Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Health procedures now that I知 40

Old 03-21-19, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Health procedures now that I知 40

So I turned 40 on the 10th and it just occurred to me that there痴 certain procedures I probably need to start setting up.
A google search told me that 50 is now the recommended age for my first colonoscopy (whew!), but it looks like I need to have my first prostate exam soon. My dad痴 had prostate issues for years so it痴 not something I plan to put off.
My question is, are there any other exams/procedures I haven稚 thought of that I should look into?
Old 03-21-19, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Health procedures now that I知 40

If your family has a history of heart issues like me, you may want to get a stress test. I just set one up for later this year (38yo) to make sure there are no blockages. My father had a heart attack in his 40's.
Old 03-21-19, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you're getting a regular physical exam, the doctor should be adjusting the exam to your age.

The rest is self-explanatory. Are you holding a paper close to your face to read it? Is the barber volunteering to trim your ears?
Old 03-21-19, 08:20 AM
Suspended

Colonoscopy? Nope. Do a fecal.
Seen way too many fuckups. It's also a money-generator for health admin.
Old 03-21-19, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
If your family has a history of heart issues like me, you may want to get a stress test. I just set one up for later this year (38yo) to make sure there are no blockages. My father had a heart attack in his 40's.
A friend had two stress tests with good results. Within a few months he had a heart attack. I would recommend a heart scan with the stress test.
Old 03-21-19, 08:44 AM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
If you're getting a regular physical exam, the doctor should be adjusting the exam to your age.

The rest is self-explanatory. Are you holding a paper close to your face to read it? Is the barber volunteering to trim your ears?
Nick Danger is wise. If you're not seeing your family doctor regularly, make an appointment. It would be a good idea to get a blood screening looking for things like high cholesterol and get a baseline PSA (prostate cancer indicator). I hadn't been going to a Dr recently and if it wasn't for me trying to get my FAA medical to start flying again, I wouldn't have known that I had pretty bad hypertension. I've got it down to perfect levels now with the lowest dose of meds, but it really was an eye opener. You need to go to the Doc regularly once you hit 40 (really you should go at any age, but it gets more important as you age).
Old 03-21-19, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There's a test they do in your butt, different from a colonoscopy, where they test for abnormal cell growth. Basically just a qtip swirled around in there. I'm 44 and just had that done last year, they found a few pre cancerous cells, had to zap them off. Not super pleasant, but you would much rather get those cells early on then later.
Old 03-21-19, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Yeah, this. My dad had one in his 40's as well, and my grandfather had one in his 50's. I had a stress test, EKG and echocardiogram a couple years ago, and luckily it was all clear, I guess I take after my mom's side of the family.

On the other hand, my mom has a history of polyps in the colon, so I've had regular colonoscopies since I was 40. Those have been all clear too, and nothing to really worry about getting, the prep is the worst part.
Old 03-21-19, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Colonoscopy? Nope. Do a fecal.
Seen way too many fuckups. It's also a money-generator for health admin.
Yeah don't listen to this. I had pre-cancerous polyps at 42. Picked up on a routine colonoscopy.
Old 03-21-19, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
There's a test they do in your butt, different from a colonoscopy, where they test for abnormal cell growth. Basically just a qtip swirled around in there. I'm 44 and just had that done last year, they found a few pre cancerous cells, had to zap them off. Not super pleasant, but you would much rather get those cells early on then later.
That'll cover the rectum only. The colonoscopy will cover the entire colon. An endoscopy once in awhile doesn't hurt either. You can get both at once, but make sure they change cameras...
Old 03-21-19, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
Yeah don't listen to this. I had pre-cancerous polyps at 42. Picked up on a routine colonoscopy.
Agreed. I had the same thing, as discussed in another thread.

A fecal occult blood test will not reveal this.
Old 03-21-19, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm 51, was supposed to get a colonoscopy this past year, but making the appointment just slipped my mind. Can't imagine why.
Old 03-21-19, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Exactly, that's why I get the scopes done (due to my mother having such polyps). A fecal test won't help with finding these at all. I listen to my doctor, not some rando on the internet.
Old 03-21-19, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
I listen to my doctor, not some rando on the internet.
Funny how that works

My Yoga Instructor told me probiotics give you Cancer of the AIDS!
Old 03-21-19, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm 45 and see the doctor 6 times per year. and that's more than enough visits for me.

I get my heart, blood, blood pressure checked and I also get my thyroid checked because I have Hashimoto's disease, which is an autoimmune disease. I've had that since I was in my 20s. It's a disease that also causes you to gain weight, lose hair and develops a sensitivity to cold. I'm about 20 pounds heavier than I should be for my height.

