Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Why do people hate hobbies?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Why do people hate hobbies?

Old 01-24-19, 09:55 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Why do people hate hobbies?

There's nothing wrong with hobbies. If you have the money, can afford them (and many of them don't even cost that much), and don't let them take over your life, then more power to you. Before streaming got prevalent, I used to collect DVD's & even music CD's to some extent. When people criticized this, I told them to go fuck themselves. They never criticize again after that - of course, I never talked to them again after that, which is exactly what I wanted

Last edited by TheDude; 01-24-19 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-24-19, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 648 Likes on 453 Posts

^One doesn't need money to have a hobby. One needs inspiration, which I don't have but hope to regain soon.
Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
I don't hate hobbies. I think they are essential to a well rounded individual.
Old 01-24-19, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 96 Posts

Maybe I should have said Why do people refuse to have hobbies.
Old 01-25-19, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
Some people might consider it a waste of time or never had time due to work or other obligations to acquire hobbies. My GF's ex is retired but doesn't have any hobbies so he got a part time job. Maybe he considers making money his hobby.
Old 01-25-19, 08:59 AM
Admin

Received 342 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
^One doesn't need money to have a hobby. One needs inspiration, which I don't have but hope to regain soon.
Follow and participate in things that you are passionate about in life. If you don't get that from your work, you damn well better get it from your free time.
Old 01-25-19, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 543 Likes on 337 Posts

He's just a stuffed tiger. I have no problem with him at all.
Old 01-25-19, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 70 Posts

Some people don't have hobbies because they just live for the moment, roll with the flow.
Old 01-25-19, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Agreed. If watching movies/tv are considered hobbies, then that means 99% of the non-third world population has a hobby.

I'd consider collecting things a hobby, but that depends on what's being collected. Collecting DVDs/BDs isn't really a hobby - since it doesn't usually require any "hunting" for them... you just buy in store or online at typical places... like most products. Sports card collecting would be - since it requires "hunting" for items that could be hard to get, and has important variables such as card condition.
Depends how you play the game. I buy most of my movies and CDs below a certain threshold, so I do lots of Thirft shopping hunting and wait sometime years for a movie title to drop to $5. i recently found Tear for Fears "The hurting", after years of searching thrift shops I finally found it. It was awesome feeling. Of course I heard the album several times before through Youtube

Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
There's nothing wrong with hobbies. If you have the money, can afford them (and many of them don't even cost that much), and don't let them take over your life, then more power to you. Before streaming got prevalent, I used to collect DVD's & even music CD's to some extent. When people criticized this, I told them to go fuck themselves. They never criticize again after that - of course, I never talked to them again after that, which is exactly what I wanted
So much jadedness. When people criticize my collecting. I just shrug it off.
I like my stuff but I enjoy people a lot more

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I think now people hate hobbies that take up space.

Owning 5,000 to 6,000 plus DVDs and Blu-Rays along with toys and collectibles that take up shelf and closet space is very unappealing to many. Plus the financial ramifications of spending all that money makes many, probably family, very upset.
Man i have close to 2000 titles. Along with a loot 6 inch action figures. It be nice to see other collectors pictures . Also if you know of a good app to catalog figures, let me know
Old 01-25-19, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 132 Likes on 85 Posts

I don't think hobbies are a "guy" thing. Haven't met too many men who knit, sew, quilt etc, but lots of women who do. I trialed all those hobbies--knitted a sweater for an old boyfriend, made lots of sundresses for my daughter when she was little, and made one very small quilt (it kept getting smaller and smaller as I downgraded that project). None were quite my thing. I tried to knit a scarf for my husband when we were dating a couple years ago, but 3 inches in I decided he didn't really need a scarf, as I think knitting is boring AF. Back in the day I made peyote stitch seed bead jewelry and little amulet bags, but I quit--such fine work is a pita when you're getting old.

I used to write science fiction short stories, but I kind of gave that up too. Not sure why. I did some fiction editing, too, in the mid 2000''s (was an associate fiction editor at Northwest Review--not really my favorite kind of stories, but we did publish a science fiction piece while I was doing it).

My main hobbies now are cooking and fermenting. Last year I worked on Indian food, and this year I plan to make more thai food. I'm kind of a no shortcuts cook, which is how I got into fermenting. Homemade kimchi is sooo much better than store bought. That was a gateway pickle for me, and now I make sauerkraut (which admittedly is only great half the time for me), dill pickles, and lots of random fermented veggies.
Old 01-25-19, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Oh as far as other hobbies besides collecting. I like to play music, piano, guitar, bass. Still trying to teach myself drums and violin.

And as others mentioned with kids, you start doing a lot of cool stuff like Legos, painting, bike riding. Sometimes I feel like work gets in the way of doing all these things i love the most
Old 01-25-19, 11:10 AM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Hobbies are a bit overwhelming in the age of social media. When you get to the point that you want to engage in the community, it seems like everybody else is spending thousands of dollars on whatever it is, and it's sometimes hard to find others at your same "level".
Old 01-25-19, 11:46 AM

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

The older I get I realize the importance of having hobbies. Going through life bored and disinterested is a recipe for disaster. Also, it doesn't need to be material. I recently read a biography of Churchill. the man had a life-long infatuation with butterflies - added tons of joy for him.

