Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

2019 eBay Rants

Old 05-20-19, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: 2019 eBay Rants

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Since shipping is included in the refund, I'd be out the $26. So do I eat the return shipping too? Or let this fucker just have the item? I mean it seems like he's scamming me to put together his own set for free. However, he does have 100% feedback (buying & selling) dating back to '98.

Fuck.
Sounds like this guy is picky and only looking for a mint condition item, I'd offer him a discount on the item.

Anything I put on eBay: under promise on condition (my version of mint and the buyers are probably not the same), I take a lot of pics, and do not offer returns (I have accepted them when there was overwhelming evidence like if something got damaged by post office, etc.)
Old 05-20-19, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A good rule: selling ona personal level, or selling thrift is very complicated. Unless you can afford to eat the losses, just go sell the item to your local pawn shop. They will pay around 30% of the average sold cost. And you walk away with cash in hand.

When it comes to customer service, fuck your dignity. I would probably blow some customers if it meant they wonít leave negative feedback ... or even take it to my Google business page.
Old 05-20-19, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I offered him half back. We'll see how that goes.

If he doesn't take that, I guess the fucker gets a free item cause I really don't want it back for $20 more in shipping costs.

Anyone live near Weed, CA? Free chess set!
Old 05-21-19, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Alright. I decided to sell something for the first time in a decade and of course shit went south. I think the buyer is fucking scamming me so thought I'd toss it up here for advice.

I was selling a Star Wars: Episode 1 Electronic Chess set listed as new. It's been in storage since about the time it came out. Buyer admited he already bought one from another seller and returned it because it was missing rubber feet(red flag). Buyer ASKED me to open the item to make sure the feet were intact(red flag 2). Fine. It wasn't taped/sealed so I took a photo and shot it to him. Buyer bought item shortly after.

So here we are, tomorrow marks 30 days since the purchase (said he was out of town until just now) and I get a return request because the inner cardboard is damaged. I'm almost positive it didn't look like this when I opened it up. Of course I didn't take a pick of the freaking inner cardboard.

He also mentioned instructions missing which I don't recall seeing. So that may be accurate.

So it cost me $26 in shipping (ebay rate was only $14 for some reason, my wife handled shipping so I just went with the extra $12) so I got fucked once already. A full return means I pay return shipping as well. Double fucked.

Since shipping is included in the refund, I'd be out the $26. So do I eat the return shipping too? Or let this fucker just have the item? I mean it seems like he's scamming me to put together his own set for free. However, he does have 100% feedback (buying & selling) dating back to '98.

Fuck.
Sometimes "buyers" will pull this stunt to try and get a free item, expecting the seller to refund the cost of the item rather than want to incur the cost of having the item shipped back to them.

I had this one buyer pull this stunt. this buyer was actually a reseller herself. She bought my item, then the day it was delivered listed the same item on her account for a much higher price and sold it. A few days later she filed "a not as described" case on me even though the item was as described. I asked for pictures of the "damage" to the item she claimed. She refused to send any pictures, claiming every excuse in the book from having a broken leg to a death in the immediate family. I checked completed sales for that item and saw that she resold the exact same item I sold to her. I called Ebay and they refused to do anything. The buyer said "Just give me a partial refund and I'll be fine. Wouldmn't you rather just give a 50% refund rather than have to pay shipping to get a broken item back to you?" I ignored her and just authorized a shipping label for her to send it back, knowing that she couldn't since she didn't have the item anymore. Never heard from her again and the return window closed. I very quickly blocked her from buying anything else from me.
Old 05-21-19, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
eBay is likely planning to block Paypal altogether in 2020. They've been making noise about their own payment interface as a replacement for sellers.
I encountered this the other day. They didn't take paypal. So I didn't buy it.
Old 05-21-19, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, buyer responded to my half off offer wanting more than half. "I don't want this item in this condition but... I'll keep it for x.xx) Oh you will, will you? How generous. Fuckwad. It was a brand new item. I just gave it to him and proceeded to delete the other couple items I had on ebay. So working out the math, I made less than $4 on a $60 item. Probably less than that after ebay and paypal fees.

I'll just stick to Facebook Marketplace and LetGo.
Old 05-22-19, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Never ever sell anything to anyone asking very particular questions about the condition of an item. If it's a simple question like "are there any creases in the cover?" (a book in this example), fine. But if they are asking about every little bit of it, they are likely not going to be satisfied with the condition once it arrives. Years ago, I was selling some old GBA games I had including the box and instructions. One guy asked a ton of questions, and I answered them all honestly. When it arrived he found some additional crease and claimed I was intentionally misleading him. Like it's a fucking $20 game. I wasn't selling a copy of Action Comics #1!

