Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

My local McDonald's does it again

Old 03-24-19, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My local McDonald's does it again

Okay, this may be a bit long...so smoke 'em if you've got 'em.

In 2009, I got so pissed off at McDonald's that I didn't eat there again for three years. I was so mad that I sent an email to corporate; here's most of what I sent them:
--------------------
On my way home from class tonight, I stopped by the McDonald's restaurant closest to campus to grab a late meal, as I didn't eat before going to class at 6 PM. I used the drive-thru because I was ready to go home after an 8-hour day at work AND a 3-hour night class.
When I got to the order station, I ordered a McRib value meal. When I paid for the meal, I received a receipt that stated that I had placed the order on Nov. 19, '09 (Thu) at 20:48. When I got to the food window, I was given my drink. After waiting for about a minute, I was asked to pull up out of the drive-thru line and was told that my food would be brought to me. So, I pulled up. After a while, I realized that I should have had my food by now. I looked at the clock and it was now approximately 9:06--17 minutes and no food. I called a relative and got the store's number. At 9:08, I called and asked to speak to the manager. He was apologetic and asked what I had ordered, and said that it would be right out. At 9:16, an employee came out and asked what I had ordered. By this time, another vehicle had joined me in the "wait" line. I showed her my receipt, but when she tried to take it back inside, I told her that I needed to keep it. At 9:18, 29 minutes after the time on my receipt, I received my food, with no further apologies from the employee.Needless to say, I'm horribly disappointed in the treatment I received. What can you do to rectify this EXTREMELY poor customer service?
--------------------
I received an email back from corporate, apologizing for the customer service incident. About a week later, I received a handful of "Buy one, get one free" coupons in the mail. And that was that. I didn't feel like they'd taken any responsibility for making me wait a half-hour, so I stopped eating at McDonald's for three or so years.

But the lure of the arches eventually drew me back in. Admittedly, I've been perturbed every time I've been asked to pull up and wait in the drive-thru, but until today I hadn't had to wait for more than 6-7 minutes.

And then this morning came. I had a hankering to try the donut sticks, which were being advertised on their sign and on in-window posters in the store. So I ordered a dozen and a cup of coffee at 9:43 AM. Of course I was asked to pull up, even though it was a featured breakfast item at the busiest time of the morning (not unlike the McRib from 9 1/2 years earlier, which was ALSO a featured item and which I ordered during dinner hours). After five minutes of waiting, I began to get a little twitchy, but at about seven minutes an employee came to my window. She asked if I'd had the breakfast sticks and an Egg McMuffin. I said that, no, I'd ordered a twelve-piece donut sticks. So she took the order to the car that was waiting beside me in the holding area, and that driver left. Since there had been donut sticks in that bag, I figured that she'd be right back out with mine, since I knew that they had been cooked. So I waited, and waited, and waited. At 10:00, seventeen minutes after placing the order, I decided to go inside to complain. I said that I was EXTREMELY angry about this incident, and that I'd had to wait a long time before, and that I needed the donut sticks and the manager's name. The cashier was very attentive and got the donut sticks for me, and she also got the manager to come over. The manager was apologetic and said that they were busy. I said that I understood that, but getting my meal twenty minutes after ordering it and having to come inside to do so was indicative of something very broken in their workflows. I got her name and left.

I don't really think that it's her fault for this; like I told her, it's a workflow breakdown. However, she should have been on top of things and noticed me sitting in the holding area after five minutes and inquired of someone what the holdup was.

So, I came home and sent an email to corporate, and now I've decided that I'm done with McDonald's for life. Fuck 'em.
Old 03-24-19, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: My local McDonald's does it again

I mean I get that it sounds frustrating, but a similar incident twice in ten years would seem like a fluke thing to me personally and not a reason Iíd never go back. As far as what they did the first time with the coupons and you not being happy, I guess Iím not sure what else you expected. You got the apology email and those. Beyond that what more did you really expect?

