Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Do you enjoy driving for long car rides?

Old 04-08-19, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Do you enjoy driving for long car rides?

Me personally, I don't mind them when I'm a passenger, but I despise them when I'm driving. Two hours round trip is about all I can handle before I start to get annoyed and hate the drive. Ironically, it seems like the older I get, the less I have any desire to even drive an hour out of the way. I can't really figure out why, but it would be nice to find something that would make the drive bearable.
Old 04-08-19, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Do you enjoy driving for long car rides?

Oh HELL no. Not as a driver or a passenger. That's why I drive 80 mph everywhere, so I can stop driving and be done with it.
Old 04-08-19, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

I have no problem and I routinely do 6 to 12 hour drives. Sometimes the wife takes over.
Old 04-08-19, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I suffer from terrible motion sickness so long drives as a passenger is a no-go for me. Don't mind long drives too much as a driver. I think the furthest I've done in one stretch was Boston to Richmond, VA.
Old 04-08-19, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

God no. I hate driving.
Old 04-08-19, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have no problem driving for long stretches, and driving doesn't stress me out unless traffic is bumper to bumper or I have an annoying passenger (which sometimes my kids qualify as, especially if all 3 of them are in the car). A nice quiet drive is actually quite relaxing for me.
Old 04-08-19, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If there is zero traffic, sure. Otherwise, no way, I'd rather be a passenger on a long drive with a bunch of traffic. It's weird, I'm still in the same car but if I'm not in control of it, I don't stress out at all in bad traffic, I just settle back and relax.
Old 04-08-19, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My dad lives a 16 hour drive from me. I go visit him annually. I like the drive.
Old 04-08-19, 10:26 AM
Reviewer Emeritus

Enjoy? No, but Iíve figured out the right ratio of pit stops per hours driven and the right kinds of audiobooks and/or podcasts to listen to so that the time passes quickly.
Old 04-08-19, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I donít mind driving if itís around town. Where I live traffic is usually pretty light. I also donít mind driving on the highway to places, but I donít really do it very often. I donít like bigger city driving though. I hate having people on me constantly and donít like multiple lanes of traffic.
Old 04-08-19, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As long as I am the driver, I love long trips and actually look forward to them, especially if it's a route or trip I've never taken before. One of the highlights of my trip out west a couple years back was just the hours and hours of driving I was able to get in, through the mountains, desert, and even LA traffic.

As a passenger, I absolutely hate sitting in the backseat, and and even as the front passenger, I tend to get motion sickness after awhile. So the shorter the trip, the better. I also find it very difficult to fall asleep in cars.
Old 04-08-19, 10:44 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

I used to love long drives, as a passenger and driver. Family trips from VA to OH of about 8 hours each way were made dozens of times over my childhood to early adulthood, and are among my favorite memories. Shorter monthly trips to northern MD were great as well.

But once I moved about 8 years ago and created a 3 hour round trip commute to work, I hate long drives. Even a one hour trip to visit family or friends seems painful and something to avoid at all costs.
Old 04-08-19, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't know how I used to do it without cruise control, but I used to go from LA to SF when I was seeing a gal there. But I do enjoy driving.
Old 04-08-19, 10:56 AM
Premium Member

I'm good with anything up to around 6 hours as a driver. I don't particularly care for being a passenger.
Old 04-08-19, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have always enjoyed them. I spent my college spring breaks driving 3,000+ miles to see new parts of the country, and I have probably made the 1,800+ mile round trip from Ohio to Louisiana (over 13 hours each way) at least 50 times now. There are still a number of road trips I want to make, including Banff and the Pacific Northwest. My tailbone and lower back get aggravated much more easily these days, however, so I need to stop and stretch more often than I would like.
Old 04-08-19, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I HATE traffic, but love driving, especially solo long drives. There's a certain freedom of the open road that I like. In my younger days I drove across the country a few times, and these days we make an annual 12 hour drive to see the in-laws. I don't mind that drive, I just wish it wasn't in Kansas and Oklahoma.
Old 04-08-19, 11:35 AM

I don't mind it too much. We make somewhat frequent family trips that are anywhere from 3-6 hours. Depends on how the kids are that can make or break it. With streaming music/audio instead of the radio and books on tape, it's manageable.
Old 04-08-19, 12:13 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't mind long drives, I just wish it didn't take so long to get there. That said, I drove non-stop from NE Ohio down to Arkansas to meet my soon to be wife and I was about to crawl out of my skin by the time I got there, not to mention the drive back home.
Old 04-08-19, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I do a road trip up the coast at least once a year and love having the windows down, spotify up and no real urgency to be anywhere at any time, I only hate long drives when I'm on a tight schedule.
Old 04-08-19, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

We use to live right behind my uncle & aunty's house. And usually 2-3 times a month they use to drive from lower Wailuku to Hana.
My 2 brothers & I would usually be on 2 of those trips. Leave Fri afternoon or late night and leave Hana Sun afternoon or late Sun night.
This was from 1959-1967. Although only maybe a 50 mile trip it was brutal. All curves in that road & back then the road was not very wide
& in good shape. As some one who gets sick just being on a merry go round & get sick as hell. Not sure how that road looks like now since
I left there in 67 & moved to Oahu after my Mom remarried.
Old 04-08-19, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

I love them, as long as Iím in charge of where to go, where to stop and what to play on the radio or CD player. In October I drove to the Grand Canyon, Albuquerque, down to Ciudad JuŠrez in Mexico, then to Austin, Dallas, up to Wichita and back home through Denver and Salt Lake City. Would love to do another trip in other states. Ideally Iíd like to drive to the east coast, get on a boat to Europe then drive all the way across that continent.
Old 04-08-19, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DeanoBKN View Post
As long as I am the driver, I love long trips and actually look forward to them, especially if it's a route or trip I've never taken before. One of the highlights of my trip out west a couple years back was just the hours and hours of driving I was able to get in, through the mountains, desert, and even LA traffic.

As a passenger, I absolutely hate sitting in the backseat, and and even as the front passenger, I tend to get motion sickness after awhile. So the shorter the trip, the better. I also find it very difficult to fall asleep in cars.
This is me pretty much. I think a long cross country road-trip is probably my favorite thing in life -- as long as I'm the one driving, because about an hour in the passenger seat and I'm dying of motion sickness. Thankfully my wife doesn't like to drive at all, and has no problem being a passenger so it works out perfectly for us.
Old 04-08-19, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

There was a time when I didn't mind it, and would drive from Florida to Virginia stopping only to fill-up and hit the head. I would do this several times a year, even if just to spend a night/day/night with relatives up there.

Then we moved to Alaska and I drove 4,700+ miles towing a max-loaded cargo trailer.

Now I dislike long drives.
Old 04-08-19, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Are we there yet?"
Old 04-08-19, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hell no! Anyone who lives in SoCal gridlock madness and enjoys long drives is a masochist in the true sense of the word.

Now, in other, scenic, uncrowded and bucolic areas, maybe. But, only as a passenger, I don't particularly like driving and would rather just be autonomously driven to my destination. Let the unemotional robot car take over that chore-- it can't come soon enough!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.