So if anyone messages you with too many questions, don't sell to them. Block them!
Old 05-22-19, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JoeyOhhhh View Post
Sounds like this guy is picky and only looking for a mint condition item, I'd offer him a discount on the item.

Anything I put on eBay: under promise on condition (my version of mint and the buyers are probably not the same), I take a lot of pics, and do not offer returns (I have accepted them when there was overwhelming evidence like if something got damaged by post office, etc.)
I never use official terms like "mint" or even "good" or "fine" (which are used in comic grading) unless I can back it up. I tend to use more colloquial language like "fantastic condition" to avoid any confusion.
Old 05-22-19, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by ben12 View Post
I never use official terms like "mint" or even "good" or "fine" (which are used in comic grading) unless I can back it up. I tend to use more colloquial language like "fantastic condition" to avoid any confusion.
I try to also, but when I list on eBay some items you are specifically asked about condition (I don't know if this is a function of the eBay app specifically or not).

Not a rant, but I do enjoy when I put up an auction and I have people message me offering to buy it immediately for some random price, as if to play up on being naive to the value of the items I put up.
Old 05-22-19, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Facebook Marketplace is incredible. We have a 2008 Saturn Vue with a shot transmission in it. Advertised it as that. The rest of the car was in really good shape; I was sorry to let it go but 3K+ to do a transmission for a car with 162,000 was just too much.

Put the ad on Saturday night at 9:00 PM sold by the next day by noon. I though we would have to scrap it. 70 people wanted to come see it!!! Now I know we let it go too cheap
Old 05-22-19, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
Sometimes "buyers" will pull this stunt to try and get a free item, expecting the seller to refund the cost of the item rather than want to incur the cost of having the item shipped back to them.

I had this one buyer pull this stunt. this buyer was actually a reseller herself. She bought my item, then the day it was delivered listed the same item on her account for a much higher price and sold it. A few days later she filed "a not as described" case on me even though the item was as described. I asked for pictures of the "damage" to the item she claimed. She refused to send any pictures, claiming every excuse in the book from having a broken leg to a death in the immediate family. I checked completed sales for that item and saw that she resold the exact same item I sold to her. I called Ebay and they refused to do anything. The buyer said "Just give me a partial refund and I'll be fine. Wouldmn't you rather just give a 50% refund rather than have to pay shipping to get a broken item back to you?" I ignored her and just authorized a shipping label for her to send it back, knowing that she couldn't since she didn't have the item anymore. Never heard from her again and the return window closed. I very quickly blocked her from buying anything else from me.
I had a buyer do something similar to me years ago. Sold him a PS4 game and he filed a claim that the game would not work. He sent me back a package with tracking and Ebay immediately gave his payment back to them out of my paypal once the tracking show delivered. I opened the package and was infuriated to see that this prick sent me a wad of newspaper and nothing else. I contacted Ebay with pictures and surprisely, they reversed their decision and gave me the money back.
Old 05-22-19, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
Facebook Marketplace is incredible. We have a 2008 Saturn Vue with a shot transmission in it. Advertised it as that. The rest of the car was in really good shape; I was sorry to let it go but 3K+ to do a transmission for a car with 162,000 was just too much.

Put the ad on Saturday night at 9:00 PM sold by the next day by noon. I though we would have to scrap it. 70 people wanted to come see it!!! Now I know we let it go too cheap
Just curious how much you sold it for?
Old 05-22-19, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JoeyOhhhh View Post

I never sell anything as mint anymore. Had bad experience. It's always possible that I missed something or that the buyer intentionally damaged the item. Either way you're fucked. Better to just say in good condition if it looks mint, imo.

Although i haven't sold on eBay in years.
Old 05-22-19, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
People still buy stuff at Ebay?

I do occasionally but the boom period of the early 2000's is over.
Well, there ya go
Old 05-22-19, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

So if anyone messages you with too many questions, don't sell to them. Block them!
Good advice, but doubtful I'll bother with ebay again.
Old 05-23-19, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've had around 75k transactions since 1999.

This is so true! Sometimes after a few questions I'll just stop responding, hoping they go away. Though I don't like to block users. Once too many questions are asked, the likelihood of them being a satisfied customer is very slim.

I also have a lot of buyers harass me with low "Best Offers". I just keep declining after awhile. I had a guy last year OBSESSED with buying a $12 wrench from me for $5. It's like, "dude, go away"! It became a joke at the office for awhile.

I've also had people over the years buy a part (ie an air conditioner part for $20) and expect me to guide them on how to install it. And then they find out it's NC instead of NO, or 24V instead of 120V, and they don't understand why it won't work.
Old 05-25-19, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
I've had around 75k transactions since 1999.

