Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

25 years ago today - Northridge Earthquake

Old 01-17-19, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

25 years ago today - Northridge Earthquake

I know only a handful of us on here are in SoCal but I was in Northridge during this quake staying at my girlfriends one bedroom house. After the quake the main support beam was cracked and leaning so we quickly gathered what we could and left to try to get to Santa Clarita.. I'll never forget that drive. Flames shooting out of sewers and storm drains, floods, huge potholes, and the freeways were pretty empty since folks were afraid of driving under the overpasses. The Newhall pass was a disaster with the collapse of the 14 transition but I was able to make it through. Got home to a house with a cracked foundation and lots of damage. Wasn't a good day. I wouldn't have guessed we'd have gone 25 years without another one the same size.. but I'm glad we have.
Old 01-17-19, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: 25 years ago today - Northridge Earthquake

I was going to Valley College in Van Nuys back then (but living in West Covina). Most of my collectibles were knocked from my shelves and a bunch of stuff broke but the house and cars were fine. Van Nuys wasn't as lucky. I remember driving around town later that day and seeing buildings sandwiched on their foundations and soooooo much damage.
Old 01-17-19, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

It’s been said that a good number of Fantasia laserdisc box sets were destroyed in that earthquake, which for the warehouse was a good thing as they would never be able to sell all of them. It was the most overproduced “limited edition” in history.

Wes Craven’s New Nightmare used some shots of earthquake damaged buildings, so that worked out pretty well for them.
Old 01-17-19, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I was at work at a radio station in Long Beach. I just sat down and the copy holder in front of me was shaking which was normal....but it kept shaking this time and saw that everything else was shaking. The shaking knocked us off the air. I went to the door and looked into the night sky and saw flashes of light throughout the horizon. I think it was a combo of transformers sparking and the much debated "Earthquake Lights".

When the sun came up, I was still at the station waiting for another person to show up and an aftershock hit while were at the door. The power poles just outside were swaying back and forth like toys.
Old 01-17-19, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was going to medical school in Kansas at the time, but as luck would have it, just happened to be spending that night at my mother's house in Brentwood that night because I had a residency interview scheduled on the Tuesday at UC Irvine (that Monday was MLK Jr day). Woke up at whatever time that was in the middle of the night to a shaking bed. Then my sister's boom box (I was staying in her bedroom) fell off the shelf over the bed and hit me square in the head -- searing pain. Tried to turn on a light and they were out, so I went into the living room in the dark. Cut my bare foot on a broken bar glass. Found my mother and said "I hate this fucking state!".

Of course I ended up matching at UC Irvine for residency.
Old 01-17-19, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I was laying in my waterbed in San Pedro. A week or so earlier my neighbor asked me if I could feel an earthquake in a waterbed. When it happened, she knocked on my bedroom wall at 4:30 a.m. and asked if I felt it. I did. The only damage we had was a cracked window.
Old 01-17-19, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

I was still in high school. To give an example of its power. We lived in a beach town 40 Miles away and we felt it good. Pictures on the walls slapped and shook like crazy. I’d felt many earlier earthquakes but I remember feeling like “this is bad” because it was so long. It just went on and on.
Old 01-17-19, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember that the freeways were damaged so people started taking the commuter trains to work. But as soon as the roads were repaired, the trains were empty again.
Old 01-17-19, 10:05 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
I know only a handful of us on here are in SoCal but I was in Northridge during this quake staying at my girlfriends one bedroom house. After the quake the main support beam was cracked and leaning so we quickly gathered what we could and left to try to get to Santa Clarita.
Why was Santa Clarita better, safer or less damaged? Looks like you ended up staying there since.
Old 01-18-19, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

They way I read it he means he wanted to get home to check his house.
Old 01-18-19, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Yeah my family was/is in Santa Clarita and it was my parents house which was damaged. My sister was much luckier. I was actually living on base at Edwards AFB at the time but there wasn't any damage there.
Old 01-18-19, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Lived in San Diego, so felt it but watched it from a distance.
Old 01-20-19, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was in Irvine so just lost power briefly, but my brother was in Northridge and went running from the apartment in a panic. His place ended up with a yellow tag (condemned, but you could go in and get your stuff). When we went in there, balconys were in the pool, and there was a huge hole in his bedroom wall. Also he lived across the street from a collapsed parking garage which was pretty weird to see (it was kind of folded over more than fully collapsed).