Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Why do people put ads on Craiglist to sell things and never respond

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-29-19, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Why do people advertise randon items for sale on Craigslist and never respond when someone that's interested sends them a message? I've responded to may items on Craigslist over the year and at least 75% of the time the seller never responds back. Even if I respond within a minute of them placing the ad and let them know I can pick it up anytime for the exact price they listed it for, i most often don't get a response. I get that sometimes it may go into their spam folder, but 3 out 4 seems really high. A seller would have to figure to check their smap folders after a while if they don't get responses.

I've even listed things on Craigslist and someone will message me that they want to buy it. I often respond with contact info within a few minutes but then never hear back. Seems like the website is more of a waste of time than anything else. I can't imagine theat many transaction are even fulfilled on their site.
Old 01-29-19, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Why do people put ads on Craiglist to sell things and never respond

Quick response offering full price: "Damn, I should have listed it for more."

No idea.
Old 01-29-19, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How did you attempt to contact them? Was there a phone number in the listing? Although Craigslist provides an anonymous email system, I've found that most people that use Craigslist don't want to use it, they want you to call or text them.
Old 01-29-19, 02:34 PM
Suspended

Item probably already sells and they don't care about responding to anyone else after it sells. Basically, "Screw you, I got paid."
Old 01-29-19, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Quick response offering full price: "Damn, I should have listed it for more."
That has happened to me on eBay many times. "I don't want to overprice and have it never sell; I think this is a good price." 20sec later, Your Item has Sold!
Old 01-29-19, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
How did you attempt to contact them? Was there a phone number in the listing? Although Craigslist provides an anonymous email system, I've found that most people that use Craigslist don't want to use it, they want you to call or text them.
The ones that don't respond don't have phone numbers. They just have it where you can reply by email.
Old 01-29-19, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hi, is item still available?
Old 01-29-19, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Item probably already sells and they don't care about responding to anyone else after it sells. Basically, "Screw you, I got paid."
I suspect this is the #1 reason right here. I tend to price things to move on Craigslist and often get a substantial number of replies within the first five minutes. I go out of my way to reply to people and tell them it is spoken for and/or that I will contact them if the other three people don't come through or whatever, but there have been times when I stopped responding due to volume. I would imagine that a lot of people don't bother responding to anyone after the first potential buyer at all.
Old 01-29-19, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did you kindly offer to have your agent send $2000 and arrange for shipping?
Old 01-29-19, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Because they're dicks. /thread
Old 01-29-19, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
I suspect this is the #1 reason right here. I tend to price things to move on Craigslist and often get a substantial number of replies within the first five minutes. I go out of my way to reply to people and tell them it is spoken for and/or that I will contact them if the other three people don't come through or whatever, but there have been times when I stopped responding due to volume. I would imagine that a lot of people don't bother responding to anyone after the first potential buyer at all.
I sometimes think that too; but a number of times I get no response, but the seller will repost the exact same thing a few weeks later for less money and still won't respond to messages from the new post.
Old 01-29-19, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There was a car dealership quite a distance from me a few years ago. I saw ad on Craigslist and called and made arrangements to go see it. When I got there, the guy was nowhere to be found. I found the car and went into office and explained and they told me he had left for the day. Woman told me she couldn’t find keys. I asked her if she could call him and get him there but she said he lived an hour away, which is funny because so did I. Assholes
Old 01-29-19, 06:45 PM

I only respond to people I can find on social media.
Old 01-29-19, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I have the opposite problem. I'm using LetGo and I'll get plenty of interest on items but no one ever follows through with a purchase.

Them: "Is it still available?"
Me: Yes.
Them: "Would you take $x.xx?"
Me: Sure. When do you want to meet?
Me: hello?
Me: Bueller?

