Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Why do people hate hobbies?

Old 01-24-19, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why do people hate hobbies?

Is it just me or are hobbies a -guy- thing?

I can only speak for myself but seems like there a lot people who have never had a hobby or hobbies and when they get older and no longer work are stuck for answer when it come's too do anything besides something being family related.

It all started for me way way way back into time when I was B/W TV-4-life(8 yrs old) and I can remember buying my first comic book, started watching tv like crazy(too much especially animation) and then I got interested in sports (watching and playing) and listening to music and have never been the same since and that was over 56 years ago and basically still have the same hobbies today(the more time change's the more it stay's the same).

When did you start having hobbies,how much time did you spend with them and if you never had a hobby then why did you avoid it?

Old 01-24-19, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Why do people hate hobbies?

I wouldn't say hobbies are a "guy" thing at all - but certain hobbies certainly skew male. DVDtalkers are well aware of that. Other hobbies skew female.

Personally, I have a few hobbies that I rotate depending on how I'm feeling. I've gotten back into building Legos, which was a childhood hobby that I'm doing again. I like to cook. I like to play video games. Those are my big three right now.

I try not to "collect" anything - though it is tempting at times. Those tend to be real money eating hobbies that I don't really need in my life.
Old 01-24-19, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I personally find people who have no hobbies to be rather boring. I've had some sort of hobby for as long as I can remember, whether it be reading/listening and collecting music, books, comics; creating artwork, playing music, whatever. I feel that my life would be unfulfilled if I ONLY thought about work and family, something would be missing.
Old 01-24-19, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
Is it just me or are hobbies a -guy- thing?
Depends upon what your definition of "hobby" is. Some women will not take a back seat to anybody for their hobbies. Scrapbooking is one that comes to mind. Pinterest was designed specifically for women and their hobbies.

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
I can only speak for myself but seems like there a lot people who have never had a hobby or hobbies and when they get older and no longer work are stuck for answer when it come's too do anything besides something being family related.

It all started for me way way way back into time when I was B/W TV-4-life(8 yrs old) and I can remember buying my first comic book, started watching tv like crazy(too much especially animation) and then I got interested in sports (watching and playing) and listening to music and have never been the same since and that was over 56 years ago and basically still have the same hobbies today(the more time change's the more it stay's the same).

When did you start having hobbies,how much time did you spend with them and if you never had a hobby then why did you avoid it?
I've taken a similar path. I too was a TV kid. I loved the old SciFi and Anthology shows of the 50's, 60's, and 70's... which expanded into detective shows and the made-for-tv movies.

Days must've had more hours in them back in the day because I can remember watching more TV than anything, and yet had plenty of time for schoolwork, study, reading (I was a voracious reader), assembling plastic models, playing with my friends and riding my bike all over the neighborhood.

But as I grew up, got married and had kids, nearly all discretionary time disappeared. What was left wasn't enough to sustain and maintain a hobby. I would buy Beta and VHS tapes (and record far more) but it was catch as catch can and not really with the focus that I had before I had responsibilities.

Now that we're empty-nesters, but not retired, I'm curating my DVD and digital media collection to get back to what was my first interest.
Old 01-24-19, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I definitely NEED hobbies. I'd love to retire so I could spend more time on them.

Tinkering
Listening to music
Playing music
TV/Movies
Electronics
Astrophotography and regular photography
Arcade games, mostly pinball
Puzzles
Dirt biking
Hockey (are sports considered hobbies?)
Math stuff

Almost all the above have continued since I was a kid.
Old 01-24-19, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have huge music and TV/movie collections. I also have more action figures than most 6 year olds.
Old 01-24-19, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Women have hobbies that are oblivious to most of us guys ... shoe/clothing/jewelry collecting and so on.
Old 01-24-19, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DthRdrX View Post
Women have hobbies that are oblivious to most of us guys ... shoe/clothing/jewelry collecting and so on.
Plus grocery shopping and cleaning the house.

Joking!
Old 01-24-19, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Plus grocery shopping and cleaning the house.

Joking!
I'm not touching the cleaning the house part of that, but my mother always loved grocery shopping. From searching for and cutting out coupons to spending 3 hours walking around the supermarket, looking at EVERYTHING!
Old 01-24-19, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

I have a ton of hobbies. I always tease my wife because she has no discernible hobby. I don’t know why that is. I think ladies are more social. Just being friends is a hobby. My wife has a ton of friends. I don’t know.

I’m into:

Model trains- big time as a kid, my parents saved all my old stuff! When my nephew was young I got back into it. So much fun.

Legos- again got back into it with my kids

Movies- reading, watching, and contemplating movies. I have an encyclopedic knowledge.

4Runner- I never knew much about cars, but I fell so in love with my 2006 I self taught myself everything and I do almost all the maintenance myself

Exploring- I love to take that car to national parks and oddball locations. We just went to Death Valley to seek out Star Wars locations and U2 album cover locations.

Skiing and Tennis- I stopped doing both for 10-20 years and got back into both because of my kids

Having kids is great. It definitely gets you back to doing things you stopped doing
Old 01-24-19, 04:55 PM

In my 20s, 30s and 40s I hiked and played a lot of baseball and basketball. My knees hurt for days after playing now. I began scuba diving thirty years ago and still dive as much as possible. My main hobby is underwater photography.
https://www.alamy.com/search/imagere...&mode=0&comp=1

My Mom loved crafting, genealogy and pen pals. My Dad would watch any sport all day long, but his only hobby was drinking.
Old 01-24-19, 05:03 PM

I loved playing baseball and basketball when I was younger but I am now 44 with the knees and back of an 88 year old.
Old 01-24-19, 05:11 PM

I'll be sixty next month and still enjoy playing. I don't enjoy the pain afterward.
Old 01-24-19, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
Depends upon what your definition of "hobby" is. Some women will not take a back seat to anybody for their hobbies. Scrapbooking is one that comes to mind. Pinterest was designed specifically for women and their hobbies.

