Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

What do you know that the general population does not?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-20-19, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I see it on the internet, especially The Chive all the time. Servers, bartenders, doctors, pilots, all tell inside secrets of the trade. The types of customers that suck. Things that people do that make their job harder, etc. I am always fascinated at the little bits of trivia from other occupations or education.

For me:

I used to teach martial arts. Far too many schools promote students to keep them interested, motivate them to do better, or keep the siblings in the same class. In other words they are a commercial enterprise that relies on tuition dollars and failure to promote means they might lose the student. I've seen way too many kids get promoted because they are there with friends and siblings and the whole bunch may quit if they aren't doing it together. I myself was promoted in Jiu Jitsu several ranks above where I should be because the owner needed his instructors to have at least a brown belt. A high rank doesn't mean a talented karateka.

As a side gig I've been a Peace Officer and a Court Deputy for almost two decades. I know how best to not get a ticket in the first place and how to get out of one if they do write you. You have no idea how often a simple warning turns into a ticket because the driver starts getting mouthy.

I spent some time in the hearing aid business. It wasn't for me but I did learn a few things. Hearing aids are expensive. But they are an example of a product that are not expensive to manufacture, You pay for the research and development. They are always improving. Although the cost of technology comes down, the cost of constantly improving goes up.
Old 04-20-19, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: What do you know that the general population does not?

How much time do you have?

I work for a US Customs House brokerage, so I know a lot about international trade, tariffs, duties, US Customs laws and regulations, etc. but most of that would be boring as fuck to the average person. Most people have no idea what I mean when I try to explain what I do for a living. But if someone ever wants to import a commercial shipment into the United States, I could probably answer questions that the average person wouldn't have a clue about, for whatever that's worth.

I'd love to know the best way to get out of a speeding ticket though. I'm always respectful and I think appropriately apologetic (I never act like a self entitled jerk to the police officer, that's for sure) but I still get tickets. (luckily none in the past six or seven years though)
Old 04-20-19, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

My social security number.
Old 04-20-19, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That the general population is generally populated by morons.
Old 04-20-19, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
don't count on it
Old 04-20-19, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've taught people how to juggle, probably 30 or 40 of them. It's been a long time since I have been a member of a juggling club, and I've gotten pretty rusty. I bought my house in 1999, I put my unicycle on a shelf in the garage, and I haven't touched it since.
Old 04-20-19, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
I'd love to know the best way to get out of a speeding ticket though. I'm always respectful and I think appropriately apologetic (I never act like a self entitled jerk to the police officer, that's for sure) but I still get tickets. (luckily none in the past six or seven years though)
This is in NY, so there is some version of this everywhere but YMMV.

Respectful and apologetic are important. Don't be afraid to ask for a break. "Officer I am very sorry. As you will see when you run my license I do not get tickets. I am always very aware but apparently I was not as attentive as I should have been back there. I though the limit was xx. If you would be willing to give me a break I promise I will make the most of it and be more attentive in the future." Any of the people I've worked with will reduce speeds, change to an equipment violation or offer warnings with the right attitude. If you've been drinking and they can smell it you're screwed. Simple speeds and equipment violations aren't difficult.

If you do get written. Plead not guilty and ask for a written deposition from the arresting officer. Often they will forget, not have time, or if you were a cool customer not bother to supply one. Charges dismissed. If one is supplied, ask for a trial. The officer has to show up to court. The same three things may happen in which case charges dismissed. If he shows, talk to the prosecutor about reducing the charges to an equipment violation or failure to obey a traffic control device. It will carry a fine but no points.

Old 04-20-19, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the tips. I do work in WNY close to Buffalo so this definitely helps. Although I can't use the "As you can see I don't get tickets" approach, maybe I could you the "As you can see, I haven't gotten a ticket in seven years" approach instead. I have gotten speeds reduced, especially in Canada, but that's it, never a warning only.
Old 04-20-19, 05:27 PM
Political Exile

At a high school assembly in the auditorium, the guy on stage asked the audience if anyone knew the significance of the number 86,400.

I was the only person in the entire audience who knew that

Spoiler:

that was the number of seconds in a day.

Everyone in the audience was shocked that I knew the answer.

I was shocked that no one else in the audience knew the answer.
Old 04-20-19, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My penis size and annual salary. Although most could guess since this is DVD talk an all...
Old 04-20-19, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
My penis size and annual salary. Although most could guess since this is DVD talk an all...
As a guess, is it that both are greatly exaggerated?
Old 04-20-19, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That 99% of "big business" is a sham and a rigged game, definitely NOT in the citizens' favor.
Old 04-20-19, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

