Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Anybody successful in turning back prediabetes?

Old 03-28-19, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anybody successful in turning back prediabetes?

A1C:
Normal - <=5.6
Prediabetes - 5.7-6.4
Diabetes - 6.5+

Me: 6.3

Give up processed sugars, eat better, move more, lose weight. Anything else that worked? Oh and no flavored coffee.

Something that's making it harder is that we're trying to grow our family and I'll either be trying to get pregnant, pregnant, or breastfeeding for the next few years and I'm 40 so we can't delay it. Also doing IVF so I'm being pumped full of drugs constantly. So I can't do something like Keto and/or intermittent fasting or HIIT. No supplements either.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 04-01-19 at 12:19 AM.
Old 03-29-19, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Anybody successful in turning back prediabetes?

Metformin
Old 03-29-19, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That just treats it, doesn't reverse it. I was on it and a monitored diet when I had gestational diabetes.
Old 03-29-19, 08:32 AM

Deb, may I suggest a Keto diet? This WOE has worked wonders for me.

It has significantly lowered my blood glucose and cholesterol levels (from 206 to 135 three months into this WOE). MUCH more energy, and mental clarity. Also noticed that my general mood is much better and can handle stress much better. Sounds like a miracle, but this WOE has been life changing. That said, I do follow it strictly, weighing and measuring everything I eat. And enjoying cooking and having the time to cook helps. I do some yoga and very moderate exercise, nothing too intense.

Weight loss - 67 pounds in about 6 1/2 months. (about 30 pounds til goal)

By reading your weight loss journey over the years, I know how committed and determined you can be when you set your mind to something. Be confident in knowing that you can reverse this pre diabetic thing. Good for you for acting on it! I'm pullin' for ya.

edit - I drink "sweet" coffee daily! Stevia and unsweetened almond milk are your friends. Also have a couple bottles of SF Jordans Skinny syrup (price is right, and is delicious). Jordans is sweetened with splenda, which is not the best choice, but I don't use much. Speaking as a Starbucks employee, STAY AWAY from Starbucks SF vanilla - it has maltodextrin/maltitol, which affects our blood sugar just the same as regular sugar. Their SF cinnamon dolce syrup though, for some reason has no maltodextrine.

Last edited by lunasoleil; 03-29-19 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-29-19, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Wilford Brimley
Old 03-29-19, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by lunasoleil View Post
Deb, may I suggest a Keto diet? This WOE has worked wonders for me.

It has significantly lowered my blood glucose and cholesterol levels (from 206 to 135 three months into this WOE). MUCH more energy, and mental clarity. Also noticed that my general mood is much better and can handle stress much better. Sounds like a miracle, but this WOE has been life changing. That said, I do follow it strictly, weighing and measuring everything I eat. And enjoying cooking and having the time to cook helps. I do some yoga and very moderate exercise, nothing too intense.

Weight loss - 67 pounds in about 6 1/2 months. (about 30 pounds til goal)

By reading your weight loss journey over the years, I know how committed and determined you can be when you set your mind to something. Be confident in knowing that you can reverse this pre diabetic thing. Good for you for acting on it! I'm pullin' for ya.

edit - I drink "sweet" coffee daily! Stevia and unsweetened almond milk are your friends. Also have a couple bottles of SF Jordans Skinny syrup (price is right, and is delicious). Jordans is sweetened with splenda, which is not the best choice, but I don't use much. Speaking as a Starbucks employee, STAY AWAY from Starbucks SF vanilla - it has maltodextrin/maltitol, which affects our blood sugar just the same as regular sugar. Their SF cinnamon dolce syrup though, for some reason has no maltodextrine.
Agreed on basically all of this. I've known a few people who've reversed diabetes or prediabetes and I'm positive you can do it. Even 10% of what you were doing at your peak would be a huge step.
Old 03-29-19, 10:30 AM

