Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Gig Economy - do you side hustle?

Old 01-25-19, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The Gig Economy - do you side hustle?

I don't do anything now but i have in the past bought stuff on sale and resold. But i only do it when there is a significant profit otherwise it isn't worth the hassle.

Like when I got a bunch of moto z play for essentially $20 and resold it for $300+ back around when the phone was released.

Previously I was buying phones on contract and selling the unlimited line for $500 plus when Verizon unlimited lines were rare. Then resell the phones for a few hundred more.

I have thought about delivery but meh. I was chatting with a chick who was doing delivery and she said she was making $100 per day on weekend but had to really hustle. Pay is not enough to be worth my effort.

Last edited by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB); 01-25-19 at 11:22 PM.
Old 01-26-19, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My DoorDash kit should arrive tomorrow or Monday. The thing I like about DD, from what I've seen, is that customers are forced to tip on the platform whether it's 10% on up. That's not even including the cash tips. That's peaked my interest and the fact that I live in a megapolis helps things, as well.
Old 01-26-19, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
My DoorDash kit should arrive tomorrow or Monday. The thing I like about DD, from what I've seen, is that customers are forced to tip on the platform whether it's 10% on up. That's not even including the cash tips. That's peaked my interest and the fact that I live in a megapolis helps things, as well.
Would be interested in your experience. You live in LA right?

The complaint the chick was telling me was that she had four people cancel on her which is a pain because she already left the house. She is using PM though not DD
Old 01-26-19, 12:43 AM

It's really interesting to hear what everyone is doing. I hear a mix of passions for pay, easy flip tricks, and true hard work hustle. My hope is for as many of you as possible, these side gigs are to supplement more than just help you get by.

I do a little writing consulting for clergy and ordination candidates, plus I teach tailored and original high-energy leadership workshops to clergy and church leaders around the country. Started an LLC for it, just 2-3 gigs a year, so not a lot, but it's good money and great networking. Each gig gets me my next gig and gets my name out there in the national church connection. I doubt I'll ever be a big name on the road most if the year and that's fine by me. I love working a local job and spending time with my family. Still, been fun flying into new cities one day, zipping around in rental cars, getting a nice hotel room, and the next morning doing a fun training with amazing people, and flying home that night. Hoping to bump it from 2-3 gigs per year to 3-5 in 18 months from now.

I also do a lot of weddings and my LLC helps for that, too. It's part of my job, but I also do extra weddings and premarital sessions beyond my job, maybe 2-3 per year, and that's good money. Beyond ordination I got a certification in a particular curriculum that's really excellent so I have a good framework to my work. Many colleagues officiating their friend's or adult children's weddings send them my way for premarital sessions and I'm building a local reputation with it. For sessions, we only talk about the wedding ceremony the last 20 minutes of the last of four 2-hour sessions because we're ot here to talk about your wedding; we're here to talk about your marriage. The wedding is the first day, your marriage is all the days that come after it. Honestly, it's some of my favorite work. If I had unlimited time and resources, which I don't but if I did, I'd get a counseling degree and really dive further into it.

I also started Luber.
Old 01-26-19, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by story View Post
It's really interesting to hear what everyone is doing. I hear a mix of passions for pay, easy flip tricks, and true hard work hustle. My hope is for as many of you as possible, these side gigs are to supplement more than just help you get by.

I teach tailored and original high-energy leadership workshops to clergy and church leaders around the country. Started an LLC for it, just 2-3 gigs a year, so not a lot, but it's good money and great networking. Each gig gets me my next gig and gets my name out there in the national church connection. I doubt I'll ever be a big name on the road most if the year and that's fine by me. I love working a local job and spending time with my family. Still, been fun flying into new cities one day, zipping around in rental cars, getting a nice hotel room, and the next morning doing a fun training with amazing people, and going home that night. Hoping to bump it from 2-3 gigs per year to 3-5 in 18 months from now.

I also do a lot of weddings and my LLC helps for that, too. It's part of my job, but I also do extra weddings and premarital sessions beyond my job, maybe 2-3 per year, and that's good money. Beyond ordination I got a certification in a particular curriculum that's really excellent so I have a good framework to my work. Many colleagues officiating their friend's or adult children's weddings send them my way for premarital sessions and I'm building a local reputation with it. For sessions, we only talk about the wedding ceremony the last 20 minutes of the last of four 2-hour sessions because we're ot here to talk about your wedding; we're here to talk about your marriage. The wedding is the first day, your marriage is all the days that come after it. Honestly, it's some of my favorite work. If I had unlimited time and resources, which I don't but if I did, I'd get a counseling degree and really dive further into it.

