Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

1-800-Got-Junk ?

Old 05-02-19, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

1-800-Got-Junk ?

Has anyone used their services?

Why no mention of prices on their website?

I have a lot of older electronics I want to get rid of so how much would 100 dollars remove?

I probably will call them next week but would like to know prices before I call them.
Old 05-02-19, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: 1-800-Got-Junk ?

How can you know prices without asking?
Old 05-02-19, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It sounds like a scam or they are hiding something if they can't give a price on their website.
Old 05-02-19, 09:39 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

It's probably because pricing is competitive to the local market, and fluctuates because of competition and demand at any given time. Also, it's easier for them to convince you over the phone vs. an email or chat window.
Old 05-02-19, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
It sounds like a scam or they are hiding something if they can't give a price on their website.
It's not a scam. This company has been around for a long time.

We used them once last summer. I don't recall the pricing but the service was good. Just pointed out all the things we wanted gone (some was in the basement; other stuff was in an outdoor shed) and they took it all. Boxes/trash, old lumber previous owners left; really old lawnmower the previous owners didn't want to get rid of; even a bunch of tree branches I cut and didn't want to break down.
Old 05-02-19, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I feel junk removal would be hard to price without knowing exactly what's being removed. Don't expect to get much done for $100 though.
Old 05-02-19, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've never used them but have heard of them for a long time. But a lot of people will pick it up for free. Then they salvage it. Especially any kind of metal. I had a guy and his family pull up one time (via Craigslist, free pickup ad) with his whole family. They have a space at a flea market and they resell it, or salvage it if it can't sell.
I wouldn't be surprised if 800 JUNK picked up some stuff for free too.

Anything I don't think I can sell, I'll post on Craigslist for free pickup. I posted 2 pieces of a sectional once. Wife didn't think anyone would want, but a week later someone wanted it. Any kind of metal the salvagers will come and pick it up. I think they go out every day and pick up shit. Usually by the time they get to my area they have a full truck / trailer full of shit.
The one thing I couldn't give away was a 32" tube TV that weighed a ton.
Old 05-02-19, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Do you not have E-waste recycling events near you? Here in CA there's like one every weekend. Yes, you have to bring it to them, but it's free.
Old 05-02-19, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, we have E-waste events here all the time. Plus our city picks up any junk we leave at the curb (other than construction related stuff like drywall) for free, we just have to give them a few days advance notice of what we are leaving out for them to pick up, so I guess we're lucky that way.
Old 05-02-19, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If it's working electronics, donate to Goodwill or other thrift store. Or put it on Craigslist in the Free section. Non-working electronics I usually take to the recycling center run by the city/county dump.
Old 05-02-19, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
I have a lot of older electronics I want to get rid of so how much would 100 dollars remove?
What exactly is "a lot?"

Some might think 5 VCRs is a lot. Then there's Alan's version of a lot.
Old 05-02-19, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I used them to get rid of an old rear projection tv a few years ago. It was more expensive than I expected, about $150 to haul away the 48” tv. They also threw in a “recycling” charge for all the hazardous TV parts. I’m not entirely sure that kind of tv had any hazardous parts but I accepted the price anyway. 1. Because I didn’t know for sure and wasn’t about to argue and 2. I’d tried for weeks to get rid of the damn thing without any luck and I was just desperate for it to be gone from my garage.

They’re not a scam but they’re also not super cheap, especially when it comes to large electronics.
Old 05-02-19, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
What exactly is "a lot?"

Some might think 5 VCRs is a lot. Then there's Alan's version of a lot.
Including monitors I am guessing 15-20 items.
Old 05-02-19, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
I used them to get rid of an old rear projection tv a few years ago. It was more expensive than I expected, about $150 to haul away the 48” tv. They also threw in a “recycling” charge for all the hazardous TV parts. I’m not entirely sure that kind of tv had any hazardous parts but I accepted the price anyway. 1. Because I didn’t know for sure and wasn’t about to argue and 2. I’d tried for weeks to get rid of the damn thing without any luck and I was just desperate for it to be gone from my garage.