Deb,

Looky here https://hip2keto.com/tips/keto-food-...hic-printable/
Old 03-29-19, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My dad was pre-diabetes - he turned it around by losing about 20 pounds, mostly cutting carbs and sugar.
Old 03-29-19, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Losing weight is likely the "easiest" and most obvious way to reverse it. A good first step.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 03-29-19 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-29-19, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Low carb tip: if you get a supplement with exogenous ketones, it’ll flip you into ketosis faster and drastically minimize “low carb flu” symptoms. The Pruvit/Keto OS brand has worked well for me, I just don’t like their MLM setup.
Old 03-29-19, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Keto, intermittent fasting, and exercise. That's all you need.

There's plenty of info in the Biggest Loser thread.
Old 03-29-19, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Something that's making it harder is that we're trying to grow our family and I'll either be trying to get pregnant, pregnant, or breastfeeding for the next few years and I'm 40 so we can't delay it. Also doing IVF so I'm being pumped full of drugs constantly. So I can't do something like Keto and/or intermittent fasting or HIIT. No supplements either.
Old 03-29-19, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga

I was diagnosed two years ago with pre-diabetes. The doctor started me on Metformin twice a day, and I took it upon myself to change my diet. In a couple months I had lost 30 pounds, I lost many of the symptoms I had been experiencing, and I just generally felt a lot better. Within six months I had knocked my A1C back down to normal level. Admittedly, I've backslid a great deal on my diet, having gone back to eating a lot of the stuff I love to eat, but I try my best not to over-indulge. Also, before the diagnosis I was drinking Coke like it was oxygen, but during the initial period of weight loss I stopped drinking it altogether. I've gone back to drinking Coke, but I only have one per day, and I don't drink anything with the high-fructose corn syrup in it. The Coke I drink is the pure sugar Mexican Coke. For the most part, though, I drink far more water than I ever have before. Funny thing is, though, even though I pretty much eat what I want, I've kept the weight off, probably because of eating more in moderation, and the water thing. I have a follow-up appointment coming up soon, and we'll see where my number is.
Old 03-29-19, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
I still think you got this. You didn't need any kind of gimmick last time. You just ate better and exercised. A lot. You might not be able to exercise nearly as hard this time around (I'm thinking for time reasons), but you can definitely do it.
Old 03-29-19, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I will strongly recommend going completely Keto for the rest of your life and eliminating processed foods from your life. It's a total game-changer for the typical American's diet. If that is too dramatic of a change for you, cut out all refined sugar from your diet and breads immediately. Forsake all sodas, regular and diet versions. Learn to replace your normal fluid consumption with water.

Prediabetes indicates your body is struggling with the constant demands of inflammation generated by your body fat and current diet. That inflammation puts tremendous stress on the systems that normally process glucose in your bloodstream. The best way to attack prediabetes is losing weight by any means necessary. That advice cuts to the heart of the matter and is the honest advice you really won't get from a doctor. It doesn't matter how you lose it, but going keto is the most straightforward way.

