Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: What do you think of using Dr. prefix when you have a PH.D.?
Lame, you aren't medical doctor, so don't do it.
50.00%
Heck, you spent all that money on a degree, add what you want to your name.
37.50%
Only Twikoff is a Doctor
12.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Using Dr. prefix when you have a PH.D?

Old 02-11-19, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Using Dr. prefix when you have a PH.D?

I find it kinda lame, how about you?
Old 02-11-19, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Using Dr. prefix when you have a PH.D?

Reeks of unearned arrogance.
Old 02-11-19, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post
I totally agree. I just saw a person in my industry (technology) use it and thought it was lame. I get it, you are smart. But you don't do medicine. Sorry Doctor!
Old 02-11-19, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm kind of tossed... I didn't have a problem with referring to my university profs as Dr. McKay, Dr. Dawes, etc.

If someone introduced themselves to me as Dr. Smith, in an everyday situation, and they weren't an MD, I would think that wasn't right. At the same time, depending on the circumstances, I'd also probably ask them what type of doctor they are, just to clear it up.

In written form, it should be, as an example, John Smith, PhD. If I read Dr. John Smith, I would expect them to be an MD.

The other thing I don't like is 'other' doctors... Doctor of Chiropractic, for example.
Old 02-11-19, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Technically, they are doctors, but doctors of philosophy, not medicine. I disagree vehemently with funkyryno that it's "unearned", but it does smack of pomposity. Most doctorates do the John Smith, Ph.D. thing, but again, only in instances where it's relevant, as also holds true for MDs.
In Germany, it was, and might still be, common for those with doctoral degrees to label even personal correspondence with "Herr Doktor Professor", which is eye-rollingly conceited.
Old 02-11-19, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Didn’t we have a thread about this before? This sounds very familiar.
Old 02-11-19, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
I'm kind of tossed... I didn't have a problem with referring to my university profs as Dr. McKay, Dr. Dawes, etc.

If someone introduced themselves to me as Dr. Smith, in an everyday situation, and they weren't an MD, I would think that wasn't right. At the same time, depending on the circumstances, I'd also probably ask them what type of doctor they are, just to clear it up.

In written form, it should be, as an example, John Smith, PhD. If I read Dr. John Smith, I would expect them to be an MD.

The other thing I don't like is 'other' doctors... Doctor of Chiropractic, for example.
Ha, we simultaneously used the same generic name.
Old 02-11-19, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
I did a massive search before posting this. I thought so too, but couldn't find it.
Old 02-11-19, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I kinda agree with most of this. My a few of my professors are Dr. ______ and I get that. I know they aren't medical doctors. But for a guy just out there to call himself Dr John Doe, Chief Bore at XYZ company, is pompous.

Edited to add: Checking the guys LinkedIn, he does not refer to himself as a Dr. (it's under education, PH.D.) however in text descriptions that are not really bios or wordy, he's listed as Dr. John Doe.
Old 02-11-19, 05:23 PM

I work with several PhD's. None of them use the Dr. prefix. I'll sometimes to someone as "Dr. _____" to tweak them a bit.
Old 02-11-19, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In academia, yes. In medicine, yes. The rest of the time, no.

My sister is a professor and a competitive runner. She doesn't go around the marathon crowd and introduce herself as Dr. Smith.
Old 02-11-19, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Only when trying to get a reservation. “Yes, I’d like a table for DOCTOR Hercules Longdong.”
Old 02-11-19, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In specific settings, it’s ok, like if you’re giving a speech or on your book cover. Otherwise seems pretentious. In my office, I think at least 4 out 9 are PhD’s, it’s not a secret as it’s somewhat useful in an academc setting, but no one who knows any of them calls them that and it is pretty weird when someone comes in and asks for Dr... A lotnof people do seem to call the College President by Dr, but I think that’s a special case.

My wife’s a veterinarian, used to never use it, but now mostly uses it at work with clients (although most places she works the staff want to use that too), no other place or time.

Last edited by Ginwen; 02-11-19 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-11-19, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
Yeah, wasn't it about email or something like that?
Old 02-11-19, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Slightly off the subject, but I do believe it to be ok to ask "What's up, Doc?" when greeting these individuals.
Old 02-11-19, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

When I was in kindergarten, the school superintendent was Dr. Somethingorother.

And I was afraid he’d come into the classroom and give me a shot.
Old 02-11-19, 07:36 PM
Suspended

Since you paid the outrageous $$$ to get it, use it every goddamn moment you can.
Old 02-11-19, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
Ha, we simultaneously used the same generic name.
Great Canadian minds think alike, eh?

I actually initially had Dr. X, but I wanted a first name and a surname, so I changed it to John Smith.
Old 02-11-19, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I is a high school gradjeeut. so take this as you will. I think the old etiquette rule is not to use the Doctor title socially unless you're an MD. So using it in a professional setting would be okay.
Old 02-11-19, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 02-12-19, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

People often assume that if someone is a doctor, it means they are some sort of medical doctor; but it does also refer to other educational disiplines as well. In a profession setting it may be ok to refer to someone with the doctor prefix, but I would never refer to someone with the doctor prefix in a person setting even if that person insisted. If they had a problem with it, I really wouldn't care. The same would go for someone insisting on being referred to as "Maestro" or as "Captain" if they were a pilot. Same goes for those that have a high military rank.

Same thing goes for royals of other countries. To me it would seem if a royal of another country visited the U.S., they have no power in the U.S. so referring to them as 'Your Heiness", would be like you were pledging alegience to their country over your own. A few years back William and Kate came to the U.S. and met with some American celebrity. A big news story came out of it that said the celebrity broke British royal protocol in some way during the meeting. My first though was they are in the U.S., their royal status means nothing here and they have no real power here so no protocol was broken.
Old 02-12-19, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I work in academia and have a doctorate. Students generally address me as "Doctor" or "Professor". But to even think of expecting people outside of the academic setting to use those titles seems incredibly obnoxious.

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
In Germany, it was, and might still be, common for those with doctoral degrees to label even personal correspondence with "Herr Doktor Professor", which is eye-rollingly conceited.
Herr Doktor Professor ... I love it!!! Now I know what I want everyone to address me as from this point forward!
Old 02-12-19, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've got a Bachelors degree and that was a bitch. As far as I'm concerned anybody who can successfully complete a PH.D can call themselves anything they want.
Old 02-12-19, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Why is it "unearned"? A doctorate is a doctorate. If you're annoyed by this, call "doctors" physicians. A "doctor" has historically meant an "authority" of any certain subject, not necessarily medicine.
Old 02-12-19, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Unearned arrogance? No. Earned arrogance? Sure.

Depends on the situation to me. If you're introducing yourself as "Dr." to me at a party, you're probably a douche. If you're my professor or my medical doctor, you should be called "Dr."

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.