I also get my right leg checked out regularly because I recently recovered from DVT in my right leg. I had to spend 2 nights in the hospital about 2 years ago when it was diagnosed. Be conscious when you get older and sit a lot it's very possible to develop blood clots. I had swelling in my right leg for almost 2 years before I finally got it checked out. The DVT could have killed me. The residual effects from it have left me with some scarring, discoloration and on and off swelling in my leg. I also take blood thinners twice per day to help. I also wear a compression sock on my leg.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-21-19 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-21-19, 12:57 PM
Suspended

Yeah, I heard this from most doctors, too. Scaring all the patients into getting exams they did not need, and then creating more shit and hospital visits than it was supposed to prevent.

Also, a rather large segment of these results are misinterpreted. Just like the unnecessary mammograms.

Like I said, and what another poster mentioned...do a fecal. Or just do the swab thing. You don't need somebody going up your butt, looking for the Boogie Man. Because they will find it.
Old 03-21-19, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ugh. Listen to your doctor. If you don't trust your doctor enough to take his advice over random internet people, find a new doctor.
Old 03-21-19, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Like I said, and what another poster mentioned...do a fecal. Or just do the swab thing. You don't need somebody going up your butt, looking for the Boogie Man. Because they will find it.
This is absolutely insane. A fecal/swab isn't going to do anything for you outside of the rectal area. Polyps need to be found, removed, and put through a biopsy. This isn't about feeding some unknown "BIG PHARMA/MED INDUSTRY NEEDS SICK PATIENTS FOR $$$" bullshit conspiracy. Leave that lunacy to that anti-vaxx chowderheads.

Yeah that fecal/swab is really going to be a huge help on sigmoidal or transverse masses. Good luck with that
Old 03-21-19, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Try not to end up in a hospital, which happened to me. Do what you can to take better care of your health when you reach middle age.

For my 2 night visit for the blood clot, I was billed around $8,500!! And that's with no surgery too. They gave me blood thinner injections in my stomach every 4 hours and I just sat there.

Initially my insurance didn't pay a dime because the hospital was out of network and I had to beg them for a discount due to the nature of my issue. I managed to get it down to around $4,600, which is still fucking expensive as shit.

Imagine the costs for more evasive procedures if you don't have good insurance. It can bankrupt you. I'm freelance, so I don't get insurance through my employer, so I have to buy my own and it's a bronze plan, which sucks.
Old 03-21-19, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Colonoscopies are over prescribed. Unless you have intestinal issues, have had positive fecal test(s), or you are at risk (family history), you don't need a colonoscopy. I'm 60, I had an endoscopy last year (not the first) and they found polyps in my stomach, which were caused by... anti-acid/GERD medication I'd been taking for decades. When I asked if I also needed a colonoscopy, the doctor said no, you don't have intestinal issues.
Old 03-21-19, 01:17 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
Ugh. Listen to your doctor. If you don't trust your doctor enough to take his advice over random internet people, find a new doctor.
I have seen probably around 3000 orders from docs for men and women over my career.

Most doctors don't give a shit, get orders from admin, and are scheduling these like free candy.

But yeah, don't listen to me. The random internet person who literally sees these orders everyday come across my desk.

Also, I schedule shitloads of post-op issues from these procedures.

P.S. What eXcentris said.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 03-21-19 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-21-19, 01:36 PM
Suspended

This is absolutely insane. A fecal/swab isn't going to do anything for you outside of the rectal area. Polyps need to be found, removed, and put through a biopsy. This isn't about feeding some unknown "BIG PHARMA/MED INDUSTRY NEEDS SICK PATIENTS FOR $$$" bullshit conspiracy. Leave that lunacy to that anti-vaxx chowderheads.

Yeah that fecal/swab is really going to be a huge help on sigmoidal or transverse masses. Good luck with that
That's got nothing to do with the healthcare industry mandating these procedures on the elderly (who often get these every few years) or people in general just because it's medically prudent. It's not. More people get injured in some way that they need to go back for surgery to fix the problem.

To me, this is not solving problems...but making new ones. If it was not the case...I would say so. I have no special interest one way or another, except for being an advocate for the patient when they don't have anyone else to ask questions.

I would suggest getting several professional opinions...and not just from a pcp, but others more specialized in endo.
Old 03-21-19, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That'll cover the rectum only. The colonoscopy will cover the entire colon. An endoscopy once in awhile doesn't hurt either. You can get both at once, but make sure they change cameras...

Old 03-21-19, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm not sure if it was mentioned, but you should get your body checked out by a dermatologist. You may have some odd moles hidden around your neck, head, back, etc, that should be looked at and/or removed.
Old 03-21-19, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Actual death rates for the entire population begin to rise starting around 45. They are fairly stable between 25 to 45.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright ゥ 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.