Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Travel Plans for 2019?

Old 03-22-19, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Travel Plans for 2019?

Couch Potatoes and Stay Cationers need not reply.

So who here has some fun travel plans in 2019, especially going into the rest of the Spring and going into the Summer?

I just made a bunch of travel plans this week.

April: Going to Seattle for a few days. Taking my Mother there to give her a break from work and also to treat her for her 67th Birthday. Going to stay near the downtown area and will try to check out some of the bigger attractions including Pike Place Market.

Late May/June: Going to Bangkok, Thailand for 4 days, then to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia for another 4 days and then finally to Siem Reap, Cambodia for 3. Just booked all my hotels and flights over the last few days. Also got my Visa to Cambodia. It cost $36 via the official government website. Going to be flying AA, Cathay Pacific and Air Asia. Really psyched to be seeing Angkor Wat, which is one of the biggest attractions in SE Asia.

Will also be doing Dinner in the Sky in Malaysia, which is comprised of this:

It's a crane hoisting the dinner table 180 feet in the air over the Malaysian skyline. I'm psyched to be doing this.

I'm psyched for the next few months. So I will be cutting back on some frivolous purchases for awhile, since my trips are taking priority.

What about the rest of you? One of the things I hoped to do going into this year and in future years was travel more time permitting and when financially viable. I just get so much enjoyment out of experiencing what's out there.

Also, I just got Global Entry, which includes TSA Pre-Check, so that should hopefully make my airport visits smoother.

Does anyone here have Clear? Is that worth it? I know there is a 2-month free trial, but I heard it's probably not worth it unless you're flying all the time.
Old 03-22-19, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Travel Plans for 2019?

Went to Arizona to visit my dad and go to the Royal Rumble in January. Heading out to Vegas in two weeks for my 40th. That's it for this year unless I hit it big in Vegas.
Old 03-22-19, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Japan 4/1-4/14.
Old 03-22-19, 08:28 AM

Lately, most of my travel revolves around work.

Was in San Diego and Tampa already. Will be in Phoenix in two weeks. Vancouver in June.

I have a a work trip to in Paris in July. And then will bounce around Europe for another week and half. Paris... Bruges... Amsterdam... Heidelberg... Munich... Vienna.

I think I will be in Lisbon in October.

I got PreCheck recently since work reimbursed for it. It's been great.
Old 03-22-19, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Late May/June: Going to Bangkok, Thailand for 4 days, then to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia for another 4 days and then finally to Siem Reap, Cambodia for 3. Just booked all my hotels and flights over the last few days. Also got my Visa to Cambodia. It cost $36 via the official government website. Going to be flying AA, Cathay Pacific and Air Asia. Really psyched to be seeing Angkor Wat, which is one of the biggest attractions in SE Asia.
Awesome! I'll be doing similar in late June/early July. Will be starting at Siem Reap for a few days and then moving to Chiang Mai, Thailand before finishing up with a few days at the beach in Koh Samui. Very excited.

Double back here after your trip and let us know how it goes. I'd be interested to hear some recommendations in Siem Reap.

Also, I just got Global Entry, which includes TSA Pre-Check, so that should hopefully make my airport visits smoother.
I have it and it's amazing. Last time I used it I was coming back home after a 30+ hour trip from Tanzania. Walked off the plane and the line for customs was already well past the designated line maze area. Walked past everyone into the Global Entry, where there was 4-5 people waiting ahead of us. We were out and at baggage claim within 5 minutes. It takes a lot of the headache out of international travel, that's for sure.
Old 03-22-19, 11:29 AM

I went on seven trips last year, but this year I’ll do maybe three. I want to do a remodel and need to be a tad more thrifty.
I’m headed back to NYC in July for a few days and back to Austin in September. Might go to Vegas to see the Tim Burton exhibition in October.
Old 03-22-19, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm going to Île de Ré (France) for a wedding in June.
Old 03-22-19, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Some friends are going to Thailand in November but I can't swing the time off at that time. Maybe next year.
Old 03-22-19, 12:13 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

I'm heading to New Zealand later this year with the wife and two of my three boys to meet up with our third son, who is in the Peace Corps in Vanuatu.
Old 03-22-19, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Heading to Jamaica on Monday for a week on the beach with Little Feat.
Linky: https://liveforlivemusic.com/news/li...e-island-2019/

Big news out of the Little Feat camp today. To celebrate the band’s upcoming 50th anniversary, they will be hosting the 2019 Ramble On The Island at the luxurious Melia Braco Village, in picturesque Trelawny, Jamaica. The event will span four nights, March 26th-30th, 2019, with four full-nights of music!

Joining the host band Little Feat, will be folky-blues queen, Lucinda Williams, and The Midnight Ramble Band, the late Levon Helm’s beloved house band. Leftover Salmon’s Vince Herman and New Orleans sensation Anders Osborne will be hanging out and playing as special guests throughout the weekend.
Then to London this October to see the Bengals get throttled by the Rams.

Other than that... I'm a stay-at-home slugabug.
Old 03-22-19, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
I'm heading to New Zealand later this year with the wife and two of my three boys to meet up with our third son, who is in the Peace Corps in Vanuatu.
He's in Vanuatu! That's awesome! Is he playing one of the leads (Sonny Malone or Danny McGuire) or one of the two "female" male muses?

