Reload this Page >

Restaurant Wait Staff That Don't Give Coin Change Back Etiquette

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Restaurant Wait Staff That Don't Give Coin Change Back Etiquette

Old 04-11-19, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Restaurant Wait Staff That Don't Give Coin Change Back Etiquette

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
I abhor carrying change of any kind, and anytime I pay in cash at a restaurant, any change returned gets left on the table with the tip, so this would not bother me.
I agree, I hate coins.
Old 04-11-19, 08:53 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

When I make a purchase I expect to get any change that's owed me, I don't care how much it is, unless I tell them to keep it. His/her tip will be based on the quality of service I receive. Any change they keep without my knowledge or consent will come out of their tip, plus shitty service = shitty tip. I've been places where the waitress should not have been involved with customer service AT ALL, went out of their way to avoid us, did not deserve a tip but got one anyway (because I felt obligated) and I regretted it (never again). And I've been places where the waitress deserved every penny of my tip for service above and beyond.

I would let the establishment know that the treatment you were given was unacceptable and see how they respond. Respond favorably = everything's cool. Respond negatively = never go there again and negative feedback every chance I get (fuck that place).
Old 04-11-19, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Here's part of the issue though.....You don't know weather it is the restaurant that is pocketing the amount rounded up or the server. If it's the restaurant, then this could add up to a lot of extra profit for them. This restaurant was not small and was fully packed with at least 100 customers, so you would be adding an extra profit of 50 cents per customer or $50 per hour in profit to your margins. If it is the restaurant that is profiting and you adjust your tip to being short changed, then the serving is not getting an adequate tip assuming that their service was good.

Also, if someone pays by credit card, the restaurant is going to have to pay 3-5% of that amount to the credit card processors. So customers that pay in cash are already increasing the restaurants bottom line and shouldn't be charged a "fee" for using cash. Tips in cash also seem to be beneficial to servers (ethical considerations asside) because they likely won't claim any or all of that tip as income on their tax returns.

I would also say it can create a negative impression on the restaurant if they short change their customers for whatever reason and they may lose customer or get negative reviews on social media platforms. If the restaurant doesn't like to deal in change, they should adjust their prices so that it will always reflect an even dollar amount. Either that or have adequate amount in your registers to give customer precise change, because you are after all running a business.
Old 04-11-19, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

IDK it its too late to add a poll to this thread but it might be interesting to see if people would not go back because of this or if its a non issue. Seems an even mix of opinions here so far from a quick read of the thread.
Old 04-11-19, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
Here's part of the issue though.....You don't know weather it is the restaurant that is pocketing the amount rounded up or the server. If it's the restaurant, then this could add up to a lot of extra profit for them. This restaurant was not small and was fully packed with at least 100 customers, so you would be adding an extra profit of 50 cents per customer or $50 per hour in profit to your margins. If it is the restaurant that is profiting and you adjust your tip to being short changed, then the serving is not getting an adequate tip assuming that their service was good.

Also, if someone pays by credit card, the restaurant is going to have to pay 3-5% of that amount to the credit card processors. So customers that pay in cash are already increasing the restaurants bottom line and shouldn't be charged a "fee" for using cash. Tips in cash also seem to be beneficial to servers (ethical considerations asside) because they likely won't claim any or all of that tip as income on their tax returns.

I would also say it can create a negative impression on the restaurant if they short change their customers for whatever reason and they may lose customer or get negative reviews on social media platforms. If the restaurant doesn't like to deal in change, they should adjust their prices so that it will always reflect an even dollar amount. Either that or have adequate amount in your registers to give customer precise change, because you are after all running a business.
If the server didn't bring me the correct change, and he's not pocketing that amount and instead letting the business keep it, that's his problem, not mine. It still comes out of his tip, just like I would have left it on the table for him if he had brought it back to me. If the restaurant is low on change or something, and that's why he didn't bring it back, it's not my responsibility to tip him above what I would have otherwise because of that. So again, I wouldn't let it bother me, because I would still be spending the exact same amount that I had intended to.
Old 04-11-19, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So more profits mean they do not have to raise prices? Again, this is a total non-issue for me, I hate coins and feel they should be outright banned. Price to the dollar, adjust quantity if needed.
Old 04-11-19, 09:24 AM