Typically I just go inside to get my food. It usually just seems easier to me. I will say for a while Taco Bell locally frustrated me a couple times. There was one time my dad and I went there and we stood at the counter for around four or five minutes without anyone even coming up front to take our order. At that point we just left and went to a nearby Qdoba instead. They also were notorious around the same time (having been there within a few months or so going back a couple times) for being ridiculously slow. Not even for large or complex orders either and at times they werenít exactly busy. I think there though a lot of the problem is that they rotate employees and management often. They seem to have gotten better again though.

The two McDonaldís I have locally are very well run and Iíve only ever had a minor incident with one of them. I ordered the two cheeseburgers value meal, for home and I had two buns with cheese and condiments, but no burgers. I went back (luckily the one I normally go to isnít far from where I live), told them what happened and got my order corrected. They also gave me a couple coupons for my trouble.

Last edited by Mike86; 03-24-19 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-24-19, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The thing that pisses me off the most about McDonald's are their advertised deals. You see them on tv but many of the locations don't honor them. I have driven straight out of the drive thru on more than one occasion when the attendant says they don't honor that deal, but also tells you in a sassy way. They should get all of their locations on the same page, corporate or not.
Old 03-24-19, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I mean I get that it sounds frustrating, but a similar incident twice in ten years would seem like a fluke thing to me personally and not a reason I’d never go back. As far as what they did the first time with the coupons and you not being happy, I guess I’m not sure what else you expected. You got the apology email and those. Beyond that what more did you really expect?

Typically I just go inside to get my food. It usually just seems easier to me. I will say for a while Taco Bell locally frustrated me a couple times. There was one time my dad and I went there and we stood at the counter for around four or five minutes without anyone even coming up front to take our order. At that point we just left and went to a nearby Qdoba instead. They also were notorious around the same time (having been there within a few months or so going back a couple times) for being ridiculously slow. Not even for large or complex orders either and at times they weren’t exactly busy. I think there though a lot of the problem is that they rotate employees and management often. They seem to have gotten better again though.
I can see your point, but for it to happen at the same location twice AT ALL is unacceptable from a "how to run your business" standpoint, and for it to happen to the same customer almost ten years later points to either my being astronomically unlucky with that particular location or this being a problem that has probably occurred time and again to a variety of customers. During the last seven years, I've avoided that particular McDonald's as much as possible, but we've only got two in my small town, and the other one doesn't offer the donut sticks. I know; I went to the other one first to order them and was told that they don't serve them. (So I'm also in the same boat as dsa_shea.) And regarding having to pull up and wait in the first place, I would say that, over the last seven years, I've had to pull up and wait for my drive through order roughly one out of every three visits. There have only been a handful of times that I've gone through the drive-through at either of my local locations where there wasn't someone pulled up, waiting on their food. If Wendy's and Chick-Fil-A can avoid this issue, why can't McDonald's?

As to my not being satisfied with their apology, it seemed to be an auto-generated response--which I understand to an extent, but to send me BOGO coupons in the mail that I could've gotten out of the Sunday paper? No. Not enough. At the very least I should've received a free meal, if only to make up for the half-hour of my life that I spent sitting in their drive-through holding area.

So, while I understand your sentiments, Mike, there's nothing that they can do (short of offering me shares of stock) that will get me to visit any of their restaurants ever again.

Last edited by rbrown498; 03-24-19 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-24-19, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

McDonalds now has these televisions that display the menu and they constantly change. I’ve pretty much given up going their.
Old 03-24-19, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's it. I am not going to the OP's local McDonalds either.

McD's has sunk to the bottom of my fast food choices. The constantly changing menu is a pain. The double drive thru is a joke. And while the app used to have some decent deals, it's not exactly cheap to eat there.

All that being said, and I just had lunch there today. Guess I am a sucker for punishment. And my kids prefer their burgers/fries.
Old 03-24-19, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 View Post

McD's has sunk to the bottom of my fast food choices. The constantly changing menu is a pain. The double drive thru is a joke. And while the app used to have some decent deals, it's not exactly cheap to eat there.

