Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Most impulsive thing you ever bought?

Old 03-31-19, 10:48 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Most impulsive thing you ever bought?

VW Jetta back a long time ago. had a very nice Saturn (when they were till alive). it was fine, still in tip top shape. about 7 years old, but just on a whim, always loved the look, went into dealer in CT, got a navy V6 Jetta. loved that car until it got totalled, but still...

ever make that impulsive, intoxicated or just down right silly big or small purchase for no particular reason on the spur of the moment?
Old 03-31-19, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Most impulsive thing you ever bought?

Pontiac Fiero. I went to the dealer with my brother-in-law so he could get a new car. I saw a red Fiero and liked that it had two speakers in each head rest. I ended up buying it. The clutch went out a few months later and I couldn't afford to fix it at the time. I called the bank and they offer me a voluntary repossession. They ended up selling it for peanuts and wanted me to make up over six thousand dollars difference. I was living paycheck to paycheck and had to file for bankruptcy. It ruined my credit for seven years.
Old 03-31-19, 11:45 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

wow Max, thanks for keeping it light no seriously, that does suck and sorry...
Old 03-31-19, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Cloud Atlas blu-ray
Old 03-31-19, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A Russian bride but I sent her back before the end of the 30 day trial.

Spoiler:
No collusion!
Old 04-01-19, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I just bought a 2016 Audi A4.
Old 04-01-19, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Never a new car!

When I first started dating in my early 30s, I once left a lady's house in a particularly good mood. I stopped at Circuit City to buy a CD wallet so I could bring music to work. I left the store with the wallet and a good computer speaker system. A few hours later I was looking at the box on the floor wondering why I had done that. I ended up taking it to work and using it there. Co-workers borrowed it a few times for presentations, and one time the whole night shift borrowed it to watch DVDs in the break room on an especially slow night.

A few months ago a mystery package arrived from Amazon. A few days before I had gotten up for work much too sleepy, and I had ordered a bargain-priced auto engine belt tensioner tool before I left the house. Then I forgot about it until the box came.
Old 04-01-19, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I went to the mall after an eye exam while my eyes were still dilated, but trying to do a little early Christmas shopping (Nov, I think). I walked by a Gamestop, and a lot of people were gathering around and getting in line. I still couldn't read the price tags on anything I was shopping for, so I just jumped in the Gamestop line to kill some time. Waited for awhile before asking the person ahead of me what we were in line for. He said that they just got a new shipment of the Nintendo Wii. I shrugged and said "OK, sounds good". 20 minutes later I owned a Wii. Spent that evening explaining to my wife why we should keep it, even though neither of us had ever talked about getting one.
Old 04-01-19, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I found a 2003 Jeep rubicon on FB for around 3500 dollars a couple of years back. The axles and T case are worth that much so it was a good deal. About 6 months later I had it up in Maine during a snow storm, blew out both sides of the front axles (bad u-joints) and the throw out bearing or clutch went the same day as we got over 20" of snow and I got stuck in snow. Its sat in my front yard since then... Really need to fix it or sell the damn thing as its just taking up space.
Old 04-01-19, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Bought a bunch of note 9 cases and some screen protectors when I never owned a note 9

I only got them because they were free.
Old 04-01-19, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

^ You don't impulsively buy free stuff, you jusr take it.

I tend to buy stupid impulsive things when I travel. I have no sense on vacation . Also really impulsive at Costco for some reason and buy stuff there all the time I would nener use like motuon sensing lighting systems I could never install and cordless tool sets I will never use.
Old 04-01-19, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

A Nintendo Switch - wasn't really even pining for one, and after all the extra shit I had do buy (games, controller, memory, etc), it was easily a $500 impulse buy.
Old 04-01-19, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I once paid to have a cute top hat by my user name on a discussion board.
Old 04-01-19, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A portable DVD player years ago. It was a Toshiba and cost about $600 at a time when I didn't have $600...probably took me 3 years to pay off. I still have it.
Old 04-01-19, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh yeah, how could I forget : During a Black Friday Lightning Deal sale at Amazon, I bought this :

Old 04-01-19, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My dog, probably. None of my other purchases really have impulses of their own.
Old 04-01-19, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not normally impulsive but when I saw "Tomorrow Never Dies", I went "I want this bike now!" and I went to the BMW dealer and ordered it. I still have it but I tend to keep mine upright.

Old 04-01-19, 06:03 PM
Suspended

I hereby name you SeXcentris.
Old 04-01-19, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by jpcamb View Post
I found a 2003 Jeep rubicon on FB for around 3500 dollars a couple of years back. The axles and T case are worth that much so it was a good deal. About 6 months later I had it up in Maine during a snow storm, blew out both sides of the front axles (bad u-joints) and the throw out bearing or clutch went the same day as we got over 20" of snow and I got stuck in snow. Its sat in my front yard since then... Really need to fix it or sell the damn thing as its just taking up space.
If only Alan had a front yard.
Old 04-02-19, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
I'm not normally impulsive but when I saw "Tomorrow Never Dies", I went "I want this bike now!" and I went to the BMW dealer and ordered it. I still have it but I tend to keep mine upright.

Damn dude that's awesome.

For me an impulse buy is like a candy bar at the register
Old 04-02-19, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For me it's cars. I always get sucked in.

Around 03, I had looked at a couple older BMW convertibles as a toy. $10,000-ish. On an impulse I stopped by the BMW dealer and ended up buying a two year old 3 series for around $25,000. Drove it a few years then sold it to my uncle.

My Trans Am. I had been looking at a few on eBay and around here. One day we saw one advertised where we were going to be making sales calls that day. I went with the guy I worked with and he prodded me along until I bought it. It was overpriced, more than I wanted to spend and an automatic when I wanted a four speed. Still have it though.

This past November. My Expedition. Usually I buy a couple years old, never new. I had a few minutes to kill before my appointment so I swung by the dealer to look at the new Expeditions I had heard so much about. A couple weeks later it was in the driveway.

Last edited by JimRochester; 04-02-19 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-02-19, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

2012 Hyundai Sonata Turbo. Traded in a perfectly fine 2005 Toyota Highlander LTD with maybe 80k miles because I had a bug up my ass about not wanting an SUV anymore and wanting something with a nice touch screen. Tried to go on the cheap. Car was shit in the snow - didn't find that out until the second winter since the first one was pretty mild. I literally couldn't make a turn out of my subdivision doing 10mph on snow without it fishtailing. The big boats I drove with rear wheel drive when I was a teenager were easier to drive in the snow. Also had a shit "premium" audio system - had to replace defective speakers, poor programming when playing contiguous albums - you get what you pay for at 29K for a "high end" Hyundai. Never again. Took the hit and traded it after 18 months to get my 2014 Acura RDX, Love that thing.
Old 04-02-19, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't know why I felt I needed a second car in minnesota, much less a convertible that I could only drive 1/2 the time. Such a love/hate relationship with that car. Sold it for only $10k when I moved to California.
Old 04-02-19, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
Damn dude that's awesome.

For me an impulse buy is like a candy bar at the register
And German engineering was still 8k less than the cheapest Harley piece of crap.
Imagine how many candy bars you can buy with that!
Old 04-04-19, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wish I had enough expendable income that a car would be an "impulse" buy for me...the most impulsive thing I've ever gotten was probably an HD DVD player - I knew that would be an investment that would pay off.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.