Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Dashcam Video: Watch Bambi Take On My Kia

Old 04-24-19, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dashcam Video: Watch Bambi Take On My Kia

This just happened tonight on my commute home. I-69, just south of Bloomington, IN

Old 04-24-19, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Dashcam Video: Watch Bambi Take On My Kia

Spoilered because it's a dead deer with guts hanging out...
Spoiler:

Old 04-24-19, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Are u having deer meat Tonite?
Old 04-24-19, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bambi tried to kill me tonight, but he only got my car. The Sorento did what it was supposed to do. It died... I walked away with just a banged-up wrist from the air bag deploying.

The ISP Trooper that responded hung out after the fire trucks and paramedics and ambulance all left while we waited for the tow truck. He was jazzed that I had a dashcam and practically begged me to download the video from the SD Card so he could see it happen. I gave him a copy, which he said he'd attach to the incident report... but I'm pretty confident that he's also showing it to everybody in the Trooper Clubhouse tonight. It -is- kinda cool, just wish it had happened not to me.

Cars can be replaced. I'll be spending most of tomorrow talking with the insurance company and getting loaner wheels set up. I had other plans, oh well.... As least that fucker didn't jump in through the driver's window. Lol.
Old 04-24-19, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
Are u having deer meat Tonite?
Funny you should say that. The Trooper confirmed that if I wanted the carcass, by law it's mine. Explaining, he said that in Indiana if you injure or kill a deer accidentally when driving, the meat is yours if you want it. You have to haul it away yourself, and if you don't want it there's a statewide waiting list... the next dude on that list is getting a call tonight and he has 24h to come get it. If he doesn't, he goes back to the bottom of the list and the carcass will be disposed of by the highway department.
Old 04-24-19, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I ride a motorcycle. The idea of a deer leaping into me when I'm going 60 mph frightens me.

Glad you're okay.
Old 04-24-19, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had always heard you couldnít eat deer meat that had been hit ... something about a gland that ruptures and ruins the meat. Bullshit?

I have a co-worker who had a deer jump through the windshield ... it literally cleared the hood and didnít damage the hood, but the blood and guts were all over the interior of the car (and her) and in the vents/heating/cooling system. The insurance company declared the car totaled due to the biohazard and cost of cleaning that all out.
Old 04-24-19, 11:01 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
I had always heard you couldnít eat deer meat that had been hit ... something about a gland that ruptures and ruins the meat. Bullshit?
If a deer tried to kill me like that, I'd eat it no matter what.
Old 04-24-19, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yikes. Glad you are okay. I lived in Shelbyville for four years and don't think I ever saw a deer. Maybe that Bloomington area is more wooded. Anyway that was scary but cool to catch on dashcam.
I wonder if Tesla Autopilot could have avoided that sort of accident; I doubt it but I have seen dashcam videos of it preventing accidents that humans couldn't have avoided.
Old 04-24-19, 11:13 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I wonder if Tesla Autopilot could have avoided that sort of accident; I doubt it but I have seen dashcam videos of it preventing accidents that humans couldn't have avoided.
Sometimes yes.

And sometimes no

Old 04-24-19, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That is bullshit, but there may be other food safety concerns :

https://www.foodsafetynews.com/2011/...d-food-safety/
Old 04-25-19, 03:52 AM
Needs to check his email

Glad you are OK kenbuzz.

My wife had to commute to Terre Haute from Indianapolis for a year and this is what I was worried about with her early morning drives.
Old 04-25-19, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a co-worker who had a deer jump through the windshield ... it literally cleared the hood and didnít damage the hood, but the blood and guts were all over the interior of the car (and her) and in the vents/heating/cooling system. The insurance company declared the car totaled due to the biohazard and cost of cleaning that all out.
I asked the Trooper about whether roadkill was safe to eat - he said that if the meat wasn't exposed and the bowels hadn't ruptured and injected deer poop into the carcass and if it was relatively fresh - a properly prepared/butchered roadkill deer is perfectly safe to eat.

This time, however, was NOT one of those. I hit the deer doing 75 mph. My Kia weighs a LOT more than a deer, so I imparted a lot of velocity to him after impact. He was severed by the guard rail supports .. see the spoilered photo, there's blood on multiple supports. He hit that really really hard.
Old 04-25-19, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here are two more photos, spoilered for grossness.

