Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

is eating a chore?

Old 01-27-19, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: is eating a chore?

Never thought of eating as a chore, but the chore is the preparation and cleanup of food, especially if you are cooking for only one person.

Diet-pills or whatever the current nomenclature is would have one great problem: How do they fool you into thinking and *feeling* full? Nevermind, that such a pill should do all of this without causing any side effects / untoward effects (diarrhea, especially!). I think that's an impossible task -- a magic bullet -- or some (greedy) Big Pharma company would have accomplished it by now, so great is their profit motive.

Even two decades into the 21st century, we do not have anything. If such a pill ever becomes available, it'll cost $50 to $100 per pill (GREED!!) so eating real food will certainly remain much cheaper. Back to square one and continued obesity epidemic!

Olestra failed -- Diarrhea
Fen-Phen (Fenfluramine) failed due to real or imagine heart-valve defectes in one out of a million people.

Those were both developed in the '80s to early '90s, so that's 30 years ago. Nothing has come along since.
Old 01-27-19, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I get the sentiment and wish we were designed to go much longer without eating. Eating 3 meals a day can really feel like a chore. It would be nice if we could eat a huge meal that we could really get into and enjoy and feast every few days then have to eat something every 8 hours or feel like we're going to starve. Maybe like a snake or something. I really think scientist should look at snakes as a key for weight loss. How can something that hardly moves and eats one giant piece of food every few weeks be nothing but pure muscle.
Old 01-27-19, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This seems as good of a place as any to share a random shower thought I had one day...

What if people could get all the energy they need through sunlight, like a mammalian photosynthesis, but the only way to get that energy was to expose your open butthole to the sunrise for an hour each morning? And then some people got self conscious about the whole thing, started eating plants and animals instead, and the entire ability was forgotten over the millenia?

EDIT: anyway, to answer the OP, Iíd gladly drink a shake a day if it gave me all my calories and nutrients, and had something in it to curb hunger. I could easily live without eating, with the occasional exception of a ribeye or something as a rare treat.
Old 01-27-19, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
This seems as good of a place as any to share a random shower thought I had one day...

What if people could get all the energy they need through sunlight, like a mammalian photosynthesis, but the only way to get that energy was to expose your open butthole to the sunrise for an hour each morning? And then some people got self conscious about the whole thing, started eating plants and animals instead, and the entire ability was forgotten over the millenia?

EDIT: anyway, to answer the OP, Iíd gladly drink a shake a day if it gave me all my calories and nutrients, and had something in it to curb hunger. I could easily live without eating, with the occasional exception of a ribeye or something as a rare treat.

butthole photosynthesis. I'm just picturing suburban America in the 50's except everyone is outside on the front lawn with their white picket fences. bending over in downward dog and spreading their cheeks to "eat".
Old 01-27-19, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TGM View Post
I don't feel like I necessarily enjoy eating/food as much as others, and find eating/preparing food more of a hassle than its worth, and would be just as happy ingesting a pill three times a day and giving up the "deliciousness of food" if it meant I was getting enough nutrients to keep me healthy and prevent me from getting obese. Does anybody else feel the same?
I've wondered the same thing myself. This became an issue for me after I had a heart attack in 2011 and had to stop eating all my favorite foods. I love everything that's bad for me and feel good when I eat it and I can't stand healthy food. I feel so unsatisfied after eating a "good, healthy meal." Yet when I've had General Tso's chicken with pork fried rice and an egg roll, I feel great for hours afterwards. And that's exactly what I'm not supposed to eat. So, yeah, a pill a few times a day would work for me.

I mostly make my own meals and the problem is I have little imagination when it comes to preparing foods and no patience to cook anything that requires time or a recipe. I cook and eat because I have to, not because I want to. And I usually wait till I'm hungry to decide what to eat. But lately, I've been buying chicken thighs and freezing them and taking two out at a time to thaw so that I'll have to make a meal around them since I don't want the thighs to spoil. I have learned to add curry and other spices to the chicken when I cook it and sautee garlic, onions and mushrooms and add a spoonful of beans and put it all over rice. That's a meal I genuinely enjoy. Plus steamed broccoli on the side. But I don't have much variation in my meals.
Old 01-27-19, 07:04 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Love eating good food, dislike preparation and cleanup.
Old 01-27-19, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Is jerking of a chore?