And is it hard to roller-skate in New Zealand, what with all the Hobbit holes everywhere?
Old 03-22-19, 01:02 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does anyone here have Clear? Is that worth it? I know there is a 2-month free trial, but I heard it's probably not worth it unless you're flying all the time.
Clear costs $180 per year while Global Entry is $100 per 5 years, I think.

But the benefit of Clear is that their lines are a lot faster -- often you are the only person using it, and there are 2-3 assistants with nothing else to do. the TSA Pre lines are short but it can still take you maybe 5 minutes to get through. The main benefit I see is that you don't have to take things out (laptops, tablets, shoes, jacket, your 3-1-1 items). That's the part I hate the most, to unpack and repack.
Old 03-22-19, 01:05 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
our third son, who is in the Peace Corps in Vanuatu.

to your son, for joining the Peace Corps.
Old 03-22-19, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
Clear costs $180 per year while Global Entry is $100 per 5 years, I think.
Yes that's correct. I paid $100 for GE and it's good for 5 years, so yeah it seems really expensive compared to that.

I may use the 2 month free trial for Clear for my international trip in late May, but it doesn't sound like it's worth keeping on a yearly basis for only a few trips per year.
Old 03-22-19, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

3 week vacation with a cruise around Greece.. Starting in Rome and winding up in Spain. Looking forward to this one in particular since we'll have 4 family members and my best friend going with us. Not looking forward to the heat.. I always prefer cold weather places but most folks want warmer so I'll deal with it until 2021 when we're planning a Northern Lights cruise.
Old 03-22-19, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nothing planned but I'm scouring for ideas. I switched to Google Fi to make it all a bit easier, we'll see how it goes.
Old 03-22-19, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Probably a few trips to Vegas. I've been there so many times I've made some good friends out there, so the trips are a lot about going to see them.
Old 03-22-19, 05:56 PM

I’ve spent the last several years not doing the shit I want. Been focused on work and parenting. I decided for my 40th year I would finally get out and see some live shows. Saw Spafford in Athens, Ga last month. Next month is Dark Star Orchestra in Birmingham. May I’m seeing Dave Matthews Band in Nashville. June is Dead & Company in Charlotte. Also have a Disneyworld trip planned for November, and last week went to California which included a day at Disneyland and a trip to Santa Monica Pier.
I was goping to finally catch my first Phish show this year, but then they signed up for Bonnaroo which has this stupid clause that bands can’t play within like 300 miles for x number of months. So that killed my chances of a southeast show during summer tour. Got my fingers crossed that there will be a fall tour with something local-ish.
Old 03-22-19, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am insanely jealous of Bando and Mrs. Bando and the Bando Family for getting to go to New Zealand. I've always wanted to visit the beautiful green islands.

My own travel plans are rather more prosaic. As I do every May, I'm driving to my dad's in Upper Michigan for his birthday on the 16th (he'll be 93). This time my oldest brother is hitching a ride with me since his PT Cruiser is too elderly to make the haul.
Old 03-22-19, 09:30 PM

Allure of the Seas - 7 Day Caribbean cruise

Cruise #13
Old 03-22-19, 10:58 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I may use the 2 month free trial for Clear for my international trip in late May, but it doesn't sound like it's worth keeping on a yearly basis for only a few trips per year.
I just learned that the Clear special line is only for the ID check. After that, you still go through physical scan with everyone else, and if you don't have TSA Pre, you have to go through a regular line and take the usual stuff out for scanning. There is no question now that I would get Global Entry first, then maybe Clear only if I travel a lot.
Old 03-22-19, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Just arrived in Port Hardy, British Columbia for our sixth annual dive trip up here. We're spending two weeks, diving in 46° water.
Old 03-23-19, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Of course my usual multiple trips to Colorado (next up Estes Park), and Vegas. Portland is on tap (literally, as going for the breweries).
Old 03-23-19, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Last 2 years, I flew over 100K miles each year. This year will be much less, about half of that. I go about once a month to San Francisco for work and maybe once to Kansas City.

Non work trips this year look like:
a few trips to San Diego for personal reasons, have a trip to Vegas in September to see Iron Maiden, Chicago sometime during football season to see the Bears, might try to go up for a Cubs game too (and visit family), Planning on going to Prague in October to see the Blackhawks play the Flyers, will probably spend 3 days in Prague, 3 in Karlovy Vary, We generally squeeze in a few weekend trips a year to places in driving distance as well. Think that is it for this year.
Old 03-23-19, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Couch Potatoes and Stay Cationers need not reply.

So who here has some fun travel plans in 2019, especially going into the rest of the Spring and going into the Summer?

I just made a bunch of travel plans this week.

April: Going to Seattle for a few days. Taking my Mother there to give her a break from work and also to treat her for her 67th Birthday. Going to stay near the downtown area and will try to check out some of the bigger attractions including Pike Place Market.

Will also be doing Dinner in the Sky in Malaysia, which is comprised of this:

It's a crane hoisting the dinner table 180 feet in the air over the Malaysian skyline. I'm psyched to be doing this.

I'm psyched for the next few months. So I will be cutting back on some frivolous purchases for awhile, since my trips are taking priority.

What about the rest of you? One of the things I hoped to do going into this year and in future years was travel more time permitting and when financially viable. I just get so much enjoyment out of experiencing what's out there.

I commend you for wanting do to the Dinner in the Sky, because there's not enough money in the world I would ever do that. My fear of heights is at a defcon one. The family and I are planning a Disney World vacation in the fall.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.