Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

My local McDonald's does it again

Old 03-25-19, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: My local McDonald's does it again

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
The BK I go to has flame broilers. I've seen them cooking with them. Sometimes the inside of the restaurant will get a little smokey when they're cooking. Maybe they reheat using microwaves.
I wonder if BK would cook you a fresh burger off the grill, or if they only fire up the grill once or twice a day to stock up their warming bins before the lunch and dinner rush.

I once talked to a couple that were BK franchisers and managed several stores. I mentioned that their burgers would be much better if they served them fresh off the grill, but they claimed that storing them in the warming bins in their "juices" enhances the flavor.
Old 03-25-19, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I think the menu in the US is basically:
Hot Dogs + Soda
Chicken Wrap
Pizza (Cheese, Pepperoni, Combo)
Churros
Smoothie/coffee
Soft Serve Ice Cream/Berry sundae
Acai Bowl
Chicken Caesar Salad
Chili
Double Cheeseburger (which is kind of pricey)
BBQ Brisket sandwich (I'm pretty sure this could kill you)
Turkey Provolone
Just the Soda (but really who buys that, their soda is terrible)

No more polish dogs or ice cream bars, at least around here. Also I miss the Hebrew National dogs.

As far as BK without burgers, I went to a KFC where they ran out of chicken...
Many, many Costco locations only have a limited number of these items. Starting around 4-5 years ago, I noticed Costco started narrowing their menu down in most locations. It's pretty apparent if you live in an area with several different Costcos. For example, only three of the 15 Costcos around me have that BBQ sandwich.

Old 03-25-19, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's interesting, our Costco has increased their menu selection over the past few years.
Old 03-25-19, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 03-25-19, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
We need a Costco thread. Here in California, where Costco was invented, they do not have French fries.
The first Costco store was in Seattle, dammit. (Although, I assume you were referring to Price Club, which pioneered the warehouse store concept.)

Anyway, my local Costco has a rather disappointing burger in its food court -- with not fries to accompany it.
Old 03-25-19, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post
The first Costco store was in Seattle, dammit. (Although, I assume you were referring to Price Club, which pioneered the warehouse store concept.)

Anyway, my local Costco has a rather disappointing burger in its food court -- with not fries to accompany it.
Didn't they merge anyway?
Old 03-25-19, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This reminds me, last time I went to McD's (and I don't go often), they had me come out of the drive-thru to wait in front of the store, which is fine. But there were already 3 cars there waiting, and while I was there, 2 more cars were sent there waiting - so that's SIX cars waiting for their orders and the way it is at this shopping center, there's no room for 6 cars to be waiting out front like that, so we were all blocking traffic for other cars that were just trying to drive by to another part of the lot. We had to keep adjusting our cars as other cars came through - it was a total clusterfuck. I mean, if you're gonna have so many cars waiting, why not just wait in the drive-thru line?
Old 03-25-19, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
This reminds me, last time I went to McD's (and I don't go often), they had me come out of the drive-thru to wait in front of the store, which is fine. But there were already 3 cars there waiting, and while I was there, 2 more cars were sent there waiting - so that's SIX cars waiting for their orders and the way it is at this shopping center, there's no room for 6 cars to be waiting out front like that, so we were all blocking traffic for other cars that were just trying to drive by to another part of the lot. We had to keep adjusting our cars as other cars came through - it was a total clusterfuck. I mean, if you're gonna have so many cars waiting, why not just wait in the drive-thru line?
Because as was mentioned before, they have metrics that show how quickly they service drive through orders and if they have people waiting in line, all their metrics get screwed up. Though they must have been having major problems.
Old 03-25-19, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Those metrics go out the door when they clog the front of the store with 6 car with no way for other cars to get through.
Interestingly, they have WAY more room for cars at the where you enter the drive-thru (without getting in the way of through-traffic) than they do where the drive-thru comes out. But then it's harder for them to bring food out back there. Whatever the reason, they fucked up. I see this happening more now than I ever did in the '80s/'90s. And it can't be just getting rid of heating lamps or something, because I still get stale, old food all the time.
Old 03-26-19, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Those metrics go out the door when they clog the front of the store with 6 car with no way for other cars to get through.
Interestingly, they have WAY more room for cars at the where you enter the drive-thru (without getting in the way of through-traffic) than they do where the drive-thru comes out. But then it's harder for them to bring food out back there. Whatever the reason, they fucked up. I see this happening more now than I ever did in the '80s/'90s. And it can't be just getting rid of heating lamps or something, because I still get stale, old food all the time.
Have to admit, this must be a new thing for fast food places to do. Been experiencing this myself, but not at McD's or BK (I stopped going there back in the 90's)--sometimes at Taco Bell. Before, a person just had to wait and if you didn't want to wait...you left. Now...they just have you park to the side, still waiting as others drive by and I get rather nervous by looking at some of the clientele, hoping they see me as they race out of the drive thru. Eventually, people are going to get hit and side-swiped.
Old 03-26-19, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