I've taken a similar path. I too was a TV kid. I loved the old SciFi and Anthology shows of the 50's, 60's, and 70's... which expanded into detective shows and the made-for-tv movies.

Days must've had more hours in them back in the day because I can remember watching more TV than anything, and yet had plenty of time for schoolwork, study, reading (I was a voracious reader), assembling plastic models, playing with my friends and riding my bike all over the neighborhood.

But as I grew up, got married and had kids, nearly all discretionary time disappeared. What was left wasn't enough to sustain and maintain a hobby. I would buy Beta and VHS tapes (and record far more) but it was catch as catch can and not really with the focus that I had before I had responsibilities.

Now that we're empty-nesters, but not retired, I'm curating my DVD and digital media collection to get back to what was my first interest.
I remember when we got out first new channel (Ch. 50-WKBD Detroit) and when I would come home from school ,I would sit in front of the TV for 45 minutes before it came on late in the afternoon. I think it was the Little Rascals or some lame Western tv show but Ch. 50 was first and foremost a sports channel.
Old 01-24-19, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

I've been a life-long reader, so that's one. I became a movie and TV buff pretty early and one of my nicknames was "The Cinemaster" for my movie trivia powers, so another. I did the legos/erector/radio shack electronics/plastic models thing as a kid but now I just dabble in electronics and light prop-making, which ties in with my costuming as a member of the 501st. I go to the shooting range quite a bit. I massacre songs on the banjo. I still play a game on the PC every now and then. I'm about to take up spoon carving.
Old 01-24-19, 05:27 PM

I'm not quite sure if I would define "listening to music" or "watching movies/ tv" as a hobby. They are more passive activities. I would consider a hobby to be more active, ie collecting something, sewing, ametuer radio enthusiasts, etc.
Old 01-24-19, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think now people hate hobbies that take up space.

Owning 5,000 to 6,000 plus DVDs and Blu-Rays along with toys and collectibles that take up shelf and closet space is very unappealing to many. Plus the financial ramifications of spending all that money makes many, probably family, very upset.

Last edited by DJariya; 01-24-19 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-24-19, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

I agree with you movieguru, but when you buy and read books about the shows and movies and the craft involved and meet up with other folks just to discuss them it rises to hobby level. As you noted, that is because it takes it from the passive to the participative.

And the collecting aspect applies as well: shelves and shelves of carefully curated discs and records, not to mention the posters and memorabilia on display (and seriously don't bring up the expense lavished on the AV equipment).

Last edited by AGuyNamedMike; 01-24-19 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-24-19, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I think now people hate hobbies that take up space.

Owning 5,000 to 6,000 plus DVDs and Blu-Rays along with toys and collectibles that take up shelf and closet is very unappealing to many. Plus the financial ramifications of spending all that money makes many, probably family, very upset.
ok... when and where did you hide that microphone in my house?
Old 01-24-19, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
I'm not quite sure if I would define "listening to music" or "watching movies/ tv" as a hobby. They are more passive activities. I would consider a hobby to be more active, ie collecting something, sewing, ametuer radio enthusiasts, etc.
Agreed. If watching movies/tv are considered hobbies, then that means 99% of the non-third world population has a hobby.

I'd consider collecting things a hobby, but that depends on what's being collected. Collecting DVDs/BDs isn't really a hobby - since it doesn't usually require any "hunting" for them... you just buy in store or online at typical places... like most products. Sports card collecting would be - since it requires "hunting" for items that could be hard to get, and has important variables such as card condition.

Last edited by Coral; 01-24-19 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-24-19, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Tell that to people who wanted those Walt Disney Treasures DVDs.
Old 01-24-19, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike View Post
I agree with you movieguru, but when you buy and read books about the shows and movies and the craft involved and meet up with other folks just to discuss them it rises to hobby level. As you noted, that is because it takes it from the passive to the participative.

And the collecting aspect applies as well: shelves and shelves of carefully curated discs and records, not to mention the posters and memorabilia on display (and seriously don't bring up the expense lavished on the AV equipment).
Yes, the collecting of DVD's or advanced AV sound equipment, or frequently attending seminars/ groups related to movies would turn it into a hobby. I listen to music on my car radio while driving to work, running errands, etc., but I would never consider music my hobby as likely 99% of the population listens to music. It is almost a universal human experience like eating or breathing in oxygen.
Old 01-24-19, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I guess when I say 'listening to music' it is more involved than just that. Seeking out different CD and vinyl masterings/pressings, tinkering with audio setup, etc. make it more than passive, for me.

Having said that, I really think that a hobby is just something you like to do with your spare time. I don't think things should be excluded simply because they're more passive activities.
Old 01-24-19, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I’d say that curating a collection of movies on blu-ray/DVD or having a collection of albums is a hobby in a way that just sitting around watching tv or listening to the radio is not.
Old 01-24-19, 09:31 PM
Admin-Thanos

I don't hate hobbies. I think they are essential to a well rounded individual. I still play softball and I'm planning on getting back into aviation. It's an expensive hobby, so we'll see how many hours I can log, but it's a passion of mine and I'm going to pursue it.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.