Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Necco’s SweetHearts may be gone, but they weren’t the only conversation hearts game

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Necco’s SweetHearts may be gone, but they weren’t the only conversation hearts game

Old 01-29-19, 05:58 AM
Political Exile

I bought some of these Brach's candies yesterday at Target. The flavors listed on the front of my package are wintergreen, banana, lemon, orange, cherry, and grape. Overall I am very pleased with these.

I think these are the same flavors that Necco hearts used to be before Necco switched to other flavors - I think the new Necco flavors are blue raspberry, apple, and strawberry. A huge disappointment, in my opinion. Necco recently went out of business and now has a new owner, and they aren't making any hearts candy this year, but they say they will next year.

If you decide to buy the Brach's and you want specific flavors, I'd advise against doing it online, because customer reviews say that the flavors they send you are often not the same ones that you ordered.

https://www.foodandwine.com/news/con...ethearts-necco

Necco’s SweetHearts may be gone, but they weren’t the only conversation hearts game in town

January 28, 2019

Last week, I explained why conversation hearts might not be as ubiquitous this Valentine’s Day. For those who missed it (and don’t feel like clicking the link I so kindly provided), here’s a recap: Last year, the Necco candy company went out of business, ending production of their iconic SweetHearts. CandyStore.com suggests that SweetHearts were America’s top-selling brand of conversation hearts with as much as 80 percent of the market. The good news for SweetHearts fans is that the brand has since been picked up by another company; however, the new owners weren’t able to get production up and running in time, instead choosing to focus on a relaunch in 2020. As a result, it would seem safe to think that we’ll see fewer conversation hearts on shelves this Valentine’s.

But another candy company you may have heard of — Brach’s — says to hold on a second… because Necco wasn’t the only conversation hearts game in town. Since the 1960s, Brach’s has offered its own Brach’s Conversation Hearts nationwide, and the brand reached out to tell me that this year won’t be any different.

“Brach’s is, and has been, the market leader in Conversation Hearts for several years,” Peter Goldman, Senior Director Brach’s & Seasonal Confections, told me via email. “Brach’s size, texture, colors, sayings, flavors and quality provide the perfect alternative for those Sweethearts customers who haven’t yet switched to Brach’s and are lamenting this year’s lack of Necco Conversation Hearts. We’re excited for Valentine’s Day 2019, as our Brach’s Conversation Hearts are widely available at all mass retailers.”

For those wondering what the differences were between Brach’s Conversation Hearts and SweetHearts, Brach’s was happy to break that down too. “Iconic Brach’s Conversation Hearts include small and large-sized hearts in wintergreen, banana, orange, lemon, cherry and grape — similar colors and flavors to Necco’s former hearts,” Goldman explained. “However, we offer a much broader range of on-trend flavors, colors and even textures across our portfolio including Tropical Fruit, Very Berry and Sweet and Sour. As far as the sayings go, Brach’s Conversation Hearts are laser-printed, delivering much higher accuracy than Necco’s stamped process.”

Brach’s wasn’t through though. The brand also points out that its Conversation Hearts have been far more forward-thinking with their messages as well. “We add new trending phrases and colloquialisms to our Brach’s Conversation Hearts on a regular basis,” Goldman added. “For instance, social media has added a treasure trove of new expressions, acronyms and emoticons that have made their way onto Brach’s Conversation Hearts. Some of our newer sayings include TTYL (Talk To You Later), Adorbz, BFF, H&K (Hugs & Kisses), and LYMY (Love You Miss You). These combine with other contemporary expressions such as Text Me, Yowsa, and ILU to bring this classic Valentine’s Day candy conversation firmly into the 21st century. These newer sayings join timeless and perennially popular phrases that are more common to the category such as Be Mine, Love You, Let’s Kiss, Miss You and Hug Me.”