This is so true! Sometimes after a few questions I'll just stop responding, hoping they go away. Though I don't like to block users. Once too many questions are asked, the likelihood of them being a satisfied customer is very slim.

I also have a lot of buyers harass me with low "Best Offers". I just keep declining after awhile. I had a guy last year OBSESSED with buying a $12 wrench from me for $5. It's like, "dude, go away"! It became a joke at the office for awhile.

I've also had people over the years buy a part (ie an air conditioner part for $20) and expect me to guide them on how to install it. And then they find out it's NC instead of NO, or 24V instead of 120V, and they don't understand why it won't work.
I've had some send me really ridiculous messages to try and get an item for cheaper. I once had a collectible autographed item listed for $400. So one day I get this message from some woman wanting to buy it:
'Hi, This item is really beautiful!! I'd love to get it for my niece as she's been having a terrible time lately and this would just cheer her up. 3 years ago when she was just 12 years old she was diagnosed with luekemia and has suffered tremendously since then. She was in remission for the past year, but just two weeks ago we discovered it came back and she has been bedridden ever since. I think if my niece had this on her wall in her bedroom and could look at it everytime she wakes up or goes to sleep would help her immensely in her fight against this dreadful disease. Could you possibly see it in your heart to sell it to me for $20. I wish I could afford more but my husband just got laid of of his job and our 14 year old cat just got diagnosed with diabeities and the prescriptions for her are very expensive as we don't have pet insurance. On top of all that our refigerator just went out and our washer machine is not too far behind. Please let me know if you can do this for us and GOD BLESS!!"
Old 05-25-19, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Nice sob story. I'd offer a $20 discount for the effort.
Old 05-26-19, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
I've had some send me really ridiculous messages to try and get an item for cheaper. I once had a collectible autographed item listed for $400. So one day I get this message from some woman wanting to buy it:
'Hi, This item is really beautiful!! I'd love to get it for my niece as she's been having a terrible time lately and this would just cheer her up. 3 years ago when she was just 12 years old she was diagnosed with luekemia and has suffered tremendously since then. She was in remission for the past year, but just two weeks ago we discovered it came back and she has been bedridden ever since. I think if my niece had this on her wall in her bedroom and could look at it everytime she wakes up or goes to sleep would help her immensely in her fight against this dreadful disease. Could you possibly see it in your heart to sell it to me for $20. I wish I could afford more but my husband just got laid of of his job and our 14 year old cat just got diagnosed with diabeities and the prescriptions for her are very expensive as we don't have pet insurance. On top of all that our refigerator just went out and our washer machine is not too far behind. Please let me know if you can do this for us and GOD BLESS!!"
"Cool story, bro. Tell you what - I'll let you have it for the special price of $450."

Last edited by Kmical; 05-26-19 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-27-19, 12:13 PM

My ebay rant for the day...I had listed a Samsung fridge water filter in my store there and it had been listed there for a week and then eBay took it down last night due to "trademark" violation. When I did a search on that item, turns out lots of other sellers still have theirs up. When shit like this happens i can't help but wonder if I was singled out by an asshole who is selling the same item?
Old 05-27-19, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
My ebay rant for the day...I had listed a Samsung fridge water filter in my store there and it had been listed there for a week and then eBay took it down last night due to "trademark" violation. When I did a search on that item, turns out lots of other sellers still have theirs up. When shit like this happens i can't help but wonder if I was singled out by an asshole who is selling the same item?
Yup. Velcro is one who bothers eBay too. If you say Velcro in your title, itíll eventually get taken down. Apparently the Velcro empire takes care of their identity.
Old 05-27-19, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

eBay is a lot better deal for buyers than sellers these days. It's not like the old days. I still actively buy things from eBay quite commonly, but I can see that it's tougher than ever for sellers.

There are many active scammers buying on eBay.
Old 05-27-19, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post

Yup. Velcro is one who bothers eBay too. If you say Velcro in your title, itíll eventually get taken down. Apparently the Velcro empire takes care of their identity.

Old 05-27-19, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I set ebay to auto-decline ridiculous low ball offers so that I never have to see them.
Old 05-28-19, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
I set ebay to auto-decline ridiculous low ball offers so that I never have to see them.
I never auto set them myself just so i can see what is out there. I once had an item listed for $899 with the "make the offer" in the listing. I get some guy that offeres me the lowball amount of $100. I thought it was an insultingly low offer, so i sent him back an offer of $849 just to let him know his offer was nowhere in the ballpark of what I would accept. He accepted the offer and paid right away. Now if he countered at $105, then I would refuse after the second offer. I have one guy that keeps sending me an offer for an item that is listed at $400. Every 3-5 months he'll send an offer between $100-$125 even though the first 2 times he's done this I've always countered at $299. I just reject his right away now.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.