All that being said, and I just had lunch there today. Guess I am a sucker for punishment. And my kids prefer their burgers/fries.
Heh, I stopped going to McD's years ago, and then I had kids. Luckily they are now getting older, and even they are mostly sick of the place now, so my visits there have substantially decreased. It's now at the bottom of my fast food choices too, along with Burger King and Tim Hortons. Garbage food that costs way too much for what you get, no thanks.
Old 03-24-19, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Umm...r we really discussing service at McDonalds?
Old 03-24-19, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Any time any fast food joint, McDonalds or not, asks me to pull around and wait, I know Iím screwed. They forget about you at least half the time. Iíd guess this has more to do with teenage employees being stupid than it does with the Mcdonalds Corporation.

Best advice: just go inside. Yeah, itís a hassle but they donít forget about you when youíre standing right in front of them.
Old 03-24-19, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm happy to say I haven't eaten at any of the 'big 3' (McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King) for 3 or 4 years.

The only one I do, now, is Five Guys, and that's only 2 or 3 times a year, when I'm visiting friends/relatives out of town. We don't have one, locally, which is probably a good thing.

There is zero excuse for the service you received, and even less for the 'apology.' What a joke. You had a bad experience, so here's an offer for you to spend MORE money at our restaurant? No thanks.

The few times I've written/emailed companies to complain about a product, I've always received gift certificates for more than the price of the item I complained about, or a voucher for a replacement item, or two.
Old 03-24-19, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Umm...r we really discussing service at McDonalds?
Their valet parking is terrible!
Old 03-24-19, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Next time go back through the drive through and wait at the window. It screws up there fullment time. Thatís why they make you pull. When you car leaves it counts as fulfilled even though you didnít get the food. Itís one of there most important metrics.
Old 03-24-19, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is the main reason I never use the drive-thru. You either have to wait longer for your food or they screw up your order. Most times, it's not as busy on the inside and you get in and out much quicker.
Old 03-24-19, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The service levels at each McDonalds vary so wildly that it's not worth discussing except learning to avoid the specific ones in your area that are mismanaged. Once a bad manager gets into a location, they can drag down the level of service within months. I've seen it happen again and again over the years. It's mostly about hiring the right staff - even at the bottom of the minimium-wage scale, there are good workers and bad workers. Bad managers hire bad workers.

Here's a little tip - each new McDonalds' location has a five-year window from when they first open that corporate watches like a hawk and enough negative customer experiences can get the manager fired. This includes franchises not directly owned by the corporation. So I've almost always had good experiences visiting newly opened McDonalds in that window. Once the five years are over, forget about it. Management goes into cruise control and customer service almost invariably gets worse. Some of the bigger franchises across the country are probably better run than the average corporate location - they tend to be family-run businesses managed by owners with personal investments in maintaining their locations.

I think the customer experience is a big reason why Chick-fil-A has become the fastest-growing fast food chain in the country with many analysts thinking they may even knock McDonalds off the top perch in terms of sales, sooner or later. It's ten times less stressful ordering at Chick-fil-A, even with much busier crowds at lunch. I see Chick-fil-A process 25 car orders in the time it would take McDonalds to get ten done.
Old 03-24-19, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't move up anymore. This has happened to me so many times I just sit there until they give me my food. I just politely say that I have waited like everyone else and I decline to get out of line. That usually makes them hurry up and get me my order.
Old 03-24-19, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

McDonald's was the first job I was ever fired from, more than 35 years ago, so naturally I consider myself an authority.

