Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

need advice: a restaurant added a tip to my bill after I paid

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-09-19, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I went to a restaurant inside a mall and paid with a gift card. This gift card was for the mall itself and the restaurant accepted it. I had to sign (similar to as if I paid with credit card) and put a line through the tip line (this was the type of restaurant where you order in a cafeteria style line, get a number and they bring the food to your table; if I should have tipped lets save that conversation for a different time if possible).

A few days later I wanted to check my gift card balance and I now see the total I was charged was more than what I ordered. The bill was $16.xx and I was charged $20.xx.

My questions are:

1) Is there any other explanation besides the guy added a tip after I left? This may be a stretch but I thought I've heard of places like gas stations putting a hold on your card for more than you will pay and then "fixing" the total a few days later? If so how long until the charge is fixed?

2) I know its only a few bucks but if he did add a tip, it bugs me. It's the principle of it all. I'd like to talk to the manager about it (its not inconvenient for me to go back). If so, what should I expect a reasonable response to be? I really don't have any proof to show other than I know what I ordered (2 things) and I can show the total I was charged on the gift card website. Anyone ever been on the other side of this and how did you handle the complaint? Would the manager have a copy of the receipt I signed and would it be really difficult for him to find?

thanks
Old 03-09-19, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: need advice: a restaurant added a tip to my bill after I paid

I have to wonder if the server didn’t add the tip in himself, figuring that since you paid with a gift card that you wouldn’t notice he charged you an extra four bucks.

I would wager that most people don’t check the balances on their gift cards, nor do they keep close track of what they spend on them, so it’s probably a pretty good scam.
Old 03-09-19, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Send them an email and inquire. If that yields nothing, negative reviews work wonders.
Old 03-09-19, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Iíve never worked in a restaurant, so I canít say for sure ... but Iíve always wondered if they pre-authorize for a little more than the bill amount so that you can add the tip after they run the card.

Personally, I always write on that line just so a person canít add anything afterwards. Often I leave the tip in cash and write ďCash tip on tableĒ in the line. If it is a place that I consider a ďnon-tipĒ establishment (it just irks me that they have a tip line in the first place), I will write ďnot full serviceĒ.

No, you shouldnít be expected to tip for table delivery if you stood in line, ordered at a counter, then went and found your own seat.

I guess there isnít any real requirement that I can (quickly) find on who can or cannot be paid ďwaiter/waitress payĒ ... Federal law says it can be applied to any worker expected to make more than $30 a month in tips, with the employer required to make up any shortfall to full minimum wage. My personal presumption is for full service (take my order, deliver my order, and provide service during the meal) in order for me to consider tipping.

You might call the gift card company first, just to ask about any hold. Beyond that, talking to the manager isnít out of line.
Old 03-09-19, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Cheap bastards.
Old 03-10-19, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry, forgot this is Otterville ... I always tip 175% of the total bill and sign the receipt by attaching a pen to the end of my 14 inch penis ... after making sweet love to all the waitresses. Remember, the penis mightier than this word. Or something like that.

Old 03-10-19, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That's better.

As a general rule, I'll tip 70%+ just because I can and to make up for lame tight-asses who pinch pennies. Life's too short.
Old 03-10-19, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Patented Lunatikk advice: burn the place to the ground.
Old 03-10-19, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
Patented Lunatikk advice: burn the place to the ground.
Nuke it from orbit. Itís the only way to be sure.
Old 03-10-19, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Where's Mabuse when we need him? I want to hear how he would have handled this.
Old 03-10-19, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

First, call the restaurant's corporate office to report the crime (it is a crime). Any other course of action dealing with the location will just end up wasting your time over $4.
Second, go on the restaurant's FB and Yelp and tell what happened to you.
Old 03-10-19, 07:41 PM
Suspended

In a rare case I had a pre-auth charge...then 3 days later the actual amount. You may have to go back to place that did the charge if it does not get adjusted.

Get a printout of the amount.

A call to corporate as well, asking for explanation (as another person said).
Old 03-10-19, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Serious response: You're overthinking it. As stated, this "add 20+% tip" on gift card restaurant orders is a known scam. Call corporate and complain, and you should get your entire meal comped. And if you're feeling especially vindictive, find the name of the manager of the restaurant and mention him or her by name to corporate, and call for some action in the hopes of preventing this from happening to future customers. If you've got tons of time to spare, you can further file a complaint with the BBB of the parent company as well.
Old 03-10-19, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
Where's Mabuse when we need him? I want to hear how he would have handled this.
OP you need to go Mabuse on this one
Old 03-10-19, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Can I take a respectful point of contention with some of the suggestions here?

Why would you go crying on social media or immediately bitching at the corporate 800 number before either finding out the answer to the question about the possible hold or contacting the store manager first? That’s just disrespectful and paints you in a bad light.

Sorry, but customers who do crap like that are perceived as just being whiny and looking for undeserved freebies. Companies that kowtow to this type of customer drive me nuts.

