Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

How do you know if you have ADD?

Old 03-17-19, 08:55 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

How do you know if you have ADD?

Recently, I havenít been able to focus on one thing during my free time, when Iím not working 5 days a week. Movies, havenít watched a one, at home, in weeks, at least in full. Iíve started many, but donít finish for one reason or another. Itís bothering me. At work, focused and work hard, but at home, I canít seem to do the things I used to love to do. Is that ADD? Anything besides meds to do to help it?
Old 03-17-19, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: How do you know if you have ADD?

Might be ADD, might be bipolar (manic depressive). Best thing is: try to relax, and make every attempt to finish each project or activity to its systematic and logical conclusion.

Could simply be stress also.. What has changed in your life since you've started to notice this? Things can build up over months or years and come to a point. Symptoms manifest in seeming strange ways.

My advice is to (temporarily) take time off (say, an hour each day) and intentionally think and do NOTHING, just relax and "meditate" if possible. In a week, see if your focusing is better. If not, see your doc and report to him what you've been feeling...
Old 03-17-19, 09:20 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

I wouldn’t say I was depressed which is what bipolar suggests. That’s highs and lows emotionally. I’m just talking about not being able to stick to something, a plan I have loosely in head, just always peters out. Work, I’m fine and sharp, at home, not so much. And nothing has really changed in at least 2 years. Getting accolades at work now, but I don’t think any added stress due to it...
Old 03-17-19, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If youíre anything like me, you feel that you need to do a million things on the couple of days off you get for the weekend. It feel like there isnít enough time in the day, especially on my off-days. Iíd imagine your mind is just trying to do a dozen things at once when you should just be focusing on one or two.

If youre doing fine at work, I wouldnít assume itís ADD. Of course, I have a tendency to think this country is over medicated anyway.
Old 03-17-19, 10:42 PM

I’m pretty sure I’ve had an undiagnosed case since I was a kid, but I also have really bad insomnia. So I worry any ADD meds would exacerbate that.
I guess I could get me a cocktail of uppers and downers, but I really don’t want to die taking a shit one day like Elvis did.
Old 03-18-19, 02:21 AM

Since you're able to focus well at work, yes, it's probably not classical ADD. Since nothing has changed in the last 2 years, also probably not manic depression. So, what does that leave: age might be catching up with you. I can't do as much physically as when I was 20, and when I try, I become tired and ornery, lose focus, and don't complete the tasks. When I go, say, half as fast as when I was 20, I find that not only can I fully complete the tasks, but do them well and get enjoyment out of it. Mentally, I feel that my focusing ability is increased and more honed than when I was 20, but that's another story.

It's true, trying to do seven days' worth of necessary things crammed into a two-day weekend is a recipe for disaster-- trouble focusing on any given task will likely result. And it's a virtual cliff... it feeds on itself, the more you try to correct by accelerating your pace, the more frustrated and more lacking in focus you become.

So, try doing in two weekends what you normally now do in one, and see if there is any difference.
Old 03-18-19, 05:22 AM

If your scabs won't completely heal.
Old 03-18-19, 06:02 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm no doctor, but I might suggest you take a little time and jot down the tasks you need to get accomplished when you have the time, prioritize them, and try to knock out a few of them each day off. Hopefully this might help to keep you focused, give your brain a chance to take a break. If you have tasks written down, your brain doesn't have to continuously cycle through them, hopefully freeing you to concentrate on one thing at a time. Since you're sharp as a tack at work, I wouldn't worry too much about using medication to solve your dilemma at home, and that same medication might do more harm than good while at work. You just have things you need to accomplish in your free time and your brain is doing overtime cycling through all of that stuff. Maybe if your write all those tasks down, then work through as many as you comfortably can each time you have a day off, it will give your brain a chance to concentrate on other things. Also try to leave work at work. Taking that shit home with you won't do you any good at all. You need time for you.
Old 03-18-19, 07:43 AM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
If your scabs won't completely heal.
I see what you did there.

Old 03-18-19, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Could cannabis use be a factor? Not sure how much you use, how regularly and what time of day, and it affects everyone differently, just throwing it out there.
Old 03-18-19, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Could cannabis use be a factor? Not sure how much you use, how regularly and what time of day, and it affects everyone differently, just throwing it out there.

Old 03-18-19, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'm going to throw in a Ding Ding Ding!
Old 03-18-19, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just know that with me I cannot use it during the day, no matter what kind or strain I try. I either get tired, or restless and unfocused (which kind of describes what you are talking about), and either way nothing will get done. Light nighttime use only for me.