For the not honoring deals advertised on TV, it's my understanding that only company owned stores are required to honor them. I do agree that the constantly changing menus suck. The only thing I really like McDonald's for is their fries and their dollar any size iced tea. Their breakfast sandwiches are too spendy and they keep changing the offerings so you get used to something and they snatch it away. Fuck that. I work in my employer's corporate HQ and our cafeteria has been shut down since there was a fire in the building in mid-February. Usually I just grab a bowl of oatmeal from there, it's a better deal. I commute fifty miles per day, so breakfast out is one of the things I allow myself. I pack lunch from home most days. So I wouldn't even be bothered with fast food breakfast if not for my company caf being closed. They're supposed to reopen May first.
Old 03-24-19, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
I'm happy to say I haven't eaten at any of the 'big 3' (McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King) for 3 or 4 years.
Burger King used to be really good. Their flame broiled burgers tasted like they were right off the BBQ grill. Somewhere along the way they changed the way they prepared their burgers and now taste like soggy, gray, sponges. I still like their fries though.
Old 03-24-19, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
Next time go back through the drive through and wait at the window. It screws up there fullment time. Thatís why they make you pull. When you car leaves it counts as fulfilled even though you didnít get the food. Itís one of there most important metrics.
Ah, that explains why they do that. I never understood the point of it, as most times the place they direct you to will still block the cars behind you, so it's not a case of allowing others to get their food while they finish your order; no one behind you leaves until you do.
Old 03-24-19, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
I don't move up anymore. This has happened to me so many times I just sit there until they give me my food. I just politely say that I have waited like everyone else and I decline to get out of line. That usually makes them hurry up and get me my order.
Complete with spit and pubic hair in it?
Old 03-24-19, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by andicus View Post

The only one I do, now, is Five Guys, and that's only 2 or 3 times a year, when I'm visiting friends/relatives out of town. We don't have one, locally, which is probably a good thing.
How about Harvey's or A&W? I'd take those any day of the week over any of the big three.
Old 03-24-19, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post

Never will happen. Zero concerns.
Old 03-24-19, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Burger King used to be really good. Their flame broiled burgers tasted like they were right off the BBQ grill. Somewhere along the way they changed the way they prepared their burgers and now taste like soggy, gray, sponges. I still like their fries though.
Yeah, Burger King was my favourite, of the three, with Wendy's second, and McDonald's way down at the bottom. As I said, I haven't had them (Burger King) for years, so ours could very well be terrible, now, too.

I only like fresh cut fries, which is one of the reasons I like Five Guys. Any sort of coating or other processing really puts me off. McDonald's fries were probably the best thing they had, but I think even those went downhill when they switched away from tallow. Wendy's fries used to be even better and then they changed, too. Fries are so frustrating. What could be simpler than cutting up a potato and dropping it in hot oil?

That's what I was thinking.
Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
How about Harvey's or A&W? I'd take those any day of the week over any of the big three.
I don't think I've had Harvey's since my university days, when being a starving student meant loading everything on your burger in order to fill you up. I didn't mind them, then, but I had heard the fries were pretty bad, now. They used to be just like the Swiss Chalet fries. Nice and soggy!

A&W... Well, I used to like them until about a month ago. They were another one that I hadn't had for years, but my wife and I gave them a shot. Mistake #1, we didn't have a coupon. Our order was two teen burgers, an order of fries, an order of onion rings, and a coney sauce (no drinks). I don't remember the exact total, but it was over $20. Just saw a coupon today, two teen burger combos for $12.99. That stings, a little. Why would you want to put your customers off by charging ridiculous prices if you don't happen to have a coupon?

On top of that, it just wasn't very good. Everything was just barely warm, and the burgers were not nearly as good as I remembered. I expect that would vary by location and/or how busy they are, and the staff was pleasant enough, but we won't be doing it again any time soon.
Old 03-24-19, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Leo Getz would like to have a word with you.
Old 03-24-19, 11:07 PM
gamer for life

My advice...use the McDonald's app...and only the app..pull up and get your order.

They are somehow rated on getting your order to you fast. The app tracks when you get there and how long it takes for you to pull away. I have the WORST Mcdonalds in the world near me....and they tried to fuck up even the app... but after a few weeks the quality of service went through the roof compared to drive thru and in store(which is still bad)..

They tried 3 times when messing my order up from the app to get me to pull out of the spot and around and I refused each time and they quickly fixed the problem. My guess is the app is tracking how long I am in my spot waiting for my order so they want to get me out of it to quickly "fix" the problem. By refusing to pull out they made sure my order was given top priority.

and to be clear I don't eat meals at Mcdonalds all the time...90% of the time it is just a simple ice cream....and yes they mess that up. One time I made an order for a simple cone and they brought me 4 orders of fries.

Old 03-24-19, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rbrown498 View Post
and now I've decided that I'm done with McDonald's for life.
This sound decision-making will stand you in good stead.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.