Whatís goiní on here. Eating is a pleasure. Go see a doctor.
Me: Doctor, I donít really enjoy cooking or cleaning up and would rather spend my time on something other than food preparation. Can you help me?

Doctor: No. Because thatís not a medical problem.

Old 01-27-19, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If it's all or nothing, then I'll continue with the food. There are a lot of times that I don't feel like eating, but I like food enough that I'd end up missing it and the process around it that I'd miss it eventually. If I was busy and could just toss back a few pills to sate my appetite and bodily needs, I'd love to occasionally. Send the kids to school with a small package of pills for lunch, that'd be ok, too. Long road trips, hungry in the middle of the night, lots of opportunity for these pills. On the flipside, I like cooking, presenting, eating, and presiding over meals. I don't want to give that up.
Old 01-27-19, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post

What about cloudy days?
Old 01-27-19, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For medical reasons, I have had to alter my diet significantly over the few years (and especially in 2018) so eating has definitely lost the appeal it had for me when I was younger.

As a result, meals have become a real chore to prepare, considering that I will not enjoy eating them as much as I would have enjoyed easy (and cheap) meals full of carbs and sugar and fat
Old 01-27-19, 01:06 PM
Admin-Thanos

I love eating, probably too much. For me it's something to look forward to when your day is otherwise pretty boring.
Old 01-27-19, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Never thought of eating as a chore, but the chore is the preparation and cleanup of food, especially if you are cooking for only one person.

Diet-pills or whatever the current nomenclature is would have one great problem: How do they fool you into thinking and *feeling* full? Nevermind, that such a pill should do all of this without causing any side effects / untoward effects (diarrhea, especially!). I think that's an impossible task -- a magic bullet -- or some (greedy) Big Pharma company would have accomplished it by now, so great is their profit motive.

Even two decades into the 21st century, we do not have anything. If such a pill ever becomes available, it'll cost $50 to $100 per pill (GREED!!) so eating real food will certainly remain much cheaper. Back to square one and continued obesity epidemic!

Olestra failed -- Diarrhea
Fen-Phen (Fenfluramine) failed due to real or imagine heart-valve defectes in one out of a million people.

Those were both developed in the '80s to early '90s, so that's 30 years ago. Nothing has come along since.
Not exactly pills, but I've been curious about the Soylent meal replacement drinks, anyone try it before?

BTW, I think with Olestra, it depended on the person, some were more susceptible to having stomach problems than others. I remember eating bags of the olestra chips with no ill effects. Kind of the same thing as escolar, the fish that is often sold as "white tuna" or "butterfish" sashimi. I'm ok with it and it's delicious but many people would have terrible oily diarrhea if they ate more than a few pieces. Everyone's system handles oil differently.
Old 01-27-19, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I worked late yesterday, and I was thinking about dinner all the way home.

The only example I have known of eating being a chore was a guy who was doing some serious muscle building. He had to eat four or five full meals a day, and he got really tired of it.

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Not exactly pills, but I've been curious about the Soylent meal replacement drinks, anyone try it before?

BTW, I think with Olestra, it depended on the person, some were more susceptible to having stomach problems than others. I remember eating bags of the olestra chips with no ill effects. Kind of the same thing as escolar, the fish that is often sold as "white tuna" or "butterfish" sashimi. I'm ok with it and it's delicious but many people would have terrible oily diarrhea if they ate more than a few pieces. Everyone's system handles oil differently.
I tried olestra chips ONCE. I made it home in time.
Old 01-27-19, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I couldn't handle Oelestra back in the day and only tried it once. And Escolar . . . well, it's delicious. I like it and will eat it if they give it to me, but get a little judgmental about it at the same time (why are they serving this fish to me? Yes, it's good, but why didn't the chef make a different choice? It's not even legal in Japan as far as I know.)
Old 01-27-19, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I avoided Olestra after hearing about possible side effects.
Old 01-27-19, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would definitely take advantage of this type of pill at lunch time. My options at work are worse than ever. I'm just tired of the whole thing.

Now on weekends? No way. I had a great brisket sandwich this afternoon. Wouldn't want to miss that.
Old 01-27-19, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm close to it for breakfast. If I eat too early after waking up, it can go right through me especially if it's something like eggs and such, so I've taken to keeping Clif bars in my desk at work and eating one after I've been there a half hour. But I enjoy eating other meals too much to give that up full time. I mean, we just got back from sushi for dinner and I'm not giving that up.
Old 01-27-19, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Delicious food is one of the greatest pleasures. Particularly when it's paired with a good beverage.

