Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Parisí Notre Dame Cathedral is on fire 4/15/19

Old 04-17-19, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Parisí Notre Dame Cathedral is on fire 4/15/19

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
I still don't understand why God didn't intervene and put out the fire.
Maybe God started the fire so that we could upgrade to a newer model for him???
Old 04-17-19, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson View Post
Has anyone seen anything specific about historical artifacts/art that have been lost in the fire? I know they said they were trying to save "art" pieces. But I would think there would be countless artifacts all over the church. Engravings, statues, glass, precious metals/jewels, etc. I'm guessing a lot of the contents were as old or older than the church. They probably didn't have everything in the vaults.
Was the fire mainly concentrated on the roof and the upper portions of the buildings? The foundations and at least the outer walls were constructed mostly of stone so they would be less likely to be damaged or be on fire. so it would seem that the majority of the fire and intense heat would have been concentrated on the higher portions of the building and the artwork and artifacts would have been more on the ground floor or underground levels if any. Granted the roof is ancient and an artifact in itself, but it was very old and already in bad shape before the fire. From what I've heard the roofs were badly leaking and have clearly well exceeded their useful life expectancy already. Any renovations before the fire would have avoided replacing the roofs, but not replacing them would seem to continue to cause water damage over time.
Old 04-17-19, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

excerpts
The roof of the cathedral consisted of a stone vault protected by a timber structure above. That made it more resilient than cathedrals with timber ceilings such as York Minster in the UK, which suffered a fire in 1984.

ďAt Notre Dame, the stone vault was so strong that the collapsing trusses did not (generally) punch through it. This meant that the collapsed timber members remained on top of the vault, fueling the fire,Ē Robert Bowles from the Institution of Structural Engineers said in a statement.

Once the fire at Notre Dame had started, there was little to stop it from tearing through the roof. ďFirefighters were facing probably one of the most difficult fires they have ever faced,Ē says [Guillermo] Rein.

Although the stone walls, vault and flying buttresses are not flammable, they may have suffered structural damage from the heat. ďThe masonry may have heated up and expanded, which it can do without collapsing. As the masonry cools down and shrinks it may deform,Ē said Bowles.
https://www.newscientist.com/article...rally-damaged/

It sounds like they will only do an interior investigation once the integrity of the stonework is better known.
Old 04-17-19, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by Kmical View Post
Maybe God started the fire so that we could upgrade to a newer model for him???
Well I mean if there was any conspiracy theory outside of the "terrorist acts" category it would be that the Catholic Church hasn't been viewed in very high regard lately and this Church needed upgrades badly but people weren't donating quite as much to get the work that was needed done because of the stigma of supporting the Church that's been in the news so much lately.. but this kind of brought everyone together and now the money is pouring in. At the end of it all it might turn out to have worked out very well for all involved and maybe only a few things got destroyed/damaged that can't be replaced. Having said all of that.. I can't believe anyone would do this on purpose.
Old 04-17-19, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

has the picture of Jesus in the flames been posted here yet? Lord works in mysterious ways.....
Old 04-17-19, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ubisoft pledges monetary, tech assistance for Notre Dame Cathedral restoration
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...on/3495406002/
Old 04-17-19, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

This shituation is about to get political...
Old 04-17-19, 05:19 PM

This situation will rapidly devolve into a quagmire, political controversity and leveraging affont for certain people, companies, etc. What a nightmare.

You can be sure that our taxes in the US will go up as a result of this terrible event. Somehow, it gives politicians another excuse to do it!
Old 04-17-19, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
You can be sure that our taxes in the US will go up as a result of this terrible event. Somehow, it gives politicians another excuse to do it!
Wow, that opinion. Would you mind citing any examples of when after other historical landmarks in Europe burned, the tax rates in the United States were raised? I donít recall any offhand.
Old 04-17-19, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This situation will rapidly devolve into a quagmire, political controversity and leveraging affont for certain people, companies, etc. What a nightmare.