*gasp!*
Old 04-20-19, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
That is also the extent of my insider info.
Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
I have gotten speeds reduced, especially in Canada, but that's it, never a warning only.
The only time I have ever been pulled over, let alone ticketed, in 25 years of driving was about 5-6 years ago on a remote backroad up near Bancroft, which had a limit of 60, unbeknownst to me (There were no signs. I would have guessed 80 on such a road, so within 20 is usually permissible, but not always). I'm generally not an excessive speeder, but it was twilight and we wanted to get where we were going, so I was doing about 95. I saw a cop car coming from the other direction and intuited immediately I was going way too fast and would be pulled over. Anyway, the officer was very nice and polite, and reduced my speed on the paperwork so I didn't receive any demerits, but I still paid more than $200.
The way I see it, if I break the law, I should pay the price, unless the law is unjust, in which case I should fight to change it. Speed limits are not unjust. I don't understand how radar detectors and such things are legal in the States.
Old 04-21-19, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What I look like buck naked.
Old 04-21-19, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know the toxic doses of a lot of different kinds of medications and what you would need to take as an antidote as well.
Old 04-21-19, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I know why you should not mix ammonia and iodine.

If you decide to find out, show us the video.
Old 04-21-19, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How to drill a bowling ball.
Old 04-21-19, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post

Ammonia and bleach is another one. Some of the maintenance products I sell are cleaning supplies. Some people say they just use bleach and windex which is cheap. But bleach has absolutely no soap or detergent in it. It is strictly a sanitizer. A highly corrosive, highly poisonous sanitizer. They think nothing of having an ammonia product like Windex and bleach in the same proximity. Creates a poison gas like mustard gas.

Windex is 95% water, 5% ammonia and a few drops of blue dye.

I can spot concealed weapons easily. You would be surprised at how many people you may run across in the course of a day that are carrying a gun. Just out of habit I look at people's right, then left hip. Unless they spent a lot of money to have their clothes tailored to accept handle sticking out, there will always be a slight bulge as they move. People will also tend to subconsciously pat it, like you do with your phone or your wallet in your pocket.
Old 04-21-19, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
How to drill a bowling ball.
I know a lot of folks who know how to do this but only a rare few that know how to do it right.
Old 04-21-19, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
I know a lot of folks who know how to do this but only a rare few that know how to do it right.
I use to do it in my retail days, I struggled at times, but I got i better with practice. Its not easy.
Old 04-21-19, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
I can spot concealed weapons easily. You would be surprised at how many people you may run across in the course of a day that are carrying a gun. Just out of habit I look at people's right, then left hip. Unless they spent a lot of money to have their clothes tailored to accept handle sticking out, there will always be a slight bulge as they move. People will also tend to subconsciously pat it, like you do with your phone or your wallet in your pocket.
This is true!

Also, all those Police brutality videos that the public gets so enraged over? Those aren’t always excessive force and there’s a reason why police officers’ actions are found to be justified.
Old 04-21-19, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm curious why the jiu jitsu place promoted you to brown belt so you can teach. I can understand the kids/parents/money thing, but if he wanted you to be an instructor wouldn't it have been better if you had just been legit? Or was it a timing thing (like you were skilled enough but you're supposed to spend some minimum amount of time in each level)?

As for the hearing aid thing... cost to manufacture usually has little to do with pricing unless there's a ton of competition and razor thin margins or something. I'm curious what makes hearing aid R&D so unique that it costs so much, as opposed to pricing it high because there's no competition or people are just used to it costing so much?

I thought the key to not getting ticketed is being extremely lucky (officer is in a good mood, officer doesn't have to meet his quota... oh wait, officially there are no quotas, right), or being attractive. It's a key to a lot of things, really: getting better tips as a server, getting promoted in a lot of jobs, etc.
Old 04-21-19, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post

I've done this many times. As long as it's wet, it's perfectly stable. When it dries out, extremely unstable. Fun to play with, though! And it doesn't work well with tincture'd iodine. For best results, you need crystal iodine which, as I found out, is very corrosive.

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
Ammonia and bleach is another one. Some of the maintenance products I sell are cleaning supplies. Some people say they just use bleach and windex which is cheap. But bleach has absolutely no soap or detergent in it. It is strictly a sanitizer. A highly corrosive, highly poisonous sanitizer. They think nothing of having an ammonia product like Windex and bleach in the same proximity. Creates a poison gas like mustard gas.

Windex is 95% water, 5% ammonia and a few drops of blue dye.

Yes, chlorine gas is not fun. We did have to make some, however, just because.
Old 04-21-19, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Best way to not get a ticket: obey traffic laws and don’t get pulled over.

Since we are discussing capitalism ... much like the hearing aid thing, “clean” or renewable energy is not cheap. The fuel source is indeed free, but the infrastructure is costly. “Why does it cost me more to get 100% renewable energy?! That’s a rip off!” It costs more because the business that built the infrastructure is trying to recover its costs as quickly as possible so they can become profitable. Those nasty old coal fired and nuclear plants? They’ve been around and paid for, but you still have maintenance.

On that same note ... I attended a traveling Disney Institute program several years ago and they revealed the deepest, darkest secret about Disney ... something everybody knows but everybody forgets ... they are a for-profit company. (I steal that and use it in my presentations as well.)

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.