This is the deer's heart. It landed well down the road from where his severed body was stopped by the guardrail:
Spoiler:

And this is the view "upstream" from where the heart came to rest looking back at the carcass. You can see the blood trail where the heart went follopping down the shoulder until it came to rest:

Spoiler:

(The dude in the photo is one of the drivers who pulled over, he's helping clear debris from the driving lane - nice guy.)
Old 04-25-19, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
Glad you are OK kenbuzz.

My wife had to commute to Terre Haute from Indianapolis for a year and this is what I was worried about with her early morning drives.
Maybe you -should- be.... this happened just before 6pm. I imagine the deer are much more active in the early morning, and combined with limited visibility due to pre-daylight conditions there's gotta be less reaction time available to avoid one of those stupid fuckers. Once they're determined to kill themselves, though, there's nothing you can do.

One piece of advice.... it's difficult to train yourself to do this, but if a deer ends up in front of your vehicle DON'T swerve to try to avoid it. They're unpredictable enough that swerving is unlikely to increase your chance of avoiding a collision, but swerving dramatically increases the chance of you losing control or striking another vehicle... or dying. Years ago outside of Wheeling WV I spotted a deer standing in the middle of the highway about 1/10th of a mile off. I changed lanes.... he changed lanes... I changed back... the fucker changed back... I swerved right to go around him... I shredded the right side of my car along the guardrail. State Police told me that I didn't have any evidence that there was a deer involved, for all he knew I lost control or was impaired and just hit the guardrail for shits and giggles. Gave me a field sobriety test, which I passed, but declined to file a report since the damage to my vehicle was, in his words, "self-inflicted'. Insurance company was more sympathetic, but since I didn't have any deer meat stuck to my car the claim went on the books as "driver fault" and jacked my rates. Bottom line - it's probably safer and less costlier to just hit the deer than to try to do something superhuman with your car at 70 mph to avoid it.
Old 04-25-19, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn; glad to see you're OK!

I've only had one real run-in with a deer. Luckily it was on a back road so i wasn't go fast enough for that type of damage. He just kinda bounced off my front bumper and kept running. Minor damage to my car.
Old 04-25-19, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Glad you're ok!

I'm a little south of you and drive that same road on occasion. In fact, I saw a deer standing off to the side of the road on Monday night which caused my heart to skip a beat. That incident was well after sunset, but as your video and description shows, these things can happen without warning even during daylight hours.
Old 04-25-19, 09:09 AM
Admin-Thanos

Glad you're ok kenbuzz. Is the dear ok?
Old 04-25-19, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Another glad you're okay. That happened so fast! I saw a deer wandering on a city street near a highway in Indy on a morning commute a few years ago. I saw it dead further down the road on the afternoon commute same day.
Old 04-25-19, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Damn--I'm glad you survived. That's an enlightening video. I'm always am scanning either side of the road for wildlife (or hobos if I'm in town) but that deer was so fast! I hit a moose a few years ago up in Alaska, but I could tell it was going to jump out into the highway and was able to slow down and change lanes. Still hit him, but changing lanes probably saved my life. I think you are very lucky not to have gotten hurt or killed. Sorry about the deer.

I need a dash cam.
Old 04-25-19, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's crazy, glad you're ok. We have deer everywhere in my area, so I'm always scared of shit like this. Only happened to me once though, a deer hit the driver's side of my car, then rolled forward, bashing in the fender, part of the hood and windshield. It scared the hell out of me, since it hit the side of my car I didn't even see it coming.

The part I worry about is stories where the deer bounces off the hood and crashes right through the windshield, decapitating the driver. The craziest story I ever heard was a bear getting hit by a car, it went airborne and crashed into an oncoming car from the opposite direction. It crashed right through the windshield and out the back window, obliterating the driver and passenger behind him.
Old 04-25-19, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
That'll buff out.
Old 04-25-19, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Holy crap!! Glad you escaped mostly unscathed! If ever there were an event that would cause me to soil myself, that would probably be it!
Old 04-25-19, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 04-25-19, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.