Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Felicity Huffman (and dozens of others) arrested/charged with fraud - College Admissions

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Felicity Huffman (and dozens of others) arrested/charged with fraud - College Admissions

Old 03-14-19, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

re: Felicity Huffman (and dozens of others) arrested/charged with fraud - College Admissions

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
I'm sure they have the money. Why put up your own cash when you can let a mortgage bank front the money for you? Assuming her trial doesn't last a year+ having the 2 million in the bank will earn more interest than what they'll be paying back on the loan against a house.
I seriously doubt that. Possibly a wise investment will earn them more, but you're not going to earn more money, simply from interest, than you would be charged to borrow that money.
Old 03-14-19, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

re: Felicity Huffman (and dozens of others) arrested/charged with fraud - College Admissions

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
I seriously doubt that. Possibly a wise investment will earn them more, but you're not going to earn more money, simply from interest, than you would be charged to borrow that money.
Against a house? Any finance manager should be able to provide returns which would exceed the interest of a equity loan on a house for a few (estimation) months. If they own the house outright, I'd imagine they would get a loan for next to no interest.
Old 03-14-19, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Against a house? Any finance manager should be able to provide returns which would exceed the interest of a equity loan on a house for a few (estimation) months. If they own the house outright, I'd imagine they would get a loan for next to no interest.
The house is simply collateral. I don't know what your rates are, in the US, but here on even a 'high interest' savings account, they're giving us around 1%. There are some promotional rates of up to 3%. Even a 1 year GIC is only getting 2.5% from a major bank. I would be very surprised if you could get a secured personal loan for less than 5%.
Old 03-14-19, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah, I get what you're saying. I didn't mean simply having the 2m in a bank account and collecting the minor interest involved. I assumed someone with that much would have a finance manager investing for them. In that scenario, they should be able to get a higher return on the 2m being invested somewhat well versus the interest on the equity loan. Definitely agree with you if the 2m cash was just sitting in a bank account.
Old 03-14-19, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ah, I get what you're saying. I didn't mean simply having the 2m in a bank account and collecting the minor interest involved. I assumed someone with that much would have a finance manager investing for them. In that scenario, they should be able to get a higher return on the 2m being invested somewhat well versus the interest on the equity loan. Definitely agree with you if the 2m cash was just sitting in a bank account.
Yeah, that's why I initially said that possibly a wise investment would earn them more.
Old 03-14-19, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

What the hell are you guys talking about? The $2 million goes to the courts and is held by the courts. They can’t earn interest on that money.
Old 03-14-19, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
What the hell are you guys talking about? The $2 million goes to the courts and is held by the courts. They canít earn interest on that money.
We're talking about them just paying with cash (which we're assuming they have) versus what they did, which was take out a loan against a house to pay the 2m bail and which would be a better route.
Old 03-14-19, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I KNEW IT!!!!!

This explains why Lori Loughlin told Cru Jones he could skip the SAT to race Helltrack! She was gonna get him in anyway!
Old 03-14-19, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

She’s full of bad advice.
Old 03-14-19, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Lori Loughlin fired from all Hallmark projects: https://tvline.com/2019/03/14/lori-l...WB2M4VDmmGmW40
Old 03-14-19, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

At least they let her know in a polite way :
Old 03-14-19, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Lori Loughlin fired from all Hallmark projects: https://tvline.com/2019/03/14/lori-l...WB2M4VDmmGmW40
Expected, but still shocking. She was the network's number one star, headlined their most popular show, and starred in a ton of their movies. Just three weeks ago, I was watching their daily morning show when one of the hosts called her "the queen of Hallmark" on air. She was treated like royalty.
Old 03-14-19, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
The schools are also gonna get sued into the ground, as well.8 elite schools hit with first lawsuit in massive college admissions bribery scam
I'm glad to see that there are some repercussions for this.
Rich kids already have a crazy advantage over everyone else since the their parents can hire them the best tutors, SAT prep programs, etc.
And STILL these parents choose to engage in fraud and bribery to get their lazy and/or dumb kids into a good college, while fucking over other people's kids who are legitimately qualified applicants.

Last edited by brayzie; 03-14-19 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-14-19, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Eat the rich.
Old 03-14-19, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Lori Loughlin was one Hallmark star I never really got around to watching, for whatever reason, and I certainly had no desire to watch now. Good riddance.
Old 03-14-19, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If Loughlin and Huffman were arrested, why haven't their mug shots been released or used in articles? Instead, the news sites use glamor shots for them.
Old 03-14-19, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
If Loughlin and Huffman were arrested, why haven't their mug shots been released or used in articles? Instead, the news sites use glamor shots for them.

Old 03-14-19, 04:16 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
Policies set in place by the Department of Justice and U.S. Marshals Services prohibit either organization from releasing booking photos when a person has already been apprehended
Why the Public Can't See Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin's Mugshots
Old 03-14-19, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well I guess Loughlin doesn’t need to travel back to Canada now.

I guess this means the project she was filming will get scrapped. Shame about all the cast and crew that will lose work now.
Old 03-14-19, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why So Blu?
The Cow
Thanks.

Okay, so because the Department of Justice and U.S Marshals Services are involved, and they have these policies, that's why.
But if they got arrested by a local PD, like when Justin Bieber got caught drag racing, then those mugshots are getting released.
Old 03-14-19, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How did William H. Macy not have anything to do with this - shouldn't he be as complicit as Huffman?
Old 03-14-19, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
How did William H. Macy not have anything to do with this - shouldn't he be as complicit as Huffman?

"I'm cooperating with you here!"
Old 03-14-19, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There’s recordings (or is it emails?) of these two caught in the act. Macy was never recorded.
Old 03-14-19, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Depends on what evidence they find to implicate him. One would assume he would know. Maybe he was smart and made sure nothing could be traced to him.
Old 03-14-19, 04:47 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Depends on what evidence they find to implicate him. One would assume he would know. Maybe he was smart and made sure nothing could be traced to him.
the money with Felicity weren't huge. She may have done this on her own.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.