Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

When you went to grade school how often did it close because of weather?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-23-19, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I went to school from 1959 to 1972 and can remember it only being closed once.

Funny thing was I lived right across the street from the school when it closed.

It is still remembered as a very happy day because I really(except for my last year) hated going to school.
Old 01-23-19, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Re: When you went to grade school how often did it close because of weather?

I went to grade school in central Virginia from 73 to 85 and remember having a few snow days each year. The school year was padded to allow for them. Getting up, looking out the window and seeing snow, and listening to the radio for closure announcements are pleasant little memories.
Old 01-23-19, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don’t really remember but yesterday my sons school had increased security because one of the kids was mad that school didn’t get cancelled due to the cold and he made some threats online about shooting the school up.
Old 01-23-19, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've always lived in a temperate climate with no snow, so we didn't have inclimate weather closures (unless there was a natural disaster or something). As a parent now, though, it does seem like there are a lot more no-student days or students-get-out-early days.
Old 01-23-19, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I've always lived in a temperate climate with no snow, so we didn't have inclimate weather closures (unless there was a natural disaster or something). As a parent now, though, it does seem like there are a lot more no-student days or students-get-out-early days.
Speaking of this, my kids have "Early Release" days every other Wednesday, where they get out at 1:34 instead of 3:10. I'm not sure what the purpose of this is and don't remember anybody having anything like this when I was a kid.

School was cancelled today because of icy conditions, but I drove to work this morning and the roads were fine.
Old 01-23-19, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not very often. I walked to school for all years except two in middle school so I was going even if the buses couldn't make it. Even with a foot+ of snow, I don't remember getting to stay home very much at all. Nothing compared to how it is now where we had some schools earlier this year close for the day because of the cold...not even snow.
Old 01-23-19, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
Speaking of this, my kids have "Early Release" days every other Wednesday, where they get out at 1:34 instead of 3:10. I'm not sure what the purpose of this is and don't remember anybody having anything like this when I was a kid.

School was cancelled today because of icy conditions, but I drove to work this morning and the roads were fine.

The teachers work until 3:10. They have meetings and stuff. I grew up in the ‘80s and we had them then.

Old 01-23-19, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Having grown up in Southern California snow days have always fascinated me.

As as far as I can remember we never had a weather related closure. We had at least one earthquake during school hours which resulted in kids staying outdoors until parents picked up.

Schools were closed because of the Rodney King riot. That was fun.

My kids’ school recently dismissed early due to flooding from heavy rain.
Old 01-23-19, 01:11 PM
Suspended

Today, school is for the teachers. Kids are just an afterthought.
Old 01-23-19, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post

The teachers work until 3:10. They have meetings and stuff. I grew up in the ‘80s and we had them then.

Strange, because I have lived in the same general area all my life and went to school here (though not in the same district) for K-12 in the 80's and 90's and we didn't have them. Occasionally we might have a half day on a Friday because of Teacher administrivia (can't remember the word they used), but nothing with this regularity.
Old 01-23-19, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Went to grade school when I lived in a beach city in the socal. Weather? I think not.
Old 01-23-19, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't remember snow days in grade school or high school but college cancelled all classes for one day due to severe cold: -17 ℉ with wind chill of -50 ℉.
Old 01-23-19, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember having plenty of days off due to snow. But this past Monday the school buses were cancelled due to very cold weather (didn't want kids freezing at the bus stops I suppose), I don't remember too many of those in my school days.
Old 01-23-19, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Growing up in MA in the mid 70s and graduating late 80s we had them occasionally. I remember there was a another town that frequently canceled with a similar name to my town and I was always pissed as I would get excited and realize it wasn't my district.
My college never canceled as the dean lived on campus and they kept the damn road in front of his residence plowed immaculate so that could be a PITA in bad weather.
Old 01-23-19, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I grew up in a small town on a Plateau in Tennessee. The temperature was generally 8-10 degrees cooler than other cities in Tennessee. The county didn't have many snow plows, so we were off for at least a week every year due to snow. I started school in the fall of 1989 and graduated in spring of 2002. In 1993, there was a blizzard and I think we missed seven days due to it. I was nine and there was so much snow outside that I couldn't walk in it. I think the School Board had 13 snow days worked into the school calendar. If we missed more days than that, the school year was extended by the number of days we went over.
Old 01-23-19, 01:49 PM

I grew up in rural Colorado (think "South Park"). I remember going to school with 3+ feet of snow on the ground.