It all adds up to what has long been Valentine’s Day’s dirty little secret (at least in my opinion): Brach’s have always been the better conversation hearts. SweetHearts were essentially just reshaped Necco Wafers, offering up a similarly underwhelming chalky and powdery texture. Brach’s Conversation Hearts, on the other hand, have just a touch of chew, making them feel like a more coherent candy package and less like something that could fall apart in front of your eyes. Sure, I’ll stand by SweetHearts’ nostalgia value, but Brach’s is right: If you haven’t tried Brach’s Conversation Hearts before, you may be in for a pleasant surprise this February.
Old 01-29-19, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Necco’s SweetHearts may be gone, but they weren’t the only conversation hearts ga

The company that bought the rights to Sweethearts and who will start selling them next year is Spangler. My wife and her mother are both very big fans of candy canes but also very particular about the brand, and Spangler candy canes are the only ones they buy. My wife buys hundreds of them each fall. It's odd.
Old 01-29-19, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Necco’s SweetHearts may be gone, but they weren’t the only conversation hearts ga

Necco Sweethearts candies were disgusting. Good riddance!

I’d be surprised to find out that anyone actually ate those things. I just assumed people tossed them in the trash without given them a second thought.
Old 01-29-19, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I loved Necco candies, they were chalky and had a weird taste, but it was one I grew up with and loved.
Old 01-29-19, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I loved Necco candies, they were chalky and had a weird taste, but it was one I grew up with and loved.
Did you grow up in New England? I always assumed Necco was more of a regional thing.
Old 01-29-19, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Did you grow up in New England? I always assumed Necco was more of a regional thing.
Naw, Florida. Got in the habit from my dad who is from the mid-west.

Edit: It's a delicacy with the geriatric community here.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-29-19 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-29-19, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don’t think I’ve ever had the Necco variety of these. Always have gotten the Brach’s as far as I remember.

One Valentines Day candy I remember that I’m pretty sure was discontinued long ago (I haven’t found them in ages at least) are Chewy Spree hearts. I think they came in just traditional Valentines Day colors (red, pink, and white), but I’m pretty sure they were all cherry flavored. I always liked them a lot and can’t even seem to find them online anywhere as far as an image or anything.
Old 01-29-19, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I remember Necco candy on the west coast.
Old 01-29-19, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This concept of "wuv" confuses and irritates us!
Old 01-29-19, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A local news channel covered the absence of SweetHearts as the starting point of a news story about a donut company selling heart-shaped donuts with sayings on them.

It was another example of advertising masquerading as news. I'm not going to name the donut company.

The next story covered was also an advertisement. I wonder how I can get in on that game. "Nick is a handsome middle-aged man with a good job and with a car and a house. Sexy young submissive women love him. (Montage of happy smiling women in their 20s doing interesting things. Woman says, "He's got, you know, these amazing hands. His back rubs are amazing.") Right now, he has time in his busy schedule for someone like YOU!"

Last edited by Nick Danger; 01-29-19 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-29-19, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post

I’d be surprised to find out that anyone actually ate those things. I just assumed people tossed them in the trash without given them a second thought.
Yeah really, who cares.
Old 01-29-19, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post

This.
Old 01-29-19, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Might be.

I’m in the midwest, and we had those Necco hearts in stores every Valentine’s Day. (Yes, the Necco brand, not a knock-off.)

Necco Wafers are much harder to come by. No stores carry them except the ones that have “retro” candies like Pop Rocks, and even then it’s only occasionally.
Old 01-29-19, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I did. I went through a Necco Wafers phase where I ate a roll of them every weekend for about a year.
Old 01-29-19, 08:37 PM
Premium Member

Re: Necco’s SweetHearts may be gone, but they weren’t the only conversation hearts game

Love me some Necco Wafers. I find them at the drug stores (Discount Drug Mart, CVS, Walgreens, etc..).

I got these Tropical ones a few months ago and still have a few rolls (I prefer the regular or chocolate rolls, though):