Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

What is fake check scammer trying to do?

Old 04-04-19, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What is fake check scammer trying to do?

I work in the accounting department for a company and was notified by some individuals that they received a check from us and don't know what it was for. I notified them it was a scam and do not attempt to cash the checks as our positive pay would deny anyway. However, I am trying to figure out what the scammer is attempting to do. What does the scammer gain by sending fake checks in our name especially if the recipient doesn't even know what they are for. If I was to commit check fraud I guess I would like to gain financially so how would they gain financially in this situation?
Old 04-04-19, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: What is fake check scammer trying to do?

Is it possible the recipient was too dumb to notice that the check wasn't made out to them, and was simply mailed to the wrong address?
Old 04-04-19, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No, in both cases the individuals sent me a copy and it was made out to them. It has our company logo and signature of the President here to make it look official but I am confused what the point of all of this is. I did notice the check date was April 1 so maybe an April Fools' joke but are there really people out there willing to commit check fraud for a joke.
Old 04-04-19, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This happened awhile back at my company too. Same thing - client received a check they weren't expecting with our logo and signature on it.

My best guess is that the scammer is expecting the receiver to deposit the check and then they will somehow be able to retrieve the scamees bank account information after the deposit?
Old 04-04-19, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Were the account numbers and routing numbers correct?
Old 04-04-19, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

I wonder if the check came with a letter "If any problems call us at this number... " where they would then ask for the persons bank information to pretend to try to figure out what's going on?
Old 04-04-19, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd be more curious about how some of your checks got out there, and how many more there are.

Some thieves are just dumb. Many years ago, an employee in the finance department at the university stole a whole bundle of a hundred blank payroll checks. You remember what those multi-color, pre-signed, machine-printed paychecks looked like. Well, the soon-to-be-ex-employee had an idiot boyfriend, and he filled out the checks by hand and tried to cash them at local businesses. Local businesses naturally knew what a university paycheck looked like, and every one of them refused. The two of them were arrested within four hours.
Old 04-04-19, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Were the account numbers and routing numbers correct?
Yes, the routing and account number are the same. It definitely is not one of our checks though because the font and color of the checks are way off but they somehow must of received one of our checks at some point to get the banking information and copy the logo and facsimile signature.
Old 04-04-19, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
I wonder if the check came with a letter "If any problems call us at this number... " where they would then ask for the persons bank information to pretend to try to figure out what's going on?
I will have to ask them that. The individuals that received the check contacted us directly but it may have included an incorrect number to call as well.