Meanwhile, my cousins in Virginia got a snow day if a cloud was spotted in the sky.
Old 01-23-19, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Being an Army brat, I lived in a lot of places. We had a hailstorm in L.A. one day and they made us stay inside for twenty minutes after the final bell rang. That sucked.
In Denver it snowed a lot, same as in Germany. I never had a "snow day". In East Texas it snowed at 14° and we had to go to school. Same as when it was 100° with over 90% humidity.
Old 01-23-19, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I grew up in Wisconsin. School only closed if there was a big ass blizzard.
Old 01-23-19, 02:21 PM
Premium Member

(Ohio) There was was a blizzard one year that shut down schools for a few days. And we did half-days during the energy crisis in the 70s. They closed half the elementary schools and moved them into the remain schools to split days.

There are a whole lot more school buses now than when I went to school (I was walker).
Old 01-23-19, 02:35 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike View Post
I went to grade school in central Virginia from 73 to 85 and remember having a few snow days each year. The school year was padded to allow for them. Getting up, looking out the window and seeing snow, and listening to the radio for closure announcements are pleasant little memories.
Exactly the same years and sentiment for me, except Northern Virginia.
Old 01-23-19, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

K-12 in the Austin area from 87-00, I can only recall a handful of times school was closed due to weather, all of which were the result of pretty severe ice storms blowing through and shutting down the entire city and surrounding areas. We had a few delayed start days too, where school would be delayed an hour or two in order to give the ice enough time to melt before forcing people to get on the roads, but those were pretty rare as well. Towards the end of the year there was a week that consisted of two or three bad weather make-up days, so I personally always rooted for school to be open during inclement weather because it was much nicer having the long weekend towards the end of the year in spring when you could actually enjoy it versus a random day in winter the middle of the week when it was too cold and icy to get to do anything besides sit inside and do homework.

Maybe two times a year there were "Teacher Work Days" which was a day off from school, and we had a two or three early-release days sprinkled throughout the year as well.
Old 01-23-19, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

I remember sometimes in the 70's when the forecast for tomorrow was snow.. it was 100% chance in our area. That never happens. So schools announced they would be closed and it was just a magical day of playing around in the snow which was all gone by the next day. I remember building a snowman with a bunch of my friends and the sheriff came by and said he'd seen lots of snowmen already that day but ours was by far the best! And he popped onto it a plastic sheriff badge. We thought that was awesome. Hasn't been a day like that here since.
Old 01-23-19, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I grew up in the Santa Clara valley area south of San Francisco and went to grade school from 70 - 83. We never had a weather related closure but heard it on the news about other areas of the country had school closures during bad weather.

Such a different time as other stated. There were no early release days on Wednesdays nor teacher's inservice days. School started in September and ended in June. Now it's August. Never had ski week in February, either. Seems like kids have a lot more time off these days. We had a smoking area and there was no such thing as a closed campus. Almost every kid from 10th grade on had a car. No one wanted to be caught dead walking or taking a bus.
Old 01-23-19, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Grew up in Iowa. went to school 1963-76. School was never cancelled once that I can remember. I assume that school was cancelled for JFK's funeral but don't remember. Boundries were drawn such that everybody walked to school. I remember girls weren't allowed to wear pants, but on cold days could wear them for walking to school and change after they got there.
We got hardly any days off. School would start Monday before Labor Day. We got Labor Day, Thanksgiving/Friday after, and two weeks at Christmas. That was it. We would be let out the Friday before Christmas eve and go back Monday after New Years. Always exactly two weeks. Once we went back after New Years it was straight thru till end of year. School let out right before traditional Memorial Day, the 30th?
Old 01-23-19, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I also grew up in Iowa in the 80s and school was cancelled a few times. I have a picture of me standing on the hood of our car in our driveway which had a 4 foot mountain of snow on top of it.

Minnesota schools get cancelled less for snow and more for cold. We're really good at clearing snow but when it's sitting at 15 below or worse, you can't really send the kids to the bus stop. They also do a fair number of delayed starts. Cancelling is only maybe once a year or so though.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.