Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Chuck E. Cheese’s “recycled slices” ?

Old 02-13-19, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Chuck E. Cheese’s “recycled slices” ?

I really hope is not true. I am planning a birthday party this Saturday for my son at Chuckee... Not that he will notice, but I will think twice before eating it

Chuck E. Cheese joined the long list of food-based conspiracy theories this week after a YouTube video laid out the case that the popular birthday party destination recycles old, uneaten slices to reheat as part of new pies.

In the video, YouTuber Shane Dawson investigates the conspiracy by visiting the combination pizza-parlor-arcade and ordering two pizzas. He observes that one of the pies — half pepperoni, half plain — “appears to be two different pizzas sliced in half and pushed together to resemble a whole pie,” according to Eater.

The pizza chain wanted that conspiracy — um — chucked.

“No conspiracies here — our pizzas are made to order and we prepare our dough fresh in restaurant, which means that they’re not always perfectly uniform in shape, but always delicious,” a non-animatronic Chuck E. Cheese’s spokesperson said.
https://www.aol.com/article/finance/...pies/23668660/

https://thetakeout.com/chuck-e-chees...son-1832590781
Old 02-13-19, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Chuck E. Cheese’s “recycled slices” ?

So the simple solution is to not order a half-n-half pizza?

We've never run into that issue. Their pizza surprisingly isn't bad, and almost always jigsaws back together.
Old 02-13-19, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wait, so the theory is that instead of baking a whole pizza, they go around and take slices off the tables and assemble half a pizza, and bake half a pizza? What?
Old 02-13-19, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is it such a bad thing if you order a half/half if they just make two full pies, give you half of each, and use the rest for slice orders?
Old 02-13-19, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Is it such a bad thing if you order a half/half if they just make two full pies, give you half of each, and use the rest for slice orders?
I cannot believe in all my time on this earth that never even occurred to me lol. You are right, that's pretty reasonable.
Old 02-13-19, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Recycled food in any restaurant is probably more common than we know.
Old 02-13-19, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just order the pizza uncut. Problem solved.
Old 02-13-19, 04:06 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
Just order the pizza uncut. Problem solved.
That's what she said.
Old 02-13-19, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Originally Posted by GMan2819 View Post
As long as it never left the kitchen before being repurposed and isn't noticeably less fresh, I think it would be acceptable to most folks.

Old 02-13-19, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Of all the things to worry about. That your low end pizza is cheap.
Old 02-13-19, 04:56 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So Shane Dawson (whoever) makes a YouTube video about a strange looking half & half pizza (because nobody makes 2 pizzas, cuts them in half and puts 2 odd halves together), manufactures a conspiracy theory about recycled pizza, and automatically it's newsworthy and everybody buys into it hook, line, and sinker? Sounds about right.
Old 02-13-19, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
That's what I would have assumed.
Then again the photo of the pizza with all these irregular sized pizza slices put together looks weird.
But it seems like it would be more trouble than it's worth to reuse left over pizza slices and have that be a company policy.

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
So Shane Dawson (whoever) makes a YouTube video about a strange looking half & half pizza (because nobody makes 2 pizzas, cuts them in half and puts 2 odd halves together), manufactures a conspiracy theory about recycled pizza, and automatically it's newsworthy and everybody buys into it hook, line, and sinker? Sounds about right.
Yeah, I kinda feel bad if something like this hurt their business and it's based on a some random YouTuber just assuming they're reusing discarded food.
Old 02-13-19, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Also, Chuck E. Cheese is still an operating franchise?
Old 02-13-19, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This gives "pizzagate" a whole new meaning.
Old 02-13-19, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have not been there in decades
Old 02-13-19, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GMan2819 View Post
Gross. Especially with Door Dash I can see that being common place. Because there is no presentation when you’re getting scrambled eggs in a styrofoam container.
Old 02-13-19, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have kids, I've been to Chuck E Cheese recently. And their pizza is not bad. Must be the recycling.
Old 02-13-19, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

First, such a practice would be against sanitaton laws and regulations in any given spot in the United States. Not to say an unscrupulous business owner wouldn’t try it, but the local health department would have the place locked down if this practice was discovered.