No chance I'd switch to a pill.

Olestra. Ecch! I was at a hockey game and they gave everyone samples of Ruffles Wow! chips. They felt/tasted like they left a film of plastic on your tongue.

It was only a sample size bag, but it definitely caused toilet issues.

I'm amazed they ever made it to market.
Old 01-27-19, 11:14 PM

Soylent was promising a few years ago. Iím surprised that hasnít gone very far, and I no longer hear about it. It seemed like it had the potential to solve world hunger. I thought it would be a huge new industry - submit your bloodwork, height/weight, activity levels, etc and it spits out the exact dosage you need, delivered to your home in powder or bar form.
I love food like nearly everyone else, but whenever I make bad choices (too frequently, sadly) itís often not worth the regret afterwards. Particularly the hangover-like sluggishness after consuming sugar, which is my drug of choice. And the ongoing weight maintenance/loss struggle. I love a good meal but I would definitely switch to a pill or bar that gives me everything I need, so that I donít have to struggle in making healthy decisions on a daily basis, and also get rid of the daily ďwhatís for dinnerĒ discussion.

edit: I just looked up soylent for the first time in a few years and it has turned into a generic meal replacement / diet aid product, rather than the open source total food replacement concept that it started out as.

Last edited by skywalker8; 01-27-19 at 11:23 PM.
Old 01-27-19, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was just thinking about those Olestra chips the other day, and whether or not anyone still made them.

I liked them, and never had any problems with them. Didn’t taste any different, and didn’t make me shit my pants.
Old 01-28-19, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post

Originally Posted by skywalker8 View Post
Soylent was promising a few years ago. Iím surprised that hasnít gone very far, and I no longer hear about it. It seemed like it had the potential to solve world hunger. I thought it would be a huge new industry - submit your bloodwork, height/weight, activity levels, etc and it spits out the exact dosage you need, delivered to your home in powder or bar form.
I love food like nearly everyone else, but whenever I make bad choices (too frequently, sadly) itís often not worth the regret afterwards. Particularly the hangover-like sluggishness after consuming sugar, which is my drug of choice. And the ongoing weight maintenance/loss struggle. I love a good meal but I would definitely switch to a pill or bar that gives me everything I need, so that I donít have to struggle in making healthy decisions on a daily basis, and also get rid of the daily ďwhatís for dinnerĒ discussion.

edit: I just looked up soylent for the first time in a few years and it has turned into a generic meal replacement / diet aid product, rather than the open source total food replacement concept that it started out as.
One thing I totally do not get is the name! Seriously had no one seen Soylent Green? That couldn't have been a coincidence could it? As much thought as people put into naming products and the millions of dollars associated with it no one did a simple google search?
Old 01-28-19, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
One thing I totally do not get is the name! Seriously had no one seen Soylent Green? That couldn't have been a coincidence could it? As much thought as people put into naming products and the millions of dollars associated with it no one did a simple google search?
Thatís what itís named after.
It started as just a guy trying to life hack eating and nutrition.
Old 01-28-19, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

For those of you just looking for an easy meal replacement with actual complete nutrition, check out Huel powder. It's oats, peas, flaxseed, and brown rice plus vitamins and aminos. You shake it up with water or almond milk and drink.

It's not a diet thing or an energy thing or any of that "life-changing" bullshit, it's just a meal replacement for when you don't have the time or inclination to go get or prepare a meal for yourself.
Old 01-28-19, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike View Post
For those of you just looking for an easy meal replacement with actual complete nutrition, check out Huel powder. It's oats, peas, flaxseed, and brown rice plus vitamins and aminos. You shake it up with water or almond milk and drink.

It's not a diet thing or an energy thing or any of that "life-changing" bullshit, it's just a meal replacement for when you don't have the time or inclination to go get or prepare a meal for yourself.
Similar to this, I keep some bottles of Soylent (the Cacao flavor) in my fridge for times I don't have time or just don't want to eat. Same scenario, not a diet shake or anything like that; just a full replacement meal. I'm trying to transition myself to a bottle for lunch every day at work. Would save a ton of money.
Old 01-28-19, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Over the years I've had two friends tell me their don't eat much meat because it's a "chore" to chew.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.