Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Has Anyone Successfully Conquered a Compulsion?

Old 02-26-19, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Has Anyone Successfully Conquered a Compulsion?

Compulsions come in all forms, I know. I've met some people with some strange ones. I personally have always been a nail biter and lately I've been trying to rid myself of the habit. It's something I do without thought, usually when I don't have something to keep my mind busy (slow day at work; a lul at home with not much to do...etc). No luck so far using only will power. I've considered buying those finger gloves that jewelers wear to keep finger prints off items and wearing them at work but I feel like that's a last resort.

Has anyone here taken on a compulsion and came through the other side victorious? What methods did you use?
Old 02-26-19, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Has Anyone Successfully Conquered a Compulsion?

I can't think of any, personally. I do play with my beard a lot but haven't really done anything to stop myself. It's not exactly a big problem, just something I do.

A few years ago, my friend was dumped pretty badly by his fiancee. He was a mess for awhile, understandably but during his funk, he would talk about her a lot in ways that weren't exactly helping him move on. So in an effort to get him to stop talking and thinking about her so he can get over it, we put a rubber band on his wrist. Every time he brought her up, we snapped the rubber band. Every time he zoned out and thought about her, he snapped the rubber band.

I don't know if it really had much effect on him but he swears by it. Even did the same thing after the next girl dumped him.

Noonan, I had another friend who compulsively bit her nails. She started putting a bitter nail polish on so every time she bit her nails, she'd get a literal bad taste in her mouth. That helped her a lot and she stopped biting her nails completely. 'Nail Polish' may not sound too appealing but it works.
Old 02-26-19, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Compulsions come in all forms, I know. I've met some people with some strange ones. I personally have always been a nail biter and lately I've been trying to rid myself of the habit. It's something I do without thought, usually when I don't have something to keep my mind busy (slow day at work; a lul at home with not much to do...etc). No luck so far using only will power. I've considered buying those finger gloves that jewelers wear to keep finger prints off items and wearing them at work but I feel like that's a last resort.

Has anyone here taken on a compulsion and came through the other side victorious? What methods did you use?
You just got to ask yourself why are putting in the bacteria and doo-doo of strangers into your mouth? All the filth accumulates under your nails. Into your mouth it goes. Disgusting isn't it?

It stopped me from doing it.
Old 02-26-19, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

I used to bite my nails but quit cold turkey. Decided Id stop on January 1st 1988 and did.
Old 02-26-19, 02:16 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
I used to bite my nails but quit cold turkey. Decided Id stop on January 1st 1988 and did.
Not exactly the story I was expecting...
Old 02-26-19, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've slowed down considerably from buying DVD/Blu-rays. I got an out-of-state girlfriend, so my disposable cash was going towards her.
Old 02-26-19, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
But he still has every clipping in a jar somewhere in that apartment.
Old 02-26-19, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I also stopped doing it.

Spoiler:
But that's because I was biting other people's nails and I kept getting hit with stuff.
Old 02-26-19, 05:45 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

I haven't fulfilled my compulsion lately. I mean that feeling when you are working throughout the week and you just want some release, and you are so eagerly awaiting the weekend. Then you reach 5:00 on Friday and you take your go-pack and drive for miles, and miles, and miles. You don't want to be anywhere near home. You want adventure someplace new. So you take off in a different direction each week (there have only been 3 other times) and find yourself in a sweet oasis of nature somewhere off the beaten track. You make your camp, have a snack and wait. For there are fellow travelers, those who seek the outdoor life just like you. Those who, unsuspecting, make their camp close by. You sleep - only for awhile - and then awaken at 2:00 That's the Appointed Hour. That's when things get done. So you slowly approach a tent with 1 or 2 people in it, and you join with them in the ultimate celebration of life - which is that of death. You bury their bodies in a ravine miles away, and then drive back home. It takes most of the weekend. Sure, I'm tired when I have to get up for work on Monday, bu it's a good kind of tired.

I haven't had to feed that compulsion in - oh about two weeks.
Old 02-26-19, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Like others, I used to bite my fingernails (and toenails), but stopped long ago, possibly due to my meds. Now, I cut my nails. Oddly though, I do still pick at and eat the skin around my fingernails, usually down to the raw flesh or until they bleed. Strange that I was able to stop the one compulsion, but not the other.
Old 02-26-19, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
Good for you.

Originally Posted by Dan View Post

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
I also stopped doing it.

Spoiler:
But that's because I was biting other people's nails and I kept getting hit with stuff.
For a minute there you had me at masturbation.

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
Like others, I used to bite my fingernails (and toenails), but stopped long ago, possibly due to my meds. Now, I cut my nails. Oddly though, I do still pick at and eat the skin around my fingernails, usually down to the raw flesh or until they bleed. Strange that I was able to stop the one compulsion, but not the other.
Wow Do you enjoy the pain? Sheesh.