Second, I’m glad this YouTube-wannabe-celebrity has gotten his name out there. Now I hope the Chuck E. Cheese company sues him into oblivion. It would be great if they pulled security footage and have him on camera Frankensteining the pizza himself.

Third, it’s been a long time since I’ve been to one, but the last time I was at our local CEC it was pretty much a cesspool. It needed a major cleaning and a modernized facelift. That said, the food was decent (for low end pizza).
Old 02-13-19, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Chuck E. Cheese is a franchise so the quality will vary from place to place. To say this is a franchise-wide thing is very unrealistic. Maybe one franchise does it, and the focus should be on that one. Some owners are just assholes, and this goes to any franchise. Also, of course the half-half will look different. They probably cook two pizzas and then put the remaining halves together. Not necessarily bad, if the pizzas are still fresh and aren't being used. For those who complain...it's CEC (kinda like complaining the beans in your Taco Bell burrito are from a not-so-fresh batch of beans), so you'll probably want to specify that you want the entire pizza cooked with half-half ingredients on it, and not parts from another pizza, even though they were made at the same time.

P.S. Haven't been to a CEC in over 20 years. There's a reason for that. Never did like their pizza per se (it wasn't bad but just wasn't something I preferred and the sauce was odd), and preferred something else.
Old 02-13-19, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike View Post
Also, Chuck E. Cheese is still an operating franchise?
​​​​​​New ones have been opening here and crushing it
Old 02-13-19, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
I heard the leftover kids were being used in the basement prostitution ring!
Old 02-13-19, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I could maybe see a single franchise or lazy employees doing something like this from time to time, but not as a company policy.
Old 02-13-19, 10:29 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

I ordered a half-cheese/half-pepperoni pizza from Dominos a few months back and it was pretty obvious they just made two pizzas, cut them in half, then put two halves together. Probably so the employees could say "oops" and eat the other eight slices.

The amount I care is about... hmmm... zero. Let 'em eat. They're (likely) barely making a livable wage and I'm some schmuck spending disposable income on some seasoned cardboard at 5x the price of the ingredients and labor combined, and I'm supposed to make a stink about them playin' the game so they have a meal at the expense of a 2.8 billion dollar business? No thanks. Let 'em eat. (edit: Dominos made 2.8B in 2017. Looks like CEC raked in 886M. They're both doing just fine I guess.)

Also, just for what it's worth, some dumbass YouTuber with shitty "Content" and twenty million subs is a bigger celebrity than most of us will ever understand. Just because we don't get it (and I assure you, I don't get this guy's fucking deal and he seems like trash to me), doesn't mean his fame isn't real.
Old 02-14-19, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Also, just for what it's worth, some dumbass YouTuber with shitty "Content" and twenty million subs is a bigger celebrity than most of us will ever understand. Just because we don't get it (and I assure you, I don't get this guy's fucking deal and he seems like trash to me), doesn't mean his fame isn't real.

Shane Dawson is one of the few most-famous Youtube personalities. I've never watched one of his videos. But I know who he is. Though I guess you could name off some famous pop stars and I'd never know who they are.

This is kind of a silly baitclick topic I'd expect from BuzzFeed. Still fun to read about.

When I was a kid, my dad had a story of how a local Chinese restaurant would throw unused tea back into a pot. And I would guess they probably do the same with partial plates of fried rice and whatever else. It all gets stirred up and you'd never know. He also worked at a food plant, and had a story of a rat that ended up being processed into the food. Nom noms. But it gets so diluted you'd never know.

Watch some of the Chef Ramsey shows. Some restaurants are gross. They're small businesses. And margins are razor thin. Unless you're a pro, you'd never know how bad some kitchens are.
Old 02-14-19, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought the big deal with Chuck E. Cheeses were the parent fights. This seems mild . . .

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.