My father in law, now retired, has become very interested in star gazing. Adding plenty of joy to his twilight years.
Old 01-25-19, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 327 Likes on 231 Posts

I don't think people purposely refuse to have hobbies - they're either just lazy, or don't have the funds or time, or just have no interest in anything that would be considered a hobby.
Old 01-25-19, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread might fit under the unpopular opinion thread I don't know many people that hate or refuse to have hobbies. Usually it's their life that limits hobbies. I have a handful of things I like to spend my spare time and money doing. If I could just get rid of this stupid job I have I would spend much more time on hobbies. The world has so many interesting things to see and do, but all are limited by money and time for most people.

The only hobbies I no longer want any part of are ones that center around collecting material possessions. I just don't want the clutter in my house or life. I got rid of all my dvds, sold off my crazy 2000 watt surround sound system and downsized to a sound bar with small wireless sub/satellites (still have a high watt 2 channel system for music)

Obviously hobbies require equipment/gear, like fishing for example, you need a pole and a reel or may need a dozen for different types of fishing, but that is different from a hobby simply collecting fishing reels.
Old 01-25-19, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 599 Likes on 483 Posts

Videogames and movies are popular hobbies these days.
Old 01-25-19, 01:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson View Post
The older I get I realize the importance of having hobbies. Going through life bored and disinterested is a recipe for disaster. Also, it doesn't need to be material. I recently read a biography of Churchill. the man had a life-long infatuation with butterflies - added tons of joy for him.

My father in law, now retired, has become very interested in star gazing. Adding plenty of joy to his twilight years.
This is a great post. My favorite hobby right now is reading. I plan on retiring by the time I reach 50 and have already thought out a few hobbies to help enjoy my downtime:

Learn to read, write and speak Norwegian (my ancestry)
Learn to play trumpet and/or bass guitar
Start building a ham radio rig and become a licensed ham.

Old 01-25-19, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 268 Posts

I train for and compete in running and triathlon events, which is pretty much my main "hobby" I suppose. And let's use "compete" in quotes since what I mainly do is show up at the start line and, a few hours later, cross the finish line. Upright, hopefully. I also coach a run club.

Outside of that, I stopped "collecting" most things outside of music (vinyl and CDs) and old RPGs (their various rulebooks and supplements). I have a collection of guitars and basses too, and play them often. I do game often but to me that's more recreation than a hobby. I listen to a ton of music; seeking out and analyzing new music (or music to me) feels more like a hobby; listening to it is recreation. I blog as well, and like to keep up with programming languages and tech in general.

I also help maintain a family genealogy project that my father started 50 years ago and now has traced thousands of family members throughout the USA and beyond. It goes all the way back to 18th Century Bavaria. I discovered a 5th cousin who lives one town over from me. I also discovered that I have a 2nd cousin who married the director of Troll and Friday The 13th Part VII: The New Blood, and that I'm related to the Thalhimer family that founded the Thalhimers department stores in Virgina.

Outside of that, yeah; movies, live music, theater, traveling, reading, karaoke, the usual stuff. I used to be big into both scuba diving and sailing, but I haven't done much of either since 2010.

I think both hobbies and recreation fall under the realm of interests, and without interests you pretty much just stagnate in life.
Old 01-25-19, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 801 Likes on 537 Posts

So who is hating Hobbies?
Old 01-25-19, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 120 Likes on 81 Posts

I have a couple of major hobbies. Model railroading and photography. For the trains, it's as much a social thing as a personal pursuit, and the photography grew out of that, as well as from my interest in video production.

The problem I see is when people obsess over hobbies to the exclusion of all other things. There are a lot of train guys who spend literally all their time obsessing over it. When you factor real railroading into the equation, there's A LOT to obsess over. It's very hard to have conversations about anything else. All they want to talk about are a) railroading and b) how much better things were 50 years ago.

Don't get me wrong, I've made great friendships and have met some really interesting (if slightly warped) people in this hobby, but I've also met some that make the word "nerd" seem inadequate.

I really don't know a lot of serious photographers The few have professionals I've met have given me the impression they believe they shit gold bricks.
Old 01-25-19, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 265 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Old 01-25-19, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 145 Likes on 117 Posts

Old 01-25-19, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Received 658 Likes on 449 Posts

Maybe Hokeyboy can share some of his hobbies!

Old 01-25-19, 09:10 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 187 Likes on 133 Posts

When I was younger I collected vinyl LPs as a hobby. Made myself a goal of 500, reached about 492 and lost interest in collecting them. Still have them, just don't listen to them as often these days.

I've been collecting movies & TV shows, first on VHS, then on DVD and blu-ray now for 10+ years or so, never established a goal for myself but I never thought I'd own 1300 of them.

Those were/are my hobbies. I enjoyed/enjoy them very much.
Old 01-25-19, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 648 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
Follow and participate in things that you are passionate about in life. If you don't get that from your work, you damn well better get it from your free time.
Long story short and to avoid beating a dead horse: I am not employed, and haven't been in a long time. I spend my voluminous free time doing virtually nothing of merit. Sleep is a welcome reprieve, and I sleep a lot. If my brain chemistry worked right, I would surely have a life full of activity, productivity, and happiness. I dearly want to do things, but can't.
Old 01-26-19, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Wives who feel men are spending "our" money on stuff just for themselves.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.