The most surprising part about this story is that half the group paid with cash! Last time I saw somebody pay with cash at a restaurant, there was a record scratch and everybody stopped what they were doing to stare. And that was 10+ years ago!
Old 04-11-19, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon View Post
So more profits mean they do not have to raise prices? Again, this is a total non-issue for me, I hate coins and feel they should be outright banned. Price to the dollar, adjust quantity if needed.
Well my point was that I would think that most business would or should prefer to be paid for their services in cash over credit cards as it would cost them less. This restaurant is fairly large and often packed. Based on what I've what I've seen on the different times of day I have been at this restaurant. I would estimate that they take in an average of $5000 dollors in net sales per day. Most credit card processors charge at least 1.5% fee plus a small fee per transaction. So let's just go by the lowest % fee of 1.5 and ignore the rest of the fees. If a restaurant's sales are $5K a day that would equal $1.825 million in sales per year. if everyone paid by cash instead of credit cards, it would result in an a minimum extra profit of $27,375 to the owner of the restaurant. So charging people a fee for using cash and rounding the bill up would discourage the use of cash and decrease their profits. It could also create a negative impression in the eyes of the customer. When I think about ever going back there again, I would now be thinking that the restaurant or the server is going to steal money from me if I use cash and if I use a credit card, I would now have to worry that the server might alter the tip line on the receipt after I leave and would have to waste my time to check my credit card statement to make sure it wasn't. Didn't someone else just do a thread thinking that he was overcharged on his credit card at a restaurant because of the amount of a hold that was placed on it for a few days until the tip amount was finalized?
Old 04-11-19, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw a server ask the bartender to break a hondo last night while playing pub trivia. Someone was about to make it rain.
Old 04-11-19, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
The most surprising part about this story is that half the group paid with cash! Last time I saw somebody pay with cash at a restaurant, there was a record scratch and everybody stopped what they were doing to stare. And that was 10+ years ago!
I used to always use a credit or a debit card everywhere. The issue with using cards though is that you don't realize how much you are spending on things when you use cards vs cash. You are much more conscience of your spending habits when you use cash and it can help you cut unnecsesary expenses and make you realize what you are wasting some of your money on. I started using cash more often after someone stole my bank debit card number once. I had the bank just issue me a straight debit card without the visa or mastercard on it. It is sometimes inconvenient, but I've noticed I spend a lot less money on stuff and think more about each purchase I make.
Old 04-11-19, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I used to always use a credit or a debit card everywhere. The issue with using cards though is that you don't realize how much you are spending on things when you use cards vs cash. You are much more conscience of your spending habits when you use cash and it can help you cut unnecsesary expenses and make you realize what you are wasting some of your money on. I started using cash more often after someone stole my bank debit card number once. I had the bank just issue me a straight debit card without the visa or mastercard on it. It is sometimes inconvenient, but I've noticed I spend a lot less money on stuff and think more about each purchase I make.
I'm kind of the opposite. If there's cash in my pocket, I will spend it. I think more about my purchases if I know that it's coming directly out of my checking account.
Old 04-11-19, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
I'm kind of the opposite. If there's cash in my pocket, I will spend it. I think more about my purchases if it's coming directly out of my checking account.
Same here. At this point, if I have cash on me I consider it already spent money since it's no longer in my bank account. Makes it easier to blow it on something I don't need.
Old 04-11-19, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm more surprised that people go out to restaurants in groups. I flat our refuse to do it anymore, because of all the drama that always ensues trying to split the check.
Old 04-11-19, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
I'm more surprised that people go out to restaurants in groups. I flat our refuse to do it anymore, because of all the drama that always ensues trying to split the check.
Most restaurants give everyone seperate check for groups now unless it's obvious that it is a family or a couple out on a date. I prefer seperate checks. I rarely drink alcohol when out, and don't order dessert or appetizers where about more than half the others do. I would rather not subsidize others drinks or desserts.
Old 04-11-19, 10:19 AM

Drama? Most places will split it per person now without issue.
Old 04-11-19, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's yet another example of the decline of customer service in our country. The decline seems to be the steepest in the food service industry, but I'm seeing it in all types of businesses.

Think about it...can you even imagine a scenario like this one happening twenty-five years ago? It would have been unthinkable.
Old 04-11-19, 10:46 AM

Are you kidding? 25 years ago most restaurants would have refused to split the check.
Old 04-11-19, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
All that math? He's making change, not doing calculus.

