Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Americans will need Visa to travel to Europe beginning in 2021 (except U.K. and Ireland)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Americans will need Visa to travel to Europe beginning in 2021 (except U.K. and Ireland)

Old 03-08-19, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

FYI for those here who like to travel to Europe.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/nati...ZJds1LBJP7x9w4

Beginning Jan. 21, 2021, all Americans looking to travel to a European Schengen-zone country, including France, Italy, Portugal, Spain and others, will need ETIAS (European Travel Information and Authorization System) authorization. This includes minors.

For those who have never had to get a visa, a visa is an endorsement placed within a passport that grants the holder official permission to enter, leave or stay in a country for a specified time period.

In order to get one, you'll need a valid passport, credit or debit card and an email account.

The visa is valid for three years and is "multi-entry," so you don't need to apply every time you want to visit.

Obtaining the ETIAS visa should be "affordable, simple and fast," with an estimated one-time cost of just 7 euros or 8 dollars, according to a press release from the European Commission.

"Completing the online application should not take more than 10 minutes with automatic approval being given in over 95% of cases," the release said.

The visa website did not list the cost but said payment must be paid in advance online when applying with the traveler's contact information and passport details. Registration will also include some basic security questions.

The ETIAS is similar to the ESTA, which is what Europeans currently need in order to enter the U.S.

With the impending Brexit deal between the U.K. and the EU, Americans will not need a visa to enter the U.K. or Ireland.

The 26 Schengen member states that will require an ETIAS Visa authorization are:
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Luxembourg
  • Netherlands
  • Germany
  • France
  • Spain
  • Portugal
  • Sweden
  • Finland
  • Denmark
  • Lithuania
  • Latvia
  • Estonia
  • Poland
  • Slovakia
  • Hungary
  • Slovenia
  • Italy
  • Greece
  • Czech Republic
  • Malta
  • Liechtenstein
  • Iceland
  • Norway
  • Switzerland
The visa change also applies to Monaco, San Marino and Vatican City.

Official Visa site and info:

https://www.etiasvisa.com/etias-requirements/americans

US citizens traveling to Europe will shortly need to apply for an ETIAS (European Travel Information and Authorization System) visa which is the new travel visa to visit Europe that will come into effect from 2021. Similar to other countries and regions in the world Europe has recently decided to improve their security level to avoid any further problems with illegal migration and terrorism. This means that from 2021, all Americans traveling to a European Schengen-zone country will be in need of an ETIAS.
Old 03-08-19, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Re: Americans will need Visa to travel to Europe beginning in 2021 (except U.K. and Ireland)

I expected this..

I think it's funny though that it's going to be required in Vatican City.. Nobody checks ID's there.
Old 03-08-19, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Americans will need Visa to travel to Europe beginning in 2021 (except U.K. and Ireland)

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
I think it's funny though that it's going to be required in Vatican City.. Nobody checks ID's there.
It's all done quietly, under the robes.
Old 03-08-19, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
It's all done quietly, under the robes.

Perhaps they'll have one of these guys at an entrance - while he's on break from his job at hotdog on a stick.

Old 03-08-19, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I sense a new superhero movie! Captain... errr... (I got nuthin')
Old 03-08-19, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It seems like this is the EU’s version of the US’s ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization).

Last edited by Kdogg; 03-08-19 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-08-19, 10:01 PM
Admin-Thanos

Sounds like they need to squeeze 7 or 8 Euros out of every American traveler.
Old 03-09-19, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Of course! It's just another travel tax, that will start out low, and increase drastically every year until it reaches egregious levels (hundreds of dollars). Fuck 'em. I'll be curtailing my European travel, and favoring the UK (because, yes, they don't seem to want all that bullshit).

Give 'em an inch, they take a mile every time. This is the most axiomatic truism of all truisms.
Old 03-09-19, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Of course! It's just another travel tax, that will start out low, and increase drastically every year until it reaches egregious levels (hundreds of dollars). Fuck 'em. I'll be curtailing my European travel, and favoring the UK (because, yes, they don't seem to want all that bullshit).

Give 'em an inch, they take a mile every time. This is the most axiomatic truism of all truisms.
You know the US has been doing this to foreign traveler (even from the EU) for years now? The US charges $14.00.
Old 03-09-19, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
You know the US has been doing this to foreign traveler (even from the EU) for years now? The US charges $14.00.
Yes! Now, I guess it's payback time for Europe, AKA: they want their cake, too?
Old 03-09-19, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Then stay home. I'm sure Europe will miss your visit and money but they'll manage.

This visa will apply to Canadians too.
Old 03-09-19, 05:39 AM
Suspended

Of course. One of the reasons why many wanted Brexit: Strong-arming countries with taxes and fees.
Old 03-09-19, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

. Pretty much. It's tit for tat. They decided on this before the last presidential election. They waited for the new administration to see if a deal could be worked out. Apparently not.

