well. Double fucked.

Since shipping is included in the refund, I'd be out the $26. So do I eat the return shipping too? Or let this fucker just have the item? I mean it seems like he's scamming me to put together his own set for free. However, he does have 100% feedback (buying & selling) dating back to '98.

Fuck.
Old 05-20-19, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

People still buy stuff at Ebay?

I do occasionally but the boom period of the early 2000's is over.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.