Old 04-11-19, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Your group had 14 people? And you all requested separate checks? Damn. The nerve of some people anyway! If I were your waiter I would have peed in your soup, hacked up a big one in your taco, warmed your taco shell in my underpants. What a bunch of assholes.
Old 04-11-19, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by danwiz View Post
Your group had 14 people? And you all requested separate checks? Damn. The nerve of some people anyway! If I were your waiter I would have peed in your soup, hacked up a big one in your taco, warmed your taco shell in my underpants. What a bunch of assholes.
We didn't ask for separate checks, the waiter brought up separate checks for us. Most restaurants are doing this now. Since many people now pay by credit card, it would seem to be more of an issue to have one check for a group and then have to process 14 different credit cards for different amounts on each card if their system could even do that. I've never worked in the restaurant business, but any retailer I've worked at did not have a system that could process multiple credit or debit cards or forms of payment for a single transaction. The most my old systems could do is allow a mix of cash, gift cards, and/or food stamp cards with a credit card payment. The only requirement was the food stamp card would have to be processed first to pay for the allowable food items, then cash, then gift cards, and then finally a credit/debit card. If we ran the credit card first it would charge the full amount to that card. You could not enter an amount less than the full amount when paying by a credit card. The only time you could use more than one credit card was when the balance of the bill was higher than the amount available n the card. So if the bill was $100 and someone had a $20 Visa gift card (which would be processed as a credit card transaction) it would take the full balance available on that Visa card, Then you could use another credit card on the same bill. But again, it's going to try to take the full remaining balance of the next card that is being processed. So if a restaurant bill was combined and everyone wanted to pay with a card, I don't think it would work because the first credit card that gets swiped is going to be paying the full balance assuming that the funds for the entire bill are available on that account.

Another reason why using cash in this situation should be easier. Separate checks also eliminates the odds in one person in the party sneaking out early and not leaving any money requiring the other members of the group to pay for the bailer(s), which I've seen happen a number of times years ago. I don't know all the people that were in the group as it was a Meetup meeting so some new people could intentionally sign up for these dinner meetups to get a free expensive meal and then never show up at any more meetups with the group.

Don't know why you would consider people to be assholes for only wanting to pay for what they purchased or consumed. If I'm cjecking out at the grocery store and there's people in back of me in line, I don't tell the cashier to ring up all of our groceries together and then take 'x" amount off of mine and "x" amount of of the other people in line.

Last edited by movieguru; 04-11-19 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-11-19, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Since many people now pay by credit card, it would seem to be more of an issue to have one check for a group and then have to process 14 different credit cards for different amounts on each card if their system could even do that.
The one check would be paid by one person (either with ONE card or cash). At least this is how I thought it worked.
Old 04-11-19, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Yup, that's me paying with cash, I bet you're wondering how I got here..."
Old 04-11-19, 02:02 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ultimaton View Post

"Yup, that's me paying with cash, I bet you're wondering how I got here..."
Old 04-11-19, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by danwiz View Post
We didn't ask for separate checks, the waiter brought up separate checks for us. Most restaurants are doing this now. Since many people now pay by credit card, it would seem to be more of an issue to have one check for a group and then have to process 14 different credit cards for different amounts on each card if their system could even do that. I've never worked in the restaurant business, but any retailer I've worked at did not have a system that could process multiple credit or debit cards or forms of payment for a single transaction. The most my old systems could do is allow a mix of cash, gift cards, and/or food stamp cards with a credit card payment. The only requirement was the food stamp card would have to be processed first to pay for the allowable food items, then cash, then gift cards, and then finally a credit/debit card. If we ran the credit card first it would charge the full amount to that card. You could not enter an amount less than the full amount when paying by a credit card. The only time you could use more than one credit card was when the balance of the bill was higher than the amount available n the card. So if the bill was $100 and someone had a $20 Visa gift card (which would be processed as a credit card transaction) it would take the full balance available on that Visa card, Then you could use another credit card on the same bill. But again, it's going to try to take the full remaining balance of the next card that is being processed. So if a restaurant bill was combined and everyone wanted to pay with a card, I don't think it would work because the first credit card that gets swiped is going to be paying the full balance assuming that the funds for the entire bill are available on that account.

Another reason why using cash in this situation should be easier. Separate checks also eliminates the odds in one person in the party sneaking out early and not leaving any money requiring the other members of the group to pay for the bailer(s), which I've seen happen a number of times years ago. I don't know all the people that were in the group as it was a Meetup meeting so some new people could intentionally sign up for these dinner meetups to get a free expensive meal and then never show up at any more meetups with the group.

Don't know why you would consider people to be assholes for only wanting to pay for what they purchased or consumed. If I'm cjecking out at the grocery store and there's people in back of me in line, I don't tell the cashier to ring up all of our groceries together and then take 'x" amount off of mine and "x" amount of of the other people in line.
Old 04-11-19, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just got sucked into a bday party and the restuarnt refused to split the check for a table of 10. So I ended up having to split the cost of everyone else's fancy drinks. Are you guys just eating at Denny's? I see them refusing more often at nicer places. It's pretty common to see on the menu "No split checks for parties over 6 people" in Palm Springs.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.