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Of course. One of the reasons why many wanted Brexit: Strong-arming countries with taxes and fees.
Again they are only charging it because the US started to. Honestly at 8 euros that probably covers cost. Post Brexit look for the UK to charge a fee also. It will just be a few years later. Again it's tit for tat. And this type of decision won't even make it on a Pro-Brexit list because it's about equal treatment of travelers. I still carry a British passport so I'm intimately aware of the issues but that's for a different thread.
Old 03-09-19, 09:05 AM

Thanks for the heads up.

I’m doing a big Eurotrip this summer. No visas!!

In in the future, my job should take care of any visas. Not that the cost is a big deal.
Old 03-09-19, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yay! Croatia doesn’t require one!!
Old 03-09-19, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

The cost isn't a big deal.. it's relatively cheap. This isn't really about retaliation more than it is about security. They should have done this long ago.

it's much much cheaper than reciprocity fees we used to have to pay in Argentina or whatnot. That was $160. And that was retaliation.
Old 03-09-19, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Scandinavia will require it. Welp, $8 it is!
Old 03-09-19, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post

This visa will apply to Canadians too.
Crap, I was hoping I could avoid this by using my Canadian passport instead of my US one, never mind.
Old 03-09-19, 11:03 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
. Pretty much. It's tit for tat. They decided on this before the last presidential election. They waited for the new administration to see if a deal could be worked out. Apparently not.

Again they are only charging it because the US started to. Honestly at 8 euros that probably covers cost. Post Brexit look for the UK to charge a fee also. It will just be a few years later. Again it's tit for tat. And this type of decision won't even make it on a Pro-Brexit list because it's about equal treatment of travelers. I still carry a British passport so I'm intimately aware of the issues but that's for a different thread.
Ok, I have to admit I thought it was more. Meh, not so triggered by EU. Carry on!
Old 03-09-19, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

This completely ruins my book “Europe on $5 a Day”. Day one and you’re three dollars over budget.
Old 03-09-19, 02:39 PM

This is probably because the US isn't sending their best. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.
Old 03-09-19, 02:57 PM

Canada did the same with their ETA's.
Costs $7CAD per ETA.
Old 03-09-19, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Scandinavia will require it. Welp, $8 it is!
$8 today, $80 tomorrow!

Remember when US passports were "affordable" and then suddenly jumped > 200% after 9/11, and most recently increased AGAIN by a large amount? Sure, it's all "security measures" officially, but 90% of it is bullshit and government bloat, the Feds are always ready with their hand open. Now, the EU is (or, has) joining them.

Yes, I'll be staying home.

In 1975, one could travel Europe on $5 a day, now it's probably a *minimum* of $500 per day, unless you starve and / or become an unwashed, homeless bum during your journey

40 years for 100x inflation! I shudder at the next 40 years. "European Travel: No middle class people Need Apply."

We'll have come full circle from the time before steam (before 1800) when only the rich and private gentlemen "travelled the continent on their European Tour."
Old 03-09-19, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

$8 today, $80 tomorrow!

Remember when US passports were "affordable" and then suddenly jumped > 200% after 9/11, and most recently increased AGAIN by a large amount? Sure, it's all "security measures" officially, but 90% of it is bullshit and government bloat, the Feds are always ready with their hand open. Now, the EU is (or, has) joining them.

Yes, I'll be staying home.

In 1975, one could travel Europe on $5 a day, now it's probably a *minimum* of $500 per day, unless you starve and / or become an unwashed, homeless bum during your journey

40 years for 100x inflation! I shudder at the next 40 years. "European Travel: No middle class people Need Apply."

We'll have come full circle from the time before steam (before 1800) when only the rich and private gentlemen "travelled the continent on their European Tour."

I think I'll probably be dead by the time it gets to $80, so I'm not really really worried about.
Old 03-09-19, 08:21 PM

Yes, I'm truly thankful and glad that I caught the last wave of "affordability" in European travel -- I lived it and loved it on $10 per day in the early '80s -- but even then I cheated by staying at some youth hostels. Then in the '90s I got by on around $40 per day with some creative rationing and lots of Euro Rail and hoofing it. Last time I did the European tour was in '98 and even then I got by with $1000 for a three-week stay and some pretty good meals and reasonable lodgings.

Now, post- 9/11, post Brexit, post EU, forget it! Greed has taken over, and the rich dominate. I suppose one could travel to places like Poland, Romania, Turkey, and Iceland on the "cheap" but nowhere near Paris, Scandinavia, Holland, Germany, Venice for anywhere under $500 per day.

My memories of travelling to all of those places will remain lifelong, and thankfully my wallet is still (mostly) intact!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.