I used to bite my nails down to half way which made the tips of my fingers look odd. Kinda like ET fingers They always told me in school I would never find a girl with fingers like that. They were right.
Old 02-26-19, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
Wow Do you enjoy the pain? Sheesh.
I think I do have some subconscious masochistic tendencies, but the finder-chewing is just a nervous habit.
I used to bite my nails down to half way which made the tips of my fingers look odd. Kinda like ET fingers They always told me in school I would never find a girl with fingers like that. They were right.
Same here. Yes, when one chews one's fingernails, the ends of the fingers become kind of squared-off and lumpy. When did you manage to stop?
Old 02-26-19, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I do have some subconscious masochistic tendencies, but the finder-chewing is just a nervous habit.
I like pain too (I feel ya on masochist lol) but finger cuts hurt like hell.

Same here. Yes, when one chews one's fingernails, the ends of the fingers become kind of squared-off and lumpy. When did you manage to stop?
Exactly!

I stopped years ago right after I met my first girlfriend. It's like I no longer cared for biting fingernails. That was my worst habit. Didn't think I would stop but I ended up breaking the habit without any remorse.

Many of my friends in the past made fun that I couldn't peel off tape. Certain things you need nails for.
Old 02-27-19, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Especially if you dip them in vinegar. I used to pull my nose hairs with tweezers, 20-or-so at a time. That was very painful and induced tears and violent sneezing, but I stopped when I realized the hair grows back faster that way than when one snips it. About 20 years ago, I cut out some of my moles with nail clippers. Momentary sharp pain and some bleeding. I don't know why I did that (I'm not a "cutter"), though there was a protruding one on my neck that bothered me, and it's nice to have it gone. I also sometimes like to cut off the callused skin on my right heel and big toe. That's deeply satisfying, but painful to step on if one goes down to the raw flesh. One thing that baffles me completely from a biological perspective is why callused skin grows back as callused skin rather than normal skin.
I stopped years ago right after I met my first girlfriend. It's like I no longer cared for biting fingernails. That was my worst habit. Didn't think I would stop but I ended up breaking the habit without any remorse.
Good for you! There's nothing to be gained, except easing nervous energy. I wouldn't know, but I assume having a girlfriend can ameliorate some of that nervousness. Do you have a new better half?
Many of my friends in the past made fun that I couldn't peel off tape. Certain things you need nails for.
Definitely! I don't like them to get too long, though, because I don't like to have dirt underneath.
Old 02-27-19, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One thing that baffles me completely from a biological perspective is why callused skin grows back as callused skin rather than normal skin.

Also you talking about tweezing your nose reminded me of Mr. Bean

Good for you! There's nothing to be gained, except easing nervous energy. I wouldn't know, but I assume having a girlfriend can ameliorate some of that nervousness. Do you have a new better half?
You right there isn't. Especially trying to peel off a label or tape. I'm a single half now.

Definitely! I don't like them to get too long, though, because I don't like to have dirt underneath.
Yeah it can get nasty. I'm very picky when it comes to my nails and my teeth. Got to stay fresh for the ladies Norm
Old 02-27-19, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My compulsion used to be to stalk Bandoman, but then he turned out to be a fucking Ted Bundy clone.
Old 02-28-19, 09:15 AM
Admin-Thanos

I still keep visiting this place, so I guess the answer is no.
Old 02-28-19, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
I still keep visiting this place, so I guess the answer is no.
I managed to avoid it for over half a year, but look at me now.

(I feel shame...)
Old 02-28-19, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
I managed to avoid it for over half a year, but look at me now.

(I feel shame...)
I saw your posts in the Political forum. Welcome back. I missed you.
Old 02-28-19, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah it can get nasty. I'm very picky when it comes to my nails and my teeth. Got to stay fresh for the ladies Norm
I wish you success in finding a new companion. There's no hope for me.
Old 02-28-19, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wish you success in finding a new companion. There's no hope for me.
Thanks amigo. Here is hoping 2019 brings you and I some sweet tulip.
Old 02-28-19, 07:21 PM
Suspended

Exactly!

My solution was biting my gf's fingernails.
Old 02-28-19, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^
Old 03-01-19, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

About 20 years ago, I cut out some of my moles with nail clippers. Momentary sharp pain and some bleeding. I don't know why I did that (I'm not a "cutter"), though there was a protruding one on my neck that bothered me, and it's nice to have it gone.
I've never shared this with anyone. But since you posted... I once did this with a tiny protruding varicose vein on my thigh. There was a lot of pressure and it kinda hurt (like a dull pain). I was bored one day and thought I'd give it a snip, thinking it would relieve the pressure and maybe force a change in the blood vessel. Blood shot out of my leg for about 30 minutes before I decided to run and get stitches. Like this little stream of blood was shooting out a good 2-3 feet. After a half hour, I was worried it would never stop. It cost me $700 fucking dollars, and was embarrassing to tell the doctor what I did. I felt so stupid about it I never told anyone.

I've never had many compulsions. You can often find me talking to myself at a very low level. I'm an introvert and wish I could think less. But I don't see a real problem with either of those things.
Old 03-01-19, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for all the replies everyone (both serious and otter-worthy). I found one of those bitter items to try which isn't an actual polish. Dries matte with no smell. We'll see if that helps.

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
You can often find me talking to myself at a very low level. I'm an introvert and wish I could think less. But I don't see a real problem with either of those things.
This is me as well. I've had a couple times where I realized I was acting frustrated with my wife only because she was talking and "interrupting" my racing thoughts. I've had to explain to her what's happening.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.