At least one of our local McDonald's has 2 or 3 dedicated spots for drive thru customers to pull into and wait, if necessary.
Old 03-26-19, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Didn't they merge anyway?
Yeah, two separate entities; then they merged calling themselves Price-Costco and then just plain old Costco.
Old 03-26-19, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
At least one of our local McDonald's has 2 or 3 dedicated spots for drive thru customers to pull into and wait, if necessary.
I've seen that too, but they're mostly new, having been added in just the last few years, when this whole, "pull out of line and wait" thing started escalating.
Old 03-26-19, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

McDonald's will use AI to automatically tweak drive-thru menus

It might give McFlurrys more prominent placement on hot days, for instance.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/03/26/...dynamic-yield/

Discuss.
Old 03-26-19, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
McDonald's will use AI to automatically tweak drive-thru menus

It might give McFlurrys more prominent placement on hot days, for instance.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/03/26/...dynamic-yield/

Discuss.
As long as it's not dynamically changing prices (which I'm sure is the next step), I don't care.
Old 03-26-19, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As if fast food menus aren't bad enough, as it is.

Remember when you just looked at a menu, and it listed all the burgers, and another spot listed the fries/sides, and still another spot listed drinks?

That seems to have disappeared, from most places, and you're blasted with all the 'combos' instead. Not to belabour the point, but Five Guys still does it the easy way.
Old 03-26-19, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not to belabour the point, but Five Guys still does it the easy way.
5G doesn't have drive-thru (not around here anyways), also, it as expensive as much better sit-down gourmet burger restaurants. Which gives me no reason to go there, as if I wanted their quality-caliber food, I'd go to a fast food place, but if I wanted to pay their prices, I'd go to a gourmet burger place. I honestly don't understand who 5G caters to.

Old 03-26-19, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post

True, true. Yes. the concept was originated in San Diego as Price Club. It was there that the cheap hot dog and soda offered out front was pioneered. Costco just came and bought it all up.
Old 03-26-19, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Remember when you just looked at a menu, and it listed all the burgers, and another spot listed the fries/sides, and still another spot listed drinks?

That seems to have disappeared, from most places, and you're blasted with all the 'combos' instead. Not to belabour the point, but Five Guys still does it the easy way.

So true. And the tv menu signs are inside and outside. And movie theaters do it too!
Old 03-26-19, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That seems to have disappeared, from most places, and you're blasted with all the 'combos' instead.
Yeah, Iíve noticed that for a while. Fast food menus are a fucking eyesore, and have been even before they put in those fucking screens that change all the time. Thereís no organization, things are hard to find, prices are difficult to find. When I go into one of these places, even if I know what I want to order, I find myself standing there scanning the menu trying to find what I want, how much it costs, whether Iím better off getting a combo/value meal or just a sandwich and fries, yadda yadda yadda.

I am assuming this is by design, trying to push certain higher margin items and trying to keep you figuring out youíre paying two dollars for a fucking Coke.
Old 03-26-19, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

5G doesn't have drive-thru (not around here anyways), also, it as expensive as much better sit-down gourmet burger restaurants. Which gives me no reason to go there, as if I wanted their quality-caliber food, I'd go to a fast food place, but if I wanted to pay their prices, I'd go to a gourmet burger place. I honestly don't understand who 5G caters to.
Your Five Guys must be a lot different from the two that I've been to. Their burgers are much better than any of the big 3. Yes, they are pricey, but not near what a gourmet burger place charges, here. Like the gourmet places, you can get a load of toppings, and for most of them, there's no additional charge.

And the fries... No contest, there, either. Fresh cut, and just how I like them. Plus, you get a LOT of fries, even when ordering a small. At least the two I've been to, they put them in the cup, then put them in the bag and dump another big scoop on top of those.

As Mabuse pointed out, these menus are also in-store.
Old 03-26-19, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post

Yeah, Iíve noticed that for a while. Fast food menus are a fucking eyesore, and have been even before they put in those fucking screens that change all the time. Thereís no organization, things are hard to find, prices are difficult to find. When I go into one of these places, even if I know what I want to order, I find myself standing there scanning the menu trying to find what I want, how much it costs, whether Iím better off getting a combo/value meal or just a sandwich and fries, yadda yadda yadda.

I am assuming this is by design, trying to push certain higher margin items and trying to keep you figuring out youíre paying two dollars for a fucking Coke.
Exactly!
Old 03-26-19, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post

It's confusing on purpose. For example at my store:

4pc nuggets $2.49
6pc.nuggets $2
10pc.nuggets $4.49

Old 03-26-19, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Some of ours do too, and one time I was told to go park in a normal spot, but they gave me a sign with a big number on it to put on my roof while I was waiting.
Old 03-26-19, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Your Five Guys must be a lot different from the two that I've been to. Their burgers are much better than any of the big 3. Yes, they are pricey, but not near what a gourmet burger place charges, here. Like the gourmet places, you can get a load of toppings, and for most of them, there's no additional charge.

And the fries... No contest, there, either. Fresh cut, and just how I like them. Plus, you get a LOT of fries, even when ordering a small. At least the two I've been to, they put them in the cup, then put them in the bag and dump another big scoop on top of those.

As Mabuse pointed out, these menus are also in-store.
Yeah, their fries are pretty good, and you do indeed get a lot, but I found their burgers to be nothing special. Definitely better than any burgers from the big three, but I wasn't that impressed. If I want a fancy ass burger I'll go to Burger's Priest when I'm in Toronto, those are pretty good.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.