I had a PS4 controller on there before Christmas and I shit you not, over the course of 3 weeks got 2-3 DOZEN people wanting it but zero would follow through. Within that group, there were 2-3 (not even kidding) that wanted me to deliver the item :30-:45 minutes away and crossing a $4 toll bridge (each way). I'm going to sell you a $25 controller, pay $8 in tolls, spend my money on gas and an hour+ delivering it? What the fuck is wrong with people?
Old 01-29-19, 07:29 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

I close the ad and respond to everyone only after completing the sale at the local bank.
Old 01-29-19, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Rape / murder. Either fear of it, or it already happened. Or both rape and murder, but not necessarily in that specific order.
Old 01-29-19, 10:38 PM

When I sold a few things on craigslist, I sometimes got a few people responding to the ad by saying they were "interested" in what I was selling. I ignored them. If they want to buy it, they should make an offer.
Old 01-29-19, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Phillips View Post
When I sold a few things on craigslist, I sometimes got a few people responding to the ad by saying they were "interested" in what I was selling. I ignored them. If they want to buy it, they should make an offer.
If you have an item listed on Craigslist for a certain price and someone responds saying they are interested in buying it, why exactly would you want ignore them? It's not like Ebay or Amazon where you ad an item to your cart and pay for it online.
Old 01-30-19, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They sold it already and just ignore everyone else.
Old 01-30-19, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Then they should delete the ad.
Old 01-30-19, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
If you have an item listed on Craigslist for a certain price and someone responds saying they are interested in buying it, why exactly would you want ignore them? It's not like Ebay or Amazon where you ad an item to your cart and pay for it online.
Because that's all they say. They don't ask for any more information, or anything. They just say they're interested. In my opinion, if someone is serious, they'll ask questions, make an offer, want to see it, etc. Not just say they're interested.

Old 01-30-19, 08:15 AM

Because that's all they say. They don't ask for any more information, or anything. They just say they're interested. In my opinion, if someone is serious, they'll ask questions, make an offer, want to see it, etc. Not just say they're interested.
I'll usually reply to an ad saying "I'm interested and would like to buy. Please contact me at (email) or call/text me at (phone number). Thanks". I don't see a need to write a novel when I'm responding to a Craigslist ad.
This past Christmas I listed something on Craigslist. I responded to everyone that inquired about the item even if they just said they were "interested in it". If I tried to pick and choose whom I thought was sincere, I could have easily lost out on selling the item. Once it sold I pulled the ad down.
Old 01-30-19, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
I'll usually reply to an ad saying "I'm interested and would like to buy. Please contact me at (email) or call/text me at (phone number). Thanks". I don't see a need to write a novel when I'm responding to a Craigslist ad.
This past Christmas I listed something on Craigslist. I responded to everyone that inquired about the item even if they just said they were "interested in it". If I tried to pick and choose whom I thought was sincere, I could have easily lost out on selling the item. Once it sold I pulled the ad down.
The problem is these people don't even say that much. It's just "I'm interested in ________". That's it. IMO that's not a serious buyer.
Old 01-30-19, 12:10 PM

The problem is these people don't even say that much. It's just "I'm interested in ________". That's it. IMO that's not a serious buyer.
I usually put more than one sentence and add contact info. But they may just message you that and are waiting for you to contact them with info on how to buy them. I always respond when selling something regardless of the message on Craigslist because why turn down the potential opportunity to make the sale.

Sometimes I'll get a message that I might find a little odd, but I'll respond anyway to see what happens. Once I got a message for something I was selling and my mother-in-law got the exact same message for something different she was sell. I responded anyway because it only takes a few seconds I never heard from them, but took the chance to try and sell what I ad on there. I eventually sold it quick enough, but if I tried to cherry pick which messages I responded to it would have been much more difficult. Sometimes I'll get some random message on Ebay and I think he buyer is playing around, but I still respond and sometimes I'll make a sale for it. I guess it depends on how determined one is to sell what they are listing.
Old 01-31-19, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
Then they should delete the ad.
Easy for you to say. You've probably got file cabinets with archives of every CraigsList ad ever published.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.