I also started Luber.
Well played.
Old 01-26-19, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post

Would be interested in your experience. You live in LA right?

The complaint the chick was telling me was that she had four people cancel on her which is a pain because she already left the house. She is using PM though not DD
Yeah, I'm in L.A.. I'll post my experiences once I get started. I've been watching a shit ton of YouTube clips - some are old, some are new, and experiences vary. The one thing that is constant, though, is that if you live in a major city/county - you'll make more. It's just a given. That's not even taking tips into account. That's the one factor that seems to push people over their "per hour" threshold and making it a viable way of making money. If you give people the option to tip, they won't. If they have to tip, then they will.

I actually signed up for PM but I did not finalize it. I need to start slow on this stuff.
Old 01-26-19, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Tips are included when customers pay online. Sometimes I get cash but it doesn't happen very often. I'm curious to here how it goes for you. I'd assume LA is broken up into a lot more areas in which you can drive orders.
Old 01-27-19, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I applied to Postmates and Grubhub. Grubhub is full and put me on a "waiting list." Postmates needs to verify my "selfie" and do a background check. There's another food courier called Caviar out there that specializes in slightly more expensive cuisine to get to folks. From what I've read/seen, the money you make on that platform is much higher because the food from these places is much more expensive. Although, when I mapped the restaurants that delivered to my place through Caviar, only one of them was semi-nice, the other two were just regular chinese food places, so I don't know what the criteria is to be listed through Caviar.

My DoorDash kit is still in transit. From what I could tell, it should arrive tomorrow. For some reason I thought it was gonna be sent from CA, but I think it's coming from Chicago.
Old 01-28-19, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I am a p/t Peace Officer and Court Officer in two towns. It pays $20 an hour but I really don't do it for the money, it can be fun and is very educational. I do three craft shows a year for my woodworking. I make a little profit but for the most part I use the sales just to buy tools and supplies. When I wanted a fancy new table saw or cnc, it didn't come out of the family budget. When it becomes an obligation or I get behind, it stops being a hobby and more like work then I don't enjoy it much. It is one of my retirement plans, do about 6 - 8 shows a year instead of the 3 I do now.
Old 01-29-19, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I got all my shit from DD and am technically ready to rock. The bummer is that my current schedule will not free up until next week at the earliest. I work this weekend at my regular job and I'd like to watch the game on Sunday.
Old 01-30-19, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Yea, man. Doing it with tickets the easiest money I've ever made. Some times thousands in a matter of minutes.
Any good site to get started with this, read up on it? Can you lose money?
Old 01-30-19, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Last night I'm in court for arraignment night. Usually an easy gig. Plead not guilty, get a trial date. Start at 5:30. Usually done by 7 or a little after. At 6:30 everyone is done but 2 eviction cases. We didn't get out of there until 8:05. Damn. We make a flat $40 for arraignment night. So 2 hours or less I'm making decent money. To stand around for 90 minutes to wait for these folks to negotiate new terms which will fall apart in 60 days anyway was frustrating. They should have done that before showing up to court. Working in the legal system is fascinating. I like to see the high school kids come in and observe. I hope we have some real good cases on the nights they are here. Too often people use google as a source of their knowledge and have never seen the system in action. Be on a jury instead of trying to get out of it. It is very educational.
Old 01-30-19, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
Any good site to get started with this, read up on it? Can you lose money?
I would assume there are website or videos with tips or something, but I've never looked anything up. Yes, you can lose money sometimes.
Old 02-10-19, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Any updates? I'm curious to hear what driving for DD is like in LA.
Old 02-10-19, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
Any updates? I'm curious to hear what driving for DD is like in LA.
Not yet. I meant to this past week but got sick. I'll see if I can try it this coming week at some point.
Old 02-10-19, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sorry you got sick, I hope to hear how it goes once you get started.
Old 02-10-19, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I live in a small town, so it would be impossible, but if I lived in a big city I'd try something like DD on the side.

I've always made some extra bucks on the side by buying and flipping vintage toys, movies, music, etc. either on ebay, Amazon or local shows. But most of this money just goes back into my hobby. My wife never complains about what new crap I've bought for my collection because it's all paid for by the hobby itself, never from my paycheck.