In the beginning, I would only recommend mild exercise if you aren't already doing something physical on a weekly basis. First changing your diet is the key, then slowly incorporating positive changes to your lifestyle like exercise. Things like more sleep aren't bad, either.
Old 03-30-19, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
If you have PCOS metformin can really help with conception. But I guess if you're doing IVF you're kind of past that point. Either way I still think metformin can help normalize things. Here is it's mechanism of action specifically in terms of PCOS.Insulin resistance is a primary cause of polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). In PCOS patients, metformin reduces insulin resistance and lowers insulin levels, which lowers serum androgen concentrations, restores normal menstrual cycles and ovulation, and may help to resolve PCOS-associated infertility. Metformin, when administered to lean, overweight, and moderately obese women with PCOS, has been found to significantly reduce serum leuteinizing hormone (LH) and increase follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) and sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG). Serum testosterone concentrations were also found to decrease by approximately 50%.
Old 03-30-19, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was initially put on metformin because I had PCOS. The pre-diabetes developed later. I had a hysterectomy in 2008 but have remained on the metformin.
Old 03-30-19, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
If you have PCOS metformin can really help with conception. But I guess if you're doing IVF you're kind of past that point. Either way I still think metformin can help normalize things. Here is it's mechanism of action specifically in terms of PCOS.Insulin resistance is a primary cause of polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). In PCOS patients, metformin reduces insulin resistance and lowers insulin levels, which lowers serum androgen concentrations, restores normal menstrual cycles and ovulation, and may help to resolve PCOS-associated infertility. Metformin, when administered to lean, overweight, and moderately obese women with PCOS, has been found to significantly reduce serum leuteinizing hormone (LH) and increase follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) and sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG). Serum testosterone concentrations were also found to decrease by approximately 50%.
It's not PCOS-related infertility
Old 03-30-19, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Since growing your family is the deal breaker, outside of exercising a lot and eating less garbage food/binging, that's pretty much all you can do. if you can't do keto due to the carbs restrictions then eat better foods made with higher quality ingredients.

Turning back pre-diabetes, in your case, isn't clear cut due to all of those variables you listed.
Old 03-31-19, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If all you are worried about are lowering your A1c levels, long-term usage of alpha lipoic acid definitely works. It's available over the counter as a supplement and sold in most vitamin sections. Go with the peer-reviewed research doses - for legal reasons manufacturers always recommend less than the effective dose.
Old 03-31-19, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I tried it all and nothing worked. I always came down to my love of food, carbs in particular. I'm currently spending an ungodly amount of money per month on medication hoping to avoid insulin. The only thing that's ever worked for me is exercise. When I get my mind right and I can hit it every day I lose weight and my numbers improve.
Old 04-01-19, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
If all you are worried about are lowering your A1c levels, long-term usage of alpha lipoic acid definitely works. It's available over the counter as a supplement and sold in most vitamin sections. Go with the peer-reviewed research doses - for legal reasons manufacturers always recommend less than the effective dose.
No supplements while trying to get pregnant sigh This would be a piece of cake if I could go all out and eat no carb (no pun intended).
Old 04-01-19, 09:36 AM

Maybe try just cutting processed foods (so much unnecessary sugars there) and switching to Stevia and/or Stevia liquid drops. Shop the perimeter of the supermarket and only shop the aisles for things like pickles, olives, and such. Stevia liquid drops can be found on Amazon for about 7-10 bucks bottle and one bottle has like 200 servings. 4 drops (a serving) take care of my coffee/baking/cooking needs per serving nicely. Concentrate on whole foods cooking. I think ya already know this stuff, but maybe just need some support.

Take the kid for a walk in a stroller/jogging stroller. Let the hubs watch kiddo while you go to work out for an hour.
It is a challenge, though, when you're feeding the kid, kid yummy food and try not to have any. Try to have some alternatives for yourself on hand. Natural peanut butter, cream cheese w/bagel seasoning on celery sticks, parm/cheddar crisps and pepperoni slices, etc.

You can do this deb!
Old 04-01-19, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Forget Keto. It's unsustainable. Eat healthy (no gimmicks or anything, just keep the sugars under 25g, watch the saturated fats, keep the calories @10X your ideal weight per day), exercise regularly, drop the weight, and you'll see a dramatic drop in your A1C.
Old 04-01-19, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
Forget Keto. It's unsustainable. Eat healthy (no gimmicks or anything, just keep the sugars under 25g, watch the saturated fats, keep the calories @10X your ideal weight per day), exercise regularly, drop the weight, and you'll see a dramatic drop in your A1C.

Keto is sustainable. What kills it is that when folks get to their goal weight, they start eating garbage again. Keto combined with IF and exercise is phenomenal. Now if folks don't have the willpower for it then that's a different issue but it is very much sustainable. It's all about eating less frequently not eating less.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.