If you went to the store and didn’t get resolution, OK, take the next step.
Old 03-10-19, 11:12 PM
Cool New Member

In some cases, the credit card processor automatically adds a hold for the tip on certain transactions. I had an issue when I used a $100 gift card at a restaurant in Napa. The bill was about $90 and I was going to leave the tip in cash. The restaurant tried to run it for $90 but the card got denied because of this auto-hold, which I think was like 20%. Maybe this happened to you with a 25% hold.

Here are some articles on this practice:

https://www.wcpo.com/money/consumer/...add-sneaky-tip

https://clark.com/personal-finance-c...ent-hold-tips/

PS although the hold is supposed to disappear after a while... so maybe this wasn't the case with you.
Old 03-11-19, 05:00 AM

If that "cooked-in" tip autohold is in fact true, it is an abominable practice and sleazy as hell. Reason #2525 to NEVER buy or give gift cards to anyone but your enemies. Cash in hand for a gift is better than ANY gift card. I'm sure hundreds of millions each year are "lost" to the gift card con game -- at the sole and express profit of the companies who partake in the gift card madness. I can't STAND gift cards because of all the bullshit that comes along with them, not a single redeeming quality over straight cash.
Old 03-11-19, 06:10 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

IMHO, the whole concept of tipping has gone WAY off the rails (only in America...). I view most tips merely as an ego boost for the tipper and unnecessary in most cases. Tips for exceptional service are fine, but there needs to be a good enough reason to tip. Tipping just for carrying a bag of food to your table is ridiculous, and automatically slipping themselves a tip for that from your credit card or gift card is a fucking crime.
Old 03-11-19, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting topic. The local sub shop near me always prints receipts with a tip line even though they're take-out only (no delivery and there's only one bench you could eat at inside). When I pick up, I always just leave it blank and sign. They've never done anything shady but I guess they could if they wanted?
Old 03-11-19, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The part that does make sense to me is that if I have a bill that I'm paying with a gift card, shouldn't the amount that is submitted by the merchant already include any tip? Why would they process the tip separately?

And I think some people are misunderstanding... This tip is not automatically added. A 'hold' that would cover the tip is placed on the card. If you wanted to be a cheap bastard, you still don't have to tip.
Old 03-11-19, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I had a restaurant do that once after a I left a tip line blank on a carry out sushi order. I don't leave the tip line blank anymore.
Old 03-11-19, 10:09 AM

How old was the gift card? Many charge a "service fee" after 6 months or a year that gradually eats up the original value. Do you know for sure there was $20 on it to start with? There might have only been $16 on it to begin with, even if you never used it. Someone might have re-gifted it to you. I actually did that for an office dirty santa thing once (I checked to make sure the card had the full value though). Sometimes the phone number on the back that you call to check the balance can list recent transactions and you can tell if the restaurant actually charged $20.
Old 03-11-19, 03:55 PM

I once got charged twice the tip amount i wrote down. and it was 18% too
I wrote an e-mail, called corporate and said what the hell!
Then they asked me "didn't you put this amount as tip" and I said "Yes! that's what i wrote on the receipt" to which they replied "well if you add that to the main cost you get"
So apparently i don't know how to add. Oh the embarrassment
Old 03-11-19, 06:18 PM

Let's say you're a "cheap bastard" and your total billl comes out to $17, and that you attempt to use your $20 gift card to pay for the meal. So, you're thinking "No problem! I'll just tip them only $3 because I'm a cheap bastard, and my meal will be covered by the gift card."

So, if I'm understanding this "scam" correctly, they'll come back and tell you there's insufficient funds on your card, even though you have that $17 AND that extra $3 for the tip -- because of that cooked in "tip tolerance" of 20% would be $3.40 and take the "autohold" amount to $20.40 and so, you'd be denied the sale, and be seen as a criminal trying to get away with murder by the restuarant. How convenient!

Even if the "hold" is only for a few hours (Bullshit-- it should be for a few SECONDS!), you'd still not be able to use that gift card to pay for the meal... unless you waited around for hours at that restaurant after your meal. Whst a load of rubbish!

Or, am I still misunderstanding this ridiculous con game between the merchants, credit card companies and their lowly customers???
Old 03-11-19, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
If that "cooked-in" tip autohold is in fact true, it is an abominable practice and sleazy as hell. Reason #2525 to NEVER buy or give gift cards to anyone but your enemies. Cash in hand for a gift is better than ANY gift card. I'm sure hundreds of millions each year are "lost" to the gift card con game -- at the sole and express profit of the companies who partake in the gift card madness. I can't STAND gift cards because of all the bullshit that comes along with them, not a single redeeming quality over straight cash.
Itís not just gift cards. It can happen with prepaid Visa/MC/Amex. It can happen with credit cards too. I do not know if it will happens with debit cards. It depends on the merchant or the card issuer. I have one card that pre authorities 15% at all hotels. Itís not the hotels because Iíve used different cards at the same hotels that donít to it. It also happens at gas stations too.

Last edited by Kdogg; 03-11-19 at 06:34 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.