Yeah, I'm sure the Cathedral fire is the beginning of some apocalyptic shit.
Old 04-17-19, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Decker View Post

Wow, that opinion. Would you mind citing any examples of when after other historical landmarks in Europe burned, the tax rates in the United States were raised? I don’t recall any offhand.
Well obviously I was half-joking, but remember after many catatastrophes like Haiti, Bosnia, Croatia, etc the US government has been quick to send in aide, AKA US taxpayer dollars. Not sure there have ever been any other recent historical landmarks burned except Dresden in WW2, the burning of the Great Exhibition of 1851 hall in England (1935? or 36?), but the burning of Notre Dame is pretty much unprecedented which is what makes it so tragic. As such, we'll be quick to send in "aide" for the rebuilding effort. At taxpayer expense, of course, if only indirectly.
Old 04-17-19, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jpcamb View Post
If this was in the US Trump would be saying repairs are already underway and scaffolding is up!
Not yet. He'd still be blaming the fire on Democrats, abortion doctors, and illegal immigrants.
Old 04-17-19, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well obviously I was half-joking, but remember after many catatastrophes like Haiti, Bosnia, Croatia, etc the US government has been quick to send in aide, AKA US taxpayer dollars. Not sure there have ever been any other recent historical landmarks burned except Dresden in WW2, the burning of the Great Exhibition of 1851 hall in England (1935? or 36?), but the burning of Notre Dame is pretty much unprecedented which is what makes it so tragic. As such, we'll be quick to send in "aide" for the rebuilding effort. At taxpayer expense, of course, if only indirectly.
Of course there was that massive fire in Brazilís 200 year-old Natural History Museum some 7 months ago which was far worse but itís not iconic in the US so everybody kind of forgot about it.
Old 04-17-19, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
Not yet. He'd still be blaming the fire on Democrats, abortion doctors, and illegal immigrants.
Trump has announced he will not support reconstruction of the cathedral. Right now it is perfect ... it is just four walls!
Old 04-18-19, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Decker View Post

Of course there was that massive fire in Brazilís 200 year-old Natural History Museum some 7 months ago which was far worse but itís not iconic in the US so everybody kind of forgot about it.
I must admit my ignorance, and never even heard about that one, so swift must it have made the rounds in the news. Wow, color me surprised, and thanks for so pointing this out!
Old 04-18-19, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like an attempted copycat crime :

Old 04-18-19, 07:40 AM

How can it be a copycat crime if there wasn't an original crime?
Old 04-18-19, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
Looks like an attempted copycat crime :

https://twitter.com/NYPDnews/status/1118712787977555968
I read that he told police that he was only passing through the cathedral because his car ran out of gas. Police later noted that his car was not low on gas.
Old 04-18-19, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
I still don't understand why God didn't intervene and put out the fire.
Someone probably had a faulty battery charger for his tools that shorted out and started the fire. Are you so angry at God that you blame him for a badly made battery charger? At least Christians believe in free will.
Old 04-18-19, 09:05 AM

so it survived 800 yrs,the romans, countless raids, famine, plague, vikings, royal riots, and two world wars, and the unwashed fucks calling themselves yellow jackets ...................only to be destroyed in modern times!!!!!!!!
-a testiment to the fucking dipshittery of 21st century modern man!

but no worries, kids. french officals are reporting "the actual crown jesus wore when he was on the cross has been saved from the fire"..
**-" liar!!! liar!!!! your church is on fire" - jesus
Old 04-18-19, 09:14 AM

Did you just have a stroke?
Old 04-18-19, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
How can it be a copycat crime if there wasn't an original crime?
Old 04-18-19, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

I like how the guy had lighter fluid. Tip: You don’t need lighter fluid to light gasoline on fire.
Old 04-18-19, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My car's almost out of gas and I'm late for the barbecue! I should only need 4 gallons to get the car started.
Old 04-18-19, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I like how the guy had lighter fluid. Tip: You donít need lighter fluid to light gasoline on fire.
It's like people who mix different types of liquor thinking that will somehow up the proof.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.