They’re not a scam but they’re also not super cheap, especially when it comes to large electronics.
What, $150 to get rid of a TV?! That's crazy. I had an RPTV that I had to get rid of and I put it on the curb. Literally within the time it took to go back inside to get the remote to put it with the TV there was a guy in a pickup wanting it. I assume you listed it on Craigslist in the free section? At the very least we could dump it in the city dump. I think for free or a small charge.
Old 05-03-19, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah a couple of the dumps around here have dedicated monitor/tv/e-waste areas. Just have to drive up at a time when they're open (which is often, and decent hours.) If you're commercial, they'll charge you, but it's free for county residents.
I put stuff out by the curb and it's almost always gone in no more than a couple days. Some exceptions - an ancient washer and dryer weren't going anywhere.
Some charities will pick up certain things.
I've gotten rid of some stuff via neighborhood/city Facebook "for sale" groups.
Best Buy takes some electronics for recycling.
That said, some crap has a very small target market. It can't hurt to try a couple of those other ways.
I can totally see a company wanting to see the stuff and where it is before giving a quote on toting it away.
Old 05-03-19, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How many electronics? In Phoenix the scrap metal guys stop by in a heartbeat if you got a truckload for free.

The Got Junk service might pickup for free for that reason. If you need an old sofa trashed they will charge as they will have to dispose. They basically charge for the service and also utilize recycling and Goodwill type places at the same time.

If you have a recycle bin, you can toss a DVD player or whatever in there. It’s not just for paper and plastic.
Old 05-03-19, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

C'mon, man, it's not rocket science. Do NOT pay $150 to some greedy company. Hire a couple of local high school kids to help you out. They get to keep what they take, and help you out by carting off your old stuff. Buy them pizza and (if you're daring enough) beer, and you'll have a lot more money left in your wallet, and have the good fuzzy feeling of keeping things local in your community... Win / win for you and the kids.
Old 05-03-19, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Since we price based on how much space your junk takes up in our truck, it’s much easier to provide an estimate in person. Our crew will arrive onsite to take a look at your junk and provide an exact price.
https://www.1800gotjunk.com/us_en/how-our-pricing-works
Old 05-03-19, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
C'mon, man, it's not rocket science. Do NOT pay $150 to some greedy company. Hire a couple of local high school kids to help you out. They get to keep what they take, and help you out by carting off your old stuff. Buy them pizza and (if you're daring enough) beer, and you'll have a lot more money left in your wallet, and have the good fuzzy feeling of keeping things local in your community... Win / win for you and the kids.
Great advice! Why give money to a big greedy company when you can provide alcohol to minors instead?
Old 05-03-19, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
If he is up for it. I find that kind of thing always ends in disappointment. You get excuses and hour before an appointment. Or it turns into an 8 hour project, when the pros would have been in and out in 1 hour.

I've experienced so much disappointment trying to operate that way. It works out maybe 1 in 10 times. Sometime I blame myself, because I'm too laid back and not a jerk. It's something I never figured out.
Old 05-03-19, 08:30 AM
Admin-Thanos

Paging Alan Smithee.
Old 05-03-19, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Dam I was hoping to sell my old blu-rays and dvds and wipe them off the list.
Old 05-03-19, 09:42 AM

When I first heard about this service, I thought it was pretty much for hoarders and I always thought I don't want to be the kind of person who needs it. But I've heard more, and we can see it in this thread, that it's used for a variety of reasons and that's good. Perhaps that's my own stigma about stuff, junk, and lifestyle. I know some people who escaped growing up in hoarder situations and the notion of having junk or having to get rid of junk is very hard on them because it brings up bad memories.
Old 05-03-19, 12:50 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by story View Post
When I first heard about this service, I thought it was pretty much for hoarders and I always thought I don't want to be the kind of person who needs it. But I've heard more, and we can see it in this thread, that it's used for a variety of reasons and that's good. Perhaps that's my own stigma about stuff, junk, and lifestyle. I know some people who escaped growing up in hoarder situations and the notion of having junk or having to get rid of junk is very hard on them because it brings up bad memories.
Many people feel a sense of liberation when they can declutter effectively. If this service helps them do that, more power to them.
Old 05-03-19, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They are ridiculously expensive. Their whole game is that they come to your house with men and a truck so you figure, what the hell, they are here and can take it right now so I will pay what they charge. It's overpriced to the extreme.

I post on CL and usually get pretty good responses. One thing to keep in mind is that at least around me, dumping is not free so you have to factor that into your cost.

If its electronics, BBY recycles them for free, just drop it off at their store.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.