Reload this Page >

Why do people put ads on Craiglist to sell things and never respond

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Why do people put ads on Craiglist to sell things and never respond

Old 01-31-19, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Why do people put ads on Craiglist to sell things and never respond

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
I have the opposite problem. I'm using LetGo and I'll get plenty of interest on items but no one ever follows through with a purchase.
Yup. Been there. When I moved, there was some old furniture I had no interest in bringing to my new place. Put it up on CL for FREE. Got a few interested parties, so we arranged a meetup time/date. Went all the way to my old place (20 miles away) and they never showed. Ended up paying one of those junk haulers $75 to take it away.
Old 01-31-19, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Yup. Been there. When I moved, there was some old furniture I had no interest in bringing to my new place. Put it up on CL for FREE. Got a few interested parties, so we arranged a meetup time/date. Went all the way to my old place (20 miles away) and they never showed. Ended up paying one of those junk haulers $75 to take it away.
You can check with your city trash service. They will sometimes take bulky items like furniture for free.
Old 01-31-19, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sometimes when you reply by CL email, it goes into the spam, so they don't see your message. Other people are dicks who just can't be bothered to take the ad down.

A while back I wanted to get a TV for the bedroom and somebody put one of those "moving, need to sell today for cheap" ads up with a phone number. I texted them over and over, and called them leaving messages. Finally, they texted back something like "Hey asshole. We sold the TV stop bothering us." So I texted back, " All you had to do was reply to the first message that the TV was sold." They responded "FUCK YOU"
Old 01-31-19, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
Sometimes when you reply by CL email, it goes into the spam, so they don't see your message. Other people are dicks who just can't be bothered to take the ad down.

A while back I wanted to get a TV for the bedroom and somebody put one of those "moving, need to sell today for cheap" ads up with a phone number. I texted them over and over, and called them leaving messages. Finally, they texted back something like "Hey asshole. We sold the TV stop bothering us." So I texted back, " All you had to do was reply to the first message that the TV was sold." They responded "FUCK YOU"

I'm on their side. Texting them over and over and leaving multiple messages is obnoxious and makes people less likely to sell to you. Maybe they got a ton of offers about it and didn't feel like responding "sold" to every single one?
Old 01-31-19, 10:09 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

All they had to do is reply back with a "It's sold" to the first message or phone call and all that could've been avoided.
Old 01-31-19, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
I'm on their side. Texting them over and over and leaving multiple messages is obnoxious and makes people less likely to sell to you. Maybe they got a ton of offers about it and didn't feel like responding "sold" to every single one?
They put an ad up on CL that said they were moving and had to sell the TV that day.
It was appropriate to badger them because the ad made it clear that the sale was time sensitive. (them: "I need to sell this NOW" me: "I am ready to come NOW"). I figured they sold it but I wanted to be obnoxious because I hate fuck-wads that can't follow the simplest rules of civil interaction.

You put up a CL ad to sell something asap. I don't give a fuck if you get 100 interests. People are texting you, just reply "sold tv". How fucking hard is that. Also TAKE DOWN THE FUCKING AD!!!

Maybe they did not feel like replying to each response, BUT THAT IS WHAT NORMAL POLITE PEOPLE DO FOR FUCKS SAKE!!

If you can't be bothered to respond to interested buyers with a six letter reply, then you are a fucking poor excuse for a human being trying to sell something.

Maybe those fuckers were moving into a house. Someday they can have a yard sale and turn the hose on people that show up.
Old 01-31-19, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
They put an ad up on CL that said they were moving and had to sell the TV that day.
It was appropriate to badger them because the ad made it clear that the sale was time sensitive. (them: "I need to sell this NOW" me: "I am ready to come NOW"). I figured they sold it but I wanted to be obnoxious because I hate fuck-wads that can't follow the simplest rules of civil interaction.

You put up a CL ad to sell something asap. I don't give a fuck if you get 100 interests. People are texting you, just reply "sold tv". How fucking hard is that. Also TAKE DOWN THE FUCKING AD!!!

Maybe they did not feel like replying to each response, BUT THAT IS WHAT NORMAL POLITE PEOPLE DO FOR FUCKS SAKE!!

If you can't be bothered to respond to interested buyers with a six letter reply, then you are a fucking poor excuse for a human being trying to sell something.

Maybe those fuckers were moving into a house. Someday they can have a yard sale and turn the hose on people that show up.
Yeah you sound like a pro in "civil interaction".
Old 02-01-19, 09:22 PM

I run into a lot of sellers on ebay that don't answer simple questions. I'm not bidding on items where they know they'll get their money from other bidders--this is for some Buy It Now stuff. The item just stays out there forever because they won't answer me.
Old 02-01-19, 09:56 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Before I buy or bid on something at Ebay, if their listing doesn't answer the questions I have about their item, I ask about it. Most Ebayers welcome questions, would actually prefer you ask questions rather than sell an item to someone who was expecting one thing and received something other than what they were expecting. If the Ebayer doesn't answer my message, I may message them again a day or two later, just in case they didn't get the first one. If they still don't answer, I'll go elsewhere for the item. Doesn't happen very often but it does happen. Some sellers just can't be bothered to answer questions, and to them I say your loss.....fuck 'em.
Old 02-03-19, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by sportsfan64 View Post
I run into a lot of sellers on ebay that don't answer simple questions. I'm not bidding on items where they know they'll get their money from other bidders--this is for some Buy It Now stuff. The item just stays out there forever because they won't answer me.
I got a response from a seller today saying they were busy from working all week and couldn't respond earlier. The auction ended 3 days ago. They still managed to have other auctions going and list new ones when I'd originally asked my question.